• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portuguese Coastal path on a budget

Trekker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2014
Hi all,
I will be spending the year in Spain from May and am hoping to walk another Camino or two. I would like to walk the Camino Portuguese Coastal path from Porto, and I plan to order/buy the latest John Brierley book, but not until I arrive in Spain in May as I don't have an address to send it to yet.
In the meantime I wanted to check I can actually afford to walk this camino. Has anyone who has walked this route done so on a budget - most of the information I'm finding is on accommodation costing anywhere from 30 euros up. When I walked the Camino Frances in 2014 I spent AU$33, or 24 euro a day, that's including all accommodation, food, resupplies, postage of extra equipment etc. I stayed in albergues the entire time save one night when they were all full and a hotel was necessary.
I was hoping the Camino Portuguese Coastal path can be walked for an average of no more than 27 euros. I will be following the coastal route as per the John Brieley book. Am I dreaming or is this possible, please let me know your experiences :)
If Portugal proves too expensive I am also open to walking the Camino Norte or other routes that aren't too remote for a solo female walker.
Many thanks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The point is at the Portugues side of the coastal there are some albergues but these are more expensive than the ones in Spain.
Sometimes you have to stay in hostals.
On the other hand the costs of living are far beyond those in Spain so moreless it is compensated.
As soon as you arrive in Spain you will find the 6€ a night albergues.

Hi all,
I will be spending the year in Spain from May and am hoping to walk another Camino or two. I would like to walk the Camino Portuguese Coastal path from Porto, and I plan to order/buy the latest John Brierley book, but not until I arrive in Spain in May as I don't have an address to send it to yet.
In the meantime I wanted to check I can actually afford to walk this camino. Has anyone who has walked this route done so on a budget - most of the information I'm finding is on accommodation costing anywhere from 30 euros up. When I walked the Camino Frances in 2014 I spent AU$33, or 24 euro a day, that's including all accommodation, food, resupplies, postage of extra equipment etc. I stayed in albergues the entire time save one night when they were all full and a hotel was necessary.
I was hoping the Camino Portuguese Coastal path can be walked for an average of no more than 27 euros. I will be following the coastal route as per the John Brieley book. Am I dreaming or is this possible, please let me know your experiences :)
If Portugal proves too expensive I am also open to walking the Camino Norte or other routes that aren't too remote for a solo female walker.
Many thanks.
I don't think the Brierly book is worth buying if you want info on the Coastal path as all you get are the small maps with altitude graph and a list of places to stay for that section. There is no detailed description of each stage as there is in all his other guides. For instance there are lots of detour options once you cross the Spanish border along the Senda Litoral but not covered at all in this guide. We are using an app called ridewithgps to plan our route. Been Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Or how about a mix of coastal and central? We walked first day to Matosinhos and stayed in a pension for 20 euros for two people. Next day coast walk as far as Vila Cha where we zipped inland to the monastery at Vairao (fabulous welcome, great kitchen, spacious rooms with few beds in each, donativo).
From there we went north and the most expensive accommodation was 10 euros. As Albertinho says, the food is cheap - eg 3 course pilgrim meal 6 euros. Second plate was a whole grilled fish with rice and vegetables - not like Camino Frances meals!

I don't think the Brierly book is worth buying if you want info on the Coastal path as all you get are the small maps with altitude graph and a list of places to stay for that section. There is no detailed description of each stage as there is in all his other guides. For instance there are lots of detour options once you cross the Spanish border along the Senda Litoral but not covered at all in this guide. We are using an app called ridewithgps to plan our route. Been Camino

Thank you for the info on the app.
I had read that his 2016 Portuguese book would contain a totally new section on the coastal way. Out of interest which version of the Brierley book are you referring too?

Or how about a mix of coastal and central? We walked first day to Matosinhos and stayed in a pension for 20 euros for two people. Next day coast walk as far as Vila Cha where we zipped inland to the monastery at Vairao (fabulous welcome, great kitchen, spacious rooms with few beds in each, donativo).
From there we went north and the most expensive accommodation was 10 euros. As Albertinho says, the food is cheap - eg 3 course pilgrim meal 6 euros. Second plate was a whole grilled fish with rice and vegetables - not like Camino Frances meals!

Great info! Thank you :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That is simply not true. The new edition I hold in my hands does offer detailed information on the coastal route, from pages 198 to 214, just as detailed as the other route.

I had read that his 2016 Portuguese book would contain a totally new section on the coastal way. Out of interest which version of the Brierley book are you referring too?
The 2016 editon does contain the information you are looking for.

7th edition 2016. Basically it is the Camino Portuguese route as in previous editions with just 15 pages (7 stages ) on the route from Vila da Conde - Redondela.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi all,
Many thanks.

I can confirm what other's have said regarding JB guide - just be sure it is 2016 7th edition. You could maybe order it from forum shop (mine include passport/credencial), and have it shipped to address of accommodation when you arrive in Porto?
If you are on a budget then consider the other resources on this forum such as this one
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-route-portugues-route-monacal-coastal.35534/

I have not studied JB guide in detail for my upcoming Camino Portuguese, but generally in Portugal expect to pay more, or, you may meet pilgrims on the way with whom to share expenses.
Buen Camino,

Janice

Hi all,
Many thanks.
I followed the Brierley book last year. From Porto the first day was along the beaches to Vila do Conde (long day if you don't take the Metro to Matosinhos) then inland. Wonderful towns bridges and churches. Hostels quite cheap and food tops.
This year May 20th to May 31st (Rock in Lisbon 19th(Queen) then a wedding on 3rd June)With restricted time I am walking the coast route until it reaches Redondela and then following last years route Caladas de Reis, Padron to Santiago.
You can down load lots of maps and hostel information from a gentleman who has given coastal routes from Lisbon.
( with variants for wheelchair users ( So if the worse happens!))
Just type----- O' Luis do Freixo- O Caminhos Portugueses a Santiago. A great website!
2017 I will hope for enough time to do this full Lisbon coastal option.

2016 edition. As I said the "coastal info" is very sparse.

thank you for this. I also am traveling on a tight budget.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

on his page john brierley states that his 2008 guide (published in late 2017) will contain a full text version of the coastal route as well. so you might want to wait for this one to be published.

from what I have gathered so far, there are sufficient albergues on the coastal route for reasonable stages of around 20km (sometimes less), plus four orbitour camping sites that take pilgrims into bungalows (with obligatory reservation via email). the only exception seems to be vigo where you can stay in Hostal Kaps for €15-25 in a dorm (according to JB).

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back