• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portuguese

Frankybaby66

Time of past OR future Camino
Last Camino Sep 23 Camino Portuguese (Central)
Hi all, I am planning on walking from Porto to Santiago next May(2022). I did the Camino Frances from SJPDP in May/June 2016. I walked that 'solo', and returned the following year with my wife and walked from Roncesvalles to Burgos. This time I only have a fortnight available to me, hence the start in Porto rather than Lisbon
My wife no longer does the long-distance walking, so I'm flying solo again. Any insight on walking Porto to Santiago would be useful (I think I'm going to opt for the Central route with a few km on the coastal route to get me out of Porto, than back to Central route via Rates).
Looking forward to connecting with some of you soon. By the way, I'm planning on using Albergues for the most part, with maybe the odd treat thrown in. (Parador in Santiago??)
Speak soon, Frank 🙂

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi all, I am planning on walking from Porto to Santiago next May(2022). I did the Camino Frances from SJPDP in May/June 2016. I walked that 'solo', and returned the following year with my wife and walked from Roncesvalles to Burgos. This time I only have a fortnight available to me, hence the start in Porto rather than Lisbon
My wife no longer does the long-distance walking, so I'm flying solo again. Any insight on walking Porto to Santiago would be useful (I think I'm going to opt for the Central route with a few km on the coastal route to get me out of Porto, than back to Central route via Rates).
Looking forward to connecting with some of you soon. By the way, I'm planning on using Albergues for the most part, with maybe the odd treat thrown in. (Parador in Santiago??)
Speak soon, Frank 🙂
Welcome to the Forum.
You will find lots of info in the Forum section
Camino Portuguese to help with your planning

Whenever you do go, Bom caminho!

Last edited:
Wonderful! I took the central route from Coimbra in 2019 when really bad weather effectively closed the coast route. At first I was disappointed, but then I fell in love with the stretch from Porto to Valenca (and the whole thing onward in Galicia).

I still dream of the roasted chicken I had in Barcelos at Galitos restaurant (which has lovely architecture as much as great food). I spent 2 days in town, resting a blister and was able to take in the archeological site, a total treasure.

I am not as fond of Portuguese baked goods for breakfast as I am of tortilla and empanada; I find them too sweet and heavy, but I determined that a pastel de natas de quaxia (like a natas but without the crust, it’s basically a milk custard with cinnamon, shaped like a tart and solid like a soft cheese) with an espresso did a fine job of carrying me through mornings until the more savoury main meal of the day.

In Aguéda, I stayed at Resedentiale Celeste which was comfortable, well equipped, in a pretty setting, near to a Lidl grocery and with a great kitchen set up for making one’s supper. They also offered a fantastic buffet breakfast. I list this even though it is before Porto because depending on your speed, you might make it in 14 days from below Porto...

All the major stopping points along the way were real surprises to me: gorgeous, and with great architecture and history... Rodendela, Pontevedra, Caldas de Reis, Padrón (you can get a “Padronia” certificate there; just go into the tourist office after you have visited at least one of the churches... I suggest the one that actually houses the padron of St. James). I stayed at the Albergue Rossol (named for the woman, poet laureate from early 20th C) across from the church and it had excellent accommodations.

I am so glad I was forced inland!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked the Central Route in 2016. As noted above there are very nice towns and cities along the way and the countryside is nice. A top spot for me was Ponte de Lima; I thought the town was beautiful, especially the approach to the city. Bob Caminho!
Ponte de Lima was my favorite spot as well. Just enough Hub in the hub-Bub, and a very scenic riverside walk canopied with trees entering in to town. Very photo worthy! I loved it! Bom Caminho!

Wherever/whenever you walk do remember that
Spain is one hour ahead of Portugal
For more re why see this reportage

Years ago in happier times my husband and I rushed back from Tui, Spain, to Valenca do Minho, Portugal, to arrive at the Pousada in time for late Sunday lunch in winter. No hurry was necessary for we arrived in VdM before we had left Tui! Of course we had plenty of time for that lunch!

In O Porriño this place has very good food which I always enjoyed; they also offer rooms and you can reserve.
http://hostalmaracaibo.webnode.es/

2 km from Balugaēs on the camino towards Ponte de Lima is the quite splendid Casa do Rio. Their private rooms were very comfortable and copious meals most delicious. Try it for a special treat. The overall ambiance was as lush as any pousada.
Here is their web--
www.casasdoriobarcelos.com

Bom caminho and Buen camino!

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Four of us old timers walked this three years ago. It was a great trip. Wonderful food, very friendly folks along the way. We walked the coastal the first day but then crossed over to the central route. Great trip.

Buen Camino

The Central Route has many beautiful sections.. I must second the sentiment of others for our love of Ponte de Lima. If you have the time do the Spiritual Variant. I have not done it yet but I heard it was beautiful. Porto too is a beautiful City. Alot of road walking but it is still lovely. First time I started in Lisbon. Next time I do it I will start in Faro. Buen Camino!

After changing my step off date twice this year, 9 May then to 29 July. United just informed me they have canceled portions of my July flight to Porto. Good news is I get a full refund of airfare from United. Bad news is, I still don't think international travel (US to EU to US) is going to open up anytime soon. So I have decided not to do the Portuguese this year. Tentative new date to arrive in Porto 20 May 2022, step off 22 May 2022. Things have got to be better by then right??

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you have the time do the Spiritual Variant. I have not done it yet but I heard it was beautiful.
This was going to be my first recommendation too. It’s hard to give a lot of tips right now because I’m on my phone while on camino (!) but the VE is not to be missed in my view. These are my favourite things about it: Variante Espiritual Highlights.

Welcome to the Forum.
You will find lots of info in the Forum section
Camino Portuguese to help with your planning

Whenever you do go, Bom caminho!
We walked from Lisbon in 2017 after doing the CF in 2016. In Porto, we skipped over the coastal route and were very glad we did. Walking on the boardwalk was badly needed after days of walking on the 4x4 cobblestones. The Portuguese route is very different but you will still enjoy it. The meditative walking is what is most important to me.

Hi there.I walked Porto to vile de condes then turned inwards to join central route in sept 2019.I must say it was far better for me on the central as I didn’t enjoy that first day along the coast.just my preference.
I agree with other posters that punte de Lima is a must to see and enjoy. I hope to go back and do primitivo in September if things get better.
good luck and hope to see other pilgrims on the Camino sooner rather than later.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
After changing my step off date twice this year, 9 May then to 29 July. United just informed me they have canceled portions of my July flight to Porto. Good news is I get a full refund of airfare from United. Bad news is, I still don't think international travel (US to EU to US) is going to open up anytime soon. So I have decided not to do the Portuguese this year. Tentative new date to arrive in Porto 20 May 2022, step off 22 May 2022. Things have got to be better by then right??
Hi - I had something similar happen to me with an airline in Canada. I was booked to leave on September 20th this year and they rebooked my flight to leave on September 23rd which would play havoc with my plans so I cancelled my flight. I rebooked with Air Canada who partners with Lufthansa so all is good new. Flying back and forth with them now. Portugal just announced today that it is opening up to International travellers. Can you go in the fall?

Speak soon, Frank 🙂
Hi
I walked Camino da Costa in 2019. Initially you walk out of Porto from the cathedral on the same road as the Central route. However at about 5k at Padrao da Lequa you need to veer off to the left to head for the coast. It is not well marked among all the other street furniture about. I missed it and wound up having to trek across country to get back on track rather than go back. That said the alburgue Santiago Labruge is a delightful place to end your first day's walking.
Buen Camino
Vince

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.