• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino prep

andywild

Time of past OR future Camino
CF april 18.. CP sep 18.. CF april 2020
Hi all, just a quickie,
I start my camino in just under two weeks.. I only decided to book a Camino a week or so ago, meaning I've had a total of 3 weeks to prepare.
After 49 years of eating only pizza, kebab and chips I've been eating salad for the last 10 days but it doesn't seem to be making me healthy.. is there anything else I could try?
Nuts maybe?
Hugs
Andy x

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'd concentrate more on getting some walking in to prepare!
But less kebabs and chips are generally a good idea. I'd try to get in some decent protein as these help with muscles (eg eggs, chicken etc), and some vegetables too.

Hi all, just a quickie,
I start my camino in just under two weeks.. I only decided to book a Camino a week or so ago, meaning I've had a total of 3 weeks to prepare.
After 49 years of eating only pizza, kebab and chips I've been eating salad for the last 10 days but it doesn't seem to be making me healthy.. is there anything else I could try?
Nuts maybe?
Hugs
Andy x
Completely made up rule of thumb (Bird´s Law): whatever time it takes to accrue damage will take an equal or greater time to undo. So the question you need to ask yourself is ´Am I prepared to eat salad every day until I am aged 98 minus 10 days?´

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Completely made up rule of thumb (Bird´s Law): whatever time it takes to accrue damage will take an equal or greater time to undo. So the question you need to ask yourself is ´Am I prepared to eat salad every day until I am aged 98 minus 10 days?´
Oh dear, after 49 years of kebabs there's a very slim chance I'll hit 98.. in fact that's the only slim thing about me

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi all, just a quickie,
Nuts maybe?
Hugs
Andy x
Nuts? Possibly. Never eat more than you can lift.

Couple of options:

Eat like your slightly more hairy friend on the right of your photo?

Find a Time Machine?

Or my personal diet: drink colder beer. Clearly this consumes more calories to warm up to body temperature once consumed. It’s science.

You look comfortable in your own skin; regardless of there being quite a lot of it.

Nuts maybe?
Well, fixing that prior to leaving in 2 weeks won't be possible -- but get your diet animal fat based ; which includes any dairy and eggs so cheeses, charcuteries, yoghurt, even ice cream !! Though the basis of it should be fatty meat.

Kebab is good though, in its fundamentals, especially if you cut out the bread and chips.

Then in Spain, combine the hiking with a daily or every 2-3 days menú del día, and get the meat or fish, whatever it is. Spanish cooked veg are generally fine in this context, even for those of us with poor metabolism.

I'm down to about a pizza a year -- by coincidence, this year's was last night.

It's a long process, between 2 to 4 months to see the first benefits ; but once you're into it, you can teach yourself by trial and error which foods you can re-introduce and which not.

My own necessaries are steak, eggs, pork belly ; everything else is supplementary to that basis. But I have extra food restrictions beyond the norm, so that it's likely that some form of meat & veg should do the trick for you (carnivore diet or keto can be tried by anyone as an elimination diet, but blimming heck not experimentally on a Camino !! Those who actually need such diets are a small minority of people, not typical Joe Public). But the benefits of eggs, especially fresh never-refrigerated ones, are not to be underestimated.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi all, just a quickie,
Nuts maybe?
Hugs
Andy x
Start walking with 10-12 lb backpack every day for an hour, rest, then another hour. drink lots of water.
When you get to your Camino start with short days--3-4 miles, then increase as your body tells you.
take a day off after 3-4 days. repeat. If the heat wave is still on over there be very aware of what your body says. Stop and smell the roses often. lots of water.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Do what Bellbutt says above...but use electrolytes with your water...lack of electrolytes can end your Camino pretty fast.
Luckily for you, both Aquarius and beer are plentiful, at least along the Frances...is that the Camino you're on?
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast....and Buen Camino

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi all, just a quickie,
Nuts maybe?
Hugs
Andy x
Protein! Veggies, fruit, water, walk walk walk.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Do what Bellbutt says above...but use electrolytes with your water...lack of electrolytes can end your Camino pretty fast.
Luckily for you, both Aquarius and beer are plentiful, at least along the Frances...is that the Camino you're on?
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast....and Buen Camino
My electrolytes this spring Camino was drinking good quantities of water and eating a bag of tomate flavoured Lays chips (almost daily lol). Never had a cramp. 😁

Hey, who am I to critique how you got your salt? 😉
But from my own personal experience, plus my experience from rescuing multiple people on half marathons (I'm really slow), more people neglect their salt/electrolyte intake (sodium/potassium, plus calcium and magnesium). Then, they cramp out or faint out.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.