• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino stamp when needing to stray off-stage?

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024
How do you get the camino stamp in Portugal if you occasionally travel or stay off-stage? I will be going on my first camino in April, 2024 along the Camino Portugues, starting from Lisbon. I searched on the forum, and unless I missed it, my question has not been previously posted.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I never found this to be an issue on the CP in either circumstance, ie going off-stage (whatever that means) and going off-route where one doesn't follow exactly the waymarked trail.

How do you get the camino stamp in Portugal if you occasionally travel or stay off-stage? I will be going on my first camino in April, 2024 along the Camino Portugues, starting from Lisbon. I searched on the forum, and unless I missed it, my question has not been previously posted.
Starting from Lisbon 5 Apr24. Might see you along the way. Cooee

You can get a business stamp, but stamps are only required if you plan to get a Compostela and then it’s only mandatory twice a day for the last 100km. Prior to that, stamps are simply souvenirs of your travels.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If attending services, the priest will usually stamp your credencial. Otherwise the town hall or turismo will do it, but there's always police stations, bars, restaurants, shops..... Spain and Portugal both require businesses to have sellos for receipts etc. You'll have no trouble. While you may not need them absolutely for your compostela, they might be handy for the distance certificate and, in any case, they are useful for helping to establish your alibi should you be in trouble with the law.

You can get a business stamp, but stamps are only required if you plan to get a Compostela and then it’s only mandatory twice a day for the last 100km. Prior to that, stamps are simply souvenirs of your travels.
We plan to get Compostelas. We’re biking because both my brother and I can no longer hike long distances. Why is it mandatory to get stamps 2X/day for the last 100 km?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We plan to get Compostelas. We’re biking because both my brother and I can no longer hike long distances. Why is it mandatory to get stamps 2X/day for the last 100 km?
If you are cycling you need to get stamps twice a day during the last 200 km. These stamps are meant to prove that you cycled every km and didn't take public transport.

Here's the text from the Pilgrims Office:

To get the “Compostela” you must:

• Make the pilgrimage for religious or spiritual reasons, or at least an attitude of search.
  • Do the last 100 km on foot or horseback, or the last 200 km by bicycle. It is understood that the pilgrimage starts at one point and from there you come to visit the Tomb of St. James.
  • You must collect the stamps on the “Credencial del Peregrino” from the places you pass through to certify that you have been there. Stamps from churches, hostels, monasteries, cathedrals and all places related to the Way are preferred, but if not they can also be stamped in other institutions: town halls, cafés, etc. You have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims).

Because it is. It’s pretty much the only ‘rule’ printed on the credencial.

The intent is, I suppose, to try to ensure that the applicant for a compostela has walked the last 100km. It’s an imperfect solution, but it is what it is.

Edit: biking; 200km

If all else fails then just ask the owner where you are staying/eating/drinking to sign and write the details of their establishment.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you are biking, you probably need two stamps a day for the last 200 km (the minimum distance for cyclists).

The real answer is "because the Cathedral authorities, who make the rules" say so. The speculation is that it is to show that you didn't just take a taxi from one set of accommodations to the next. Of course, one can easily drive and stop for another stamp at a bar along the way, so two stamps is no guarantee. Which leads us back to the real answer.

Most hotels, hostels, restaurants, bars, churches and post offices will have stamps that will suffice.

When I started the walk from Portugal in Lisbon, the place I stayed in had no idea what the Camino even was. I asked for a stamp, the owner said "a what?" I showed her a previous Credential. I said it just basically shows the location, and date, of my trip. She responded, "Can I just write it?" I said, "sure". One of the most unique "stamps" I have.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
200km if on bike! It shows that you made the journey.

We went off route a couple of times, and much to my surprise, we were still able to get stamps!

When I walked the VdlP this year I made my own, longer route into Santiago, via Pardon, Noia, finesterra etc so was completely off the official route at times so I asked petrol stations to sign them and cafes. One cafe didn't have a stamp, yet alone heard of a credencial but they were happy to sign and date and write their address in the little box for me. The pilgrim office weren't the slightest bit concerned. It was one of my favourite souvenirs in my credencial as, not only was it a gorgeous cafe but the girl behind the counter was genuinely interested in the Camino and the various stamps the different establishments had.
I shall do the same route next month when I reach Pardon; head west towards Noia and stop at that cafe again.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back