• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Start decision

Northernwalker

Time of past OR future Camino
May-June 2024
Hi, I am struggling with whether to begin in SJPDP then onto Pamplona or Estella (I only have so much time) or from Sarria to Santiago. I am coming from Canada so lots of logistics involved. I am wondering which would be the best first time experience for a first time Camino. I am wondering with the rising popularity of the Sarria route, if doing this now then back to SJPD next year and continue in segments is a good way to go? Thank you for anyone with similar experience in trying to decide.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
When? I did Sarria to Santiago on June 2023 and January 2024. It was fine. Busy in the summer and very commercial. Deserted in the winter, with fewer services, but plenty of places to stay.

If you start in SJPDP, Pamplona, or Estella, it will be a different feel. Fewer pilgrims, but more of an "in it for the long haul" feel that pulls you back year after year. You'll see more of the country over time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
For me, there's something very special about finishing in Santiago with those that you've met along the way. I wouldn't want to have to go home while everyone else continued on. But that's me.
You can always walk a different route, like the Inglés which you can complete in 5 days.

For me, there's something very special about finishing in Santiago with those that you've met along the way. I wouldn't want to have to go home while everyone else continued on. But that's me.
You can always walk a different route, like the Inglés which you can complete in 5 days.

After two partial Camino Frances (SJPDP to Logrono and Logrono to Castrojeritz) my third I was determined to end in Santiago. It was so hard saying goodbye to people knowing they are continuing toward Santiago and i was going home. So, I totally agree with trecile about the feeling of entering Santiago with people you have walked with :) But in my case it worked out perfectly. Starting in SJPDP and ending in Santiago almost 6 years later.

After I did "short" "full" Camino Portuguese and loved the "start to finish" feel. Getting ready for a 6 week del Norte now.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would start at the beginning SJPdP, from there to Estella is a beautiful walk and for me some of my favourite time on the Camino. Sarria to SdC is very different, not unpleasant but couldn't beat the sheer beauty of the first few weeks. If you then intend to try and complete the rest at a later date it's better to do it that way. You might even find you can walk longer days than anticipated, so could end up going further along.

Obviously as people have said it is difficult saying goodbye to people if you meet and walk with them often, but a lot of people do this to be able to complete their Camino in sections.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When? I did Sarria to Santiago on June 2023 and January 2024. It was fine. Busy in the summer and very commercial. Deserted in the winter, with fewer services, but plenty of places to stay.

If you start in SJPDP, Pamplona, or Estella, it will be a different feel. Fewer pilgrims, but more of an "in it for the long haul" feel that pulls you back year after year. You'll see more of the country over time.
I will start in early June. My only concern is that in the next few years the Sarria route becomes more popular, so I was thinking of doing it and getting that part out of the way before too many crowds ruin any experience.
I'm also 60 so wondering if Sarria would be a better initiation for the first time? Thoughts?

I will start in early June. My only concern is that in the next few years the Sarria route becomes more popular, so I was thinking of doing it and getting that part out of the way before too many crowds ruin any experience.
I'm also 60 so wondering if Sarria would be a better initiation for the first time? Thoughts?
If it is your first Camino, you will have nothing else to compare to it really. Yes, it is crowded in June, especially in the mornings. The way to avoid this is to stay at someplace "in between". Arrive in Sarria mid-afternoon by bus or early evening by train the first day. Go into a store and get a stamp for your credential. Walk to Barbadelo and spend the first night. Wake up early and you'll be ahead of the crowd. Walk to just before or just after Portomarin and spend the night. Next day, walk to either just before or just after Palas del Rey, etc. You'll miss the thundering herd in the mornings and you'll be around fewer people in the evening.

There's lots of places "in between" on this stretch so you don't have to be caught up in the crowd if you sleep in the towns that are not considered the "stage" stop.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I really think that the danger of crowds is oversold. I walked the busiest part of this section last year, at the busiest time of year and didn't find crowds overwhelming. In fact, I had plenty of solitude and mostly had only one or two other pilgrims in sight. That said, I was staying "in between", as J Willhaus suggests.

The challenge with getting that part "out of the way" is that it is the last part of any Camino Frances, the part that leads directly into Santiago and the cathedral.

In general, my advice would vary depending on how much time you have, whether you think you are likely to return, and what is drawing you to the Camino Frances in particular. If you are drawn to the Frances and are confident you might return, there is nothing wrong with starting wherever you consider the Frances to start and walking as far as you want this trip and resuming from where you left off on a future trip. Just be sure that you get your credential stamped where you stopped and stamped again there when you resume. If you are not so drawn in particular to the Frances, or are not sure that you are going to return, it might make sense to pick another Camino where you can feel like you've walked the "whole" Camino and make it into Santiago. If you really want to walk the Frances, however, there is nothing wrong with figuring out how much time you have, and how far you think you can walk, and starting the Frances that far from Santiago (giving yourself a bit of a cushion, of course).

Based on my experiences on Caminos, and those of many pilgrims I met, I wouldn't consider your age an important factor (speaking as someone who is also 60).

Great insight, thank you. I do travel with a bit of anxiety but that hasn't stopped me from going to many places around the world. The length of time of 30+ days would be very difficult. I would like to do a week or maybe 10 days at a time. For many, time equals money, carbon footprints etc. For me personally, I could only do the above length of time. So for a first time Camino, I'm looking for what might make me feel more at ease. Once I sort my bearings on this Camino, I can then do another with a bit more confidence. From your insight, would you have any suggestions? I wish it were more simple. Thank you

I think in your case, I would probably start in Tui or Vigo, on the Portugues. There is a lot of infrastructure to support a first time pilgrim. There is a good pilgrim community. But there are less of the organized groups that many find distracting in the section between Sarria and Santiago, and you don't have to worry about staying "off-stage" and can benefit from the more amenities in the "on stage" places. And you end up in Santiago and can walk away with a Compostela.

Although to be fair, I haven't walked the section from Sarria to Santiago in June. There are probably a lot less organized groups then than in July and August.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Great insight, thank you. I do travel with a bit of anxiety but that hasn't stopped me from going to many places around the world. The length of time of 30+ days would be very difficult. I would like to do a week or maybe 10 days at a time. For many, time equals money, carbon footprints etc. For me personally, I could only do the above length of time. So for a first time Camino, I'm looking for what might make me feel more at ease. Once I sort my bearings on this Camino, I can then do another with a bit more confidence. From your insight, would you have any suggestions? I wish it were more simple. Thank you
It is simple and the simplicity is waking up, putting your things in a pack and walking much of the day. The only things you need to think about are remembering your phone charger and maybe where you want to stop for breaks. Sarria to Santiago is pretty and green in June. Lots of flowers, etc.

But it is really up to you. I could start anywhere and love it and feel like a pilgrim. I provided info about that section because you asked, but you need to consider your wishes and what you want. We can suggest and provide information, but it will be your Camino and your decision.

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back