• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camping in the Portugal Camino

Fromista

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2015, 2017), Camino Portuguese 23
I am planning to walk from Porto to Santiago in April (Portugal Camino, coastal path). I would like to take my tent and camp, wherever it is possible. If you were camping along the coastal way, please share your experience - any list of camping's, place recommended to stay, or anything you might want to share about the route would help me - I would really appreciate your advice.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Camping in the wild is forbidden in Portugal.
There are campings along the coast
We stayed at the Orbitur Angeiras camping , the one in Vila Praia de Âncora and one just before Vila do Conde

I understand you follow the coast untll Vigo and take the ferry between Caminha and A Guarda .

I advise you to google
Parques de Campismo em Portugal and Camping sites in Galicia

Dear All, I completed the Portugal Camino. I managed to camp 5 nights mostly in Portugal. The campsite in Caminho Vilarelho) was only 9 euro and I was happy because my budget is tight. The most expensive site 17 euro. ( 2 persons and a tent). In Spain and Portugal the campsites were all along the coast and most of them were off route. The Higly recommended one in Via de Castello was closed and that was a hard day. Vila Chà was perfect and quiet it had a bar with great staff. The camping in Faò was the worst the most expensive with no facilities. They hardly wanted to let us in. Belinho thankfully was perfect the best location and lovely receptionist. We forgive them that the wifi was working in small area of the camping only.
We still contributed to local businesses by being there but we still deserve to be pilgrims even if we travel with less financial possibilities than most of the pilgrims. Tent gives you peace, more privacy and no snoring! I had sleeping problems before but not in the fresh air in the tent. I highly recommend camping who want to walk and feel the need to go even with smaller budget. I had amazing heartwarming time as I walked around Easter and walking the Portugal Camino is very rewarding.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back