• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camping on the Camino Frances

Valerie Haberman

Time of past OR future Camino
September/October (2017) Camino Frances
Hello,

I am planning to walk the Camino Frances solo in September/October 2017. I would like to camp at least half the time if possible. Is it easy to find a place to camp? I will be studying some Spanish before I go, but my only language is English at this time and I doubt I will be conversationally Spanish competent by that time. So I am concerned about being able to find the information when I get there. I would appreciate any advice for this possibility... I seem to be finding a lot of mixed information.

Valerie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Valerie, welcome to the forum. Try using the forum search facility (top right hand corner of the page). Search 'camping' and you will find a wealth of information and discussion.

There are limited official campsites along the Frances, some Albergues permit camping. Wild camping is not permitted in Spain though some people do it regardless.

Happy researching

The Camino is not suited for camping. Much of the route passes through active agricultural areas where camping would involve damaging crops or setting up on cow patties. Surface water quality is suspect ... due to industrial farming ... so you'd have to carry your water for the time spent in campsites.

If you want to go hiking try looking for GR routes.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm in SJPdP now. At first as I was planning to bring my tent as I love camping, but I'm now glad I didn't as I'm mentally preparing to cross over the Pyrenees tomorrow and I feel my bag is already too heavy. I did compromise by taking a small light weight camping burner, but it is highly possible that I won't carry it all the way to Santiago. Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Peg, though a backpacker, this time wanted a hike where she wouldn't have to sleep on the ground. Still, going along the CF I did keep my eyes open looking for good places to camp because that was what I was used too. I didn't see anything that I would have been comfortable staying until Galicia. And then it would still have to have been camping on the sly.

I'm in SJPdP now. At first as I was planning to bring my tent as I love camping, but I'm now glad I didn't as I'm mentally preparing to cross over the Pyrenees tomorrow and I feel my bag is already too heavy. I did compromise by taking a small light weight camping burner, but it is highly possible that I won't carry it all the way to Santiago. Buen Camino
I think you will be very happy with your decision.
Buen Camino!

Hello.
I walked in 2012 and planned to camp the whole way. I reluctantly ended up ditching my tent on day 4 and unfortunately couldn't ditch any more weight as my gear was expensive so had to carry it the whole way. Albergues are much cheaper than you think and a better atmosphere plus less chance of waking up to an atv and shotgun pointing at you at 2am as another pilgrim I met had received. He also ditched his camping gear after a few days

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've done several Caninos in Spain and slept outside a lot. I've also met many people who only camped the whole way and had neither troubles or regrets. We all enjoyed it and had nice and comfortable nights...
Like said, there are not so many camping grounds. However, it's legally ok to wild-camp: there are just some rules to be aware of. I also disagree with the idea that the Camino is not suited for camping: it's a place like any other. It's always possible to find a decent and respectful spot to (wild-)camp; I found it not too hard to find such spots either.
As for gears, it's quite a matter... lots to say and think about it! But it's doable to have stuffs that are not too heavy or too expensive. (Ie. I've walked a Camino with a 6kg backpack that had everything I needed to comfortably sleep and cook outside).

Wild camping is very regulated in Spain and reference to bivouacking is vague. The topic is quite complex and gives Spanish people themselves quite a headache. A state law considers camping a gathering of tents in a 500m radius. It's "wild camping" when out of camping grounds and forbidden for more than 3 tents, 10 campers and 3 days in a row. So, legally and theoretically, bivouacking is ok. But each autonomous community can regulate their own area to their will and sames goes for municipalities: that's where things get messy.
To make it short and simple, on the CFrancés (Navarra, La Rioja, Castilla y Leon and Galicia), if it's camping as 1 tent, 1 person, 1 night, it's legally and theoretically ok.
Note also that legally, one is supposed to respect the environment (basically, leave no trace), keep some distance with drinkable water and monuments, that camp fire are a touchy subject and that some areas are more regulated than others (natural parks, beaches...)
Of course, all of this doesn't necessarily keep you from eventual troubles or visits by the Guardia Civil in the middle of the night...

All that said, at the end, it's down to personal needs, preferences and choices. Like you say, there are lots of mixed information: seeking advice is good, but you'll have mixed ones too. The idea is to narrow the answers to find your own and unique truth. I think it's all about knowing yourself and answering questions...
Why do you want to camp? Is is for the fun/beauty/challenge/... of it, or to save money? How adventurous are you? What degree of (dis-)comfort can you stand? Are you ok to sleep in open spaces or do you need secured ones? Do you need a tent? Could you be happy with a tarp? ... And so on ;)

Buen prep!

full

Not too sure if skirting vague Spanish laws on whether it is legal or not to camp along the CF is a good idea. That's like saying it's okay to criminal trespass because the landowner probably won't know you did it.
I've done my share of backpacking and camping when younger, and I too would look along the CF as I walked it and gauge if wild camping was doable. Sure, in quite a few places it was, but not everywhere, every night. I saw a tent just off the path a couple of times, but it was rare. Most of the time when I saw a pilgrim/s staying in a tent it was outside of an albergue.
I think that if a lot of pilgrims wild camped along the CF that could lead to a lot of abuse. Trash left behind. Some measure of damage to crops or agriculture, and human waste matter of course. There would even perhaps be a problem with damage due to fires.
Better to stay in the albergues. Don't get me wrong. If push came to shove, and I couldn't find room in an albergue or anywhere, no doubt I'd find the nearest stack of square bales to snooze on top of for the night.

I finished a few weeks ago, I saw half a dozen people camping in the month I walked. It looked like a great option to the nightly snorefest, except for the whole not showering thing.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Please consider also that pretty much all land in Spain is owned privately/by somebody. The person that owns that perfect bivouacking spot you fancy might or might not be thrilled by the idea of you camping there. Just saying - we are guests in this country ... Buen Camino, SY

I finished a few weeks ago, I saw half a dozen people camping in the month I walked. It looked like a great option to the nightly snorefest, except for the whole not showering thing.
People wanting to shower and sleep in their tent might be able to work out a deal with albergues to sleep in their yards (as some have mentioned above)...probably depends on their space, and any limits fire safety would have, and I'd investigate that with email or calls to the albergues during the planning portion of the trip. The right thing to do in such a situation is pay the same fee you would for a bed, as you are taking advantage of their facilities, utilities, security, etc and putting some wear and tear on their yard... and to meet safety and comfort issues (number of pilgrims per bathroom) they may need to keep one bed empty to allow for your presence in your tent.
To me, ear plugs are easier to carry than a tent but to each their own.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
No, they won't. Insurance limits are per person in the building, not counting anybody in the garden. SY
so the limiting factor may just be how long they want the line for the bathroom to get;)

Laugh - kind of ;-) Seriously, albergues go by numbers of beds that can be occupied legally (fire and other insurances) the line to the shower/bathroom is hugely regulated by how early an albergue opens. The earlier it opens the more the 'problem' is distributed/diluted. Buen Camino, SY

Not too sure if skirting vague Spanish laws on whether it is legal or not to camp along the CF is a good idea. That's like saying it's okay to criminal trespass because the landowner probably won't know you did it.
"Bivouacking" is not directly named (thus vague), but the laws are quite precise. It has nothing to do with skirting them or whatever: camping in the Autonomous Communities along the CF is legal, if respecting the given dispositions. To each person the decision to camp or not.
+1 to SYates for the private land comment

On another matter......
I feel like saying again that being clean or not has nothing to do with camping out or not. It depends on the person, as it is always possible to wash and be clean, even if there's no shower available.
That said, many albergues let campers shower and/or use facilities even if they don't stay: the "deal" depends on them. They may ask an equal/inferior price to the one of a night, refuse any kind of payment, let you set the price of the shower. Some hospitalieros won't care about how you take your shower, others will keep a close watch of how long you're under the water. There are also albergue that won't make any deal, or not have enough water to offer to passing by pilgrims. Same goes for camping... Some agree to have tents in the yards, others don't. Some don't care where you sleep, others will define specific camping places.
From experience, money seems not to be the important thing here: many hospitalieros made it quite obvious than some more people using the bathrooms/facilities didn't change much at the end of the day... I still feel it fair to pay something for the service and make sure they're ok with not getting payment even if they say so at first.
Campers are quite off the usual line... I think what one gets also depends on who/how one comes up to ask for a service. The most important thing is not to expect. One may ask (and accept no as well as yes), not require...

full

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Camino is not suited for camping. Much of the route passes through active agricultural areas where camping would involve damaging crops or setting up on cow patties. Surface water quality is suspect ... due to industrial farming ... so you'd have to carry your water for the time spent in campsites.

If you want to go hiking try looking for GR routes.

Thanks for your response... I don't just want to go hiking, I want to walk the Camino, but am trying to do it as inexpensively as possible and have time alone. I realize accommodations are cheap, but the length I want to do is a significant amount for me so I am trying other ptions.

I think the point he was making was wild camping is illegal, and damaging to our host nation. Camping might be allowed at an albergue, but you should expect to pay the same fee as a bed fee so not really cheaper probably. perhaps consider saving more (delay trip) or not staying as long (less cost)

I think the point he was making was wild camping is illegal, and damaging to our host nation. Camping might be allowed at an albergue, but you should expect to pay the same fee as a bed fee so not really cheaper probably. perhaps consider saving more (delay trip) or not staying as long (less cost)

Thanks you. I am considering doing less. This is the only time I will have two months to go off on a journey like this in the foreseeable future so I am trying to make it work the best I can while maximizing the opportunity. I definitely do not want to offend our host nation or cause and kind of damage. I appreciate all the tips. Thanks again.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks you. I am considering doing less. This is the only time I will have two months to go off on a journey like this in the foreseeable future so I am trying to make it work the best I can while maximizing the opportunity. I definitely do not want to offend our host nation or cause and kind of damage. I appreciate all the tips. Thanks again.
you may want to research the donativo (donation according to what you can pay) albergues, and map out a route using them as much as possible. You could contact them in advance via email or phone, to see if they allow camping on their grounds.
gronze.com is one site that lists albergues, I''ll look up and post the other in a bit
edit: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/ is another

I have found that albergues with gardens tend to be in the minority.

Having a string of tents along the narrow Camino path does not exactly thrill me. It also increases the potential for more litter and human waste. On many long distance walking paths there are designated camping grounds, which at least confines any detritus, but not on the Camino Frances.

It simply underlines the point that this path has a beautiful anarchy, having been created by pilgrims over a thousand years. It was not purpose designed by anyone. Pilgrims created it and equally, pilgrims may destroy it.

I've done several Caninos in Spain and slept outside a lot. I've also met many people who only camped the whole way and had neither troubles or regrets. We all enjoyed it and had nice and comfortable nights...
Like said, there are not so many camping grounds. However, it's legally ok to wild-camp: there are just some rules to be aware of. I also disagree with the idea that the Camino is not suited for camping: it's a place like any other. It's always possible to find a decent and respectful spot to (wild-)camp; I found it not too hard to find such spots either.
As for gears, it's quite a matter... lots to say and think about it! But it's doable to have stuffs that are not too heavy or too expensive. (Ie. I've walked a Camino with a 6kg backpack that had everything I needed to comfortably sleep and cook outside).

Wild camping is very regulated in Spain and reference to bivouacking is vague. The topic is quite complex and gives Spanish people themselves quite a headache. A state law considers camping a gathering of tents in a 500m radius. It's "wild camping" when out of camping grounds and forbidden for more than 3 tents, 10 campers and 3 days in a row. So, legally and theoretically, bivouacking is ok. But each autonomous community can regulate their own area to their will and sames goes for municipalities: that's where things get messy.
To make it short and simple, on the CFrancés (Navarra, La Rioja, Castilla y Leon and Galicia), if it's camping as 1 tent, 1 person, 1 night, it's legally and theoretically ok.
Note also that legally, one is supposed to respect the environment (basically, leave no trace), keep some distance with drinkable water and monuments, that camp fire are a touchy subject and that some areas are more regulated than others (natural parks, beaches...)
Of course, all of this doesn't necessarily keep you from eventual troubles or visits by the Guardia Civil in the middle of the night...

All that said, at the end, it's down to personal needs, preferences and choices. Like you say, there are lots of mixed information: seeking advice is good, but you'll have mixed ones too. The idea is to narrow the answers to find your own and unique truth. I think it's all about knowing yourself and answering questions...
Why do you want to camp? Is is for the fun/beauty/challenge/... of it, or to save money? How adventurous are you? What degree of (dis-)comfort can you stand? Are you ok to sleep in open spaces or do you need secured ones? Do you need a tent? Could you be happy with a tarp? ... And so on ;)

Buen prep!

full

Hi Marion,

Thanks for the information! There are many reasons why I want to camp =) I am a backpacker here in Minnesota and so I do a lot of wild camping and appreciate the fun/beauty/challenge, and also the solitude. I am very adventurous (I used to be a skydiver) and can withstand a lot of discomfort, though I haven't done a tarp... but I would try it ;) Mostly for this trip I am trying to maximize the time I have so I can spend more time on the Camino, which means being very careful with my funds which are limited. I am sure I will come up with what will work... appreciate all the tips!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Here on the forum https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...lbergues-on-the-camino-frances-in-one-pdf.10/ is a PDF with all the albergues on the CF and their costs ;-)

The worst 'bed race' is over by Sep/Oct and you shouldn't have a problem to find an affordable bed in an albergue that has a kitchen (which allows you to prepare your own meals, alone or with others, which would be even cheaper).

A very basic camino (cheapest albergue, preparing always your own meals, no eating/drinking out etc.) can be done in my opinion at around ~20 Euro a day or a bit less. Buen Camino, SY

Here on the forum https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...lbergues-on-the-camino-frances-in-one-pdf.10/ is a PDF with all the albergues on the CF and their costs ;-)

The worst 'bed race' is over by Sep/Oct and you shouldn't have a problem to find an affordable bed in an albergue that has a kitchen (which allows you to prepare your own meals, alone or with others, which would be even cheaper).

A very basic camino (cheapest albergue, preparing always your own meals, no eating/drinking out etc.) can be done in my opinion at around ~20 Euro a day or a bit less. Buen Camino, SY

This is great, thank you!

Personally I do not determine what is another's pilgrimage. Like every country & every individual Law enforcement officer there are grey areas that do not get enforced. I can comment on one thing if a person is honest when approaching a land owner about asking permission to sleep out you will have a better result than not taking the time to do so. It will also be a much safer way in farm country. Due to heavy equipment or even some of the little Renault rigs used to run around with.
Buen Camino!
Keith

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.