• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camping on a Camino Portugues route.

Goldenfrapucino

Time of past OR future Camino
future-Camino Portuguese ( first time)
Hello, I have a question as a female traveler new to this whole thing. Me and my mother will be starting this summer our first ever Camino. We were thinking about camping in a small tent instead of sleeping in accommodations ( to enjoy the nature and night sky more). Is it relatively safe for us? Or would you not recommend it at all?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There is very little legal camping on the Caminos. The situation is not straightforward. Some people do stealth camp - setting up late and leaving early. I occasionally sleep in a bivvy bag on the quieter routes when the weather is good but I probably would not do so on a route as busy as the Portugues. I would not want to draw attention to myself by pitching a tent.

will you be staying at official camping sites? or are you planning to sleep rough?

I see that you are from the Netherlands. would you camp in the countryside if you were hiking there? why consider it in Portugal?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've camped along the CP, and never had a problem. I tend to stealth camp though, setting up close to nightfall, showing no light and leaving soon after sunrise. While technically forbidden, camping is ignored in my experience both by the authorities and landowners. I can't imagine anyone bothering you and it lovely to sleep under the stars.

Hello, I have a question as a female traveler new to this whole thing. Me and my mother will be starting this summer our first ever Camino. We were thinking about camping in a small tent instead of sleeping in accommodations ( to enjoy the nature and night sky more). Is it relatively safe for us? Or would you not recommend it at all?
It can be done - I’ve walked with some Peregrinos who had their dog with them and >50%of the time they had no choice; but it was very much ‘pitch the tent in the dark and depart in the dark’, which from spring to autumn doesn’t give much time for sleep.

I honestly wouldn’t recommend it.

I have no Camino experience to share.
But something to consider: The weight of the tent, a sleeping bag and presumably some kind of sleeping pad as well.
As a backpacker, I look forward to NOT carrying all that stuff with me on the Camino. The pack with just clothes and a few toiletries and a simple sleep sack/sleeping bag liner will be so much lighter than my usual backpacking/overnight gear.
So ask yourself, how many nights were you thinking of camping? Most of them? Or just a couple? Because that is a lot of added weight to be carrying each and every day if you are only wanting to camp a couple of nights.
Also, will you be needing your phone for navigation and security? Where will you charge it?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Lightweight tent, micro cooking gear, air mattress and light sleeping bag plus liner.
With 2 people it's even easier. As for the phone, plenty of cafes to recharge in with a fast charger, plus carry a power pack.

The looking for places and setup adds to the adventure and there's nothing like the stars at night, the comradely routines of the camp, and a coffee in early daylight among the field and forests. Have a great time and don't worry about anything.

With 2 people it's even easier.
Good point! I usually carry all that stuff myself, so didn't think of it split up between two people.

I do love tent sleeping. To me the best part of backpacking is time at camp. There is a special feeling when carrying everything you need to survive and be comfy.

For those that have camped on the Camino, can you share what types of places should people look for to sleep? In town (like a park or something)? Out of town? Etc. I'm curious and I'm sure the person asking would find that info useful.

Are there any resources where people who own property and welcome tent people? Something like the Harvest Hosts in the US for people in campers vans and RV's? Or apps like iOverlander where someone can post info on where they successfully camped?

I always use Google maps satellite view to identify likely camping spots and hour or two before I expect to arrive there.

Near a village, with wild land, not farmed, close to the road but far enough in to be screened. I get there about an hour before sunset and check out a few places leaving my pack by the road. I look for a flat place, screened of possible by bushes or trees, with a smooth surface. I set up the tent and hide my gear under a bush. In Spain and a Portugal people don't walk around much in the evening, they use cars. I save the location in my phone.

Then I go into the village to get food and have a drink. When it's dark I go back, and it's all set up. I use light carefully and I never light a fire, they quite reasonably hate that.

I eat, pop into bed, watch Netflix on the phone. In the morning I have a coffee, pack up, and clean so thoroughly that CSI could find no trace. There's nothing to fear. In the UK or US there might be but violence or mischievous harassment of strangers in rural Iberia is unknown in my experience, and the police are zero tolerant of such behaviour.

You'll have a great time.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
violence or mischievous harassment of strangers in rural Iberia is unknown in my experience, and the police are zero tolerant of such behaviour.

dream on and please add 'fiction' to your postings.

this forum has an ample section about SAFETY on the Caminos, and SAFETY FOR WOMEN is of particular concern.

dream on and please add 'fiction' to your postings.

this forum has an ample section about SAFETY on the Caminos, and SAFETY FOR WOMEN is of particular concern.

Please note the phrase "unknown in my experience". I'm not seeking to dismiss the real fears and dangers faced by female pilgrims on the Camino or elsewhere. It's simply that having no experience, I don't feel entitled to comment. I would imagine that the same applies in reverse, and that those who haven't experienced the freedom from such fears enjoyed by elderly men like myself would hesitate before describing their comments as "fiction" and "dream"(s). I wish the same security was also enjoyed by peregrinas, but then that's life I suppose.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I always use Google maps satellite view to identify likely camping spots and hour or two before I expect to arrive there.

Near a village, with wild land, not farmed, close to the road but far enough in to be screened. I get there about an hour before sunset and check out a few places leaving my pack by the road. I look for a flat place, screened of possible by bushes or trees, with a smooth surface. I set up the tent and hide my gear under a bush. In Spain and a Portugal people don't walk around much in the evening, they use cars. I save the location in my phone.

Then I go into the village to get food and have a drink. When it's dark I go back, and it's all set up. I use light carefully and I never light a fire, they quite reasonably hate that.

I eat, pop into bed, watch Netflix on the phone. In the morning I have a coffee, pack up, and clean so thoroughly that CSI could find no trace. There's nothing to fear. In the UK or US there might be but violence or mischievous harassment of strangers in rural Iberia is unknown in my experience, and the police are zero tolerant of such behaviour.

You'll have a great time.
How do have a coffee in the morning before you pack up? Or do you drink it cold?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I agree with Gerard! Plenty of places to camp discreetly - we did on Portuguese... also on VdlP , Norte etc.....No problems with locals - if they even notice u they are concerned for u and will maybe offer water etc! As females - yes, a little more discreet maybe - many of my cycle buddies camp alone - they use good sense and some send a 'pin-drop' to a friend/partner. We are still more likely to be knocked over by a car - it does not stop us using roads!! It isnot to say that bad things never happen - but bad things are just as likely in yr own home/work etc. Each person has to make their own mind up about their perception of risk....We walk/pedal in the footsteps of intrepid women like Dervla Murphy - do we not?!
And if some of us like sleeping outdoors - please let us do it in peace!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I agree with Gerard! Plenty of places to camp discreetly - we did on Portuguese... also on VdlP , Norte etc.....No problems with locals - if they even notice u they are concerned for u and will maybe offer water etc! As females - yes, a little more discreet maybe - many of my cycle buddies camp alone - they use good sense and some send a 'pin-drop' to a friend/partner. We are still more likely to be knocked over by a car - it does not stop us using roads!! It isnot to say that bad things never happen - but bad things are just as likely in yr own home/work etc. Each person has to make their own mind up about their perception of risk....We walk/pedal in the footsteps of intrepid women like Dervla Murphy - do we not?!
And if some of us like sleeping outdoors - please let us do it in peace!!
Yes, I agree too. I know in European countries it is relatively safer than in the US, so I am not worrying that much. Of course, as a woman, you probably need to be more careful and aware of your surroundings when traveling. But as you said bad things can happen when traveling, but they can also happen at my own home.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back