• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camping on the Camino

BuenCamino2013

Hello All,

Hiking the Camino in the spring of 2013 with a large group. We will be starting in Porto and were wondering if its possible to camp along this route. Not sure if there are locations and or laws that will prevent us from doing so.

Buen Camino

Mike 8)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
BuenCamino2013 said:
Hello All, Hiking the Camino in the spring of 2013 with a large group. We will be starting in Porto and were wondering if its possible to camp along this route. Not sure if there are locations and or laws that will prevent us from doing so. Buen Camino Mike 8)
Well done Mike! I hope someone who's camped along the VdlP can help you: sorry I was of no use this time.
Bom caminho!

Stephen.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Porto is on the Portuguese route, not the VDLP.

I've walked this route and much of it is along busy highway.
I don't recall seeing many places to camp, especially with a "large group."

Is there a reason you don't want to stay in the albergues?

Buen Camino!

It is true there is some walking at the side of busy roads but depending on the size of the group I think there might be problems just turning up at albergues. This morning I popped along to the Tourist Office for Portugal in Santiago and they confirmed their colleagues in Portugal will be happy to help you plan this group pilgrimage.

Best wishes

John

Stephen, Annie and Johnny Walker.

Thanks for the help an advice.

Annie the group Iam going with are injured military members, we are going to in the hope of receiving some emotional healing. The only reason we are camping is some of the guys love to camp.

Will let you know when our blog site is ready.

Thanks so much.

Mike :p

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you guys do the coastal route on the Portuguese Camino, you might have better luck finding campgrounds. I've seen quite a few on my Google Maps route I just put together last night.

If your on the route there are plenty of opportunities to do wild camping that's how I went. However a large group might be different as on your own is easy to hide yourself. The albuergies might allow you to camp in their yard.
Jakob
twitter @walkforthewhale

Hi Mike

If you stay out of the big cities you might be able to find appropriate camping spots.

I have walked from Porto to Santiago twice (solo and with my nephew) and stayed away from most of the big cities. From memory I didn't see any camping spots although (I agree with Falcon) if you check with the tourist authority they may have a list of areas in which you can camp out.

Some of the albergues are out of town so that may be a solution to your needs if you can't find camping spots. They are well set up with kitchens, laundries, etc. and cater for large groups depending on how large your group is(?) The albergue in Rates is one of the first on this camino and well set up to cater for groups as is the one in Rubiaes and Valencia.

Any idea how long you and your group plan to walk daily?

The CSJ organisation has a good guide book (donativo) on the portugues route that can be found on their website http://www.csj.org.uk that can asssist with planning stages. Also John Brierly has some good information on his website. He has a guide book as well as a book of maps.

Good luck with your planning.

Feel free PM me if you would like any further information.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back