• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camping supplies in or around St Jean?

gregdedman

Hola all,

Im planning the finer points of my autumn pilgrimage and am wanting to take lightweight stove/burner with me to boil water for hot choc, soups, noodles etc.

Now, such burners are very cheap on the internet, a gel burner costs only a few pounds, but my problem is transporting the fuel. The airlines will not take fuel of any kind so I was wondering if there was anyone who had experience with buying either camping gaz, gel fuel or solid fuel tablets in St Jean?
I know there is an Intermarche supermarket and a DIY Mr Bricolage and they both appear to sell gas, but maybe someone had first hand knowledge?

Buen Camino
Greg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is a hardware/variety store on the last street to the right, before you go under the arch to leave SJPP.
It carries camping supplies, clotheswashing bar soap, and various supplies.
I bet you can get fuel there.

On the other hand, why bother if you're walking the Frances?
You will find a stove in nearly every alburgue, if not a coffee shop?
Or better yet, take one of those electric water heaters you plug in and put into your cup.
Much lighter than a stove, and less trouble.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Annie,

Thanks for your advice looks like ill be able to pick up some supplies in the town itself.

The reason Im wanting to take a small stove is due to the time of year im walking and shortage of funds.
The choice of albergue is limited, many being closed through november and the same applies to cafes en-route. Taking a small burner will of course add weight but will allow me to stop anywhere and make drinks/food. I spent a lot of money last camino on breakfast cafes and want to keep my spending low.

Of course, when the crunch comes and im packing my bags, the burner will be the first to be left behind if im overweight! :)

Greg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Have you thought about a meths stove? It'll be light and you can buy the fuel easily. I've put something about them here:

http://pilgrimpace.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... hot-drink/

I'm wondering too about a storm kettle which uses any fuel that is to hand. Anyone tried these?

Andy

Some fantastic links there, thankyou!

The idea of a homemade stove intiruges me.
Ill have a go at that and the supplies shop in St Jean will be perfect for buying any fuel.

Thats that post closed :)
Thankyou and buen camino!

Greg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Here are instructions for a tiny alcohol stove made from a coke can. Boils water and uses plain old alcohol:

http://www.backpacking.net/makegear/stove4/index.html

Also, here is the link for the Kelly Kettle. I have several friends who have these and love them. They're a little spendy, but worth the cash if you're going to use it every day or for camping when you return home. The small one is 35 Euro. You'd spend that in a week eating on the Camino and yes, you can use ANYTHING for fuel, sticks, paper, leaves:

http://kellykettle.com/

They're made in Ireland.

Andy, thanks for the link!
What a cool idea! I love making my own gear!

I couldn't find part one. The link you gave is for the last one, part 8 I think. But I was able to find part 2. It appears he's using some type of putty to make the smaller inside tube. I think it would be better to simply use a narrower can, like an energy drink can. They're skinny. And you could use one of those oversized lager cans for the outside. Both are aluminum so it would be very lightweight!

That homemade kelly kettle is like a little rocket stove, which I've made a few of!
It probably works great!

Now I have to make one! ::laughing::

Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So I just couldn't help myself!

Here are some pictures of my new super-lightweight compact pepsi can stove :)
It works perfectly, boils 2 cups of water in 7 minutes and uses everday denaturated alcohol
available from the cleaning aisle of supermarkets.

2z69ttv.jpg

This second photo is the stove with a few extras!
It has a 'priming plate', the top of a tin can cut off for the stove to sit on. You must pour a small amount of the alcohol on this plate and light it to ignite the fuel in the stove itself.
I also recycled the rest of the can to make an effective windbreak/pot stand to allow better burning efficiency of the stove.

2hxnmmq.jpg

All in all, it took me about 20 minutes with just a swiss army knife and cost me the price of a tin (10c) 2 pop cans (40c) and fuel (1€).

Buen camino!
Greg

Nice one Greg. If you cover the three central holes with a small coin you should get a more forceful burn from the side holes.

Andy

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back