• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can I walk this route with only rudimentary Spanish

Maybeth

Time of past OR future Camino
2003 Camino Frances SJPP to Finnisterre
2011 Camino Frances, Camino Ingles, Muxia, Finnisterre
2011 Hospitalera Najera
(2014/15 VdlP & Sanabres)
(2014/15 Hospitalera)
I am heading to Spain in mid Sept to walk (Sept 18-Oct 15) and to be a hospitalera Oct 16-31). I am looking at various options and ideas to enjoy my time on the Camino. This route is intriguing but my question is whether I could walk from Ferrol to Santiago with only rudimentary Spanish? I am assuming that all of you veteran contributors are fluent Spanish speakers.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think that would be harder than walking the Frances, which is easy for anyone with pretty much no Spanish though if you can speak Spanish you'll get a lot out of it. I don't speak Spanish but my girlfriend who I walked with is fluent so that was great. Not essential by any means on the Frances though and I found I could communicate well enough with most people with phrase book Spanish and schoolboy French and English.

My question is about the Camino Ingles route specifically and whether I could manage with only rudimentary Spanish. I am a solo peregrina.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Maybeth,

My wife & I don't speak Spanish, and we start the Camino Ingles next week, I'm sure 'armed' with
a phrase book and if we try our best to speak as best we can, people will see we are making an effort
and help us out , if not, well its the Camino itself that counts.

I'm sure you'll be OK.

Neil & Brenda White

Maybeth said:
I am heading to Spain in mid Sept to walk (Sept 18-Oct 15) and to be a hospitalera Oct 16-31). I am looking at various options and ideas to enjoy my time on the Camino. This route is intriguing but my question is whether I could walk from Ferrol to Santiago with only rudimentary Spanish? I am assuming that all of you veteran contributors are fluent Spanish speakers.

Hi Maybeth - I walked the Ingles early April (alone - met only 2 other pilgrims)
I speak virtually zero Spanish, and had no problems making myself understood - sign language and a smile go a long way.I stayed in hostals, apart from the albergue at Hospital da Bruma - everyone, (with one exception), was very friendly and helpful. I managed to find a bed each night, get a cafe con leche/cerveza/vino tinto, menu del dia etc etc.
You will be fine!! Buen camino.

PS The first night in Ferrol I had a long miming performance with the hostal owner, who spoke as much English as my Spanish - it was quite funny really, but that's another story...

Maybeth said:
My question is about the Camino Ingles route specifically and whether I could manage with only rudimentary Spanish. I am a solo peregrina.
What do you mean by " rudimentary Spanish"? Although we have reasonable Spanish I do not think you would have a problem provided you go prepared. You have time to learn a few basic words if you don't already know them (Where is.? Donde esta.? right=derecha etc for directions. Hay cama por favor? Is there a bed please?) Write them down and photocopy them so that you can show people what you are trying to ask, if you are afraid that they won't understand you. If you have the CSJ Camino Guide then you can show folk where you are trying to go if necessary.

Gracias and Por favor; Thank you and please are easy, but when offered 'seconds' of food or coffee don't say Gracias, they'll take it as 'No thank you' you have to say Please.

If you learn just a few words folk are willing to be very helpful, and if they talk too quickly because you have tried to speak Spanish, however limited, just say 'despacio' - slowly.
Having said all that there are more folk who speak a little English along this Camino than we expected and a smile is the same in any language and shopping you can pick up, or point to what you need.
Neil and Brenda are right, people do help if they see you making an effort.
Go for it and have a great time and Buen Camino to all of you
Tia Valeria

PS The photocopy is in case it rains and the ink would run on a 'print out' :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you everyone for your kind encouraging feedback. I have travelled before using a phrasebook, a few words, hand gestures, and a smile and did just fine, so here I go again.It is always good for a few giggles with local women when they try to talk to me and ask me questions and goodness only knows what I actually say in reply.
Last time I was very intent on completing every step of the entire Camino France despite 42 degree heat on the Meseta! This time I want to get another Compostela (but I do not need to walk from SJPP to do so), another Finnisterra (I loved that walk and want to do it again), as well as a Muxia (that route was not marked when I was last there), ride the FEVE train (because it sounds like fun and I love coastlines), hear the monks sing at Santo Domingo de Silos (because their music accompanies me on my walk training).....you get the picture. I was going to ride the FEVE back toward my posting, but you have given me new ideas.
Since I have a month to walk my second Camino before going to my hospitalera posting, I want to make this journey fun, fresh, interesting, and relaxed (but not easy!)
Muchas gracias!

Maybeth wrote
ride the FEVE train (because it sounds like fun and I love coastlines)
The FEVE ride between Ferrol and Oviedo is nearly all along the coast and rias, it is beautiful and takes about 7 hours. If you have limited time and have to catch a bus then you can go through Lugo to Ribadeo (the half way point) and catch the FEVE there, or go Ferrol to Ribadeo and bus back to Lugo. Not sure which direction you will want to go, it depends on where you are going as hospitalera.
If you do stop in Ribadeo and want a room overnight try the Cafe Bar Garden; straight out of the station, keep right at fork, and straight on at roundabout towards town centre. Cafe is opposite supermarket. About a 10 minute walk at most.
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I did a search in this sub-forum but couldn't find anything recent. How much cash should I bring for the Ingles? All of my pre-booked accommodations except one accept credit card. That one place...
Here is a brief outline of our Camino from Reading UK to Santiago de Compostella via the Camino Ingles. Day 1 April 7th Reading to Little London. Reading is very Pilgrim friendly, great signage...
No rooms in Bruma tonight. Anywhere. Is it cheating to take a cab 10k away to get a place to stay?
Hello all, I'll be walking the Camino Inlgés staring 21st May, along with my husband and my mother. My husband and I are relatively fit, in our mid-40's, and my 75-year-old mother is somewhat fit...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back