• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Inglés in combination with Fisterra?

OrlaJ

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024
Hi

I'm planning for my first Camino with start in May and have set my eyes on the Camino Inglés. I have a total of 10–12 days at max and would like to add a few extra km and thinking about continuing the route from Santiago to Fisterra/ Muxia and I have a few questions.

1) Is it a total anticlimax to continue the walk after reaching Santiago? I would like to attend the service on Sunday and continue the walk the day after.
2) Is there an alternative route from the Inglés to Fisterra or Muxia and walk past Santiago and first land there as the last stop?
3) If I want the extra km, is there a better alternative as my first Camino than the Inglés and still be able to keep the walk within 10 days?

Thanks in advance for your advice

All the best
Orla

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
1) Is it a total anticlimax to continue the walk after reaching Santiago? I would like to attend the service on Sunday and continue the walk the day after.
Not at all, in my opinion. Fisterra and/or Muxia are a lovely way to finish any Camino. Depending on your walking ability 10 days to walk Ferrol to Santiago (5/6 days usually) and then on to Fisterra, Muxia or both (min of 3 days) plus the return trip on the bus may be pushing your timeframe.

2) Is there an alternative route from the Inglés to Fisterra or Muxia and walk past Santiago and first land there as the last stop?
Not a marked one that I am aware of but I could help you with a route to run around the outskirts of Santiago if you wished to avoid the old town (centre) until returning from the coast

3) If I want the extra km, is there a better alternative as my first Camino than the Inglés and still be able to keep the walk within 10 days?
You could bus back to A Coruna from Bruma/Meson Do Vento, about 3 days into the route from Ferrol and walk the historic route Ingles route from A Coruna back to the point that you left the route from Ferrol. They merge at Bruma.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My first Camino was the Frances, and I wasn't able to continue on to Fisterra/Muxia, due to shin splints. Very annoying. The Ingles was my second Camino. I had a couple of nights in Santiago, then walked to Fisterra and finally Muxia. Reaching Muxia and watching the sun go down over the sea was very special and felt like closure.

Having done what you’re suggesting back in 2018, I can honestly tell you that it’s a great combination. From Ferrol, we took 5/6 days to walk to SdC. Arriving on the Saturday of Semana Santa, we enjoyed Easter weekend, and my wife’s birthday, in Santiago and then headed to Finisterre that Monday. We found it to be a great continuation of our rather short Camino Ingles. As much as I always enjoy my arrival into Santiago, getting to “the end of the world” was equally emotional and well worth the extra four day walk. Had we had an additional day, we would have walked on to Muxia. Just to sit on the rocks near the lighthouse in Finisterre and gaze out upon the sea made the trip all the more worthwhile. Buen Camino!

Hi

I'm planning for my first Camino with start in May and have set my eyes on the Camino Inglés. I have a total of 10–12 days at max and would like to add a few extra km and thinking about continuing the route from Santiago to Fisterra/ Muxia and I have a few questions.

All the best
Orla

Hi

All the best
Orla
Hello Orla,
I had this delima in October. I’m sure you have looked at the kilometers (km are approximate) Ferrol to Santiago 113km, Santiago to Fisterre 89km, Fisterre to Muxia 29km a total of 225 km. You can always walk to Fisterre or Muxia then take a bus to the location you didn’t walk to. It would take a day off your walking and you would be able to see both. There are busses from Fisterre to Muxia or vise versa then back to Santiago. I hope this helped a little and I didn’t confused you. Buen Camino. 🥾

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Having done what you’re suggesting back in 2018, I can honestly tell you that it’s a great combination. From Ferrol, we took 5/6 days to walk to SdC. Arriving on the Saturday of Semana Santa, we enjoyed Easter weekend, and my wife’s birthday, in Santiago and then headed to Finisterre that Monday. We found it to be a great continuation of our rather short Camino Ingles. As much as I always enjoy my arrival into Santiago, getting to “the end of the world” was equally emotional and well worth the extra four day walk. Had we had an additional day, we would have walked on to Muxia. Just to sit on the rocks near the lighthouse in Finisterre and gaze out upon the sea made the trip all the more worthwhile. Buen Camino!
This is a great combination!

That sounds positive! I plan on doing Camino Ingles from Ferrol, followed by Santiago- Finisterre- Muxia - Santiago. Can't wait (97 sleeps to go!!😃)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.