• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

can non walkers stay in hostels?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Do you mean hostels or albergues?
The hostels are like hotels, and I don't think you need to show pilgrim's credentials to stay in them. Same goes for the hotels and pension houses along The Way.
The municipal and parish albergues do require credentials to stay in. Don't know if all the private albergues do.
Either way, just get her a set of credentials to use so she can stay in them and get them stamped. You can get credentials from several different sources.

I will be walking the Camino next spring for my good friend who is suffering from a terminal lung disease. She would love to come, but will only be able to walk a short time each day. Will she be able to stay in the hostels?
I 'm sure that most hospitaleroes with any sense will allow your friend to sleep the night. A doctor's note explaning her condition will help. Private albergues will almost always take you in without a credential but you must produce your passport. Some albergues even have carparks that mysteriously fill up at night.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I imagine she will have a credential because she will be walking (even if limited Kms), right? I see no reason whatsoever why she would have a problem. Do make sure she stamps the credential and Renshaw's idea to carry a medical note indicating condition would help. Please do come back and let us know how it went. Many blessings and Buen Camino to you gals!

I think the answer is above!
Usually the albergues ask for the credentials. To avoid troubles and endless explanations just have one for your friend. It will become her friend ;-)
It will be stamped everywhere along the Camino, in albergues, in hostels, in hotels, in casa rurals, in bars, unmanned places along the way.
It doesn't matter how far you walk.
For Compostela usual rules apply, last 100km walking (200km bike or horse or..)
Many people walk for a week, return home and continue next year...
Have fun and health, as much as possible.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you carry a medical note, get a Spanish translation!
(Olivares, we have similar pics!)

(Olivares, we have similar pics!)
Great minds think alike!! ;) I laughed so hard after taking this picture! One of my favorites along the Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We had a friend on our camino who came down with a terrible chest and head cold - she was really not well and for several days, she couldn't walk the route, so she would go ahead in a taxi and wait for the rest of the group to arrive. No one ever had an issue with allowing her to stay in the alberques for that time.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back