• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can vertigo be an issue?

Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018, (2019)
The tragic death of the pilgrim in Roncesvalles in recent weeks - may he rest in eternal peace - has reminded me of a problem I have with vertigo that I experience when faced with ridge walking on high hills/mountain terrain. I don't mind high ground per se;it's only where the paths are very narrow or uneven and may cause me to feel that my balance is significantly compromised and that I might fall some distance.

I had previously decided to follow the Valcarlos route out of SJPdP for this very reason, and it may be that I have to be quite careful in the path I follow at other points along the route to SdC. Are there any other places where you think I might encounter obvious problems? If so, are there alternative routes I might take? Apologies for not explaining things more clearly.

Sheffield James

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The only place I can think of where vertigo might be a real problem could be crossing over the bridge before Portomarin. It's a very nice, wide bridge, that cars go across - with a good walkway and a waist-high wall, but when I looked down, my perineum grasped at my bra-straps! :oops: :oops: and I don't have vertigo! You know that feeling? So... I'm sure you'll be fine. Just have a couple of friends on either side when you walk across that bridge, and don't look down.

Just remember, you can call a taxi or take a public bus almost always from one village to the next.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Based on my own experiences as one with the worst of vertigo and all out terror of even the thought of walking along ridges, there was no need at all to avoid the Naploeon Route out of SJPP. The climb may be steep but it is only steep in grade. There are no drop offs or edge of mountain ridges. That pilgrim who died, for whatever reason, apparently went off the trail somewhere. With a clear mind it seems virtually impossible to go off any edge along that segment of the Camino.

As for other places on the Frances Route, the ascent up to O'Cebreiro was mentioned on this forum. Once again that was not a problem, at least for me. In the same regard, I am terrified crossing over bridges. The only place of real discomfort along the entire Camino Frances was crossing the bridge into Portamarin. There is a railing there that gives a visual sense of security, although that didn't seem to do much to ease this irrational fear of mine. In that instance I tried to stay as far as possible away from the edge, look straight ahead and move fast as I could to get to the other side.

Fear not!

Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hahaha! Great minds think alike! We typed that response at exactly the same moment!

And I agree, there is no reason to avoid the regular trail over from SJPP to Roncesvalles.
That hiker, from what I've heard, walked off into a snowbank, thinking it was terra firma, and fell off a cliff. There really aren't any places along that trail that I'd call dangerous as long as there is no snow. Slippery, yes, coming down into Roncesvalles. But nothing that would cause vertigo.

Sheffield James said:
I don't mind high ground per se;it's only where the paths are very narrow or uneven and may cause me to feel that my balance is significantly compromised and that I might fall some distance.

I have the same problem and whilst I have had some uncomfortable moments on several routes, I have had no problems on the Fances

Sheffield James,

To read what other pilgrims have considered to be their Most Challenging Sections on the Camino Frances see this Forum thread >> el-camino-frances/topic16249.html

Of course we all have differing definitions of difficulty!

Stay safe and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, the bridges are the only issue, especially that one in Portomarin, which wouldn't bother most people. At least they'd closed the footbridge on the way out of that town last year and we were directed across the adjacent road bridge, which is quiet so you can walk well away from the edge. I don't even like some of the footbridges crossing roads and railways etc.

As Markss and Anniesantiago say, just keep your head down and think of it as a few uncomfortable minutes.

The good news is that I hear they've opened a new bridge on the stretch before Leon to handle pilgrims rather than sending us over a road bridge, which genuinely was dangerous. More good news is that none of the bridges are as bad as the one going into Pontedeume on the Camino Ingles, which is similar to the one in Portomarin, except they'd raised the pavement to install streetlights without raising the retaining wall at the side. I expressed my horror to the bar tender who explained what they'd done, but he said 'Don't worry. Nobody falls.' :shock:

Buen Camino!

The bridge to Portamarin is well built but I, too, panicked when I saw it ahead. I started across and kept a steady rhythm, looking straight ahead, and then actually cried when I got to the other side. The other place I think of is walking over the dam into Fromista. It's just a couple yards, solid and secure, and there are railings, but it also proved nerve-wracking for me. Just hold onto the rails and you will be across even before you start.
Mind you, these structures are perfectly safe and sturdy, but it is hard to rationalize with fear.
Buen Camino, my friend. You will be just fine. -Monica :arrow:

With only one balance nerve left (after surgery for a brain tumor), my balance is compromised in the best of times. The bridge at Portomarin was my biggest challenge, and I remember struggling not to hyperventilate while keeping my eyes on my friend encouraging me on the opposite bank, and then the shakes and the tears after I'd made it. Overall, you won't face much vertigo on your Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm not to happy on high places and the bridge into Portomarine didn't upset me BUT the steps up into the town just after the bridge really got to me.

Dael said:
I'm not to happy on high places and the bridge into Portomarine didn't upset me BUT the steps up into the town just after the bridge really got to me.
I had a cigarette on the steps to recover from the bridge experience, so I was OK. :D

I think what people sometimes misunderstand is the difference between a fear of falling and a fear of jumping deliberately. Some people like me have this urge to jump when on a high bridge or cliff edge etc. The French call it 'L'appel du vide' (The call of the void) but I don't think there's an English equivalent.

Buen, voidless Camino!

No, vertigo should not be an issue...but maybe if you take the guided tour on the roof top of the Catedral in Santiago...that would set it off...a very nice tour by the way.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I typed a reply earlier but for some reason it has got lost in the cyber-ether. Basically, it said that I am much more reassured about the hill/mountain trails following your advice and consequently I will stick with my backpack rather than order a parachute. I may have displaced one fear with another, however, having heard about the bridges and then viewing an image of the Pontomarin bridge online. Incidentally, there appears to be a lower bridge as well as the high one, which might be worth considering.

I concluded by asking if anyone was available during May/June for a bit of hand holding during my trip - not for safety reasons, but because you seem as if you would make great company along the way. I mean it !!

The more recent posts have been equally interesting. I have no appetite for rooftop tours but I am intrigued by the concept of jumping into the void and will try to find out more about it (if only to find strategies to resist the urge).

Muchas gracias todo el mundo

The lower bridge is unfortunately not an option. Believe me, I would have been the first to take it! Someone told me (and I don't know how true it is) that the whole town was moved up the hill due to flooding, the low bridge was abandoned and the new one built. It's not that bad though. Like I said, head down and carry on.... Buen Camino! :)

there appears to be a lower bridge
It was under water for a couple of decades! It may be underwater again in the future. It may be strong enough for pedestrians, but all the approaches are washed away and very muddy. You have the option of walking down the middle of the bridge and dodging cars! There is not a lot of traffic on it, but Spanish drivers are very rules oriented (even if they make up the rules along the way), so you will be honked at for not walking on the left shoulder...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Never had a problem with vertigo...until that bridge into Portomarin! As I approached it, I thought, wow - great views, good photo possibilities. Soon as I started across my knees suddenly felt weak and it was very windy that morning as well. All I could do was stare straight ahead and power across as fast as possible! My walking companion had no problem - loved it, took his time, enjoyed the views. I've walked across high bridges before without issue - don't know what it was about that one!

Tyrrek, I know what you mean!
It was exactly that!
An almost uncontrollable urge to jump!
And the fear that I might - not that I'd fall - but that I'd just jump off.

How weird... I just learned something about myself.

falcon269 said:
You have the option of walking down the middle of the bridge and dodging cars!

Ha, ha. This is exactly what I did. In doing so thought of the irony of a reality that I may get hit by a car instead of some perceived risk of something that would never happen, falling over the bridge's edge.

tyrrek said:
I had a cigarette on the steps to recover from the bridge experience, so I was OK. :D

Don't smoke myself but sure could have used a cigarette once getting across that thing.

Just another thought when considering this subject. You might read in guidebooks and on this forum comments about challenges and steepness of certain areas. Don't do as I did in advance of reaching such points and mistake this to mean that there are drop offs and ridges. Most refer merely to the steepness of grade and difficulties in climbing. At least for myself this had no bearing to vertigo or my dreadful fear of walking along ridges.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Anniesantiago said:
The only place I can think of where vertigo might be a real problem could be crossing over the bridge before Portomarin. It's a very nice, wide bridge, that cars go across - with a good walkway and a waist-high wall, but when I looked down, my perineum grasped at my bra-straps! :oops: :oops: and I don't have vertigo! You know that feeling? So... I'm sure you'll be fine. Just have a couple of friends on either side when you walk across that bridge, and don't look down.

Just remember, you can call a taxi or take a public bus almost always from one village to the next.

Anyone know where you can buy non perineum grasping bra straps??

The town of Portomarín was constructed and built next to a Roman bridge over the Minho River and rebuilt in the Middle Ages.
In the 1960s the Miño River was dammed to create the Belesar reservoir, putting the old village of Portomarín under water. The most historic buildings of the town were moved brick by brick and reconstructed in the new town, including its castle-style main church: Church of San Juan of Portomarín.
In the seasons when the dam is at low level, the remains of ancient buildings, the waterfront and the old bridge are still visible.

Thanks to wikipedia.
We were so interested in the visible remains that we lingered long on the bridge.

Thank you for this post. I definitely will want to find one or more companions for this stretch of the journey. Quite possibly with literal hand-holding. I arrive in SJPP May 16 and plan to begin the camino the following day, but can be flexible with time. The post has triggered some real fear in me, so it is good to deal with the feeling now. Thank you!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
jenreese said:
The post has triggered some real fear in me

The advance fear seems to always be a whole lot worse than the reality.

In the seasons when the dam is at low level
I have not seen official announcements, but I think the low water is a permanent condition. All of the water sport facilities are gone, including the yacht club. There has been a regional drought for several years, so the reservoir may grow again, but it has been just a river for at least three years.

MoniRose said:
The other place I think of is walking over the dam into Fromista. It's just a couple yards, solid and secure, and there are railings, but it also proved nerve-wracking for me. Just hold onto the rails and you will be across even before you start.
Yes, that's a nasty little one. I've crossed it several times due to our litter picking duties in Palencia. It's basically a canal lock, but think the problem is that you have to walk down steps to get onto it so with backpack etc you can feel a bit unsteady. On one side you'd 'just' fall into the canal but on the other you'd fall into the empty lock. :shock:

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back