• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can we walk Bayonne to Irun and do Camino del Norte?

Kiwibird

Hi everyone, new to the forum. Live in New Zealand. Just had a year of cancer treatment and have decided to go find myself on the camino del Norte but taking husband along so he can find me too!! Fly to Frankfurt in August and have 3 months to get across France and do the del Norte. Thinking of buying couple of old bikes in Mannheim and biking the Eurovelo6 across Loire Valley to Nantes. Then would like to train to Bayonne and start our camino walk from there. Anyone done this sort of trip?? We have time and also have lightweight tent etc so hoping to pay to use albergue facilities but camp on albergue grounds - is this possible in most albergues?? Tickets booked so all very real now!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
August is a bad month for the Norte because there are lots of goups of young Spaniards and the infrastructure isn't up to it as I found last year. I suspect September would be much better. It was OK when I walked the Norte in September 2009.

Not all albergues have grounds where you can pitch a tent.

We cycled it the opposite way! You can get from Bayonne to Irun, you may be able to walk along the beach. The albergue in Irun is very nice, but in a 1st floor flat, so no camping there. The best camping spot ever is at the top of Mont Jezkibel (your 1st mountain) after Irun. At the top is a parking area on the left, with a ruin and a viewpoint, you get a 360% view, nobody will mind you pitching there and it is sooo beautiful! About a mile or so further on the left is a spring - sacred to the Basque people. Afew more miles and there's a cafe. In Pasai Donibane (the village on the other side) make sure you get the ferry across the inlet - otherwise its a long, smoggy, busy walk around. After San Sebastian there is an expensive campsite at the top of the hill, but if you went a bit further, you could wildcamp (there is a viewpoint/park -with toilets!) It is legal to wild camp in Spain as long as you are more than 1km from a campsite. There's a private albergue before Orio, but if its no good, there is a campsite down towards the beach. Between Santona and Santander DO NOT miss the albergue at Guemes! It was one of the highlights of our Camino. The priest that runs it is lovely and feeds everyone as well as giving a talk on the route and area and lots of info on his travels.
I hope you have a wonderful time, Bon Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It is legal to wild camp in Spain as long as you are more than 1km from a campsite
And not in a town, and not on private property, and no fires.

The Loire is a lovely cycle too - good practice before you hit the hills of Spain! If you like gardens don't miss Villandry, and there's a nice campsite on the island in the river at Saumur.

'And not in a town, and not on private property, and no fires.'[/quote]

In practice if you can find a landowner they never mind you camping, and as long as you leave no trace.... Also there are many picnic areas which have concrete bbqs to use - it is really important tho' - in summer when everything is tinder dry, not to make any open fires, and be careful with gas stoves too. Clear the area you will cook in of any dry material, and always have some water at hand. In general being thoughtful and aware will make you welcome!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As far as camping goes, I have heard that it is not that easy. There is little in the way of public lands and landowners cannot be counted on to give permission, particularly near towns and cities-- I have heard different explanations from memories of displaced persons after the Civil War to anti-gypsy sentiment. You should make an effort to contact the turismos along the way-- I have found them to be very helpful-- owing to the fact that the north shore is a traditional Spanish holiday area, there are a number of legal campgrounds in the area. IIRC the Basque and Asturian tourism authorities have accommodation leaflets, listing campgrounds.

Thanks everyone . Hecate - some great ideas, thank you so much. We are certainly open to staying in albergues etc but I am stiil recovering from my cancer treatnment so having a tent will enable us to "hit the sack" if I run out of steam between albergues. Having said that, training in the hills of New Zealand is slowly making me pretty fit. We are past campers and certainly adhere to " leave nothing but your footprints" philosophy.

Most read last week in this forum

On the Camino Del Norte. Surprised by the amount of pilgrims. Many mature pilgrims, like myself with a few Caminos under their belt, mostly appear to be staying in hotels. If staying in hotels be...
Hi I just joined and will be doing a solo walk from SJPP to Finisterre in May Jun 2025... long time to go yet but VV excited ... will be finalising dates and flights from Canberra as soon as...
For those of you who are using the ATM colour chart. One bank is suggested at less than 2 Euro when in fact was 4.50 Euro per withdrawal
Hello Pilgrims, I am Brendan an Australian Scot. I am new to the forum, but not new to the Camino. On Tuesday May 28 I will start on my seventh Camino the Norte from San Sebastián. I will try and...
I am looking for people who want to walk the camino del norte in may 2025 - starting from Irun, Bilbao or another place. Nice to hear from you.
Ciao everyone, just a quick introduction. I'll be starting my Camino from SJPP on June 6th 2024 I've always been curious and for now I'm taking it with a grain of salt and cautious optimism...but...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back