• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can you help with albergue opening times on the Portugues?

peregrina2000

Staff member
One thing our litle CSJ guide could use is information on the opening times for the public albergues. I've just heard about a pilgrim who showed up at Rates at 2:30 in the afternoon and found the albergue closed and no sign on the door with the opening time. It seems that having good information about the opening times of albergues would be a big help.

So, if you were on the Portugues recently and can help, it would be greatly appreciated. I'll keep an updated list and let people know as we go.

Muito obrigada! Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
One thing our litle CSJ guide could use is information on the opening times for the public albergues. I've just heard about a pilgrim who showed up at Rates at 2:30 in the afternoon and found the albergue closed and no sign on the door with the opening time. It seems that having good information about the opening times of albergues would be a big help.

So, if you were on the Portugues recently and can help, it would be greatly appreciated. I'll keep an updated list and let people know as we go.

Muito obrigada! Laurie
Ola Laurie -
if one finds the Albergues closed in Rates, do walk up the street for 50meters or so to the MiniMercado - the owner would have the key.
At the Mosteiro Santa Isabel in Santa Clara near Coimbra , as I recall: opens @ 15:00hr until 19:00hr (that's when the reception downstairs in the gift-shop closes) and out by 8:00hr in the morning.
Tui (Spain) opens @ 13:00hr
Redondela (Spain) opens @ 13:00hr - out by 8:00hr
Teo was open early afternoon, but Staff scheduled to be there only for 2hr in the late afternoon to stamp passports/receive payment

that's all I remember - shall edit posting if i find more notes. saluti!

The problem with Albergues schedules, it's that they can change at any time, due to different circumstances. I remember that the one in Pontevedra, opens only at 04:00PM (16:00) from October or November, untill the end of April.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ola Laurie -
if one finds the Albergues closed in Rates, do walk up the street for 50meters or so to the MiniMercado - the owner would have the key.
At the Mosteiro Santa Isabel in Santa Clara near Coimbra , as I recall: opens @ 15:00hr until 19:00hr (that's when the reception downstairs in the gift-shop closes) and out by 8:00hr in the morning.
Tui (Spain) opens @ 13:00hr
Redondela (Spain) opens @ 13:00hr - out by 8:00hr
Teo was open early afternoon, but Staff scheduled to be there only for 2hr in the late afternoon to stamp passports/receive payment

that's all I remember - shall edit posting if i find more notes. saluti!
Ken Martins who is now on the caminho -good luck Ken tomorrow to Rubiaës- wrote me that the albergue in Rates was closed and so was the grocery shop so we came up to the idea of collecting the horrario's of the "public" albergues on route.
Laurie is collecting the info now
So thanks for the info Claudia.

Yes. We were intending to stay at the auburge in Rates. We had read somewhere that it was open at 2 and that we could gain access from the shop across the street. We waited an hour until 230 and neither opened. As it was a nice day we decided to carry on rather than take a chance that it wouldn't open at all. 3 other Pilgrims came through and made the same decision. No big deal. While keeping to a posted schedule would be ideal we understand these are pretty informal operations. Just would have helped if they had posted something on the door advising that they were not opening that day or would be opening at such and such time.

We will try to obtain more opening and closing timed as we make our way North.

Bon Comino

Yes. We were intending to stay at the auburge in Rates. We had read somewhere that it was open at 2 and that we could gain access from the shop across the street. We waited an hour until 230 and neither opened. As it was a nice day we decided to carry on rather than take a chance that it wouldn't open at all. 3 other Pilgrims came through and made the same decision. No big deal. While keeping to a posted schedule would be ideal we understand these are pretty informal operations. Just would have helped if they had posted something on the door advising that they were not opening that day or would be opening at such and such time.

We will try to obtain more opening and closing timed as we make our way North.

Bon Comino
Ola Ken - too bad you experienced such an unclear situation regarding the opening times in Rates. Was a lovely albergue w/ kind hosts in my experience (May 2014) ... and the owner of that li'l shop was helpful too. I know, cold comfort for you guys as you encountered none of them :-/
further up north are also albergues that open late/r (as in: past 4pm) -
Perhaps you found a nice overnight place in the next stop up (forgot name ...pedra furdato ??) - Bom Caminho ....and many blessings for a lovely and safe continuation!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ola Ken - too bad you experienced such an unclear situation regarding the opening times in Rates. Was a lovely albergue w/ kind hosts in my experience (May 2014) ... and the owner of that li'l shop was helpful too. I know, cold comfort for you guys as you encountered none of them :-/
further up north are also albergues that open late/r (as in: past 4pm) -
Perhaps you found a nice overnight place in the next stop up (forgot name ...pedra furdato ??) - Bom Caminho ....and many blessings for a lovely and safe continuation!
Pedra Furado. A bar who rents room to pilgrims .
The owner like jazzmusic. Instruments at the walls of the bar,pictures ,framed at the wall of the greatest players om earth. Nice place to stay or just have arest and get yourself a nice stamp on your credential.

W
Please, photo by Max Bespalov

View attachment 14391

Wow! Thanks, where did that come from? I suppose you don´t have anything similar for Lisboa to Porto, but since the albergues on that part are likely to be private, maybe that´s not a problem.

As others have said though, this may be of less help than we had hoped. I note for instance that your list says that Rates opens at 2 pm, but that is apparently no longer the case. So we may be left with frustrating uncertainty.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This pic has made by Max Bespalov in Sept 2014 in Barselos or near during his Camino

Pedra Furado. A bar who rents room to pilgrims .
The owner like jazzmusic. Instruments at the walls of the bar,pictures ,framed at the wall of the greatest players om earth. Nice place to stay or just have arest and get yourself a nice stamp on your credential.
Stayed there 3 nights ago. Antonio was just fab. Fantastic place to stay. Also stayed at Fernanda's and would recommend that as well. Then stayed at the new albergue Ninho. One of my best nights sleep.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Stayed there 3 nights ago. Antonio was just fab. Fantastic place to stay. Also stayed at Fernanda's and would recommend that as well. Then stayed at the new albergue Ninho. One of my best nights sleep.
Where is albergue Ninho Mich ?

Next year we will start our third caminho, starting from Fernanda's.
From her we will go to Viana do Castelo and walk from there the coastal.

Regards from Holland

Regards from Holland

It's in Rubiães, like 300 or 400 meters from the public Albergue.

Just one thing about the picture that @normaliser posted: the prices of the Albergues in Spain currently are 6€, and not 5€ has advertised. The Public Albergue in Rubiães works in Donativo, and those schedules can change during the season.

Regards from Holland
Albertinho it is in Rubiaes. It's new. Means nest. It is past the other one but closer to the bar

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
Hi everyone, I did the CF in 2022 and found the planning quite easy as there were albergues all the way so yiu can walk as much or as little as you please and there is always somewhere to stay. I...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back