• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Canadian Pilgrims - Freedom Mobile Question

stewinyvr

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances ( Future )
Hi fellow Canadian pilgrims. Has anyone used the Roam Beyond plan from Freedom Mobile whilst on the Camino? I am curious about how well it works in Spain. It seems like a good option vs getting a local SIM.
thanks in advance
Stewart

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Is it a flat fee like Roger's "Roam like home"? If so, it's $15 per day every time your phone connects to the infrasctructure.
Far better to get a SIM or E-SIM.... anywhere from 15-40 euros for a month, depending on how many GB you want to buy.

Roam Beyond is one of their standard plans, you can use the data in 81 countries, so you basically don't need to get a second sim. I just signed up last month, but haven had the chance to use it overseas yet, so I was curious if others had.. I got a good deal $45/40GB per month. you can also make local calls in the countries, and call back to Canada..

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Get a local company, "Orange" perhaps, drop into a Kiosk at airport when you land, they will install SIM and activate 20-40E, (as mentioned), all you need for 28 day....staying longer, mention to attendant at Kiosk, they will advise. Do Not use any Canada Roaming options, very expensive and Not reliable.
I have even purchased SIM card from vending machine at airport arrival.

Get a local company, "Orange" perhaps, drop into a Kiosk at airport when you land, they will install SIM and activate 20-40E, (as mentioned), all you need for 28 day....staying longer, mention to attendant at Kiosk, they will advise. Do Not use any Canada Roaming options, very expensive and Not reliable.
I have even purchased SIM card from vending machine at airport arrival.
Hi Teddie, I have done this in the past. The Roam Beyond account doesn’t work like this however, the data on the account can be used in Canada and in other countries with no roaming charges..I was curious if anyone has used it. If not, I’ll report back once I have, and let people know if it was a reliable, affordable option.

Sorry for the super long post, but here's my experience with Freedom Roam Beyond, and my opinions!
I'm with Freedom Mobile, and am currently upgraded to the Roam Beyond 60GB plan, as I was doing the Camino Del Norte late March through early May. It worked really well for me. I had good cell coverage throughout the route. 60GB was way more data than I needed, even with running Wise Pilgrim, Gronze and Garmin Connect route tracking constantly. So I occasionally also used my phone as a Personal Hotspot for my iPad, like if hostel WIFI was flaky or I wanted to use my iPad in a restaurant. (Not much though, as that burns data AND battery quite quickly.)

It includes unlimited long distance call back to Canada too. I used that quite a bit and it worked fine.
I only had one problem where there was some kind of "could not connect to network" issue, and after consulting Google, that was fixed easily by going into and out of Airplane Mode.

In the past I have used Orange (eSIM purchased in advance) and Vodafone (SIM purchased in Porto) in Portugal and Spain last October. They worked fine for data and texting, but there are some inconveniences obviously to not using your home number. The most annoying inconvenience is dealing with our Visa bank's insistence on texting a validation number for all online Visa transactions to my Canadian phone number, and refusing to use a European number for that. If you want to buy tickets to attractions or trains or whatever online while on the road, you're screwed unless you activate your home SIM and pay the outrageous daily roaming charge. Then there is letting folks know your away number and dealing with sites that use that number as two factor authentication, and changing it all back afterward. (Whine, whine, whine - sorry!) And, they usually provide minimal voice calling time, like 30 minutes a month. One call to a help desk somewhere and that's gone and you're into extra charges.

Anyway, for these reasons, we decided to try Freedom Mobile. It has been really good. We use a very basic plan of theirs while at home, but did a temporary US roaming upgrade for a short trip there. Easy and immediate to downgrade to the lower rate when home. Based on that good experience I decided to use it for the Camino trip.

Note that there are some limitations on the Roam Beyond plans. I had to purchase it for a minimum of 3 months. I was okay with that because I was going to be away for a 7 weeks anyway. But if you're doing a short trip you might want to look at their other roaming options. We will be doing that for a short trip to England in September.

I don't think it is really that expensive. When you consider that if you get a European SIM & plan, you still have to continue paying for your home plan even though you are not using it. For example, if a European cheap data plan costs for 20 euro (~$25cdn) for the duration and I'm still paying $40 a month to Telus or whoever for nothing, then it's actually costing me $65 a month for my phone while travelling. Freedom's Roam Beyond 60 costs me $70 per month, that is, $5 more. All the convenience of my home number, unlimited LD to Canada, and tons of data for $5 a month seems like good value to me.

They also have a less expensive Roam Beyond 15GB. Based on my usage that would have been enough for me. I used about 10GB of data over the 46 day trip. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sorry for the super long post, but here's my experience with Freedom Roam Beyond, and my opinions!
I'm with Freedom Mobile, and am currently upgraded to the Roam Beyond 60GB plan, as I was doing the Camino Del Norte late March through early May. It worked really well for me. I had good cell coverage throughout the route. 60GB was way more data than I needed, even with running Wise Pilgrim, Gronze and Garmin Connect route tracking constantly. So I occasionally also used my phone as a Personal Hotspot for my iPad, like if hostel WIFI was flaky or I wanted to use my iPad in a restaurant. (Not much though, as that burns data AND battery quite quickly.)

It includes unlimited long distance call back to Canada too. I used that quite a bit and it worked fine.
I only had one problem where there was some kind of "could not connect to network" issue, and after consulting Google, that was fixed easily by going into and out of Airplane Mode.

In the past I have used Orange (eSIM purchased in advance) and Vodafone (SIM purchased in Porto) in Portugal and Spain last October. They worked fine for data and texting, but there are some inconveniences obviously to not using your home number. The most annoying inconvenience is dealing with our Visa bank's insistence on texting a validation number for all online Visa transactions to my Canadian phone number, and refusing to use a European number for that. If you want to buy tickets to attractions or trains or whatever online while on the road, you're screwed unless you activate your home SIM and pay the outrageous daily roaming charge. Then there is letting folks know your away number and dealing with sites that use that number as two factor authentication, and changing it all back afterward. (Whine, whine, whine - sorry!) And, they usually provide minimal voice calling time, like 30 minutes a month. One call to a help desk somewhere and that's gone and you're into extra charges.

Anyway, for these reasons, we decided to try Freedom Mobile. It has been really good. We use a very basic plan of theirs while at home, but did a temporary US roaming upgrade for a short trip there. Easy and immediate to downgrade to the lower rate when home. Based on that good experience I decided to use it for the Camino trip.

Note that there are some limitations on the Roam Beyond plans. I had to purchase it for a minimum of 3 months. I was okay with that because I was going to be away for a 7 weeks anyway. But if you're doing a short trip you might want to look at their other roaming options. We will be doing that for a short trip to England in September.

I don't think it is really that expensive. When you consider that if you get a European SIM & plan, you still have to continue paying for your home plan even though you are not using it. For example, if a European cheap data plan costs for 20 euro (~$25cdn) for the duration and I'm still paying $40 a month to Telus or whoever for nothing, then it's actually costing me $65 a month for my phone while travelling. Freedom's Roam Beyond 60 costs me $70 per month, that is, $5 more. All the convenience of my home number, unlimited LD to Canada, and tons of data for $5 a month seems like good value to me.

They also have a less expensive Roam Beyond 15GB. Based on my usage that would have been enough for me. I used about 10GB of data over the 46 day trip. Of course, your mileage may vary.
Thanks for the comprehensive reply - I am happy to hear that the coverage is generally good in Spain. I will have a chance to test it out before my trip as I have a trip to the UK coming up as well. I actually signed up for the 15GB plan, which generally is more than enough for me. I got lucky though as two weeks after I signed up I got an offer to bump it to 40GB for no extra cost...
I just retired, and am planning a number of trips over the next few years, so this looked like a great option rather than purchasing sim cards in multiple locations...Buen Camino..

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, I want to make El Camino from SJPDP (Plus a few days in Portugal and Finisterre) with only one backpack. I am thinking of purchasing the Osprey Aether Plus 60, is it a good option? Or what...
In a quandry about whether to wear my hiking sandals or leather hiking boots on the Camino.
Hi all, for anyone interested the macabi skirts are on sale...I have worn these on 3 camino, the Via Francigena, Camino Portugues from Lisbon, and on the Way of St. Francis (in cold and heat 41c)...
Hi everyone I'm really having problems with planning what to pack for my walk from SJPP during mid March. From what I understand the Napolean route will still be closed? And the big headache is...
My daughter is coming with me and wondering if a 2-piece swimsuit is appropriate, or if she needs a 1-piece. Suggestions?
Best app to keep family and friends updated on your Camino whereabouts?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.