• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Kayak Marcilhac to Cabrarets

Leigh Lorayne

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2015)
Camino del Norte Irun to Ribadasella (2016)
Camino Primitivo Oviedo to Santiago (2016)
Yesterday I kayaked from Marcilhac-Sur-CELE to Cabrarets. A great day! The river is higher right now but perfect for me. There are quite a few rapids but easily navigable with high water. There was one intimidating that I mentioned to the owner. It is soon after the straight metal bridge ( versus the stone arched ones ). The rock shelf across the river creates a straight drop of about 2+ feet. Too dangerous to take straight on. I made a choice to keep shore left heading for an exposed part of the rock shelf. I dragged the kayak over into a small inlet. Water in front was eddying but I pulled through it and voila! The right shore side looked like a choice but the owner nixed that so I was glad of the choice I made. He said in lower water this rapid is not a problem. After that is another significant rapid but no drops! Fun to navigate. Again I kept left but just skirted by a big rock that would be visible in lower water. For those two rapids I thought for a moment I was on a different river! Because the river is quite tranquil. I easily portaged over two of the three chutes, but decided to run the last one at Cabrarets knowing I could be rescued! It was fun! I did get wet so I was glad I didn’t do the others as I would have been cold for much of the day. The scenery is more spectacular after the metal bridge- canoeing past high rock cliffs that come down to the water. Once canoeing under rock overhang with water dripping like rain. The views of the buildings high up in the cliff and seeing Cabrarets from the water. My telephone died so I have none if that. Heads up if you get overzealous with pictures too early! The kayak is very stable and the dry barrel protects any valuables. Lionel transports your pack to pick up site. A really fun experience and a rest for the feet😊. The company is Passion Aventures.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What a wonderful addition to your Camino! I have kyaked on a lake, but never on a river with rapids!! Do you think this is something a flat water kayaker could navigate ? I’d love to add this to my Sept Camino

Many thanks! And Buen Camino!

Yes, because that is me! I have kayaked on a lake but not a river. It was 20 km and I wasn’t sure if that would be too long but it wasn’t, perhaps because I had help from the current. I don’t know about the water level in Sept. You could discuss with the owner. It was a fun experience. Glad I did it. I hope it works for you.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back