• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Care For Zippers

• Thread starter Deleted member 67185
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67185

I was just finishing doing some zipper cleaning and lubrication on my packs and other gear, and the thought occurred to me to post a bit of a recommendation. Hip belt pockets, rain jacket and windshells, sleeping bags (in cooler weather), pants, ... well basically anything using a zipper can greatly benefit from periodic cleaning and lubrication. Zippers can get a lot of grit and gunk in them which makes operating them an exercise in irritation sometimes requiring forceful tugging to just move the zipper in tiny incremental steps.

If the zipper is on an item which can be washed, that will remove the dirt. A small, stiff-bristled, nylon brush (toothbrushes can be good) can help remove a lot of debris, especially the dust and dirt particles. If there is a lot of build up, a small cup of diluted detergent, like Dawn, can be used with the brush to help break down any oily or greasy residue which trap dirt particles in the zippers teeth.

I have been this product for quite a while on zippers which actually does a good job in doing the cleaning. But, what I really like is the lubricating that it provides which will not capture and hold dirt. It dries into a dry lubricant which is fairly long lasting, and it definitely makes a noticeable improvement in zipper operation.

So, after either having a zipper in the wash or giving it a good brush out, applying McNetts will finish removing dirt and stuff, and then will dry to form a lubricated surface.

I used to use things like paraffin blocks, beeswax, crayons, etc, but that stuff eventually becomes sticky from exposure to the elements and with the dust and micro-dirt particles it collects. It is a good short term tool, and when trying to do an emergency correction to a stubborn zipper, it will definitely work.

For overall cleaning and lubrication, I like the McNetts stuff much better.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
davebugg, I always appreciate your posts but, seriously mate, have you considered getting out more often?!!

:) I get that. Well, lately I have only been able to go out for two hours or so at a time when my usual is at least double that; I just don't feel up to doing more. Even at that reduced level, I am going a lot slower than normal and then need to spend far more time taking it easy at home. I have had to cancel three contracts to do some gear testing as the result of what has been happening, which means that I am at home more. And right now, I am in between consulting gigs involving other concerns.

I am doing a lot of baking, though :)

Most of my posts here take a short bit of time to write, and oftimes the syntax and grammar seems to reflect that, too. :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Dave, here is a present from another thread. (Credits to stgcph) Cut it out, wrap it in a strong but pliable bag, and stick it to your pack for your forthcoming Camino! Have a wee rest, and a good laugh. And then, later, more serious stuff. For now, a time for not working too hard...
BACD37EF-B1CE-4CAD-9BA6-B58E18725956.jpeg

I was just finishing doing some zipper cleaning and lubrication on my packs and other gear, and the thought occurred to me to post a bit of a recommendation. Hip belt pockets, rain jacket and windshells, sleeping bags (in cooler weather), pants, ... well basically anything using a zipper can greatly benefit from periodic cleaning and lubrication. Zippers can get a lot of grit and gunk in them which makes operating them an exercise in irritation sometimes requiring forceful tugging to just move the zipper in tiny incremental steps.

If the zipper is on an item which can be washed, that will remove the dirt. A small, stiff-bristled, nylon brush (toothbrushes can be good) can help remove a lot of debris, especially the dust and dirt particles. If there is a lot of build up, a small cup of diluted detergent, like Dawn, can be used with the brush to help break down any oily or greasy residue which trap dirt particles in the zippers teeth.

I have been this product for quite a while on zippers which actually does a good job in doing the cleaning. But, what I really like is the lubricating that it provides which will not capture and hold dirt. It dries into a dry lubricant which is fairly long lasting, and it definitely makes a noticeable improvement in zipper operation.

So, after either having a zipper in the wash or giving it a good brush out, applying McNetts will finish removing dirt and stuff, and then will dry to form a lubricated surface.

I used to use things like paraffin blocks, beeswax, crayons, etc, but that stuff eventually becomes sticky from exposure to the elements and with the dust and micro-dirt particles it collects. It is a good short term tool, and when trying to do an emergency correction to a stubborn zipper, it will definitely work.

For overall cleaning and lubrication, I like the McNetts stuff much better.

Interesting post, Dave. Not worried about your getting out, BTW! I never considered cleaning the Zippers! Hmmm?

Interesting post, Dave. Not worried about your getting out, BTW! I never considered cleaning the Zippers! Hmmm?

I started spending time on zippers after I could no longer stand the frustration of wrestling with my hipbelt pocket's zippers to get at their contents and then get them closed again. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Dave, here is a present from another thread. (Credits to stgcph) Cut it out, wrap it in a strong but pliable bag, and stick it to your pack for your forthcoming Camino! Have a wee rest, and a good laugh. And then, later, more serious stuff. For now, a time for not working too hard...
View attachment 45261

LOL!!! Thank you. :)

:) I get that. Well, lately I have only been able to go out for two hours or so at a time when my usual is at least double that; I just don't feel up to doing more. Even at that reduced level, I am going a lot slower than normal and then need to spend far more time taking it easy at home. I have had to cancel three contracts to do some gear testing as the result of what has been happening, which means that I am at home more. And right now, I am in between consulting gigs involving other concerns.

I am doing a lot of baking, though :)

Most of my posts here take a short bit of time to write, and oftimes the syntax and grammar seems to reflect that, too. :)
It's been too hot to walk for me in the UK recently so I've fallen back on baking too (I know, I know!)

I've now perfected my sourdough bread but seem to be putting on weight - it is a puzzlement!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
And a little "zipper humor" ala Gary Larson also smooths out the issues....View attachment 45266
Now this, at my age, I can relate to.
I met two Canadian brothers on my first Camino. The first was a highly intelligent and respected QC in the Canadian courts and had, apparently, written the major part of the constitution for a state in Southern Africa but could barely tie a shoelace without being reminded. His younger, devoted brother was there to look after him.

You could always tell if there had been a wardrobe malfunction as brother No2 would yell "YKK!" at the top of his voice. Always worked.

Most read last week in this forum

So….. we had 1 inch of rain here at home in a 4 hour period. We found it and opportunity to test our packs/setup. We hiked 12 miles in pure downpour. We both wore shorts and no pack covers as mine...
All I’ve seen this advertised here on the site and wondered if anyone had used one and what’s the experience. I’m follically challenged Irish guy so fair complexion but I also get very hot with...
My husband and I will be walking our first camino from SJPP to Santiago, then on to Finisterre and Muxia starting on Sep 7. We are slow walkers and plan to take some rest days, so we are planning...
I’m walking the Frances in late Oct thru November. Is a 55L osprey too large in your opinion? Thx is for suggestions. Frank
Dear all, as I intent to bring a tent I would be very grateful if you could share some of your tips on how to keep the total weight down or even your own packing list. Currently I am about to...
I have a pacemaker on my left upper chest, right where a backpack strap goes. I am considering using a large messenger bag, approximately 20 litres, and a small hip pack, less than 5 litres...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.