• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What do you normally do - Carry backpack or use transport service?

Referring to your most recent or currently-planned Camino, what is your normal practice?

• I usually carry everything in a back pack on my back.

Votes: 201 68.4%
  • I usually use a luggage transport service.

Votes: 60 20.4%
  • I have mixed it up with at least 30% of both approaches

Votes: 33 11.2%

• Total voters

C clearly

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012
Addition: Please just answer the poll and don't add posts with defense, explanations and discussion of the pros and cons and your personal reasons. You can vote and have it counted, without adding any further reply to the thread.

I am feeling daring. Recently, various posts have made comments or assumptions about what percentage of people on the Camino use backpack/luggage transport regularly, versus those whose practice is to carry their backpack.

@grayland suggested a simple poll and I agree that it would be interesting to understand the forum demographics.

So, if you have walked the camino in the past and/or you have active plans to walk it and you have decided how to transport your bag, here is a poll. Of course I assume that virtually all people will carry some things during the day.

Note that I am not asking for explanations of why. Nor am I asking:
  • About luggage that you might send to Santiago for use after the Camino.
  • About re-supplying provisions (e.g. new shoes at the halfway point of a long camino).
  • About very occasional changes when you might deviate from your normal routine.
  • What type of bag/luggage you use for any transported item.
I am just asking what your "normal" practice is - how you intend to get your belonging from one accommodation to the next, on a day-to-day basis, on your most recent or currently planned Camino.

P.S.
- Don't be afraid of judgement. Answers to the poll question are anonymous. We are just curious what the real numbers are.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I doubt some folks who have a bag transported will reveal it given the history of negativity that has been expressed on this forum regarding shipping bags.
Yes, that's why I added the note about the anonymity.

That's why I also urged people not to post their reasons, so this thread can remain without that debate. There is another thread here that has a poll and discussion of the "why". I just wanted to know what percentage of people tend to carry everything and what percentage tend to use transport service.

I hope people who use transport will respond, so that we have a better picture of what forum members do.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So far, 12.5% say they get their bags transported all the way. There were over 400000 pilgrims getting compostelas last year so that could represent more than 50000 pilgrims having their bags transported. The true picture is obviously a lot more complicated than that since many of that 400000 pilgrims only walked from Sarria not to mention that this forum is probably not very representative of pilgrims in general in terms of age and nationality. But it makes you think.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Maybe replies should be tuned off as people seem to be offering explanations for their answer instead of just answering the question.
I'm not sure if it's possible to lock the thread to new replies and also leave the poll open. I agree, that would be best for this poll if it's possible.

Why do people think this forum isn't representative of most pilgrims?
It is hard to see from this graphic for 2022 (taken from the Pilgrim Office website), but well under 10% of pilgrims registered at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago came from English-speaking countries. In 2022, over 50% were Spanish, then 4 of the next 5 countries were also non-English-speaking. Our English-speaking forum has much different representation.

Capture.JPG

It is hard to see from this graphic for 2022 (taken from the Pilgrim Office website), but well under 10% of pilgrims registered at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago came from English-speaking countries. In 2022, over 50% were Spanish, then 4 of the next 5 countries were also non-English-speaking. Our English-speaking forum has much different representation.

View attachment 151913
Got it and thanks for the response. I didn't think about it that way but you're right.
When I'm walking it seems like everyone is pretty much the same because of the shared experience.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I doubt some folks who have a bag transported will reveal it given the history of negativity that has been expressed on this forum regarding shipping bags.
The poll is completely anonymous. Unless someone feels moved to reveal themselves in a comment, nothing is revealed. 😊

WTP. What the point, who cares!
Lots of us are curious. That's all.

I do both, cary a light pack with what I need for the day, and use luggage services too

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have deleted a number of posts. This thread is intended to gather some anonymous data, not to discuss and identify individual's explanations for why they do or don't carry a backpack. There are many other threads with those discussions.

I cannot close the discussion without closing the poll, and I hoped to leave the poll up for a week. That way, we would get better participation from people who are not such fanatics as us daily forum visitors.

So please do not post replies to this thread about your personal circumstances. Just "vote" in the poll, and we can discuss the anonymous objective data.

If people are unhappy with this limitation, the only alternative will be to close or delete the whole thread.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Addition: Please just answer the poll and don't add posts with defense, explanations and discussion of the pros and cons and your personal reasons. You can vote and have it counted, without adding any further reply to the thread.

I am feeling daring. Recently, various posts have made comments or assumptions about what percentage of people on the Camino use backpack/luggage transport regularly, versus those whose practice is to carry their backpack.

@grayland suggested a simple poll and I agree that it would be interesting to understand the forum demographics.

So, if you have walked the camino in the past and/or you have active plans to walk it and you have decided how to transport your bag, here is a poll. Of course I assume that virtually all people will carry some things during the day.

Note that I am not asking for explanations of why. Nor am I asking:
  • About luggage that you might send to Santiago for use after the Camino.
  • About re-supplying provisions (e.g. new shoes at the halfway point of a long camino).
  • About very occasional changes when you might deviate from your normal routine.
  • What type of bag/luggage you use for any transported item.
I am just asking what your "normal" practice is - how you intend to get your belonging from one accommodation to the next, on a day-to-day basis, on your most recent or currently planned Camino.

P.S.
- Don't be afraid of judgement. Answers to the poll question are anonymous. We are just curious what the real numbers are.
I wish you had a 4th choice: I always carry everything in my pack or on my person.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I wish you had a 4th choice: I always carry everything in my pack or on my person.
The question is basically do you usually carry everything that you need on Camino yourself (in a backpack, lumbar pack, hiking trailer, pockets, crossbody bag, etc) or do you usually ship all or part of your gear?
Usually is used because always could skew the numbers, since there are people who almost always carry everything, but if they are injured use a transfer service.

Last edited:
A bit off topic but the results so far generates a further question.

What percentage of posts on the forum concern luggage transport?
It seems that transport Is a major subject.
The poll (so far) would make it appear that these threads and posts are actually by a smaller group than I had thought.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What percentage of posts on the forum concern luggage transport?
The "tag cloud" at the bottom of the main Forums page gives a very rough indication. The size of the text reflects the number of times the tag has been added. But we add tags sparingly, so many/most general enquiries that include several topics would not get all of the relevant tags.

You can see that the most common tag is "phone/apps/gps/maps", but that is also because the topic seems to general distinct threads that are easily to tag. "Foot wear" is naturally a very common topic. Luggage transport questions are often lumped in with general enquiries and with "backpack & packing".

In any case, luggage transport is a frequently-used tag.

Capture.JPG

That’s answer #1
Of course. #1 includes my suggested answer. My answer does not include #1.
Without telling me about your own situation, how is that wording significantly different from the first option? Just the word "always"?

Not just the word always. Technically, one might never carry everything in a pack AND never use a transport service. I.E., one might never use a transport service, but always carry some things in a backpack AND carry some things in a fanny pack, in pockets OR or in hands. I would suggest almost no-one usually carries EVERYTHING in a pack on their back.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

View attachment 151913
Throw out the last 100km on any trip, and I'd love to see the results. Also, everyone speaks English. Well, except French people, but sometimes they do.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Why not close the thread to replies if you don't want people to clarify their poll response?

I do not like polls in which the tick does not tell the whole truth.
There are "Lies, Damme lies and Statistics."
I carried my rucksack throughout my 60's and most of my 70's. Now because of old age I am forced to use 'Rucksack transport.' I do not want to be counted among 'luggage transport' users.
|I have seen them, I have seen them with cases so large that I myself and my ruck could fit into one of them.
There would even be room for several large 'Tartas de Santiago on the way home!!!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
and there it is! wow! my 2 cents
Ok so like I wish I could see your original post before I respond to a quote of a post I wrote that has since been deleted. Truth is, I don't care if someone ships a bag. I don't care if they use an agency. There are entirely valid reasons. The more people who get to enjoy the way the better imo.

Ok so like I wish I could see your original post before I respond to a quote of a post I wrote that has since been deleted. Truth is, I don't care if someone ships a bag. I don't care if they use an agency. There are entirely valid reasons. The more people who get to enjoy the way the better imo.
post is still there, #2

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was not interested in participating in the poll because it is simply too subjective and the word "usually" jumped out at me like a sore thumb. I think these could be reasons many members felt they needed to explain themselves. There are too many variables to get any true accuracy in this poll, imo.

People don't need to explain themselves in a completely anonymous poll. No-one knows how anyone else has voted. So I suspect the posts are more for the sake of expressing an opinion than anything else. And quibbling about language.

The question is clear enough. Except in unusual circumstances, do you use bag transport or not? It's not a complicated question.
The question is basically do you usually carry everything that you need on Camino yourself (in a backpack, lumbar pack, hiking trailer, pockets, crossbody bag, etc) or do you usually ship all or part of your gear?
Usually is used because always could skew the numbers, since there are people who almost always carry everything, but if they are injured use a transfer service.

I do not like polls in which the tick does not tell the whole truth.
There are "Lies, Damme lies and Statistics."
I carried my rucksack throughout my 60's and most of my 70's. Now because of old age I am forced to use 'Rucksack transport.' I do not want to be counted among 'luggage transport' users.
|I have seen them, I have seen them with cases so large that I myself and my ruck could fit into one of them.
There would even be room for several large 'Tartas de Santiago on the way home!!!!
I'm sorry, Lydia, that you felt the need to insult "luggage transport" users in your post. This was exactly what I was trying to avoid.

it is simply too subjective and the word "usually" jumped out at me like a sore thumb.
How subjective is it to know if there is "usually" a backpack on your back while you are walking on a Camino?

€149,-
How subjective is it to know if there is "usually" a backpack on your back while you are walking on a Camino?
I think "usually" is too vague for me because I "always" carry my own backpack. I guess I am being a bit pedantic about it, but didn't feel any option described me.
That said, I will have no problem joining those who transfer their backpacks when it becomes the better option for me.

I think "usually" is too vague for me because I "always" carry my own backpack. I guess I am being a bit pedantic about it, but didn't feel any option described me.
Perhaps the poll should have said "choose the option that most closely applies to you." Then you would know that option 1 more closely applies to you, a person who has always carried all of their things, since neither of the other two describe you at all.

Why do people think this forum isn't representative of most pilgrims?
To throw out a generalisation, because most pilgrims only walk the Frances.

The people on here are far more hardcore and we walk every route in existence. If there was a route from Antarctica to Santiago, someone would do it. We also create new routes or recreate old routes. Basically this is the site for trailblazers and adventurers. That's why i come here and why I like it. :)

Sorry people are judgmental. I have a tear in my shoulder (choose to use alternative methods to care vs surgery and it includes not stressing it) and at 69 (when I walked the Frances) and 73 (planning the Portuguese) - my back is not the greatest. So I used a carrier service and will do it again.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Once again....a post is quickly and wrongly accused of being "judgemental".
No one in this thread has ever come close to making any derogatory remarks concerning anyone using transport services...especially those with physical or other need.

Why do folks feel the need to become defensive about this subject?
It is simply wrong to always use this word to demean other members.

To throw out a generalisation, because most pilgrims only walk the Frances.

The people on here are far more hardcore and we walk every route in existence. If there was a route from Antarctica to Santiago, someone would do it. We also create new routes or recreate old routes. Basically this is the site for trailblazers and adventurers. That's why i come here and why I like it. :)
Humble too!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back