• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Casa Fernanda?

Joeninho

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues
Okay, this might be a bit controversial, because all I've heard is nothing but praise, but is Casa Fernanda really worth the hype? I did the CP from Lisbon last year, and am planning to do it again this year. Anyway, I purposely avoided it because, well not sure really, maybe it's because I'm a bit of an introvert to be honest. So yeah, thoughts anyone? Obrigado

Edit:- I am in no way speaking disparagingly of the establishment, nor the hosts. I just didn't feel it was for me at the time, especially as between Lisbon and Porto there were far less pilgrims (8-10 tops on mine) and I felt anxious meeting so many new fellow peregrinos and the social element. I have nothing but love and respect for all the albergues, pensions and other accommodations, plus all the wonderful hosts that invite us into their beautiful countries, towns, villages and homes. x

Bom Caminho

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think it's always good to understand you may not have the same experience as others.
We didn't, but I would not say that negates others' experiences. We were unfortunate to 1) turn up earlier than she expected (we walk fast and did not have far to cover that day) and so we may have caught her off guard 2) someone had a medical emergency at dinner and so the singing and conversation we had heard about didn't happen and in its place was a sense of tension. Obviously this was not her fault!
On the other hand, we met some forum members there - they were delivering her a chicken in a cardboard box.....I doubt anyone else has had that experience;-)
It was a lovely garden to sit in and knit socks for the afternoon.

I am an introvert and I was at Casa Fernanda in April and enjoyed it. I think it’s really special to have a communal meal and that was something I hadn’t experienced when I did the CF in 2016. As an alternative to Casa Fernanda but also on the CP you can go to Pilgrims Nest/Ninho in Rubiaes for a communal meal which was low key but lovely. If I were to do the CP I would absolutely stay at Casa Fernanda again. It was such a unique experience and a nice break from searching the town for somewhere to eat.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Each night is different since the pilgrim mix is different, but the quality of the food and the kindness of the hosts is always present. It’s a lovely place to relax in the garden, enjoy a fabulous dinner and breakfast, and really feel the spirit of someone dedicated to pilgrims on the Camino. 1000% worth the stay

Most regard Casa Fernanda's as the very essence of Portuguese camino hospitality. Indeed, Fernanda and her husband Jacinto are genuine, dedicated and caring hosts who do their utmost to give their pilgrims a unique experience to remember.

But not everyone is comfortable with it and some feel it's a bit forced, a bit of a show. Personally, I would happily stay there again, they're lovely people, but I wouldn't go out of my way to, or make my plans around it.

Last edited:
Not being an extrovert myself normally I don't like to be put on a pressure to participate in Social activities like starting a song. At Fernandas this was not the case. I liked the place, The hospitalty of Fernanda. Typical I found the way she treated pilgrims who were too late to get a bed in her place. She talked with them, offered them drinks and advised them about other places to stay

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'm very extroverted, and when Fernanda said she loved Celine Dion, I was quick to make the best renditions I could while another pilgrim played the guitar. Obviously I cant sing that well, but we had a lot of fun, and while some couples danced, others simply laughed or enjoyed the food.
Hard for me to judge, but I had the impression that Fernanda "reads the room" well and doesnt push anyone to do anything - if you want to go to your bed early, all good. Or if you wanna stay in the corner, tapping on the table while the music goes on.

By the way, if anyone on the forum knows Celine Dion personally, would you tell her about Fernanda? She said so many times that it was her dream that one day Celine would ask to stay at her place that it would be lovely if it actually happened.

In 2019 I met a Portuguese TV celebrity at Fernanda’s , Ruth Marques who joined Carla, the hospitaleira from the albergue o Mosteiro do Vairão nearby Porto who for one or other reason showed up at Fernanda’s .We all were singing and dancing meanwhile enjoying the présence of the different nationalities and of course the food and drinks and the total atmosphere.
I have been many times at Fernanda’s and every time again she is so kind to the pilgrims and she cares for them . I suffered backpains -I could hardly walk - once and she took me to a physiotherapist, some villages away from where she lives.
John Brierley regulairy was a guest at her house.
she is the best. For me no doubts to stay there. I reserve a bed in advance to be shure there is a place for me.

I stayed at Casa Fernanda in April of this year. The pluses: Fernanda is truly warm and welcoming, her garden is a lovely oasis, the meal was good, and I met several nice people I ended up walking with on and off for several stages. I also saw Fernanda help pilgrims find accommodations after her place filled up. The minus (for me): the conversation with so many people around the dinner table was LOUD, which I don't like under normal circumstances and was especially hard to take after the quiet of the walk. One had to shout to the person seated next to you to be heard or to hear. I ended up going to bed as soon as possible as seemed polite after the meal ended. Conviviality at constant top volume is not for me. I'd stay there again if I were walking with someone who hadn't been to Casa Fernanda before, because I think it's an extraordinary experience on the CP, but not if I were by myself. Nonetheless I am grateful that I had the opportunity to stay at Casa Fernanda...once. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My daughters and I stayed at Casa Fernanda in June. It was a great experience. The appetizers in the afternoon were wonderful. The wine flowed. Although we are a bit reserved, the singing and dancing were a lot of fun and no none was forced to participate. I saw her phone other albergues to find accommodations for pilgrims who showed up without a reservation. She and Jacinto were very gracious as was their daughter who was home visiting. The food and home made wine were excellent. We wanted to leave early as we were going to walk to Rubiaes and planned on skipping breakfast. Jacinto graciously served us and the other people leaving early breakfast. They are a gracious and fun family who do a wonderful job.

I agree with all previous opinions about the dedication of Fernanda and her family to the pilgrims.
However, I would not repeat.
The day we stayed there we had done a long walk and were really tired: the hospitality of Fernanda was great and we had a nice dinner, but I found the after-dinner show totally out of place. That the dinner turns into a loud party is not bad per se, and many people seems to enjoy it, but it is not everyone (at least not for us).
We went bed as early as we could (and at this point we felt forced to stay longer than we wished...) and we couldn't have much rest till the loud music was over.

Okay, this might be a bit controversial, because all I've heard is nothing but praise, but is Casa Fernanda really worth the hype? I did the CP from Lisbon last year, and am planning to do it again this year. Anyway, I purposely avoided it because, well not sure really, maybe it's because I'm a bit of an introvert to be honest. So yeah, thoughts anyone? Obrigado

Bom Caminho
Short answer - Heck yes! it is everything people say and more.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think it's always good to understand you may not have the same experience as others.
We didn't, but I would not say that negates others' experiences. We were unfortunate to 1) turn up earlier than she expected (we walk fast and did not have far to cover that day) and so we may have caught her off guard 2) someone had a medical emergency at dinner and so the singing and conversation we had heard about didn't happen and in its place was a sense of tension. Obviously this was not her fault!
On the other hand, we met some forum members there - they were delivering her a chicken in a cardboard box.....I doubt anyone else has had that experience;-)
It was a lovely garden to sit in and knit socks for the afternoon.
Haha! Adrián and I were the forum members delivering her a chicken in a cardboard box. It was actually more difficult to find a suitable cardboard box, than acquiring the chicken! The idea wasn’t ours, but of someone else in our group!
Would I stay there again? Yes, because Fernanda and Jacinto are dedicated to helping pilgrims and obviously enjoy there role. Our dinner was delicious and the evening entertainment didn’t go on for too long. We arrived too early in the day, just as they were sitting down for lunch and they even offered some for us.

I'm an introvert and I'd certainly recommend staying there. Dinner is taken at a long table and too late I realised I would have been better sitting nearer the exit door so I could leave more easily when I'd had enough. It did push my introvert- comfort zone but I am very glad indeed that I stayed there. A truly joyful experience.

I loved Casa da Fernanda. I’m an introvert and not that comfortable in large groups but there was a chance to chat to people individually or in smaller groups in the afternoon so by the time we sat down to dinner I felt more relaxed. The wine probably helped as well. 😊

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Bom Caminho
Definitely worth the visit so you can have your own opinion! :) Why not? I'm an introvert myself and love walking alone and enjoy communal meals however. Fernanda is so kind and hospitable, not to mention a great cook. She goes out of her way to make you feel at home and find anything you need. Absolutely worth the experience. Her husband and daughter arrived after work for dinner as well. Great family!!!

Definitely worth the visit so you can have your own opinion! :) Why not? I'm an introvert myself and love walking alone and enjoy communal meals however. Fernanda is so kind and hospitable, not to mention a great cook. She goes out of her way to make you feel at home and find anything you need. Absolutely worth the experience. Her husband and daughter arrived after work for dinner as well. Great family!!!
I'm sold. Muito Obrigado.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I stayed at Casa Fernanda's last summer, and I don't understand some of these comments. "An after-dinner show?" That did not happen the night I was there. There were drinks in the garden before dinner, and then dinner inside the house, and then some people sang a few songs afterward. None of which is out of the ordinary at an albergue. If people wanted to go to bed, they just went to bed. Nor do I understand the comment about "so many people" at dinner. The only people at dinner were the peregrinos staying there and Fernanda and Jacinto, so maybe 16 people tops. Which is, again, pretty normal for an albergue (and much smaller than a lot of dinners at albergues.)

Anyway, Fernanda was very kind (she insisted I stay even though I didn't have a reservation when I turned up around 6pm), and the hospitality was really among the best I've encountered on a camino.

I stayed at Casa Fernanda's last summer, and I don't understand some of these comments. "An after-dinner show?" That did not happen the night I was there. There were drinks in the garden before dinner, and then dinner inside the house, and then some people sang a few songs afterward. None of which is out of the ordinary at an albergue. If people wanted to go to bed, they just went to bed. Nor do I understand the comment about "so many people" at dinner. The only people at dinner were the peregrinos staying there and Fernanda and Jacinto, so maybe 16 people tops. Which is, again, pretty normal for an albergue (and much smaller than a lot of dinners at albergues.)

Anyway, Fernanda was very kind (she insisted I stay even though I didn't have a reservation when I turned up around 6pm), and the hospitality was really among the best I've encountered on a camino.
Fernanda has 10 beds in the dorm, a room for 2 in the dorm , a room for 3 in the dorm and 2x2 beds in privat rooms in her house
Besides there is a double bed on the veranda
She can lodge 20 persons

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I don't understand your reaction. How an evening develops depends on how the people present react. It is not that Fernanda and Jaconto "deliver" a show. They stimulate people to sing, but there is no pressure to participate. How the situation develops, depends on the reactions. When I stayed there, there was nothing what resembled a party, and that was okay with me (I would have participated though)Like you said the main attraction of the Casa de Fernanda lies in their, heartfelt hospitality towards pilgrims ( even the ones that did not stay there)

Stayed at Casa Fernanda about 3 weeks ago - arriving just as the heavens opened to torrential rain and thunderstorm - the 3rd and heaviest that day. Lovely welcome by Fernanda and her husband, best padron peppers, slow cooked pork, dip, bread wine then a beautiful dinner in her house. Another pilgrim played the guitar, singing from each country - we being kiwis and aussies contributed Pokarekare Ana and Waltzing Matilda -which most people knew! Then whatever songs came up - not long, could come and go as we pleased, no pressure. Fernanda was amazing dealing with very wet pilgrims and damp conditions, offering advise, ringing other accommodation and taxis etc for those who arrived after she was full. Would certainly recommend😊

Edit:- I am in no way speaking disparagingly of the establishment, nor the hosts. I just didn't feel it was for me at the time, especially as between Lisbon and Porto there were far less pilgrims (8-10 tops on mine) and I felt anxious meeting so many new fellow peregrinos and the social element. I have nothing but love and respect for all the albergues, pensions and other accommodations, plus all the wonderful hosts that invite us into their beautiful countries, towns, villages and homes. x

Bom Caminho
Hello - I agree that everyone’s experiences may differ depending on the personalities of the pilgrims who are there but Fernanda and her family are amazing!!!

I’ve had the pleasure of staying there twice - once solo coming up from Lisbon in a very rainy November and last year with my daughter and Teo of her friends - absolutely amazing both times - so kind and friendly!

She doesn’t take crap from grumpy pilgrims which is nice to see but pays back kindness with kindness and will help anyone in need!

Would not hesitate to stay there anytime and I wish her nothing but the best 😊

Attachments

• 63fc0da5-0721-4fe2-907a-c5c20b59c3d7.jpeg
    63fc0da5-0721-4fe2-907a-c5c20b59c3d7.jpeg
    289.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7240.jpeg
    IMG_7240.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7231.jpeg
    IMG_7231.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 18
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A few thoughts from someone who has stayed there twice (including just about a week ago) and will again:
- most of us are introverts and that’s ok.
- sometimes it’s good to do
something that makes us a little uncomfortable.
- a little bit of singing after dinner is a good way to digest that huge meal. :)

I know this has been discussed before but could someone please remind me of the best way to contact these lovely people if you are hoping to reserve a bed. TIA

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I know this has been discussed before but could someone please remind me of the best way to contact these lovely people if you are hoping to reserve a bed. TIA

You must call her. She doesn’t use email.
Her phone number is on the Gronze listing

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I’m in Canada….doe she use WhatsApp?
No, she doesn't. When I called her I used the Viber app to make a very inexpensive phone call, keeping in mind what the local time in Portugal was. You could also use Skype.

Bom Caminho
I stayed there last March and am also an introvert. Sleep arrangement and WC facilities are good. Fernanda welcomes you with cold drinks and snacks in the garden. However, a Danish pilgrim friend who is a “friend” of Fernanda’s family arrived and basically took over the entire stay. He dominated our entire stay leaving the rest of us out of any communal feeling. Apart from that issue I left the next morning thinking it’s not worth the hype at all. You decide!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am an extroverted introvert (which I found out is a real thing and describes me perfectly.) I walk solo and do not like to be pulled into the limelight or pressured to perform. When I stopped at Fernanda's, I and others arriving around the same time were guided to a table in the garden and she brought us some homemade cake and wine and left us alone. I can't believe she does this almost every day, because she gave us the kind of attention someone would if it were the first time guests had showed up in a long time. We were given time to relax and then later, called to dinner. Again, I got the feeling this was a unique experience and that she was happy to have us there. People were invited to sing songs from their native countries and I especially appreciated hearing a young man from China sing a traditional song from his homeland. I had walked with him briefly a day before and learned that he comes from a remote part of the country that speaks a unique dialect. It was a real gift to hear him sing in his native language. The ability to bring people together from all over the world and make them feel comfortable in someone's home is a rare and special thing. I loved it.

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.