• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Casa Rural Recommendations

Hollie Clevenger

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept to Oct (2015, CF), Oct to Nov (2017, CF)
On my camino 2 years ago, the camino provided with advice and recommendations to stay at El Molino outside Hornillos del Camino (yes, the casa rural from The Way). It was a beautiful place, and my friend and I had the most amazing time meeting Milagros and the rest of the crew as well as some new fellow pilgrims.

This year, I was hoping to have a repeat visit to El Molino but sadly they will be closed for the season (we are not starting till October 11). I was hoping to find some great Casa Rural recommendations here if any of you dear friends have any. We are not trying to live luxuriously on the Camino by any means (though I will be honest we are treating ourselves to Los Paradores in León). We will be staying at donativos and the like because we are in search of "communal" experiences - shared meals, shared stories, shared laughter. That's what El Molino was like for me 2 years ago.

Please let me know if you have any recommendations for anywhere along the route. Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm afraid I have bad news for you regarding the Parador in Leon. They are shutting down as of Oct 1st for about 2.5 years... Click here to see a thread from last January about this.

Good luck with the Casa Rurals however... For my money they are more fun and a better experience anyway ;)
Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Casa Roan y Casa Grande at Lodoso is wonderful.

It's about 3km from Portos, but they come and pick you up and drop you back the next morning.

It's like an old stone castle, with massively thick walls, crooked floorboards, huge fireplaces (roaring when I stayed at the end of April), and stuffed with antique and heavy wooden furniture.

I paid €67 for a twin room with breakfast in April this year (found on booking.com) and then it was €20 each for a fantastic 3 course dinner. The breakfast was enormous, everything you could think of was offered.

Our laundry was done for €5, but we didn't get it back until the following morning (it was dried overnight in the kitchen).

It was my most expensive night ever on the Camino, but my daughter and I loved it. Thoroughly recommend.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We just stayed a few nights ago in El Molino de Floren in Santo Domingo and loved our stay and dinner there. Our host was wonderful. It is near the cathedral.

In 2013 I stayed in San Telmo in Fromista. It's centrally located, though down a side street - so quiet. Nice rear garden with facilities to do hand laundry and hang it out to dry. Clean and comfortable with friendly, helpful staff. I believe they had a small restaurant, though I didn't eat there.

I'm afraid I have bad news for you regarding the Parador in Leon. They are shutting down as of Oct 1st for about 2.5 years... Click here to see a thread from last January about this.

Good luck with the Casa Rurals however... For my money they are more fun and a better experience anyway ;)
Buen Camino.

Thank you for the information! Although I'm super confused. I reserved online with them already AND contacted them separately receiving back certain confirmation. We will be prepared if it doesn't work out! Thanks again.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In September, I stayed at Corazon Puro in Bizkarreta (Viscaretta) in Navarra. The extremely kind host cooked a wonderful pilgrim meal. The accommodation was very clean and comfortable.

IMG_3714.JPG
On my camino 2 years ago, the camino provided with advice and recommendations to stay at El Molino outside Hornillos del Camino (yes, the casa rural from The Way). It was a beautiful place, and my friend and I had the most amazing time meeting Milagros and the rest of the crew as well as some new fellow pilgrims.

This year, I was hoping to have a repeat visit to El Molino but sadly they will be closed for the season (we are not starting till October 11). I was hoping to find some great Casa Rural recommendations here if any of you dear friends have any. We are not trying to live luxuriously on the Camino by any means (though I will be honest we are treating ourselves to Los Paradores in León). We will be staying at donativos and the like because we are in search of "communal" experiences - shared meals, shared stories, shared laughter. That's what El Molino was like for me 2 years ago.

Please let me know if you have any recommendations for anywhere along the route. Buen Camino.

Can I recommend Casa Pepe ? It's off the Camino , at Santa Colombo de Somoza , but the lovely owner , Laura , will pick you up from Rabanal del Camino , or walk from El Ganso . The hotel is divine , Laura a wonderful host and cook . Great for a rest day , as we did . She will drop you back to town , to continue walking

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
A highlight for me this year was staying at Hostal Fuentestrella in Hontanas with hosts Manuel and Svetlana.

Another lovely small Casa Rural early on in the Camino Frances is Txiki Polit, Burguete, Navarra. We happened upon it only because Roncevalles was completely full. It was a fantastic find - lovely couple running it, wood-burning stove in the restaurant, he cooks and she was so welcoming and generous. Only a few rooms above the restaurant but a heavenly spot after the impossibly long trek from St Jean that day!

If in Villafranca del Bierzo you wish a bit of private comfort and/or a very good reasonably priced meal with delicious local wine do stop at the Hostal de la Puerta del Perdon.

Located on the CF as you enter the village opposite the castle it is a VERY comfortable stop especially on a cold early winter night.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back