• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accomodation recommendations!

Baggy

Time of past OR future Camino
Early May 2024
Hi all, following an earlier thread from me on our planned walk from Sarria to Santiago. we are not young 73/69 so have decided to stop at either pensions or hotels or private houses maybe but not bunkhouses! Are there any recommendations or links you can suggest. Probably 7-8 nights but we are flexible. Cheers!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi all, following an earlier thread from me on our planned walk from Sarria to Santiago. we are not young 73/69 so have decided to stop at either pensions or hotels or private houses maybe but not bunkhouses! Are there any recommendations or links you can suggest. Probably 7-8 nights but we are flexible. Cheers!
I highly recommend La Casona del Nene in Arzua and Pension Residencial Platas in O Pedrouzo. I also like Hotel Universal in Santiago--very well priced and close to the Cathedral. I am about your age and was very comfortable there. Also, there are plenty of options in Sarria.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There is now a tag "sarria to santiago" under the title of this thread. Click on it to find some threads focused on that section of the Camino Francés. I would recommend getting one of the popular guidebooks such as Brierley, and/or one of the apps for your phone, and looking at Gronze.com.

Hi, thank you had a look at Gronzo but it’s in a Spanish, I don’t speak it and couldn’t see a translation option?

Hi, thank you had a look at Gronzo but it’s in a Spanish, I don’t speak it and couldn’t see a translation option?
There is no English option for Gronze. But If you look at it in the Chrome or Safari browser, there are translation options. Chrome does it automatically...

But really, the booking.com phone app or website will have almost all the lodging options listed with reviews. Or any of the Camino phone apps, like Wise Pilgrim, or Buen Camino also have a map and links. Those three phone apps are what most people use for lodging.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Open it in Chrome, which will translate. However, place names get translated, which they shouldn't, so it is better to stay with the Spanish version.

Very little Spanish is needed to understand and use the key information on Gronze - distances, names of lodgings, and contact details. It is well worth the effort of translating the short headings, to get started, and it is good practice for visiting Spain!.

I recommend Pension Albergue Don Alvaro in Sarria, Porto Santiago guesthouse in Portomadrin, Casa Carla in Palas del Rei, La Casona de Nene in Arzua and Hotel San Miguel in Santiago de Compostela.
You can use Forwalk webpage. It is a great resource with maps, information about the different stages and a list of accommodation open along the Way. It will tell you how far off the Camino an accommodation is. You can also check reviews and book your accommodation in advance comfortably using this guide https://app.forwalk.org/2/1/en/10/#-8/42.9/8.7/180

Albergues are not "bunkhouses." They are nice communal accommodations, that, yes, have beds, sometimes bunkbeds, in dormitory style rooms. You might find that a mix of hotels, pensions, and casa rurals that also includes several nights in albergues greatly enhances your camino by introducing you to fellow pilgrims. They would not care about your age. I am "elderly" and always ask for a lower bunk bed (cama baja). Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Use Chrome to open and you can translate to English

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
So then, do you recommend we don't make recommendations? 😉
Hmm, a very good friend once recommended his "absolute favourite restaurant" in Spain. The Beloved and I, passing through, ventured a table. We endured an unpleasant evening and poor cookery as far as the main courses which we rejected. We paid for our drinks and left. When I remonstrated my friend replied "Oh, I guess its changed. We went there all the time in the 90's."

I might recommend somewhere of which I had very recent experience - Sento Rambla in Alicante for instance. Even then only if I thought that the person to whom I was making the recommendation shared my taste in small crowded bars selling excellent beer and high quality wine and cooking anything they can on the Plancha... I never recommend my favourite hotels because it's hard enough securing a room as it is without encouraging other people to go there.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
You may be better off then, with an English-speaking app like Wisepilgrim for the Camino Frances, which you can download from Appstore. There is an Android version too. Furthermore, it is an app; you don't need to use a browser (Chrome) or anything for translation. The app works offline, meaning you always have the info you need. No need for wifi.

If you also download the maps section to your phone, they also work offline. Worry-free/wifi-free: Wherever you are, you are always updated and have all info available.

The newest version of the app is always updated automatically to your phone app (via the Internets, as a former President once said...) :cool: With an app like this, you do not need to carry a paperback guide. Save the weight for a couple more knickers and/or socks.

BIG advantages!

I have found it excellent for several Caminos (one app per Camino, but there is an all-inclusive version too if you want to walk different Caminos, although with a few limitations:) ); it has all info I need, like maps, GPS, places to stay, prices, distances, booking help, general info about places, and much more. The price of ca. 5€ is insignificant compared to excellent returned value, IMHO.

Edit: For more info before you buy, read more here: wisepilgrim.com

Last edited:

I use gronze on my iPhone. When a portion of text is selected there is a ‘translate’ option the comes up with the usual ‘cut’ and ‘paste’ options. I presume Android phones have the same feature.
However the info in the accommodation lists is pretty obvious without the need for translation.

Attachments

• IMG_7719.jpeg
    IMG_7719.jpeg
    478 KB · Views: 2
I highly recommend La Casona del Nene in Arzua and Pension Residencial Platas in O Pedrouzo. I also like Hotel Universal in Santiago--very well priced and close to the Cathedral. I am about your age and was very comfortable there. Also, there are plenty of options in Sarria.
Hi there, I just did the Last 100km we stayed at various places. One which was good value for money and they spoke good English was Flor de Loto hotel in Ordes. The room was nice and big had its own bathroom and for the price we couldnt fault it. We also stayed the day before in a flat in Betanzos which was on offer. Cant remember the name but the address was rúa traviesa that was also good value.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back