• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Castilblanco albergue closes for 4 mnths

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Bother. I was due there next Monday. Anybody recommend somewhere else to stay that night? - I didn't much like the look of the hotel just before the entrance to the town, but I don't remember there being a huge amount of choice.

But excellent in the longer term if they're doing it up properly. It was my first experience of an albergue, and not a particularly pleasant experience.

Hi, Alan,

I stayed in alittle rural hotel, cheap for peregrinos 26 euros, and with a good restaurant, Hospederia de la Plata, http://www.hospederiadelaplata.com. I believe that someone told me that the place has closed, however.

My notes also said that Senora Salvadora, Avenida Espana 43, phone, 955-73-4509, rents rooms for around 10 euros.

If you ask in either of the two bar/restaurantes on the left as you come in to town (where the albergue is one the right), you will undoubtedly get some recommendations. There was a pretty big net of "informal" accommodations going when I was there last, and I'm sure that they will pick up the slack with the albergue closing.

Buen camino. Report back! Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I stayed with Senora Salvadora in March of this year and it was perfect. A tiny little lady, speaks no english, but has a very large house in which she rents out 7-8 bedrooms. I paid 10 euros and was delighted to do so (especially after seeing how nasty the albergue was). Avenida Espana is a main road, so as you approach town don't veer to the right as the signs point for the albergue, but veer left. It's quite a ways down the road, and is about a block past the church. Recommended.

I can confirm that in October Hospederia de la Plata was closed. I did stay at the Hotel Castillo Blanco on the way into town and found the accommodation acceptable.

I don't know for sure, but I am wondering whether the decision to install a hospitalero on site has to do with theft problems in the albergue. When I was there last, the hospitalera told me that the little house up on the hill and over to the left of the albergue is home to people of questionable character who have been connected with several thefts in the albergue. Seems to me I've heard other complaints as well.

It's too bad about that Hospedaria de la Plata. It was a very nice little place with decent, mildly "upscale" food. It was family run and had a nice bar/restaurant.

Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. Hey, alipilgrim, are you planning a 2013 Camino? I hear the Levante is quite nice....

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ha ha, and I was one of those complaining about being a lonely only-english-speaker on the VdP this April! I'm not sure about a Camino this year, I've been living in the desert in California and spring is such a lovely time to hike here that it's almost a shame to travel then...

Hi Alan.

I'm posting this in two places in the hope I catch you in the nick of time. Las Lilieras in Castilblanco is great. It's one block off the Camino (near the former museum, now empty) and is 25 euros for a lovely, clean home. http://www.casarurallilieras.com

Hospederia de la Plata had to close due to the economy. :(

Thanks for the update on the albergue, Laurie!

Melanie

P.S. Alan, some people in town are robbing pilgrims by telling them they need to pay for a sello. You do NOT have to do that! It's a scam by a few bad guys.

Thanks Melanie,

Only just got your message so missed out on Las Lillieras. I had been planning to stay at Senora Salvadora's on the C Espana, but she seemed to be closed as well. I ended up at Senora Delphina's excellent casal rural for €20. it's 200-300 yards beyond the albergue up a little street on the right. Very nice beautifully furnished house, well equipped kitchen etc, and a great roof terrace from which I enjoyed sunset over Castilblanco while my washing dried on the line. It's called the Callejon de la Mora http://fizzyexpress.co.uk/view0.php?aun=5100450412 tel 955735016

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
According to the November bulletin of the Spanish Federation the albergue will be inaugurated on Feb. 28th. This albergue will be added to the list of possible placements for hospitaleros voluntarios (HOSVOL). There will be room for 30 pelegrinos.

I found the albergue in its old state quite adequate but it will be nice to have a hospitalero on-site, a rarity along the VdlP.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back