• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CF Changing the starting location?

AkaiTombo

Buen Camino
Time of past OR future Camino
May 17, 2023
Hello camino friends,

I have been checking the weather... and looks like it is going to rain for the next 10 days or more in SJPDP and Roncesvalles. I will arrive in Pamlona and taxi to SJPDP on May 17... the rain over the Penryne concerned me...Second thought is perhaps I should start the walk from Pamlona instead of SJPDP? I'm so torn... any thoughts?

Thanks,

Akai

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have started once in SJPDP. Nothing special, but then I am used to mountains, so nothing new to me. All other times I have started in Pamplona. Easier, cheaper, less hazzle and better, IMHO.
Hello and thank you for your input. Where can I get the credential if I start in Pamlona? I may just do that and go back to SJPDP another time.

Thank you,
Akai

It is completely not set in stone that SJPDP is a "starting point" for the CF. It is just a modern, urban legend, so to speak. Wherever you start is your starting point. Ideally, as in medieval times, it should be your front door.

Furthermore, the first day from SJPDP is by far the hardest day on the whole Camino. Do yourself a favour, and start slowly from Pamplona is MHO.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello and thank you for your input. Where can I get the credential if I start in Pamlona? I may just do that and go back to SJPDP another time.

Thank you,
Akai
When arriving in Pamplona, take a bed in the municipal albergue Jesus y Maria. They sell credentials at 2 Euros. If you stay in another place in Pamplona, go to the municipal in the evening or early morning for your credencial.

Buen Camino!

It is completely not set in stone that SJPDP is a "starting point" for the CF. It is just a modern, urban legend, so to speak. Wherever you start is your starting point.

Furthermore, the first day from SJPDP is by far the hardest day on the whole Camino. Do yourself a favour, and start slowly from Pamplona is MHO.
Thank you again for the advice. Those is my first experience walking solo long distance... starting slowly and sturdy sound perfectly fine to me :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Should also say: If the weather forecast is that bad, you will be walking in rain and fog over the Pyrenees: No much mountain views... but cold and miserable IMHO.
So true. Thank you so so much. I truly appreciated your advice. Now I need to change my hostel as I pretty much prebooked for every night.

So true. Thank you so so much. I truly appreciated your advice. Now I need to change my hostel as I pretty much prebooked for every night.
Wing it. On the Camino, the best plan is to not have a plan. Take it as it comes. Which our dialogue is a good example of. Another example of the freedom you will (eventually) find on your Camino. :)

Edit: As John Lennon said: Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wing it. On the Camino, the best plan is to not have a plan. Take it as it comes. Which our dialogue is a good example of. Another example of the freedom you will (eventually) find on your Camino. :)

Edit: As John Lennon said: Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
😄 sounds like he mentioned me 🐶

Hello camino friends,

I have been checking the weather... and looks like it is going to rain for the next 10 days or more in SJPDP and Roncesvalles. I will arrive in Pamlona and taxi to SJPDP on May 17... the rain over the Penryne concerned me...Second thought is perhaps I should start the walk from Pamlona instead of SJPDP? I'm so torn... any thoughts?

Thanks,

Akai
Hi Akai, I’m going to take a slightly different perspective than expressed above. SJPP and the Pyrenees are most special. Like others, I have spend most of my adult years living in the mountains in the States. And, as accustomed to the hills as I find myself being, my first day on the Napoleon Route was an absolutely tremendous experience and challenge. On a completely clear day, the views this route offers is spectacular. The sense of achievement I felt sitting on the terrace of Casa Sabina in Roncesvalles prepared me for the challenges of the month to come. My second trip to SJPP found me taking the Valcarlos Route on a rather wet and dreary day. Nonetheless, starting my Caminos by crossing the Pyrenees set an amazing tone for the rest of my stages on the CF. Start wherever you like, but the reality of the rain or inclement weather is a reality to deal with along the 500 mile journey to Santiago. I remember walking in heavy rain for five days from Ferrol to Santiago a few springs ago. A great five days they were!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello camino friends,

Thanks,

Akai
If you aren't starting at your front door, any starting point is arbitrary, and the start of the "Camino Frances" strikes me as more arbitrary than most. It seems to me that Ostabat in France and Roncesvalles and Puente la Reina in Spain have at least as good a claim to the "Start of the Camino Frances" title as SJPDP. So, by all means, start wherever you want.

That said, many who start on the French side of the Pyrenees say that crossing the Pyrenees is a special experience. You are likely to come across some rain along the Camino. You may want to consider the precedent of letting it deter you. :) If you are worried about the safety of crossing the Napoleon route in bad whether, you could consider checking with the Pilgrim Office before setting out. I don't think they will hesitate to point you to the alternate, safer route across the Pyrenees, that is used during the winter months if there is a real concern for your safety.

Another alternative might be to start in Roncesvalles instead of Pamplona. Then when you get to the "halfway" marker just before Sahagun, you will really be at the halfway point of your journey,

Or you could start from Pamplona as you are considering. That would be equally valid.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You can start in SJPDP, Roncesvalles, Pamplona - or anywhere else your heart desires. Personally - I think the Pyrenees are amazing and I am so glad I started there. I wouldn't miss it - if at all possible. Should you decide to go to SJPDP - you can check the Pilgrim's office for weather recommendations before heading up the mountain. But if it is going to be very rainy/overcast - you won't see the spectacular views. Personally - I wouldn't let rain prevent me from walking the Pyrenees - as long as it is expected to still be safe to walk. Again - Pilgrim's Office keeps track of weather. Of course - weather can be unpredictable too. If they recommend against walking one day - it will probably be fine to walk the next day - so there is the option of going, checking weather, and if it is not advisable - then wait another day in SJPDP.

Alternately - you could start and take the Valcarlos route.

If you want to "play it safe" - you could always take the bus to Roncesvalles and start there if you would like. Or just start in Pamplona.

Regardless of what you decide - take a good rain jacket or poncho! You might find you are walking in rain for many days.

It seems to me that Ostabat in France and Roncesvalles and Puente la Reina in Spain have at least as good a claim to the "Start of the Camino Frances" title as SJPDP
Strictly speaking, the Camino Frances starts from Puente La Reina, when the via Tolosana join others ways from France.
Between SJPP and Puente La Reina, the way is called Camino Navarro.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The same question has been asked many times even this last month. I for one start off from Pamplona , I even take the number 10 bus to get out of the city and get off at Cizur Menor. That way I walk straight into the countryside. My Camino , my prerogative.;)

I walked the Le Puy way in 2027 and 2018, 3 weeks each time. In 2018 I did not stop at SJPDP, but continued over the Pyrenees to Pamplona—much easier for me to do it while I was strong from the previous 2 weeks. (In May, it was still cold and rainy.)

When I returned in 2019–just carried on from Pamplona to Santiago.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you've already booked a load of accommodation, then it will be a real pain to set it all back up again. Stick with your original plan. A bit of rain wont hurt you if you are prepared!!!

Hello camino friends,

Thanks,

Akai
You could do the Aragones. It is a beautiful camino and quiet and it joins the CF in Puente La Reina.

Start in Pamplona
With rain can come blisters with soggy wet socks
You won’t be seeing much with the fog
Both Ways (ValCarloss and Napoleon) are very hard.
Amazing, yes, in clear weather
Wonderful
There will be other caminos!
The walk out of Pamplona and up to alto perdon is very special

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Akai, I’m going to take a slightly different perspective than expressed above. SJPP and the Pyrenees are most special. Like others, I have spend most of my adult years living in the mountains in the States. And, as accustomed to the hills as I find myself being, my first day on the Napoleon Route was an absolutely tremendous experience and challenge. On a completely clear day, the views this route offers is spectacular. The sense of achievement I felt sitting on the terrace of Casa Sabina in Roncesvalles prepared me for the challenges of the month to come. My second trip to SJPP found me taking the Valcarlos Route on a rather wet and dreary day. Nonetheless, starting my Caminos by crossing the Pyrenees set an amazing tone for the rest of my stages on the CF. Start wherever you like, but the reality of the rain or inclement weather is a reality to deal with along the 500 mile journey to Santiago. I remember walking in heavy rain for five days from Ferrol to Santiago a few springs ago. A great five days they were!
Hi Grousedoctor,
Thank you for sharing. I'm keep telling myself "the camino will provide..." this is my first walk and I'm sure I will be back again... how many times did you walk the camino? I'm so motivated.

Thanks again and buen Camino :)

Start in Pamplona
With rain can come blisters with soggy wet socks
You won’t be seeing much with the fog
Both Ways (ValCarloss and Napoleon) are very hard.
Amazing, yes, in clear weather
Wonderful
There will be other caminos!
The walk out of Pamplona and up to alto perdon is very special
Thank you so much. I have few more days to decide. Buen Camino 🚶🏽‍♀️

Depends on how much pain you can endure. By that I mean trekking in rain is not fun. if you are doing the Camino for some reason and only see it as being authentic if you walk the entire way from SJPDP, then that is what you must do. But alternatives exist.

Somport to Pamplona or Puente la Reina is one possibility. Bayonne to Pamplona if you want something different but authentic and don't mind a bit of travelling. I probably wouldn't consider the Lourdes via Gavarnie route, but if it was a religious pilgrimage, the possibility exists for that, but you are adding more days on to your Camino. If you want something different and probably much better weather, train to Madrid and walk the Camino from there via Segovia.

In short it's your Camino. We can offer you possibilities, but you make the choices. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Some suggested the Aragones.

It's a lovely route, but the Aragones starts at even higher elevation than the Francés, so I wouldn't be sure that the weather is better there than starting from St. Jean.

On the Francés there's more infrastructure, so even in bad weather it is easier in my opinion, because you can get out of the cold for a hot coffee more often, and can walk shorter stages to not be in the rain all day.

So if weather is a concern, it probably makes more sense to start in Pamplona (or Puente La Reina, or...) at lower altitude.

Personally I'd just walk via Valcarlos with an overnight stop in the albergue there if the weather is really bad. It's a nice walk and because it's in a valley, more sheltered from bad weather than up on the route Napoleon. With the little creeks along that route I imagine in spring it would be quite nice in the rain, with water running wild and everything around green :).

Weather in the mountains is unpredicatable, and even if the report for the next two weeks is bad now, it might be different the day you arrive, or the other way around.

Whatever you decide,

Buen Camino!

Depends on how much pain you can endure. By that I mean trekking in rain is not fun. if you are doing the Camino for some reason and only see it as being authentic if you walk the entire way from SJPDP, then that is what you must do. But alternatives exist.

Somport to Pamplona or Puente la Reina is one possibility. Bayonne to Pamplona if you want something different but authentic and don't mind a bit of travelling. I probably wouldn't consider the Lourdes via Gavarnie route, but if it was a religious pilgrimage, the possibility exists for that, but you are adding more days on to your Camino. If you want something different and probably much better weather, train to Madrid and walk the Camino from there via Segovia.

In short it's your Camino. We can offer you possibilities, but you make the choices. :)
Hello,

I appreciated you and everyone advices and suggestions. I'm doing the walk not for a religious reason. I'm actually buddish. I walk to see beautiful and historical villages, as well as the nature along the way. I'm motivated by many. One of my friends could make it at the last minute. So I will go solo.

The weather seems improved in middle of the week. I probably will stick with my original plan.

Thank you again and buen Camino 🚶🏽‍♀️

Some suggested the Aragones.

It's a lovely route, but the Aragones starts at even higher elevation than the Francés, so I wouldn't be sure that the weather is better there than starting from St. Jean.

On the Francés there's more infrastructure, so even in bad weather it is easier in my opinion, because you can get out of the cold for a hot coffee more often, and can walk shorter stages to not be in the rain all day.

So if weather is a concern, it probably makes more sense to start in Pamplona (or Puente La Reina, or...) at lower altitude.

Personally I'd just walk via Valcarlos with an overnight stop in the albergue there if the weather is really bad. It's a nice walk and because it's in a valley, more sheltered from bad weather than up on the route Napoleon. With the little creeks along that route I imagine in spring it would be quite nice in the rain, with water running wild and everything around green :).

Weather in the mountains is unpredicatable, and even if the report for the next two weeks is bad now, it might be different the day you arrive, or the other way around.

Whatever you decide,

Buen Camino!
Thank you for you advice 🙏🏼

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back