• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Charging electronic devices...

Time of past OR future Camino
See signature.
This may seem like a no brainer, but for Americans, there are considerations...

1) They don't use the same plugs in Spain. They don't even use the same voltage (220 v. 110)
2) The beautiful thing about your standard home charger, even with US style plugs, is that they typically handle the difference in voltage well. Just double check by looking at the back of the charger, wearing your reading glasses (well, sadly, I have to).
3) The not so beautiful thing about your American style charger is you will need to get a plug adapter. Since most chargers accept multiple voltage levels, the adapter can be simple. The ones at the airport suck because they are HUGE (and relatively expensive)! The cheap little ones on Amazon work just as well... but...
4) When using a 2 piece solution (standard US charger + Euro plug adapter) you run the risk of leaving in the morning, having pulled out your charger, only to leave your little adapter in the plug. This has happened to me like 5 times maybe, I know, I am a slow learner. (On the bright side, every once in a while, settling into a bunk, I've found a little adapter still plugged in! I figure its like a pay it forward thing)
5) A preferred method: go ahead and get a European style multiple port charger. Doesn't require an adapter. Works perfect. 1 piece. I like the multiple ports, because, well, I have multiple devices.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When using a 2 piece solution (standard US charger + Euro plug adapter) you run the risk of leaving in the morning, having pulled out your charger, only to leave your little adapter in the plug. This has happened to me like 5 times maybe, I know, I am a slow learner. (
I use a dual USB European charger, but the easy solution to leaving an adapter behind is to tape it to the charger. Yes, I have left an adapter behind in an outlet!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My own preference is for a slightly bulkier travel adaptor with four USB ports. The latest versions now have a USB-C port for fast charging and three standard USB ports. This makes sense for me because I usually end my camino by visiting family in the UK, where there is a completely different pin/socket profile,

Recently I used a power supply with a European (CEE7) plug, but only because I was returning to stay in Portugal. The one I used had two USB ports, a standard port and a USB-C port, but there are some with four ports available online.*

I would also say that quality matters, and costs. Some of this has to do with electrical safety, some with the 'clean-ness' of the power delivery and its conformance to the USB standards, and some to do with just plain materials quality. Looking for the European compliance C is a start, alongside any markings used by your own national standards authorities. If you have a concern about any of those being counterfeited, there are web-sites that can help you identify fake markings.

* or even five ports, like this one.

Last edited:
My own preference is for a slightly bulkier travel adaptor with four USB ports. The latest versions now have a USB-C port for fast charging and three standard USB ports. This makes sense for me because I usually end my camino by visiting family in the UK, where there is a completely different pin/socket profile,

Recently I used a power supply with a European (CEE7) plug, but only because I was returning to stay in Portugal. The one I used had two USB ports, a standard port and a USB-C port, but there are some with four ports available online.*

I would also say that quality matters, and costs. Some of this has to do with electrical safety, some with the 'clean-ness' of the power delivery and its conformance to the USB standards, and some to do with just plain materials quality. Looking for the European compliance C is a start, alongside any markings used by your own national standards authorities. If you have a concern about any of those being counterfeited, there are web-sites that can help you identify fake markings.

Yah, like I said, I found that one in 20 seconds. But... those ones work, at least better than ones purchased at the china shops. Those work too, btw, just have some glue in year 3. In my experience.

I use a dual USB European charger, but the easy solution to leaving an adapter behind is to tape it to the charger. Yes, I have left an adapter behind in an outlet!
I too, have left the adapter in the outlet, and now use the taping method before I leave home.
Really? I personally, don't typically to stores anymore.

That took me like 20 seconds.
Yep, easy peasy! 🙂

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I too, make sure I buy chargers that are good for worldwide voltage: 110-240 VAC, 50/60 Hz. Then I only need to worry about the plug adapter so the charger fits the wall.

I do use the tape trick. Years ago, I found some small rolls of 1 cm / 1/4" electrical tape in a DIY store that came in a multi-color combo pack. I use a bright color for this task. In a pinch, torn down duck tape also works. I have even used a plaster - band aid for this. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Also, I obtain my US > EU adaptors on Amazon, in bulk. They are typically about USD 1.25 each when bought - say 8-10 in a package. I always use one plug pin adapter and carry one spare. This I either use, or give to another pilgrim who needs it. Good way to make a friend.

I also have a 1 to 3 Schuko plug splitter, so three people or three separate devices can share one outlet. THAT is a fast way to make friends. You can obtain them in most any EU DIY store or in any ferreteria or China store in Spain.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

1) They don't use the same plugs in Spain. They don't even use the same voltage (220 v. 110)
2) The beautiful thing about your standard home charger, even with US style plugs, is that they typically handle the difference in voltage well. Just double check by looking at the back of the charger, wearing your reading glasses (well, sadly, I have to).
3) The not so beautiful thing about your American style charger is you will need to get a plug adapter. Since most chargers accept multiple voltage levels, the adapter can be simple. The ones at the airport suck because they are HUGE (and relatively expensive)! The cheap little ones on Amazon work just as well... but...
4) When using a 2 piece solution (standard US charger + Euro plug adapter) you run the risk of leaving in the morning, having pulled out your charger, only to leave your little adapter in the plug. This has happened to me like 5 times maybe, I know, I am a slow learner. (On the bright side, every once in a while, settling into a bunk, I've found a little adapter still plugged in! I figure its like a pay it forward thing)
5) A preferred method: go ahead and get a European style multiple port charger. Doesn't require an adapter. Works perfect. 1 piece. I like the multiple ports, because, well, I have multiple devices.
“Pay it forward 😂😂😂👌

If you are in trouble because you left your small adapter in a socket at your last albergue, check at the front desk of your next stop. They'll have a drawer full of them.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I definitely prefer multi-port chargers for those albergues that don't have an outlet for every bed where outlets need to be shared between pilgrims.

I spent most of lockdown with an electronic scale eliminating or reducing weight from my Camino packing list; although I still carry a ‘civilian’ outfit for pre and post Camino.

The exception I made was for ensuring my phone has every opportunity to function 24/7.

I carry a fairly chunky ‘powerbank’ (20,000 whatevertheyares) and a tiny one (enough for one phone charge). Although my phone will go easily a day without charge, it does allow me to leave something inexpensive on charge unattended.

I have three USB to lightning cables, one about 12 feet long, and two of 6 inches and (because my powerbank has a micro USB socket) a couple of tiny ‘lightning to micro usb’ adapters.

I have two plug-in chargers, euro 2-pin, each with two USB outlets.

I definitely prefer multi-port chargers for those albergues that don't have an outlet for every bed where outlets need to be shared between pilgrims.
Ok, to that point. Have you ever unplugged a single port charger left unattended with a phone attached, then plugged in your multiport, then plugged their phone into your charger along with your own? I have, once (i was desperate) but I felt really uncomfortable doing it. I put their charger under their phone. Is this considered poor etiquette? The person ended up being cool with it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ok, to that point. Have you ever unplugged a single port charger left unattended with a phone attached, then plugged in your multiport, then plugged their phone into your charger along with your own? I have, once (i was desperate) but I felt really uncomfortable doing it. I put their charger under their phone. Is this considered poor etiquette? The person ended up being cool with it.
I'm not sure if I have, but I have shared my charger with fellow pilgrims.

Have you ever unplugged a single port charger left unattended with a phone attached, then plugged in your multiport, then plugged their phone into your charger along with your own? I have, once (i was desperate) but I felt really uncomfortable doing it. I put their charger under their phone. Is this considered poor etiquette?
If the phone were attended, I would ask, but if unattended, I think it is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Hi Doug
I’m rather lost in the explanations .
I’m trying to ensure I’m carrying safe plugs with me but also want to be able to charge quickly if needed and keep weight down.
I’ve got a few pics below. Would you be kind enough to let me know whether you think they are the right type.

The light one (single USB port ) with euro plug / I’ve used before. I don’t remember if it was fast though. It weighs 27 g

The heavier clunky type / I purchased yesterday locally from JB hi fi . It weighs 111 g - My connections fit the 2 top ports. I’m not sure if they are the A’s or the C’s 🤪

I saw the pic you included in your post with 4 ports. It looks much less clunky.

My thoughts 🤔. Should I take the light ., or the new clunky - or get one in Madrid on day I arrive. I’ll be staying overnight . I thought ones purchased in Madrid might be less clunky (like your pic ).

Ps. I’ll have a small power bank x 1.2 to charge., as well as IPhone 13 and Fitbit

The Fitbit is pretty new and can go 4-5 days without needing a charge

I’d really appreciate your opinion Doug.
Annie

Attachments

• IMG_6267.jpeg
    IMG_6267.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6263.jpeg
    IMG_6263.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6264.jpeg
    IMG_6264.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
Hi Doug
I’m rather lost in the explanations .
I’m trying to ensure I’m carrying safe plugs with me but also want to be able to charge quickly if needed and keep weight down.
I’ve got a few pics below. Would you be kind enough to let me know whether you think they are the right type.

The light one (single USB port ) with euro plug / I’ve used before. I don’t remember if it was fast though. It weighs 27 g

The heavier clunky type / I purchased yesterday locally from JB hi fi . It weighs 111 g - My connections fit the 2 top ports. I’m not sure if they are the A’s or the C’s 🤪

I saw the pic you included in your post with 4 ports. It looks much less clunky.

My thoughts 🤔. Should I take the light ., or the new clunky - or get one in Madrid on day I arrive. I’ll be staying overnight . I thought ones purchased in Madrid might be less clunky (like your pic ).

Ps. I’ll have a small power bank x 1.2 to charge., as well as IPhone 13 and Fitbit

The Fitbit is pretty new and can go 4-5 days without needing a charge

I’d really appreciate your opinion Doug.
Annie
@OzAnnie
Provided you don't need to charge more than one device at a time, the smaller charger will suffice. It sounds like you have two devices, but it should be possible to sequence the charging they require. My experience with fitness trackers is that they don't require all that long to recharge from empty, and you would then be able to swap it for your phone. That said, if you cannot sequence the phone and powerbank charging, and need to charge them at the same time, having more than one USB port would be essential.

You could do this through a small USB hub using the smaller charger. I have a couple of these ranging in weight from 20 g to 35 g, which might reduce the overall weight a little if that is your main concern. I'm not sure how beneficial that is compared to just using the larger travel adaptor.

What I cannot see from the photos for either device is whether they have EU compliance marks, the CE symbol, that would indicate they comply with EU electrical safely requirements. The claim on one that it is designed and tested for Australia isn't necessarily helpful when it won't be used there.

Thanks Doug

either device is whether they have EU compliance marks, the CE symbol,
yes - the smaller one with the single USB port...has the CE symbol. I bought that in Madrid some years ago and have used it before. / I can't see the symbol on the clunky Ozzie one.

which might reduce the overall weight a little if that is your main concern
yes- spot on, re reducing weight if I can. (I'm treading carefully with pack for first time since shoulder dislocation last November )... though I am prepared to have pack transported if necessary., I would rather carry my pack., so this will be my lightest pack so far.
I think you've cleared my thinking. I'll take the 'single USB' small 'Euro' wall plug this time.

€46,-
I’ve found the easiest solution is to buy a Euro style plug that only has two usb ports. No taping, cheap, can share a usb port.

View attachment 156201
I am buying these for my husband for Christmas- he carries not only adapter, but power conversion pack- very, very heavy. These will be perfect as he has to lighten his pack for future caminos (at least for the time being) due to a shoulder replacement. Now, I just have to convince him that these will work just fine. 🥾 :)

I am buying these for my husband for Christmas- he carries not only adapter, but power conversion pack- very, very heavy. These will be perfect as he has to lighten his pack for future caminos (at least for the time being) due to a shoulder replacement. Now, I just have to convince him that these will work just fine. 🥾 :)
Just let him know that Europeans charge their phones just fine 😂. And to further ease his mind if his main concern is the 110 vs 220 power thing is that euro adapters are designed for it so they’re safe and light!

For those looking for high power and lighter weight look for GaN adapters. They allow for higher wattage in a smaller package. I have a 65 watt one with 3 ports that’s around the same size as a 20 watt traditional one

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am curious. What devices is he carrying that need a 110 V supply? I can imagine that there are many electrical devices that might, but none that I would contemplate carrying on the camino.

I am curious. What devices is he carrying that need a 110 V supply? I can imagine that there are many electrical devices that might, but none that I would contemplate carrying on the camino.
My assumption was that his concern was regarding the normal mobile devices 🤔. Now I’m curious as well.

Just let him know that Europeans charge their phones just fine 😂. And to further ease his mind if his main concern is the 110 vs 220 power thing is that euro adapters are designed for it so they’re safe and light!
He does not carry a phone- he brings a tablet and insists that it charges faster with the converter. He also carries a battery just in case. I now have to convince him to give the adapters a try.

€46,-
On a different note: I'm always apprehensive, leaving my phone plugged into a communal socket, unattended. Nobody lost the phone this way?

He does not carry a phone- he brings a tablet and insists that it charges faster with the converter. He also carries a battery just in case. I now have to convince him to give the adapters a try.
Some chargers using older USB standards would have only had about 500mA outputs, much less than would be required to charge a tablet in a reasonable time. Chargers I have with just USB-A outputs can deliver up to 2.4A from one port, and a total of 3.5A over the four - more than enough for a tablet. The one I have with a USB-C standard port, can deliver up to 20W if required, but up to 15W or 3A charging at 5V, the typical charging voltage for phones and tablets. I suspect that these more modern devices will do be more than adequate for charging a tablet quite quickly, even faster if it supports fast charging using a USB-C port.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
On a different note: I'm always apprehensive, leaving my phone plugged into a communal socket, unattended. Nobody lost the phone this way?
Of course! The standard advice is NOT to leave a valuable device unattended. Ever. You might leave a less expensive battery/power bank charging unattended, and use it later to charge your phone.

Some chargers using older USB standards would have only had about 500mA outputs, much less than would be required to charge a tablet in a reasonable time. Chargers I have with just USB-A outputs can deliver up to 2.4A from one port, and a total of 3.5A over the four - more than enough for a tablet. The one I have with a USB-C standard port, can deliver up to 20W if required, but up to 15W or 3A charging at 5V, the typical charging voltage for phones and tablets. I suspect that these more modern devices will do be more than adequate for charging a tablet quite quickly, even faster if it supports fast charging using a USB-C port.
This is a very good point. If you use an old charger you’ve had for years it may not be up to the task. It’s one reason I upgraded to my uGreen 65w GaN charger. It has the juice to push multiple ports.

He has grudgingly agreed to leave the converter home on our next trip!! 🥾 :)💻

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I never leave my phone unattended. It's definitely a risk. I bring a ten foot charging cord which is usually long enough to reach my bunk in an albergue. On the couple of occasions that it didn't I charged up my small power bank and used that to charge my phone.

This is a very good point. If you use an old charger you’ve had for years it may not be up to the task. It’s one reason I upgraded to my uGreen 65w GaN charger. It has the juice to push multiple ports.
He told me today that he is changing his entire approach to traveling: no converter, one extra pair of pants, two unders, two pairs of socks, and two shirts. I will believe it when I see it- ie- large battery to charge my phone or his tablet just in case. FYI- this is still progress as he usually has to have Plan A-Z when we travel. This will give me a remarkable lightness to travel with less. Even here at home our car always seems to have more when we travel than when our sons were small. Looking forward to lighter travel!

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.