• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Children's Underwear

islandfever

Aloha!

I am a first time poster from Maui, have booked our trip, starting from SJPP on August 31st and allowing until October 15th, 2012. We are 2 adults, 52 years old, and one 9 year old boy, so we are only planning on doing 10-12 miles per day. I have been trying to pack as light as possible, since just my husband and I will be carrying packs. I am a huge believer in microfiber for our clothes and am trying to purchase everything in advance since I have to buy most of it online (we have one Sports Authority here on Maui, not much else). I have found microfiber underwear for my husband online (although I don't want to spend $20 a pair, eek) but can't even find microfiber underwear for my son. Does such a thing exist? What do parents with children usually do? I refuse to bring cotton underwear and have it hanging out to dry on my pack all day. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Lynette

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My thoughts exactly Vagabondette. Surely a small pack with water,snacks (maybe lunch as well), rain gear/poncho and a few personal items wouldn't be too heavy. Perhaps you could throw in 1extra changes of clothes.
Tony

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
islandfever said:
I refuse to bring cotton underwear and have it hanging out to dry on my pack all day. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Lynette
Got these 'Terramar Body Sensor' brand from Sierra Trading Post.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~terr ... perPage=24

They are stunningly good, reasonably priced, very lightweight, breathable, dry in no time.
I got both boxers and briefs. Terramar Helix T-Shirt are good, light and cheap also.
One thing tho....they are not microfibre! Polyester with a little Spandex.
If you decide to try some register an account. You will get a discount voucher immediately. They also have 30-40-50% sales off regularly so wait for those if you can.
I've bought a lot from this firm, and have always been satisfied.

Gerard

the only thing I ever had to dry on the outside of my pack was socks. Undervear, tops and trousers was always dry or at least dry enough to pack/wear in the morning.

I bring 2 very sturdy cotton bras when walking (not running bras, just plain cotton t-shirt bras) and it has never been an issue.

I do realise that cotton is a hate word in here but bring 3 pairs of cotton undies and you will be fine...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks Lynette for the ebay link. I've never heard of the Knocker brand before, I wonder where they are from? I may have to resort to those. My son has never worn boxers, just briefs. Not being male, I don't know if that is no big deal or if it will bother him.

After talking it over repeatedly, my husband and I decided it was better to err on the side of caution and not make our son carry a pack. As it is, I envision a few moments where he doesn't want to walk any further, and adding a pack to the mix will just make the walk that much harder for him. And I'd much rather carry some of his stuff than end up trying to carry his backpack too if he just can't (or won't) do it any more. Funny, I thought I'd hear that I expecting too much from him and shouldn't be taking him on the Camino, rather than hearing that he should carry his own weight :)

Thanks Pieces for the positive feedback on cotton. I know that cotton takes forever here to dry because of the humidity, maybe I'm worrying too much about the underwear.

You might benefit from reading the posts by kiwi-family. They're a group of 11 ranging from age 6-80. Their prep, particularly what they're planning with the kids, might be helpful for you when prepping your son for the camino. If you start him training now he'll be used to a pack and there's really no reason why he can't carry at least some of his own gear like food/water/etc. Surely you don't want to give him a 7 kg pack but unless he has a physical impairment of some sort there's no reason why he couldn't carry some weight and giving him the responsibility for his stuff would probably be good for him. Personally I've done alpine hikes with kids as young as 6 where they carried their own gear for 15-20 kms with no problems. Whatever you do though, I'm sure you guys will have a great time. Good luck!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.