• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances with kids

saul

Time of past OR future Camino
Next camino start 24 may to 30 may from Bilbao
Hello, anyone who did Camino Frances, is there any suitable road , path with stroller, pushchair ,( wheels of road), my child 7 years old. Thank you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I met an american family of four (one kid in all-terrain-stroller, one kid on a pushbike) on the CF on my 6th or 7th day.
They all had fun, despite the fact that the constant pushing and keeping the little guy on the pushbike entertained is really hard. They wanted to reach Burgos and take a bus to Sarria to walk to SdC.

It is possible. The supplies were loaded in the stroller and they only had daypacks on their back (even the kid on bike).

Have fun!

If you have FB, there is a group called Camino kids.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first time we walked part of the Camino (Astorga to Santiago) with our eight kids, the youngest was six. We did a lot of hiking at home so she was used to walking. I would prefer to have a seven year old walk and do shorter distances than to push them in a stroller. Would you consider that?

We saw a young lady walking with an all terrain stroller with a teething toddler in. The descent into Zubiri would have been impossible without help. She carried the child while my husband got the buggy over faller trees and other obstacles. Every time we saw her the baby was crying. I don't know if she made it. It looked totally miserable for them both. Last seen heading towards Pamplona.

I guess it depends which camino you choose, your child's temperament, the weather and the terrain.

This thread now has the tag "children" under the title at the top. If you click on the tag, you will get all the threads that have the same tag - there are many threads about walking with children.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I saw families with kids on my CF
A German couple whom I started with in SJPdP - their daughter Carlotta was 3 months old (they had a stroller that either had her in it or some of their possessions if one parent carried her)
An American couple from KY - 2 kids a son Everest 3 yo and daughter Artemis (6 months) - yes also a large stroller (and I saw them climbing La Faba to O'Cebreiro!)
A Spanish Lady (technically on my way to Finisterre) with 2 boys roughly 10 & 7 or so. I thought it was amusing that she kept on urging them in rather loud voice - ULTREIA!!!
So.... its doable... and whether the kid can walk a day or 2 or 3.... all depends on the kid. I LOVED hiking in my youth pre-and teen years.... but some not so much. So hence the difference
You know your kids - hopefully they will embrace the adventure
Good luck and Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
None worthwhile , don’t bring kids who can walk a day, neither you or them will be happy
With all Respect Due - I saw a LOT MORE "30+ yo kids" during my 5 weeks that threw 1-yo tantrums and\or complained and whined about "this-n-that" :eek:

And I will be FOREVER GRATEFUL to my parents who dragged me anywhere they chose be it 1 block or 10km 😍

What we don't know, but OP does:

How much of the Frances is OP planning to do? How many days?

Has OP taken OP's children on any long walk at all? Is it just the 7 year old, or a family group with multiple children?

Why would OP's 7 year old need a stroller? And does OP already have one?

The Frances may be suitable in many parts for a rugged stroller ( not a flimsy umbrella good only for asphalt), but pushing a 7 year old over rocks, across those wooden log bridges i remember between Portomarin and Palas de Rei, and up and down gravel paths, even around Portomarin and Arzua, would give me pause.

The Camino can be friendly and welcoming and life changing...but it's not a theme park.

I hope OP already knows the answers to the questions above.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I saw a French family of 5 kids on the CF. Each parent was pushing a kid in an off-road stroller and the other three kids were walking on their own. They were all singing songs. It was on one of my worst days of the Meseta but I cheered up when I saw this family as the kids gave me candy. They even carried a huge French flag on a tall post attached to one of the strollers. I always thought of this family as a struggled- if they can do it, so can I!

None worthwhile , don’t bring kids who can walk a day, neither you or them will be happy
That doesn't seem to have been the experience of the families with children I have met walking the Camino. Of course, your experience with your own kids may be different and you may have met different families.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back