Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Choir group on the Camino

stuartd

I'm a choir director and would like to take a choir group on the Camino, singing in the villages along the way.
1. Has anyone done this or seen this before ?
2. How difficult will it be to find accomodation for, say, 20 people each night ?
3. I can only get a group together for 2 weeks - is this possible, and can anyone suggest an ideal route and starting place ?
Stuart (Australia)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have seen some groups...but not 20. :shock: Accommodation in albergues would be very, very much a problem. The time of year is, of course, a major factor.
Many albergues do not have a total of 20 beds so it would have to be empty when you get there.
It is possible to book ahead with many private albergues so this may be a possibility.
It could be very tough on others that are walking individually if they get there behind a big group and all is full.
A great idea..but maybe too large a group to be practical. Others may have other opinions.

Hi Stuart!

I certainly didn't come across a choir on my Camino but it sounds like a great idea! Other pilgrims will love it!

Grayland is right about the albergues, but where there's a will there's a way.

Your route will depend how long you will have to walk allowing for your travel time and how much time you plan to spend singing as opposed to walking. Also how much you're prepared to compromise on the typical pilgrim experience. You could, for example, book one or two hostals along your chosen route that are able to accommodate you for a few nights each and get picked up and dropped off again by taxi/bus each day when necessary.

Good luck with your planning, and Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Stuart,
I think this is a wonderful idea, wish I was with you, so far, going to be singing on my own while walking, just taking a few sheets of words .........

Good Luck with the accomodation, guess 'one' doesn't have to stay in the same place together each night.

Let us know how this pans out so others maybe able to do the same.

David

Yes,Stuart
I remember a German Choir in 2007 singing beautifully in the Church of Santiago in Vilafranca del Bierzo. They sounded like angels and gathered a crowd. Don't think there were 20 though and they sometimes sang while walking. Sorry don't know where they slept.
My choir in Perth has 50 members so unfortunately couldn't go. I love to sing while walking.
good luck
Heather

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like if I do my research and we're prepared to be flexible about where we stay then it could work out. Looking at a possible start in Astorga. Looking at March or April 2014. If anyone has any other input please do.
Stuart

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I had the immense privilege to walk the Camino in 2010 while a french choir were walking, they would stop and sing each day, and it never failed to bring me to tears, accapella singing on the Camino, I don't think it gets any better! I am in Oz, if you want to ask any questions e-mail me lmac3366@yahoo.com.au, am happy to share anything from my experience with you.

If your group sings sacred music you can make arrangements with one or two dioceses along the Way to sing at their churches as you go, in exchange for accommodations in the parishioners´homes. It is not always convenient, you may have to accept rides here and there and perform when you don´t feel like it, but you get to see parts of the Way that no ordinary pilgrim would see or experience! Every diocese has an arts and culture guy -- I know the one in Palencia, as he co-sponsors our guitar concert series. Get on the web and do some digging, and prepare to shmooze your heart out! The Astorga diocese is super pilgrim-friendly, they would be a great place to begin, I think.

Good luck!
Rebekah

Rebekah Scott said:
If your group sings sacred music you can make arrangements with one or two dioceses along the Way to sing at their churches as you go, in exchange for accommodations in the parishioners´homes. It is not always convenient, you may have to accept rides here and there and perform when you don´t feel like it, but you get to see parts of the Way that no ordinary pilgrim would see or experience! Every diocese has an arts and culture guy -- I know the one in Palencia, as he co-sponsors our guitar concert series. Get on the web and do some digging, and prepare to shmooze your heart out! The Astorga diocese is super pilgrim-friendly, they would be a great place to begin, I think.

Good luck!
Rebekah

:lol: :lol:
We arrive in Astorga on 2nd of April @ 0420(from the Madrid bus), do you think they would love an early dawn chorus of 2!, we'll be leaving town straight away beginning our 2 week Camino..........
Love the idea of singing for your supper, we are sadly not in that league :roll:

Probably will sing:
'My old man's a dustman', as we start picking up rubbish too each morn, got to have a laugh about this serious matter.....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm a choir director and would like to take a choir group on the Camino, singing in the villages along the way.
2. How difficult will it be to find accomodation for, say, 20 people each night ?
3. I can only get a group together for 2 weeks - is this possible, and can anyone suggest an ideal route and starting place ?
Stuart (Australia)
I am a choral singer/ backpacker who would love to walk the Camino and sing along the way. Are you still getting a group together, Stuart, or is anyone else? What could be a better way to do the Camino?

hello stuart,

have you thought about contacting the local diocese or the local priests to see whether they can put your group up sleeping in the church or the local recreation hall. you will be starting in astorga on march/april. i work as a volunteer hospitalero in a saint james foundation for pilgrim hostel with 110 beds in santiago 25 minutes from the cathedral. do get in touch with us if you are unable to find a place to accommodate 20 pilgrims.

buen camino.

Hi Stuart, how is your preparation going? Any news? SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Stuartd

Choir singing is a big thing here in Euskal Herria/ The Basque Country. Well singing in general, groups of people tend to even sing while having some wines in the evening. Perhaps you could also check it out.

You have the Camino del Norte, visit Donostia/ San Sebastian also Bilbo. The food is great. Nature here is awesome. And people would appreciate your group singing.:)

Buen Camino!

Just an observation - the original post was made in Feb last year and Stuart has only made 2 posts. I suspect he has already been on the Camino.

There is nothing stopping anyone from singing on their Camino. I know I do at almost every church that is open. Singing in this way is wonderfully energising.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Stuart (Australia)

What a wonderful thing to do, I'd love to do that but if you're doing the Camino Frances you'd be hard pressed to get accommodation together every night. I recently did the Le Puy route and Oporto to Santiago, both of these Camino's were much quieter and maybe a better choice if you want to stay together. Going to a local meeting would provide good conversation for your trip. The Sydney group is terrific.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Stuart (Australia)
Hi Stuart. What a wonderful idea. I sing accapella with the Christchurch City Chorus and can't imagine anything more lovely than to sing along the way. (I'll be singing to myself, but somehow not quite the same!!). Good luck with your plans ... I'm walking in September/October so will miss you .... but hope it all works out for you. Cheers, Trish.

Would love to do this! I sing in St. Michael's Singers at Coventry Cathedral.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

Most read last week in this forum

Round the corner and up the hill from the Pilgrims Office in Santiago, about 50m away, is the Faculty of Medicine's huge cafeteria that must be able to seat between 200 and 300 people. They have a...
Well sorry for the long absence! I dropped offline and into Camino life and can't wait to go back (but unfortunately it won't be soon)! I won't say the Camino was an easy experience for me, or...
Hi all. I will be walking the Camino Frances in September ( I started in Le Puy in 2022 and will “finish” this year!) and hope to stay at the ALBERGUE Peregrinos Ribadiso around September 21. I’m...
Hi all. I’m sitting in the sun on this spectacular day in the Pyrenees at the statue of Mary and Jesus. A glorious day. Thank you to all the weather Gods. Perhaps June / July are the best walking...
If you take the route to Ventosa after Navarette there is a brand new bar/cafe I highly recommend. They've been open 4 days as of today June 12 . A local bee keeper started it and it is great...
Just got to Rabanal. Started May 20. It is not crowded. No traffic jams or conga lines. But I’m not here to argue about “crowd” hysteria—I’ve done that enough over the last few years and likely...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back