• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Chove en Santiago (it rains in Santiago)

Camembert

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Initially this You Tube link below has nothing to do with the camino de Santiago but it is a lovely song about Santiago de Compostela, called "chove en Santiago"
Special is that the song is performed by a Dutch music group , called Klezbez and the other day I joined this group as a double bass player. Somebody of the audience in a beautiful 17th century church not far from the city of Rotterdam, recorded the concert held 2 weeks ago , being Yiddish music, tango music, and world music like this song.. I edited the video ,added some pics of Santiago, I took myself after our caminho Português in 2013 and maybe you'll like it.

The accordeon player of the group used to be a professional player and toured around the world during the nineties of the past century with a fairly well known and still existing Dutch group called Flairck (enter the name in YouTube and you can see and hear many virtuous songs played by them).
One song from Flairck ,recorded in Santiago the Chile in 1995, I specially like to present to you and you will understand I am very proud to get the opportunity to play together with these excellent and virtuous musicians.

Enjoy...

Hope it will not rain in Santiago when you will be there next time.
My wife and I will be back on the camino within 40 days. May rain or shine :)

Buen camino
Albertinho

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For an ignoramus like me, why " Chove "? Is it Galician?
I thought that the spanish word would be Lluve.
Madrid 12, I went to SDC in 2011,beatiful sunshine and 2012 ,four days of rain.
Happens all the time.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Happens all the time.

Hi, bernhugo, No you´re not an ignoramus, you just don´t speak galego. In Castilian, it would be "Llueve en Santiago." I´ve been to Santiago a ton of times and walked in Galicia often and I still have trouble picking out more than a few words when people speak in galego. But I think it´s a beautiful language.

Thanks for posting, Albertinho. Buen camino, Laurie

Happens all the time.
Chovar in Portugese and Galego is "to rain "
The Spanish "ll " is subtituted by the "ch" in Portugese anyway. Not sure this is allways like that in Galego. Lluver. . Chover

Llegar (Es) is chegar in Portugese. Llamar is chamar. Etc..

Very handy to know these kind of things if you have learned castillano and want to learn portugese like I do at this moment..
Mujer. Mulher. Fuego fogo. Juego. Jogo. Etc etc. Lot of grammatic rules are about the same. Interesting !

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That's why the song is called "chove en Santiago ":)
What about Hubert von Goisern?
Although this isn't really his best accordeon piece;

And now for something completely Slovenian - Marko Hatlak:
-
- classic:
- with Stefan Milenkovic - Tango:

Another one:
-

;)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The Spanish "ll " is subtituted by the "ch" in Portugese anyway. Not sure this is allways like that in Galego.

Spanish "ll" isn't always subtituted by "ch" in Galician. Yourself quoted an example:

Galician: Galego
Spanish: Gallego

P.S.: "ll" is used many times in Galician to substitute Spanish "j". For example:

Spanish: Mujer
Galician: Muller

What about Hubert von Goisern?
Although this isn't really his best accordeon piece;

And now for something completely Slovenian - Marko Hatlak:
-
- classic:
- with Stefan Milenkovic - Tango:

Another one:
-

;)
Hvala @KinkyOne that is great music. Love the libertango .

Lep pozdrav

Spanish "ll" isn't always subtituted by "ch" in Galician. Yourself quoted an example:

Galician: Galego
Spanish: Gallego

P.S.: "ll" is used many times in Galician to substitute Spanish "j". For example:

Spanish: Mujer
Galician: Muller
When I am ready studying Brasilean Portugese I start learning Galego :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When I am ready studying Brasilean Portugese I start learning Galego :)

I studied Brazilian Portuguese (carioca) in college and apart from the accent and a few vocab words, it was easy to switch to the Portuguese of Portugal, and makes it very easy to read Galego (and listening, depending on who's speaking). I look forward to trying out my very rudimentar Galego on the unsuspecting people of Galicia in a couple of months!!

I speak normative Galego and rural Galego that is the same as normative but with some Spanish words added.
In Portugal there are a few places in the North (Parque de Peneda-Geres) where the Portugese is quite similar to Galego, but in most places in the North they speak like in Lisboa.
I can have a conversation with a Portugese without any problem, but I have serious problems to understand two people talking in the street especiallly in the South. I understand better the Brazilian Portugese that the Portugese from the South.

Coming back on an earlier post.

My group KLEZBEZ performed "chove in Santiago " last week in a church in Rotterdam the Netherlands.
Here an impression of the rehearsal

We performed an other song, Spanish , with an 81 old male singer , León Lissitza who is very well known here and recently also performed in Las Vegas.

I am the bass player.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you Albertinho for your post. Chove en Santiago cantada en Galego en Rotterdam non é calquera cousa para min.

The other song Adio Querida I think is Ladino ( the Sephardic Spanish)

Thank you Albertinho for your post. Chove en Santiago cantada en Galego en Rotterdam non é calquera cousa para min.

The other song Adio Querida I think is Ladino ( the Sephardic Spanish)
You are right . León is a Ladino , born and raised in Barcelona
He is very famous here in the Netherlands by now and a very kind person.and a great singer.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.