• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Last day in Santiago

Kildare

Time of past OR future Camino
June 27th
just want to come on here to say thank you for all the tips. I stayed in Saint Martin Hotel in Santiago as recommended on here. It was a great recommendation. We also had a drink in the Pardor hotel also recommended on here and I'd highly recommend it. We collected our certs today and my daughters were especially disappointed after all the work of collecting our stamps making sure they had a date on each one they were not checked. As my daughter said anyone could just walk in and get one. My daughters pilgrim passport had fallen apart the front cover came of and they just took this stamped it and gave the cert without checking anything. We walked from Porto. We did buy the compostela with the amount walked on it but felt hard done by as we cud have said we walked any amount. Tonight we ate in a restaurant called Abastos I highly recommended this for a treat. We had octopus and their 3 course set menu for €30. Anyway I need to sleep thank you everyone for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We did buy the compostela with the amount walked on it but felt hard done by as we cud have said we walked any amount.
The Compostela does not have the distance walked or the starting point named on it. Just the recipient's name, the date it was issued and any "pro vicarie" dedication. I walked my first Camino before the minimum distance rule was introduced. I walked from SJPDP. Someone else could have walked from the Santiago railway station and received the same Compostela on the same day if the priest who issued them decided that their visit to the tomb of the Apostle was a pilgrimage. That seems quite right to me. I have never thought of pilgrimage as a competitive sport.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My daughters pilgrim passport had fallen apart the front cover came of and they just took this stamped it and gave the cert without checking anything.
I suspect the Pilgrim Office staff and volunteers are canny enough to know the look and feel of a credential that has been dutifully completed by the pilgrim along the way. As for the distance certificate, I think they rely upon the starting point that you enter in the credential. I know that they do pay attention, because I have had a mistake in my registration detected when my QR code was scanned, and was quite happy to have it corrected by the volunteer at the time.

Of course, one could be untruthful about many things, but why? It is more important to me that my compostelas and distance certificates are honest reflections of my pilgrimages than to inflate any claims I might make about them.

Hello I didn't mean to upset anyone on here I just gave an honest opinion of our experience. Most of what I said was from 11 year old and kids say it as they see it. I've attached a photo of our compostela with the distance walked on it. Thanks again for all the tips given they are much appreciated. I also need to say I don't see it as a competitive sport in fact my 14 year old said she done it for Religious reasons when choosing a reason but for my 11 year old she carried her passport with pride and put all of effort into getting each stamp and dating them and was genuinely upset when the cover came of with wear and tear so I understand why she wud feel this way at the end when hers was not checked at all. All they from her was the front cover not checking any of her stamps.

Attachments

• 20230720_110123.jpg
    20230720_110123.jpg
    706.8 KB · Views: 83
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I suspect the Pilgrim Office staff and volunteers are canny enough to know the look and feel of a credential that has been dutifully completed by the pilgrim along the way. As for the distance certificate, I think they rely upon the starting point that you enter in the credential. I know that they do pay attention, because I have had a mistake in my registration detected when my QR code was scanned, and was quite happy to have it corrected by the volunteer at the time.

Of course, one could be untruthful about many things, but why? It is more important to me that my compostelas and distance certificates are honest reflections of my pilgrimages than to inflate any claims I might make about them.
This is ture. Its not a big deal at all the experience was to become closer as a family heal from divorce and be grateful for the little things in life hot water food and kindness and become closer to god and that's what we all received so that's all that's matters. I received help from the advice on here so I just thought my post might help others that's all as I said already I didn't mean to upset anyone

I think that the volunteers in the Pilgrim's Office can tell just by looking at someone whether they have completed their journey - especially those that have walked the CF. Whether that is by their weatherbeaten look, their limping to the counter, or their look of pride in the completion of their pilgrimage.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
just want to come on here to say thank you for all the tips. I stayed in Saint Martin Hotel in Santiago as recommended on here. It was a great recommendation. We also had a drink in the Pardor hotel also recommended on here and I'd highly recommend it. We collected our certs today and my daughters were especially disappointed after all the work of collecting our stamps making sure they had a date on each one they were not checked. As my daughter said anyone could just walk in and get one. My daughters pilgrim passport had fallen apart the front cover came of and they just took this stamped it and gave the cert without checking anything. We walked from Porto. We did buy the compostela with the amount walked on it but felt hard done by as we cud have said we walked any amount. Tonight we ate in a restaurant called Abastos I highly recommended this for a treat. We had octopus and their 3 course set menu for €30. Anyway I need to sleep thank you everyone for your help
Delighted to hear it went well for you! And always very nice when someone tells us how it went. Not at all necessary to say thankyou - but a very kind thought when it happens.
I am positive you have upset no one with your comments.
Safe journey back home - you will need to get the sweaters and raincoats out I fear.
May the road rise to meet you.....

Receiving the Compostela can be a bit of a disappointment. I guess, especially in Summer when the office is quite buisy they simply do not have the time to have a little chat with everyone. But you know what you have achieved and for me my passports are the way more memorable "souveniers" anyways.

As for your choice of dinner at the Abastos i applaud you. It is one of my favourite places in Santiago and a special treat. Bit expensive, but worth it i think.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Kildare!
Glad you and the girls had a great time !
I don't think you upset anyone.
Take joy from what you have experienced with your girls that's wonderful and priceless !!
That joy will last a lifetime.
I have one Compostela and that's enough.
My slightly knackered pilgrim passport like your daughters means more to me.
It's a tangible reminder of the journey and places you visited; no more Compostela's for me when i walk!
Did your walk make you feel like doing another one?
All the best
Buen future Camino
Woody

The process of receiving your Compostela has been highly improved in the last years.
I remember when in a tipical summer day you had to wait in the line outside the old office in Rua Do Vilar something like four hours to receive it. If you arrived late, you had to wait till the next day, so many people that have tight plane, bus or train connections couldn't wait and they missed it.
Then, some years ago they introduced the IT system by which you received a number and you could check in your phone how many numbers you had ahead, so you didn't have to wait in line and could go to visit Santiago and return when your number was near.
Now, with the preregistraton and the digital printing of the compostela it only took me five minutes to receive my Compostela in a day of July this year¡¡
That's a great improvement over the years and a great work of the Pilgrim's Office.
And sure the volunteers check your stamps, quickly but they do. They have to process something like 2.000 or more a day. They only check the last 100 kms stamps (two per day) and they know at a glance wheter you have the required or not.
It could be a more formal and satisfying process?. Yes, but that will probably bring again the long waiting times.
Somebody can cheat?. Yes, but he himself kows it and it's for its shame.
I also agree that the credential full of stamps is a more cherished memory of your trip.

Last edited:
For those of you who want to keep your pilgrim passport in good condition while you walk, I recommend getting the plastic covers that Ivar sells. They are perfect and large enough to put your pilgrim pass, your passport and day money. I wouldn't walk a Camino without them.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Well done!

Hi Doug, If I want to buy the distance certificate also, do they issue it at the same time as the Compostela?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello I didn't mean to upset anyone on here I just gave an honest opinion of our experience. Most of what I said was from 11 year old and kids say it as they see it. I've attached a photo of our compostela with the distance walked on it. Thanks again for all the tips given they are much appreciated. I also need to say I don't see it as a competitive sport in fact my 14 year old said she done it for Religious reasons when choosing a reason but for my 11 year old she carried her passport with pride and put all of effort into getting each stamp and dating them and was genuinely upset when the cover came of with wear and tear so I understand why she wud feel this way at the end when hers was not checked at all. All they from her was the front cover not checking any of her stamps.
What you have posted is the Certificate Of Distance. It is not the Compostela. Compostela is roughly A4 portrait and the certificate you posted is landscape, larger than compostela

Yes, they do. When you pre-register for the Compostela there is a check box for the distance certificate.

View attachment 153275

Uh - oh - I pre registered today and got my QR code - but there was no box to select that. There was some option to request but it seemed to involve sending an e-mail so I didn't pursue it because I'm not going until Sept. Maybe because I'm only doing from Vigo - is that possible?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Doug, If I want to buy the distance certificate also, do they issue it at the same time as the Compostela?
I see this question has been answered, and you are considering doing another registration to get the Certificate of Distance. You could do that, or you could tell the person at the counter that you want that as well as the Compostela, and let them do whatever is necessary to make that happen.

I see this question has been answered, and you are considering doing another registration to get the Certificate of Distance. You could do that, or you could tell the person at the counter that you want that as well as the Compostela, and let them do whatever is necessary to make that happen.
Thanks - I ended up doing a second one - because decided I wanted our middle names included to match my Compostela - I will just show the 2nd QR code - I wonder what the original pilgrims would have thought about QR codes....lol

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I checked "no" for the distance certificate when I pre-registered, because I thought you had to go to a different office. However, the woman issuing my certificate asked me again & issued one. I was very surprised by the speed and joyful service she provided:)

IMO the passport and process is a very personal thing. If you want to "cheat" then the only person you are cheating is yourself and why would you want to do that? I arrived at the office (30th june) ready to show my two cards (started from St Jean) only to find i had the left the second card at a church near santiago airport. The look on my face convinced the office I was genuine, my one card was stamped and the certificate printed. The gentleman also suggested I return a few days later to see if it had been brought in. Sure enough on return I was given about 20 cards and amongst them was mine. Great joy all round and a big thank you to the person who brought it in for the final few km's.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
When I was handed my compostela I burst into tears. The staff member quickly grabbed my hands. It was a very tender moment; one I will always remember and cherish. Also, it was raining on that day in Santiago and it caused the ink from some of the stamps on my credencial to run. I simply regard that as a sort of celestial stamp (though the compostela was safely ensconced in a tube, purchased at the office).

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.