• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2010

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
Hi Everyone
I'm from Vancouver, Canada and will be starting from SJPdP on April 29. This will be my first Camino and I am both nervous and excited. I am looking forward to meeting new people and thanks for everyone posting information. If anyone is going about the same time, please let me know.
RSG

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It´s Friday. I leave on Monday to start my Big Camino. Got my train ticket, bag packed (5 kg), everything ready to roll.
I am as excited and scared as anybody else out there, wondering if I have everything I need, if the weather is going to be OK, etc. etc. Hope to meet some of you out there on the trail!

Woohoo!
Reb.

Reb,
I've heard that there's this place not far from Sahagun where they offer hospitality for tired and weary pilgrims. Paddy even does a good line in boiled eggs for the next day's walk. Perhaps you could call in there. I can give you more details if you need them!
Buen Camino!
Margaret

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Reb -

Have a grand adventure!

Buen camino.

lynne

God speed, Rebekah! Anne

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello from downunder

Me and my wife starting to walk camino (crosing my fingers and toes) on 24 of Aprill from SJPP.
Everthing almost ready, hoping that plains, trains and automobiles deliver us on time to our starting point.

Buen Camino to all

HI.
I'm starting on pilgrimage on easter sunday! I'm flying to santiago and then hoping to get the bus to Lugos and the bus from there to Sarria where I will meet up with my sister. She completed the camino last year from st jean to santiago and is doing the last 100km with me as I only get a weeks holiday. I'm getting excited but a bit nervous and wondered if anyone had any advice?
Thanks. Becky

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My advice:

1. Listen to your body when it talks to you (especially your feet)
2. Be open to everything-don't miss any of the landscape, sights, smells, food, drink, people.
3. Have a wonderful adventure!

lynne

I will arrive in St. Jean on 20 May 2010! Will begin walking on 22 May 2010. I think the jet lag will get the best of me the first 24 hours. :roll:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi there!

I'm Muppet and leaving from Porto on the 2nd of April to walk the Portugese route. After that will travel down to Seville at the end of April and attempt to walk the Via de La Plata route back up to Santiago..the mind is willing...hopefully the body also! :roll:

Good luck to everybody out there and hope to see some of you on the route! :D

Greetings to Class of 2010,

Have been asking lots of questions and reading threads over the past few weeks (become a bit of an addict already) but now there is no way back...booked my ticket today and am soooooo excited! This is a first for me.

I arrive in Biarritz Friday July 2nd at 16.45 so will be getting into SJPP in the evening. I may hang out on Saturday and start only on Sunday July 4th. Will see how I feel.

Grew up on the East coast of the U.S. but have been living in Holland for 17 years (any Dutch pelegrinos/as out there wanting to train???)

I will be walking for 3 weeks so hope to make it to Leon...need to be back in Biarritz on July 24th that is all I know for sure! So the whole Camino is unfortunately not in the cards this year.

Plan on staying at l'Esprit du Chemin Friday/Saturday night.

Is there anyone arriving in Biarritz on July 2nd and/or leaving SJPP on July 3rd or 4th?

Would love to hear from you.

Cheers,
Lee

I am studying abroad this semester in Burgos. I am planning to do some of the camino before I go back home (North Dakota, US) around the end of June/beginning of July.

€149,-
Hello all.

I have house sitters booked for the end of May
But no idea where I will end up.
Thinking of the Seville route.

(Just to start a chat off, I could look at the forecast.)
Will it be too hot?

Fin.

I begin my Camino on May 19th, with flight, train, taxi, etc. I arrive in St. Jean on May 20th. After a proper respite from Jet lag, i will begin my walk on May 22nd. I am soooooo excited. This is a journey I have longed for, for many years. And now, it is a reality!!!! :D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi all,

I intend to start out from Roncevalles on Sept 21. I've started my fitness program, & I thought I was getting used to long distances until I put on a fully loaded pack, which makes it infinitely harder. Still, there's plenty of time yet.
My main worry is finding places to sleep on the Camino Frances in a Holy Year, but I'll just hope for the best & experiment with spending nights in my sleeping bag on the living room floor before I go.

JonathanCullis said:
My main worry is finding places to sleep on the Camino Frances in a Holy Year, but I'll just hope for the best & experiment with spending nights in my sleeping bag on the living room floor before I go.

Sounds like a good idea, you should be stiff, creaking and knackered before you even set off.
:)

I´m Haley, a Canadian looking to do the walk in May 2010. I had planned to do it with a friend from Spain but he´s just had surgery and won´t be able to. So now I´ve got the ticket for Spain booked but no one to walk with. Is there a group or anyone going solo who wants to meet up and start together? I´m flexible about starting point and date, and basically just want to find some people to kick off the journey with -- it´s really intimidating to think about starting alone but I´m sure it all comes together once you get started.
If anyone´s up for it, let me know and we can chat a little bit first and see if it´ll work out!
H

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello all! I'll be starting my walk the first week of May- officially less than 30 days from now: :shock:
This forum has been fantastic in anticipating & answering my many, many questions... thank you everyone!
I have 38 days to do the trek. Though I am going solo I am eager to meet & share moments with fellow pilgrims. I expect I'll be an infamous early morning bag rustler!

See you out there,
Rebecca

Hi
I'm looking to start sometime in October to try to hit a finish date of Nov.5, which just so happens to be my 50th birthday! I'm still in the very early stages of planning, where to start ? How far to go ? Tour/No Tour? Never have traveled abroad alone before. Any suggestions ????

Thanks,
Robin

Hi
I'm arriving in SJPDP on 26th April..Start walking on the 27th. I done it around the same time last year. This year I'm a little more wary,as I've being having trouble with my right knee and hip. I think the hard winter we had might have something to do with it. But nevertheless I'm looking forward to the walk. Pat

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi All,

I, too, am a member of the class of 2010. I feel like I live on this Forum. I cannot thank the veteran posters enough! Thank you for sharing your wisdom and experience. I have learned so much from all of you. And the best part is feeling a part of this community well before I set foot on Spanish soil.

I now have my third pair of footware. The winner is New Balance 966, the waterproof version of what AnnieSantiago has recommended. I've packed my pack for the fourth time (the fifth packing is being planned) and am walking around my city wearing my pack. But I'm still not up to the distances I'm planning to cover in Spain.

It's hard for Americans to get enough time off work to do the whole Camino. So I'm doing two segments: walking three days from Roncevalles starting May 19, then a detour to Bilbao, then five days of walking the Via de la Plata from Ourense to Santiago de Compostella, thanks to Sil.

Hope to meet some of you.

Buen Camino,
Janet

Hey there!

I'll be flying into France with a friend on May 3rd and will be starting the walk on the 6th. My friend and I will have a month and change to make it SdC. It should be quite the adventure.

Perhaps we'll run into each other!

Also, if anybody will be in Biarritz/Bayonne the night of the 4th or in SJPdP on the 5th, I'm always up for meeting new and interesting people, or even new and not-so-interesting people. Or if you'll be leaving SJPdP on the 6th, that also works too. :)

Mark (and others)

I was there two weeks ago.

When you exit the airport at Biarritz, you turn left and there is a bus stand there that will take you to Bayonne. There is no ticket booth - you pay the bus driver directly (with Euros). Tell him that you need to go to the train station in Bayonne to catch the train (bus) to SJPP.

The train is out until the end of June but they have a bus taking its place. The bus leaves from the train station, not the bus station. It mimicks the train and stops at all of the train stations along the way to SJPP. For this bus, you have to go into the train station and buy a ticket.

The bus (train) will drop you off at the train station in SJPP. From there, walk uphill until you come to a very busy street. Cross that street and continue uphill. The next street you will come to is paved by bricks and is very narrow. This is likely the original main street from 1500 years ago. It is on this street, as you walk uphill, it is on the left hand side, that the registration office where you get registered, stamped, local guide maps, and local advice on hostels, routes, and weather.
Nothing is marked very well so keep your eyes open and very few people speak english so be prepared for this.

Tim

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Well, the April move from SJPDP appears in full swing!

When you arrive and , if you have a day or two..make sure you visit the Farmer's Market on the north of town. You will have an opportunity to check out the best and freshest local produce and wine in the region. I carried a fine sausage and hard cheese on up to Roncesvalles, stopping half way up at Orrison. If you haven't considered that...well, check into it.

Keep us posted on your travels!

Buen Camino
Arn

Hello Everyone !

I'm a 19 year old girl from Belgium and I intend to do the Camino at the end of July, beginning of August. The only problem is I can't really buy my ticket yet because I'm not sure I can afford the whole trip yet (food and accomodation)
I need to find a job soon, because I really want to do this.

If everything goes according to plan, I will land in either Biarritz (but then I would have to go all the way to Amsterdam first ..) or Pau (Charleroi is closer to home + it's cheaper.)
Pau is way farther away though .. I might have to make use of Express Bourricot (to SJPDP), anyone have an estimate how much it would cost?

I've always been very adventurous, even when I was a kid. And I've always dreamed of travelling around the world. I still don't get how people do it though, what with having jobs and such.
I secretly still cherish that dream, but I have to deal with an overprotective mommy (who's only that way because she loves me, I know ^^) so I'm doing the camino instead.
I've read a lot about it, and this site has been soooo useful. I was particularly fascinated by the page "why I did the camino."

I'm doing the camino because I love travelling, I love being on the road, I love the idea of having nothing to look after to, not to worry about doing the dishes on time ...

I'm also doing the camino because the past two years have been really hard.
Depressed, lost, confused, anorexia, boulemia, getting overweight ...
I've tried to go to college twice and dropped out twice. Without a diploma, everyone's like "Now you will have a miserable life because you won't get a decent job and blablaba ..."
I tried to look at it from the bright side (which is hard to do when you're depressed), to say "I know people who don't have a degree that are plenty happy!" but it still freaks me out.

I've always been a weirdo, never really fitted in with sociaty. The thought of me doing the same old boring job day in and day out terrifies me to death. I'm scared I will turn miserable.

No job appeals to me, nothing really appeals to me.
I have a desire to live free, to do nothing but travel, to do nothing but learn from life.
I'm well aware that living free is not really an option, but this is the way I feel inside.
Although I'm happy that I'm not like other people, that I'm a bit unique,
it's very hard for me to feel happy this way.

I'm totally lost.

I'm hoping that the camino will bring things in perspective for me and that I will find myself again.

(And to be completely honest with you: the sick part of me is looking forward to the weightloss it will surely bring.)

Hi Hayley, I hope you get your chance to walk the Camino this summer. Pilgrimages are great for renewing your hope and perspective for the future!
Cath

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Hayley -

Welcome, and thanks for sharing with us.

Sometimes when we are faltering in life, a huge experience like walking the Camino, does bring perspective to us, because we make an inward as well as an outward journey.

I hope that by walking the Way, that you find YOUR way.

Keep in touch with us and let us know how you're doing.

lynne

Hey, folks -- My gosh, how did I miss this forum over the past several years I have been planning my Camino adventure? Yikes, I must not have been paying close enough attention.

I am flying from Los Angeles to walk the Camino Frances. I will be in Pamplona Saturday and/or Sunday, May 1-2, and then plan to travel to and then leave from SJPdP on Monday, May 3. Have no idea yet where I will be staying in Pamplona. I would be happy to meet up with fellow Pilgrims (I'll go back and read the rest of the thread, too.)

Greetings from New Zealand. We are starting our journey in late May 2010 - and while I'm sure I'll spend plenty of time reading and asking questions on this site - just wanted to send a virtual hello to all fellow pilgrims. Hope to see some of you IRL - I'll be easily spotted - look for the woman with the 'stunned at her good fortune' expression. :eek:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi.. I posted a brief intro before, but here's a bit more about us.

We're June and Chris Behr. We live in Burlington, Vermont, USA, on the shores of Lake Champlain (the 6th Great Lake), to the East of the Adirondack Mountains and West of the Green Mountains. We have a daughter who lives in France (Moulins) and visit her every few years. We began to plan a 2010 visit a few months ago and decided it would be fun to visit Spain, especially the museums in Madrid. In reading Rick Steeve's guide book, I came across a brief description of the Camino Frances and, for reasons that are not all that clear, I became very, very interested. So, after much thought, we decided to make the walk from Porto in September/October of this year. When we were younger, we hiked all over the Northeast, USA, but we're in our 70's now, so we've started walking A LOT. This forum has been an invaluable resource and it feels good to become part of this community.

June and Chris

Welcome June and Chris! I'm sure you've already browsed through the forum, but if you have questions, just ask!

(I'm always happy to see more seniors joining the forum and walking the camino|).

lynne

Hi to everyone!
My name is Matti and I have been reading this forum for quite a while. All the plans have been made and will start my camino the 29th of this month so it´s only one more week to go. Hope the airtraffic has gone back to normal by then! I will start from Pamplona and have five weeks to reach SdC. Starting alone but a friend of mine will accompany me for the last two weeks. Just packed my backpack for the first time and all the tickets have been bought. Hope to have a good camino and make a lot of new friends! Recuerdos de Finlandia! matti

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello!

Me and my friend have already bought tickets, and are spending all our free hours planning for the journey of our lives :) We're going to land in Asturia airport on the 17th of June, and will walk the del Norte, hopfully reaching Santiago de Compostela before our plane leaves on the 13th of July. We are undertaking this pilgrimage because of similar yet slightly different reasons - I am an old scout, a nature hippie, and have come to the conclusion that I want to fill my life not with things, but with experiences. Also, this will be a chance for me to think about things, my life and my future. My friend wishes to do the pilgrimage for basically the same spiritual reasons.

If this proves to be what we hope it will be - something very special - we will probably do more pilgrimages, complete the del Norte when the time allows, and perhaps even do more routes.

Nice camino, friends!

Oh so excited and nervous!!! I am leaving Melbourne in 4 days and beginning at SJPP on the 1st of May.Is any one else leaving then? Hope to see you there. Lisa

lisaloughnan said:
Oh so excited and nervous!!! I am leaving Melbourne in 4 days and beginning at SJPP on the 1st of May.Is any one else leaving then? Hope to see you there. Lisa
Lisa...... all the best for your Camino! But I am just wondering whether you know that May 1st is a public holiday, and traditionally, huge crowds leave from SJPP around that time?
Margaret

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dear Camino. I think I love you already! I found out about you last year and since then you have called me like a Siren. I am mad like Jason, tied to the ships mast. I thought of you as I sat in front of my computer at work. I yearned for you. You have entered my mind and -- my heart. I was 'too busy' at work and the European autumn passed, then I feared snow on the Pyrenees. Forgive me please. I'm weak. I thought of Hannibal near the rock fall in the pass building fires to heat the boulders, then pouring vinegar on them so they cracked. All so he could get his elephants and troops through for a fruitless 15 years of war in Italy. I thought of the Imperial French forces fought back again and again. If they suffered so much, how much more could I?

I prayed to overcome my fear. The still inner voice whispered 'Tours' and I found it on the map. So I start in Tours. I asked for a few months off work and they said yes, an easy yes. It's the gentle hand of Providence at work. Then the unpronounceable volcano erupted (forgive me Icelandic sisters and brothers!). I booked my flight, in early May I come to you Camino, a weak pilgrim, with a pack, a light tent, some clothes, a CSJ guide and trust in the Divine Mercy.

I'm warmed knowing I'll not be alone. The millions of pilgrims past and present will be there with me along the way. Like a conga line through history, that fans out from many places to the one chapel where the bones of a saint rest.

My fellow pilgrims, I hail you, may your road be easy. May you eat enough, not sleep near a loud snorer and put Compeed on your blisters early. Wear thin socks in thick, avoid cotton and drink lots of water. Be merciful to everyone you meet and be loved back.

Thank you for your posts, I have learnt a lot from reading them.

PS I don't speak like this in real life it's just very early in the morning here in Sydney (01:57)and I like to wax a bit at times when I type. Camino, I already know you will be good for me! I'm going to embrace you like my lover.

I'm leaving Indianapolis April 28 for Paris via Detroit, then on to Biarritz and bus to St Jean de Pied Port. I should be walking April 30 westward to Santiago. My Blog is pricetrips.net. Looking forward to a Buon Camino if the gods controlling the Icelandic volcano agree. Phillip Price

My name is eamonn and im starting monday may 3rd, im excited by the adventure of walking over 500 miles and meeting people from all parts of the world and im praying to god the legs and body are 100%. Good luck to everybody in 2010

buen camino

I started my Camino March 16 in Roncesvalles, and finished up in Santiago on 20 April, having followed the Camino Invierno/Peñalba paths out of Ponferrada.

All I can tell you guys is: At some point you´re going to want to give up. Unless your body is really screaming good common sense at you, just DON´T QUIT. It´s so worthwhile finishing the walk under your own power. If you can do this, you can do just about anything!

Reb-.

My husband and I will be doing the Camino Frances in the first week of September and hopefully get to Santiago by Oct.4th. I am really excited the more I read books and the more I visit this forum. Will the crowds be mostly in the summer months? Especially in July as it is the month of St. James?
I want to keep the weight down but not sure if we will have to sleep outdoors because of the crowds.
Anyone else going around this time? We will meet on the camino. Where do you get the badge to put on back to identify that we are members of this forum?

We are what you call seniors, 61 and 65 from Vancouver, B.C. We belong to a hiking club and love to walk.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Congratulations, Rebekah! I'm in my countdown: 18 days until I leave for Spain. I have benefited so much from all the contributors to this forum. Thank you all so much. I will proudly display my Camino Forum patch on my pack if it ever arrives.

Buen Camino
Janet

Name is Tom from Temple TX and I'm flying out tomorrow afternoon bound for Burgos via Madrid. Wish to say thanks to Ivar and Frank for providing an opportunity for all of us to share and learn from our experiences and insights.

It's time for the soles to meet the road, so to speak, and let all my thoughts and expectations about what this experience might be, to become fully realized. Scared a bit, will be engaging my inclinations to plan and control, with the desire to simply be, soak up and just let it unfold...one step at a time.

Thanks 2 All
tom

Well, tomorrow I will finally become an active member of the Class of 2010. Flights to Detroit, then JFK, arriving in Madrid early Friday morning. I will then hop on the metro to go to the Barrabes store to buy my highly touted Altus poncho (thanks Sil and others). From there, down to Atocha to catch the AVE to Sevilla (thanks, Eze, for showing me how to save muchos euros by buying my ticket online). In Sevilla, I will stay at the Hotel Simon (thanks Isabelle). Saturday morning, I will start walking with new orthotics (thanks lynnejohn and kiwinomad for a lot of good advice), and hopefully I will make it further than Caceres, which is where my foot made me stop last year. I am going to take it slower this year, and hope to take a few detours to visit some visigothic and romanesque gems along the way.

Though I may not have the first time jitters, since I’ve been walking Caminos for a decade now, it is always the case that my stomach does flip flops and the daunting nature of the challenge is front and center in my mind in these days leading up to departure. What I can say to the first timers, though, with relative certainty, is that once you are actually out there putting one foot in front of the other, those jitters disappear and you are plunked right into the here and now of the Camino with no time for jitters. It's just time to get on with it.

It's good to know you guys are here, and I'm sure all be calling on you for your advice as those inevitable problems arise. I'll post when I can and hope to see other forum members out there on the Via de la Plata. Buen camino everyone, and many thanks to all the people whose advice I’ll carry with me, Laurie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ah, have a grand time, Laurie! I will eagerly await your posts as we'll be walking at this same time next year on the VDLP!

Go well - buen camino!

lynne

Hello Everybody,

I am planning on doing the Camino Frances during the high season. Even though it will be filled with many pilgrims, I can't wait for the summer to get here. I am looking at going during end of June through July. I hope to meet people on the path. I am also looking for a traveling buddy, to walk with.

€60,-
peregrina2000 said:
Well, tomorrow I will finally become an active member of the Class of 2010. ............. Buen camino everyone, and many thanks to all the people whose advice I’ll carry with me, Laurie
Like Laurie we become active Class of 2010 pilgrims, on Sunday, and are grateful for all the folks here.
I hope to get my Credential stamped in Exeter Cathedral today, then return home before catching the ferry from Plymouth. Terry will start his this year in Oviedo.
Our home broadband/telephone line is playing up so this might be my last chance to post before the Camino. We will be trying to post on the forum occasionally and on the blog http://returntothecamino.blogspot.com.
Buen Camino to all
TerryB and Tia Valeria

We finished our Camino from SJPP to Santiago last Friday. This was one of the most amazing journeys ever. So much to see and experience. As others have said it is not all roses, it is hard walking andthere are days you wonder if you can walk another step. And other unpleasentries such as the abundance of cow manure, albergues with only one or two toilets for 20 or more people, lousy meals, etc. But it is all worth it because you will meet the most wonderful people from all over the world, experience nature at her best and test your inner limits. We now have a month to play before we go home but I doubt it can beat what we just accomplished. To all who gave us advice thanks and to those who are thinking about walking the camino ..... Do it!
Buen Camino
Cullen & Palma

Hello Tom,

Buen Camino Tom! May it be al you have wished for... and more!
Let your followers on the forum know how you are doing!

Hedwig

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello Cullen and Palma,

Wauw! you were using not many words in this message, but.....said it all!!
I am inspired and even more set to go!

Hedwig

After much planning and organising those I will leave at home I will be on my way to Santiago from SJPP in late August. First timer who cannot wait!

Hi

I am 14 and I am walking 120km from Vilalba with my mum in early July (we only have 6 days to spare). Mum did a couple of hundred km last summer and she had the most fantastic time, so I am really looking forward to it. Maybe when I am older I can do the whole Camino Frances!

Will

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I fly to Biarritz 24th July on my tod so will probably start walking from St Jean Pied de Port the next day. Friendly smiles and hellos welcome!

Becka

Hi All
God willing...I hope to be starting my Very first Camino in SJPP +/- 30/31 Aug leaving from South Africa mid Aug.
I am a total camino addict and have read 8 books and a number of guide books as well as joining the Confraternity of St James S.A where I met the dynamic 'Sillydol'... take note of her advice when you see it posted...
As well as walking the Camino for my own reasons I have descided to make use of my steps and find sponsors to donate a Rand for every km walked to a charity for abandoned babies [TLC]
I am wondering who on the forum are planning to walk at this time...

€83,-
SusieW from South Africa, expressed her appreciation of ""the dynamic 'Sillydol'" and advised us to
"take note of her advice when you see it posted," which of course is excellent advice.

However, because Sil is so sensible, wise and knowledgeable, there's another useful to approach to benefitting from her encylopedic knowledge of the Camino that maybe some folks don't know about: If you click on her name over to the right of a post, up comes a profile with the choice to view all of her posts. She has made more than 4200 posts since joining the Forum in 2004. They appear in reverse chronological order, all 170 pages of them. I've only scratched the surface. We are all truly blessed to have her as a veteran poster extrordinaire!

Buen Camino to SusieW and to all of the Class of 2010, of which I am a member. I fly to Madrid, volcanic ash permitting, on Sunday!

Janet

Hi everyone
I'm Louise and I'm from Ireland. Am going to do SJPP to Logrono arriving in Biarritz 16th June. Am going solo so looking forward to meeting lots of people on the way! :D

Louise

Hello eveybody,
finally the time to go back on the Camino is arrived; since I ended the first Camino in 2008 this was my hope and target.
From May 24 I will walk the VDP from Sevilla to Santiago/Fisterra.
Buen Camino to all that are currently on the Camino, to those that are going to walk and those that are dreaming to do it.
I will never forget the old man in Moratinos that told me "Buen Camino y que las piernas aguantan",same for you.
To all I wish that you will find on the Camino what you are looking for.

Ultreia

Graziano from Italy

€46,-
Hey,

I will be starting out on June 24th from SJPP; I didn't mean to go during a Holy Year, it just worked with my schedule. I am a little nervous about the crowds, but figure it will work out. More good people to meet. :)

Thanks for the instructions/notification about the train (bus) from Bayonne to SJPP!

Alicia
from Boston

Hi to all,
I'm from belgium and planning to do the camino del norte and then primitivo and then continue to finisterre.
I'm starting in Irun at 19/06 and travelling solo, so naturally looking forward to meeting other pilgrims along the way :)

Greetings from Belgium

Hola

I'm starting on Monday 17th from Tricastela through Sarria and onto Santiago for 22nd.
Really looking forward to it, hope everyone who's doing it now is having a super and blister free time. Buen camino a todos

midgeymoo xx

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In early July I will start my camino in SJPdP. My family and friends think I have lost it totally but I am superexcited myself. I will go at it alone and I am positive I will make lots of new friends on my way to Santiago. Can't wait to get going!

Hi, I'm sitting at my desk on a chilly Canberra evening, and thinking about reaching Roncesvalles in a week's time to begin walking the Camino. It all seems a bit unreal, not too mention very exciting. For me its the first time on the Camino and the first time to Spain. I reached Biaritz in 1975 but could thumb no further. I'll be travelling with my two good friends Barry and Kim, and look forward to meeting you all along the way. We've been doing training runs in the surrounding national parks and to local cafes. I believe we are ready to start walking!

See you soon
John

Its freezing here in Melbourne! I'm going to be walking the camino in July, during the peak season! Hopefully there will still be time for quiet contemplation somewhere.

€46,-
When the first flowers of this spring started to grow , so did a longing in my heart to go again. And there we re no other ways to live than by heart , so I will follow. Life is a journey, where the importance lies within the way we travel rather than the destinations.
I m heading to Spain this time and Barcelona is on the map. Will work June out and then go. The plan is to walk the northern route San Sebastian- Santiago de Compostela but I m open for suggestions and I m hoping to see you in my crossroads throughout. I havent set a startdate yet I can get a gleam of Spain first and walk in the autumn or the other way around. So July or start of September But I will come along ! :)
Nice to meet you all ! Looking forward to share stories , info. and knowledge and if anyone is heading simular ways and want a walkingfriend -let me know.

Best wishes to you all and greetings from / Marina

No Spanish, no French - only Latin - and about to do first Camino! I'm hoping to arrive in SJPP from South Carolina on the 1st of June and head out on the second. Totally ready to be there and start this!

Peace and all good,

Trey

Hi
I am Valdis, from London.
Have just done 10 days, Irun to Santander, on Coastal Pilgrim route.
Great route, fairly hard on hills but great views compensate.
Contrary to CSJ book is pretty well signed throughout, although the are some added kms. Only got lost once really but added 6 kms to an already long day.
Planning for each day, overnight stops and knowing HOW to get out of the cities, especially pertinent for efficient walking.
Spaniards, French & Germans & Italians all seem to have v good guides to northern route.
Too much asphalt road now on the route so you need ´softer flexible boots/shoes'. (My mountain boots are too hard for this & my feet feel it to end of day bigtime.)
Last few days sun all day, so keep in shade, cover up. Previous days showers and cloud & sun changing throughout day, better for walking....

Hope to keep going on to Oviedo and the Primitivo if I withstand the walk to get there although this is perceived to be the harder route. Keeping an open mind overall, it´s a plan with one day at a time in focus to keep going and the legs in one piece.

Best Regards to all Pilgrims
Valdis.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
ULTREYA! e BUEN CAMINO!
I'am all set! I am starting the camino via St.Jean Pied de Port on the 23/06/2010... hoping to arrive on the 25/07/2010 bang in the middle of St. Jacopo's day! As you see I am not heeding warnings of high Pilgim presence...I will carry a tent... and camp/sleep anywhere! :D Ps. I have the forum Badge so maybe some one might see me there...

I initially posted in "Class of 2011" as I was going to start in September 2011, but have now brought it forward 12 months, and will be heading off mid-September 2010. Look forward to meeting some of you on the track, I will have my badge :)

Jane

I will be flying to Madrid then somehow get to Pamplona and start from there.

Any advice, Im not good with planing or strategies or just to lazy to do that part. I tend to rely on my physical abilities, that is part of the reason I will be doing this trip and going solo.

Is it possible to just buy a plane ticket get to that city and start without plan of shelter or food ( I will sleep in the dirt if I have to) I will be in Madrid July 10- and my outbound flight is Aug 10 so I have to be back in Madrid by then. (walking oneway only)

Any advice

Franky

Hi all
uhm I'm chris, and i'm from Singapore (the lil city state just south of Malaysia), and i'll be doing the Camino Frances this June. I'll be walking the Camino with my mother. This will be my first time doing a Camino but hopefully i'll find it just as enjoyable as my trips in the Himalayas when I was in 10th grade.
Looking forward to this :p

In July you will have a thousand walking companions to choose from each day. One may even be from Croatia! Just start walking. You will meet pilgrims on the trail and in the accommodations.

Hey All
Planning on starting the Camino 30 Sept from Ponferrada. Time constraints won't allow any more time. Feeling like kind of a wimp only doing 140 miles of this but am excited just the same and plan on thoroughly enjoying the time I have!

jetter456 said:
Hey All
Planning on starting the Camino 30 Sept from Ponferrada. Time constraints won't allow any more time. Feeling like kind of a wimp only doing 140 miles of this but am excited just the same and plan on thoroughly enjoying the time I have!

I bet your non pilgrims friends won't think you are a wimp when you tell them you are going to walk 140 miles in continuous days! I walked from Ponferrada earlier in the year. Enjoy :)

Ay dios mio!
We leave in 3 days! It seems like we've been planning our camino forever (well it HAS been almost 2 years) and now it's finally here. Any last words of advice before we go?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
heading out the 15th for paris, and should be in SJPP by the 17th. TERRIFIED as the day gets closer. but so excited to be on the plane and just have it all start. my partner in crime is already in London so i'm going through the anxiety solo right now. *deep breaths* Can't wait to meet some of you all on the camino frances.

Hi all.

I'm going to be starting the Camino Frances on 1st July. I've been wanting to do this for about 15 years and now is the time!!!

I'm a 34 year old Englishman from Sweden, I'm really looking forward to starting. I'd be interested to hear from anyone starting on the same day.

Hi all,
I fly out from Western Australia this monday to Madrid where i join my Sister for a few days then on to Leon our starting point. Thanks to this Forum for the information i have gleaned , most helpful.
Cheers Tanya 8)

Buen Camino to you and your sister, Tanya.

Go well and safely.

lynne

hello all i still have to finalize my dates but i will be arriving at SJPdP between July 28 - August 1st...hope to meet some of you along the way!

Hi all.

I am Fr. Chris Cox, C.S.C., a Catholic priest serving in South Bend, Indiana, USA. I am about to finish my tenure as pastor of two inner-city immigrant parishes, and I will walk the Camino prior to taking up new duties in Santiago, Chile.

I will walk with three companions, and we will set out from St. Jean Pied-de-Port on July 4.

Buen Camino!

Welcome Fr. Cox!

Will probably see you on the Camino as I am starting off from SJPP one day ahead of you on July 3rd!
I unfortunately have not ordered a Camino Forum Patch so will not be distinguishable from the others.

Buena suerte!
LT

€46,-
Welcome Fr. Cox!

Will probably see you on the Camino as I am starting off from SJPP one day ahead of you on July 3rd!
I unfortunately have not ordered a Camino Forum Patch so will not be distinguishable from the others.

Buena suerte!
LT

Hi all,

Since I've now booked my flight to Pamplona for September 8th, I feel like I can officially join the class of 2010.
I'll be walking for a week, going pretty slow, and after that who knows. I might continue or I might go home. I haven't decided yet. But, at least I've finally decided I'm going. =)

Buen camino. I'll see you on the road.

Hilda

Hi hilda,
I will be starting from St Jean on Sept 9, and should be in Pamplona on Sept 11 or 12, also travelling slowly, so maybe we will meet. I am the old guy, with red backpack and from Australia, so we'll look out for each other. Buen Camino
Camino-David

Hi David,

Perhaps we will meet then. Though, on the 12th I should be in Estella. Could be that we just miss each other... I'll be the young Swede with a red backpack (I think - I haven't got it yet...)

Buen Camino
Hilda

Hi everybody,
Am starting my walk from Le Puy on august 1st. Am getting a bit worried as the day approaches as I haven’t practiced anywhere near as much as I wanted to… Planned shorter days for the first week and will see how I get along? :|
Walked a week in Scotland last year without much practice and found I did get much better along the way (even with a million blisters on my soaking wet feet). Have got new boots now, 1 size bigger and waterproof (although with the likely heat in august that is also worrying me a bit), and have had no problems with them (but then have not had much practice or breaking them in either…). So fingers crossed!

Pretty proud to say that, with the help and packing lists en tips from everybody on the forum, have managed to keep the weight of my pack around 7-8 kg (without food/water). Still wondering if I should worry about dogs (am neither phobic nor fan, but not bringing walking poles…)? And what to do about books (not guide books), don’t see them (or their weight…) on many pack lists, but I do like to read… And then there’s accommodation. Want to keep things flexible, but found that when booking ahead for my first few nights I got quite a few “complets” from gites. So don’t know how I will get along there.

So, a bit anxious but looking forward to it, hope to meet many of you along the way!
Buen camino everybody,
Danielle

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello All! I am starting out on my first camino this September. We plan to start in Oviedo and take the Camino Primitivo. I am hoping for good weather and a great experience!
-Claire
Santa Barbara, CA

Welcome Claire.
2010 started out with some miserable rain and floods, but has since turned into the hottest year for the world on record... Is this global warming? I've done my Caminos in the spring, but I understand September and early autum can have excellent weather. I hope it holds for you.

Glad to see you try a route other than the Camino Frances. The Camino Primitivo will give you a great experience.

Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada

I leave Melbourne on the 25th August and hope to be in SJPP via Paris on the 27th. Getting VERY excited and open to whatever happens.
Scott

HI
my name is Justine and I am walking the Camino Francés starting around September 11-12 from St Jean PP. Should be flying into Paris on the 8th or 9th of September. It'd be nice to talk to anyone who is going around the same time from Canada also, or just starting from SJ. Looking forward to it!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.