• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2011

Hi Everyone, my name's Edwina (from Australia) and I've finally decided that 2011 is the year I walk the Camino. I first need to clear the dates with work but I'm hoping to begin my walk from SJPP in late August.

I'm so glad I've come across this forum. There's so much knowledge here that's going to come in handy.

August can't come soon enough.

:)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Welcome to the Forum Edwina. You'll find answers to nearly anything (!!) here. Do you know about the pilgrim get togethers in Sydney? At Casa Asturiana (Spanish Restaurant), Liverpool street... next one Dec 4. We're down the south coast of NSW so only occasionally get to them but you can contact Sandra who organises them on

sandracollier *hotmail.com

Also more info on . . . http://www.csj.org.uk/australia.htm
Send me a PM if you need any more help there. Good luck with the planning..... it's very exciting. We are going to walk the Vdlp next year and I can't wait.
Buen camino :arrow:
Carole

Hi Carole, I didn't realise there were any local get togethers, so this is great. I'll have to make sure I get to the December one.

Thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated. :D

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In 2007 I walked from Roncesvalles, starting the last week in August and finishing on 2nd October. It is a lovely time of the year to walk. The crowds and heat of August have passed, it is harvest time - grapes, pears, apples, nuts, figs, and the blackberry brambles are full of delicious fruit all along the camino trails. Don't 'steal' fruit from the farmer's trees but if they are hanging over your path and are ready to drop, you might as well enjoy them!
We only took a silk sleeping bag liner and it was fine - we only needed to ask for a blanket in the high places.

Attachments

• Bramble berries.jpg
    Bramble berries.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 1,116
raising my hand :D Exited!!Hope to leave april-mai.maybe earlier. Plans are still changing. I will walk for two weeks, on frenche route to santiago.and then go to finesterre.

I will be continuing my pilgrimage in early April 2011, starting at Tardajos (which is where I stopped last time). I have exactly 29 days and that means doing about 20km each day with a few rest days or days at the very end in Santiago. In 2008 I found that 15km was easy, 20km perfectly doable, but 25km-plus was a struggle. I am so excited to be going back.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Welcome Michael,
The Portugues is a lovely way to start and I'm sure you will enjoy the beautiful scenery. :D
Bom caminho. Carole

Goodevening Edwina,

Welcome to the forum. All your questions will be answered here ! A great source of information. I will be walking from Leon, the 18th of April 2011. I can not wait!
I wish you happy preparations! Enjoy!
And it is wonderful to dream about this Way.
Greetings from Holland

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Welcome here!
Well I got the green light this week from my boss for my sabbatical next year. It all becomes very real now!! So if all goes well, I'll be leaving around the 10th of April 2011 for Roncesvalles.

Hello!
My name is Anne. I am a peregrina since 2008.
I´m from Germany and i´m 37 years old and work at hospital.
2008 i started my first camino. I walked from Pamplona to Santiago de Compostela. In spring 2010 i started my second pilgrimship on the Via de la Plata. In three weeks i walked from Sevilla to Salamanca. Now it´s my wish, to walk the second part of the via de la plata from Salamanca to Santiago in May 2011. I hope it will be possible.
Greetings from Anne

Hello!

Wht is a peregrina?

Tim

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Edwina,
I have just returned from the Camino Frances, starting mid September, and I shall be at the Sydney group meeting on Dec 4, so hope to see you there and help you with information. I know how it is before you start with so much you don't know in spite of research. See you soon. David

Tim-the-fat-Canadian said:
Hello!

Wht is a peregrina?

Tim
Hi Tim it's the female form of peregrino- a pilgrim. Just in case you decide to start a bit further back track for your second Camino the french versions are M =Pelerin F=Pelerine :)
Nell

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello!

My name is Stephanie. I'm 28, living in Portland, OR, and brand new to the forum. I've spent the last couple days pouring over these pages and I'm so excited, I wish I could leave tomorrow! But alas, I have to wait until May 2011. I'll be flying to Paris and then taking the Le Puy route down to SJPP, then onward to Santiago via the Camino Frances. It will be my first Camino. I have long dreamt of walking the way and decided last month that next year is finally the time. I have not started training yet, though I am avid everyday walker - at least 4 or 5 miles daily, and sometimes far more. After Christmas I will start training with a pack!
I'll be going alone, which is a bit nerve-racking as I speak no Spanish, but a vacation in Montreal last month made me realize my French is not as nonexistent as I thought. I start a French course in January, and am hoping English, French, and a few choice phrases in Spanish will be enough to get me through. I'm also a vegetarian of over 10 years, I'd imagine that will have to change!

Looking forward to learning from and with you all!
Fair winds,
Stephanie

Hi Stephanie,

I walked the route from Le Puy two years ago, and am a vegetarian (and actually, I was 28 when I did it, too--so we really have a lot in common!). I picnicked a lot--cheese and tomato sandwiches, mostly, and of course chocolate and fruit. And then you can often cook for yourself in the gites d'etape (walkers' hostels) in the evening.

Also, a lot of the private gites offer demi-pension, where you pay extra and get dinner and breakfast with your stay. I found it was nice to do that once in a while, since it's usually a very communal meal, and of course the French food was always excellent. When I called to reserve my bed (usually the night before, or sometimes even the morning of), I'd ask if I could get a vegetarian meal, and no one ever refused me. The main courses basically all involved eggs. I suspect they weren't all one hundred percent free of other animal products like fat, either, so if you're really strict you probably won't want to do that.

I also met a few people who spoke basically no French, and they survived the route. But it's good you're taking a course, because a lot of walkers on that route are French, so if you can't speak at least a bit of French I suspect it could be lonely. You'll find what French you do have improves in leaps and bounds, too. I was never actually fluent, but after a week or two I could have basic French conversations without having to think about every word.

Buen Camino!
Anna-Marie

Hi all of you lovely 2011 intending pilgrims. I wish you well, these walks are lifechanging and inspiring. I would love to go every year if I truly could. I only got started when I was over 50 years old and wished I had started walking the pilgrim trails when I was younger. Anyhow, I have loved the trails I have done over the last 4 or so years and hope I have the funds and health to do quite a few more over the next 10 or so years, happy planning, cheers, Gitti

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I just got an early Christmas gift from my mom: my plane ticket. There's no turning back now. I will be flying from Montréal to Bordeaux May 12 and will fly from Paris June 20. I have the best parents in the whole world.

Hi,
My name is Ian I am planning to start from the Somport sometime shortly after the 7th April.
I am arriving by way of Alicante (short break) and then bus (or Ryanair) to Zaragoza/Jaca .
Does anybody know if it is necessary to book a bed at the Albergue Aysa on the Somport pass.

I have six weeks to get to Santiago and hopefully Finisterre if all goes well.

Buen Camino
Ian

Hello Ian

The photo beside this note is of Somport on the morning of 7th April 2008. As you can see there was still snow around at that time, and a lot of skiers staying at the Aysa. However I walked in off the street, so to speak, and ended up sharing a room with a young German pilgrim, where there were 3 double bunks and just us two. I remember that I slept very well, having walked 40 km, mostly up hill, from Serrance during the day.

If you are looking for accommodation on a weekend when more skiers would be around, perhaps it might be a good idea to make a booking.

buen camino

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Hi everybody!
I will walk the Camino Frances may/june from SJPDP and I also this time have as many days as is required - the blessing of not working.
See you guys!
Anyone planning to leave beginning of may?
Love and blessings,
Anne-Marie

:D

Forrest said:
I am also planning to go in the 2011 season. It will be my first Camino, and I plan to do it alone in August and September. I am really enjoying this forum...great tips, convo.
regards to all, Grainne
I am planning to walk around this time, definetly Camino del Norte,

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I agree - absolutely. That is why we won't be staying in the traditional albergues.
We have booked to stay mostly in small hotels, inns, casa rurals and apartments.
We are walking three sections of the Frances and will stay in a private albergue on each section including one in Puente La Reina, the monastery in Rabanal and el Mirador in Portomarin.

sillydoll said:
I agree - absolutely. That is why we won't be staying in the traditional albergues.
We have booked to stay mostly in small hotels, inns, casa rurals and apartments.
We are walking three sections of the Frances and will stay in a private albergue on each section including one in Puente La Reina, the monastery in Rabanal and el Mirador in Portomarin.

That's great - to find thoughtful travel like that is a tonic :D

Wishing all peregrinos a very Happy Christmas from a snow covered Ireland and looking forward to meeting some of you in May and June next year. Lydia.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXh7JR9oKVE&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

A Happy and Holy Christmas to all,Best Wishes for 2011 from a frozen Scotland.Hope to meet some of you next year.
Buen Camino.
stpatricksbhoy. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

I did the Camino Ingles last year, and hope to do the Camino Portugues in Summer 2011, so I am joining the Class of 2011 :D

P.S. Merry Christmas to all...

Hello everyone!

I'm Juha from Finland and I will be joining the 2011 class with my wife. There has always been only a limited time available in summer, so I've done my Camino Frances in parts: In 2005 to Burgos and 2009 to Astorga. Next June should be the time I finally get to finish - for the first time. :wink:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
All the best Juha, to you and your wife. The section you have remaining is quite lovely. You will be climbing up to Rabanal, and past the Cruz de Ferro, and you will have the ascent up O'Cebreiro, then the descent into the green of Galicia. I am sure you will be glad to finally reach Santiago.
Margaret

Thank you! I'm looking forward to it. My wife has already done the last third with a bike so I have some idea of the scenery. This time she will have time to really enjoy it.

Juha, if you have time to spare, try to walk on to Fistera. Its a lovely walk and that first view of the ocean is worth the extra 3 or 4 days!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wish I could, but that would be too long. I have one extra day or maybe two depending on travel arrangements, but that is all. I hope to do the full route at once one day. That would definitely deserve Fisterra as ending.

I am American. My trailname is "Redhat" and I plan on walking from St. Jean de Pieds to Finisterre between mid June and the end of July. I especially am looking forward to being in Santiago on July 25th. I don't know if I will be walking with a friend or alone, but I will be there.

Greetings all!

I am Fredrik from Sweden embarking on my first pilgrimage spring 2011. I've been making some overall planning for the last couple of months now: reading about the different routes, ordering guide books, etc... and yesterday I booked my airplane ticket to Spain. It feels so definite now - I really will be going!

I will take the Camino del Norte from Irún starting late March and I hope to arrive in Santiago de Compostela in the first days of May. I know I will have to face both cold and rain, but I'm sure there will be some really beautiful days as well to make up for any bad weather.

I'm making my pilgrimage for many different reasons, but most of all I really long to be out there on the roads, leaving my ordinary life behind me to be alone with my thoughts. Thus I feel very privileged to be able to walk for five whole weeks. Until then I'm looking forward to share your experiences here on the forum and continue my preparations.

Regards,
Fredrik

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wishing you Servaas, and everyone here: a beautiful, healthy and inspiring 2011. Allons-y, let's go, vamos... :D

SabineP said:
Welcome here!
Well I got the green light this week from my boss for my sabbatical next year. It all becomes very real now!! So if all goes well, I'll be leaving around the 10th of April 2011 for Roncesvalles.

Hi Sabine

Why not start in SJPP? I presume because of the risk of snow on the mountains? If the weather is good, the trip over the mountain is really worth the effort. I am hoping to start in SJPP around the 17th. Blessings for 2011! Hope your sabbatical will exceed your expectations. Regards, Michael

Hi Michael,

That is indeed one reason for not starting in SJPP, second one is that I already ( some years ago ) walked the part from SJPP to Roncesvalles ( and also other Pyrrennées day-routes ) with friends.
I try not having too much expectations about this sabbatical, but maybe that is because the fears are still winning at the moment... :wink:
Blessings also to you and your start.
Sabine

Hello,

My name is Myra, am living in Midleton, County Cork, Ireland and was born in Letterkenny, County Donegal, Ireland, and i plan to walk this year, that is the only certainty so far, closely followed by the realisation that after a very slow eight mile walk this msorning i am very unfit and need to prepare, am going to begin my training this Wednesday in Floreat, Perth, Western Australia.

However i decided I would join the forum and try and catch up every day and learn something new and get advices, especially need to figure out what i need, where to start from, how long it will take.

Wishing everyone who reads this a Happy New Year'

God Bless.

Welcome Myra,a fellow West Aussie or here for a holiday?
Our very hot weather is hampering my training also. Keep striving now that you have decided to walk the Camino you have a great goal. I plan to walk my third Camino Frances starting in St Jean beginning of May. Last September walked the Portuguese from Lisbon,another memorable time. This is a fantastic forum,you will find everything you need to need here. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat. Happy New year to all on the forum.
Heather

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi everyone,

I was hoping I'd be able to add my name to this thread, and now I can! I'm going to walk the Vía de la Plata/Camino Mozárabe in April/May.

My main problem with planning a second Camino seems to be overconfidence. I keep looking at distances and thinking, "Thirty kilometres--no problem." And then I have to remind myself last time I didn't walk over thirty kilometres in a day until I'd been walking for well over a month (probably closer to two).

Buen Camino to all!

Anna-Marie

Yes Anna-Maria I know that attitude - I also find myself saying that to self but then thankfully the 'alter' pipes up with the sobering reminder "...errr yes, but you last walked 5 years ago pal".

When one's in 60+ age category, aging 5 years does matter, I guess - nevertheless I'm looking fwd to my 2nd camino later this year ... Sept/Oct ;I'll aim at 20-25km/day!

happy trails all and
buen camino
Peter

Hi Peter,

Unfortunately a few years seem to count when you're under sixty, too, if you haven't been walking with a pack in a while.

I hope your Camino goes wonderfully!

Anna-Marie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
anne-marie valton said:
Hi everybody!
I will walk the Camino Frances may/june from SJPDP and I also this time have as many days as is required - the blessing of not working.
See you guys!
Anyone planning to leave beginning of may?
Love and blessings,
Anne-Marie

:D

Hi Anne-Marie
I hope to start in Pamplona on May 4th so maybe we will meet up.
Buen Camino
Lydia

Hello all,
Here it is January 2011 and I've started planning a walk from Le Puy to SJPdP. Actually, I'd love to walk as far as Pamplona, and will if time permits. Last year my wife and I had an amazing start to our pilgrimage - a beautiful day to walk from SJPdP to Roncevalles via the Route Napoleon - sunshine, perfect temperature for walking, amazing scenery and we met some incredible people on Day 1 of our walk to Santiago.

I confess - I'm a repeat offender, I've got the bug, so I'm going to try the Via Podiensis in late-September/October this year. Can hardly wait! Perhaps I'll see some of you along the chemin.

Cheers,
Dick

I plan to walk my first Camino beginning the second week of June, starting in Pamplona. Anyone else looking at that time frame and route? Also, am considering a day trip by bus to Finisterre after a day of rest in Santiago, depending on allowable time. Any thoughts?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I posted in this thread at the beginning of 2010 that I was planning to walk in April 201, starting a day after my 55th Birthday. I was so excited and bought all the gear... backpack, boots, poles, etc. And couldn't wait for the time to arrive. Then as soon as 2011 hit, so did the case of nerves. Now I'm not even a nervous person, but here is the list that made me pick up the phone and change my flight to Sept 3rd.
I've had a cold all winter and feeling winded and sure I would never be able to walk up that mountain!
My dog would miss me
I would miss my dog
My 18 year old daughter would not survive without me
Work is too busy right now (even though my boss told me to NOT cancel because of work)
I haven't been walking enough during the winter and need to be in better shape
What if I get sick
etc, etc
I'm sure there are many others like me who have gone through these newbie jitters. But as it stands the trip has been postponed until Sept. and I have promised myself that I will go then.... because I really want to!

Hola
I will walk at 26. March 2011 from Porto to Santiago. Than a short trip from Santiago back to Porto to visit Fatima and than back to Germany.

Anne-Marie & Lydia--

I will be walking beginning around May 9, starting probably from SJPP unless I decide the Pyrenees are just too terrifying and start from Pamplona. I also have all of May and June, such a blessing and for once in my life I plan NOT to be in a rush.

I hope we cross paths.

Blessings--
Rene

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As I said in the above post, I am from Seattle, WA and am planning to do the Camino Frances from the very end of May to the beginning of July. I am 20 years old and will be walking with two others my age. I am definitely the least athletic of the three of us, but possibly the most enthusiastic, so hopefully that will make up for it (in addition to four months of training). None of us have ever done anything like the Camino before. I've been spending the past two months researching/buying equipment and gear, and am currently wearing newly purchased hiking boot shoe things (after thoroughly exploring the related thread on the forum)- they feel great! While I'm sitting in this chair, anyway. We'll see how they feel after trekking a few hundred miles.

A quick question for the more experienced pilgrims- many guide books say to not carry more than 10% of your body weight in equipment, as you still have to carry food and water on top of that. For me that would only be 10 pounds. 10 pounds of equipment for 40 days? Don't know about that one. My group is running on a tight budget (school funds) and so the whole "buying everything along the way" thing doesn't sound very appealing.

So thankful for this forum.

A twenty-pound pack is generally carry-able for anyone is the pack fits nicely. School children regularly carry book packs with twenty pounds or more in them

A selection of Camino Jewellery
20 lbs = 9kgs.
That would be too heavy for me, a 5'3", 55kg, 64 year-old with osteoporosis and wonky ankles!! I keep my pack under 6kg (13 lbs) and believe me, I pack the same amount of gear for a 6 day hike as I do for a 40 day hike. Two of everything and an extra pair of socks.
Keep it as light as possible - you won't be sorry.

A mistake I made, and made by all rookie Camino walkers, is taking too much. Take as little as possible, and then throw half of that away. The food is very cheap, and my understading is alot of people pot-luck in the kitchens of the hostels. If you are on a very limited tight budget, then kraft dinner will do wonders. You cannot carry 40 days of food!!! You will have days that you will walk all day in the rain, and this will add 25% or more weight to your pack. Pack light. 20lbs is way too much - I found out the hard way.

Hi everyone,

I'm Kari from Chicago, IL. I'm new to the forum and have been pouring over the different discussions. I'm planning on walking the camino for the first time (following el camino frances starting in Saint Jean Pied de Port and continuing beyond Santiago de Compostela to Finisterre) over the summer after my college graduation in mid-June. I'm not exactly sure when I'll be going as I am still trying to figure out the rest of my post-graduation plans (beyond walking the camino). But, I can't wait to graduate and walk the camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome to the Forum Kari and good luck with all your planning. It will work out. :? :D

Best wishes,
Carole

kuannner said:
...many guide books say to not carry more than 10% of your body weight in equipment, as you still have to carry food and water on top of that. For me that would only be 10 pounds. 10 pounds of equipment for 40 days? Don't know about that one.

I agree with Tim, and did the same last year on the Camino Frances. I used too big a rucksack (50+ litres) and filled it with too much heavy stuff I didn't use (and ended up throwing away).

Think of your camino as a 25 km day-hike. The only difference is that you're doing it 30 +/- days in a row. What you absolutely need is all you should pack - if you end up not using it every day, it's just extra weight. Extra weight hurts - the ankles, the knees, the hips, the shoulders and the tendons in the legs. It can turn a dream walk into a nightmare, so when you purchase stuff for your Camino, do it based on every-day need and light weight. A 35 litre rucksack should be ample, anything bigger and you'll just fill it with stuff you don't really need.

I'm walking the Via Podiensis in September and my pack is not going to be more than 6 or 7 kg (including a litre = 1 kg of water), and I think there's still room to cut that down.

Buen camino - wish I'd walked it when I was 20. You're in for the experience of a lifetime!

Some take a larger pack so that they do not have to squash the bread and food purchased along the way, then show the self-discipline not to fill it when leaving home, resulting in a pack that can be carried comfortable, but with a little extra space when space is needed. Perhaps you can do that.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have been on the forum for a month or so now but I never introduced myself. I walked the CF in 2009, the CP in 2010 and I will be walking the North trail from mid September this year 2011. :D

I am hooked. Walking the Camino Frances was like being is the best place at the best time of my life. I really think it was the trail not the time in my life. How liberating, how peaceful. I hope that all of you who are heading out for the first time have a safe and happy journey.

no blisters allowed!
http://www.planningyourcamino.blogspot.com

Hey there everyone,

my name is Verena, I am 20 years old and will continue with my Camino in March.
Last year in summer I walked from Saint Jean Pied de Port to León, where I stopped because of some physical issues. This year I want to reach Santiago (fingers crossed) and then walk to Cape Finisterre and Muxía. So looking forward!

Maybe some facts about me, I am from Germany and study Clinical linguistics in 1st year (but I am not that happy with my choice, and will hopefully find my way on the Camino...)

May the road rise to meet you.

Beverley, you are so right . . . . . the camino is such a wonderful thing to do,and it means a lot to so many different people. I love the liberating freedom of life on the way, the simplicity, the joy in meeting like minded people from all over. :p

Verena, welcome to the Forum. You can find answers to almost everything camino related here, and have fun sharing your experiences. Best wishes for this year's trek. :D

Buen camino. Carole
:arrow:

€60,-
Edwina said:
Hi Everyone, my name's Edwina (from Australia) and I've finally decided that 2011 is the year I walk the Camino. I first need to clear the dates with work but I'm hoping to begin my walk from SJPP in late August.

I'm so glad I've come across this forum. There's so much knowledge here that's going to come in handy.

August can't come soon enough.

:)
Edwina, Im leave Aust on 4/8 to walk the Camino, Im based in Melbourne, fly to Paris, then fly to Biarritz, o/night, the train SJPP early, then walk to Orisson, if you need to chat and meet up, please advise.
Peter

Hi All,

I have been on and off the forum since I started planning my first Camino last March. The wonderful help I received during those initial months was a godsend!

I completed the Camino Francés last July and have since become quite a forum addict. Not always actively participating but rather reading up on various topics. It was especially wonderful following everyone's Via de la Plata blog this past fall.

There is no turning back - I have booked my flight to Sevilla and so now am officially a member of the Class of 2011!

I arrive in Sevilla on July 7th and will most likely start the next day. I'm not sure how many brave (or crazy) forum members will be joining me on the route this summer. I hope that I won't be alone!

Cheers,
LT

Sevilla hit 104 degrees Fahrenheit last July 7. Think hydration, and have fun!

Hi I'm Josh, and I'm currently living in Madrid teaching English in the mountains just north of the city. I'm planning on doing a slightly unconventional camino on the Camino Frances. Since I work Tuesday through Friday, I'm planning on walking in chunks on weekends and during school holidays, a few stages here, a few more there, until I reach Santiago. I'm planning on starting in SJPDP on February 25 and I'm going to finish probably some time in June. Hopefully the weather will permit me to start in SJPDP; we're getting snow in the mountains in Madrid this weekend, so I can only imagine what it's like further north! Hopefully I'll meet some of you on the camino!

I am Jane from Texas, US. I plan on starting in SJPDP around May 10th. I will be alone, was wondering if anyone else will be starting about that time?

Hi Josh and Jane and good luck!!

Ticket booked.
Sabbatical and all paperstuff ( work ) arranged.
All gear bought.
New Lowas completely broken in.
Walking and walking and practising ( and getting funny looks from neighbours when they see me pass with my backpack ).
Weekly visits to my physiotherapist ...my new best friend...:)

And getting bl**dy more nervous by the day... .
See you somewhere in April and May along the way...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hey Everyone,

After a full year of college, I decided it was time to take a break and return to Spain to walk another route. I completed the Camino Frances in 2009 and now going back for a second round. Which route? Don't know at this point - I will find out when I get there.

Mike Vander

Greetings to everyone I like Mike's idea that he will decide once he is in Spain which route to take. Myself plan on doing a few combined routes hopefully. Will start in Lourdes France and move on the Camino Frances to Leon. From there go to San Salvador and then continue on the Camino Primitivo. Last year I did the Camino Norte although tough nevertheless it was enjoyable and breath taking. But plans can change once I am on the road nothing is written in stone it's good to be free to decide if things don't as planned. Buen Camino to all.
n. :shock:

Hi All,

I´ve just bought my ticket and am getting really excited about my second Camino. I am doing the Camino Frances again, starting in Pamplona this time, on May 10th. I am in my 60´s and usually walk solo, so to any apprehensive first-timers I would just like to say "don´t worry, and pack light"!
Buen Camino.
Sandra :arrow:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
W :D W!
I have bought my plane ticket to Charles de Gaule (Paris) and i'm proud to say that i already booked my first 2 nights (SJPP+refuge Orisson). Yes, i will start slowly. I'm just kind of worry about my physical health... I've start walking a little bit but there's a lot of snow in Québec at this time of year... I'm worry that i will not have enough days before leaving at the beginning of may. It's my main concern right now. My pack is also pretty full, i had to buy a lot of stuff. You know "the lighter the pricier" :lol:

I hope to see some of you soon!
Marjorie

Lovely to meet all of you . . . . maybe some of us will see each other along the way. Even though this is not our first camino, I'm nervous too, Sabine, about being fit enough to walk from Huelva to Zafra then up the Vdlp to Santiago, but also about organising our home so that it's "nice" for our return. (really important for me to downgrade the "post camino blues"). I'm working on it . . . . 2 months to go.

Marjorie, yes starting slow, building up the kms each day for 4 or 5 days, is a great idea, maybe only 10-14 km for first day, though not always easy to arrange on the less travelled routes. Our second day out from Huelva is 27km, too much for us so early, so we plan to pre walk part of it during the the couple of days before our official start. That's the plan.....

...... and remembering to pack light!!
Buen camino everyone.

I am nervous too, about the fitness, so I walk and walk.... :)
But it is always like that before the start; afraid of not having walked enough on forehand.

I am Vigdis, 58, from Norway.
I have walked the camino Frances before, in stages, but I am starting it again the 10th of March. The main reason is that I "cheated" a bit the very first time by taking the bus here and there, so it just feels like I have to do it again. I also started in Puente la Reina, this time in Roncesvalles. I will walk to Burgos, then I just have to see if I will continue the same road the next time, or if I will go for one of the others caminos.

Just 3 1/2 weeks away, - can't wait! :D
(but afraid of the journey too...)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Returning to the camino. First choice was Camino del Norte but for health reasons will go for a second round at the Camino Frances, this time starting at SJPdP, at the end of April along with two Mexican friends.

Tickets purchased, backpack almost ready, physical preparation underway, boots being broken in, reservations for taxi & first two nights sent in. Am I forgetting anything? Can't wait!!!

Hope to say hi & buen camino to some of you! :arrow:

Lillian, greetings if starting in SJPP, I hope you are staying at L'esprit du Chemin great place food excellent and owners good people I volunteered there last May. Enjoy the Camino.
Buen Camino,
n.

3 of us are starting off from SJPDP on 27 April. We arrive on the 26th at 3.30 pm at Biarritz and then make our way to SJPDP, probably arriving late afternoon. Our second night will be at Roncesvalles. What I have gathered from this forum is that most pilgrims have booked their first 2 nights, which is something we haven't done as I would rather go with the flow and see what happens along the way. Is this essential or should we find accommodation fairly easily at that time of the year?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just purchased my plane tickets--leave the U.S. Aug 16 and plan to begin walking from SJPP by Aug 19. Have been following this site for the last three years and taking notes on equipment, places, things, people, and am very grateful for all the good advice I have received. While friends and family are very apprehensive and skeptical of a 60-year old facing all the variables, because of the honesty and integrity of the people on this forum purchasing that ticket fills me with both excitement and peace. I will continue to keep up with the forum and look forward to a time when I will have experiences to share with others. Thanks again to all who post here!

Greetings, folks!

I will be walking the Camino francés in September/October of 2011. I'll be starting from St. Jean Pied-de-Port, or maybe a few days before SJPP in order to get my "Camino legs" before encountering the Pyrenees. My Camino has been six years in the making and it feels good to see it so close now.

I look forward to chatting with you.

Ivor Lockhart

Lillian great to see you again and to all the Class of 2011,

Gosh, the spring comes the Camino calls and the Way begins to blossom with the new and the veterans of the Way.

How grand that the Camino calls across the entire world...for whatever reason we come, we find and we complete however many kms along the Way...more often than not all the Way to SDC.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Spring has come at long last to this little country that the Romans called Hibernia (Land of Winter). So I'm out pounding the pavements and busy getting bits and pieces ready. I'm starting Pamplona 4th May and hope to meet some of you on the way.
Buen Camino to all who have already started.
Lydia

Good luck to all of you!!
Little setback here : big angry truck kissed my poor little Fiat and now my back is a bit shaky ( was already in treatment with physio for my back ). Normally all will be back ok with me in couple of weeks with the right excercises. Walking goes well but not allowed to train with full backpack. So I guess the first week on my Camino will be an easy affair...Still starting on 12th of April.
Wish I could put my physiotherapist in my backpack!! 8)

Buen camino everyone..... enjoy all your various caminos. Isn't it exciting?

Thinking of you Sabine and sending you lots and lots of positive thoughts. We start from Huelva on 25th April..... and I have sooooo much to do before then!!!! May see some of you in SdC....

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Everyone, Not too long for me to go either. We'll arrive in SJPDP on 9 April anyone else heading off around then?

To Sabine, I sympathise with your back pain, I hurt my back last weekend (picking up a frypan - bah housework!!) so have not trained this week and am hesitating about putting my backpack on just yet :(

But still, I'll have to put up with some discomfort on the Camino anyway won't I ;)

Anyway I'm excited now and it's still quite a few weeks away. I'm finding it hard to keep my head focused on the here and now. I'm still waiting for my guidebook to arrive and I saw a copy in a little local shop yesterday (at twice the price) so I had to have a few quick peeks.

Regards & Buen Camino

Sharni

Sharni,

From a quick check on the Pilgrim Calendar is appears that you and Sabine will be close at the beginning. I'd be willing to bet that you link up within the first few days.

Enjoy your Camino,

Arn

hi Carole and Sharni, thaks for the positive thoughts and wishes...the same goes for you both too...
Yes, sharni...maybe we will meet " en route "...

Hi, my name is Virve and I come from Finland. 53 yo female. I am starting my camino on June 30 by taking the plane from Helsinki to Barcelona.

At this point I am thinking to start from Roncesvalles and walk to León, as last year I walked in a group from León to Santiago. It was so great that when arriving to Santiago I decided to come back as soon as possible. This time I am doing this solo.

I will take the train to Pamplona right after arriving Barcelona, but think I have to stay one night in Pamlona. I am just wondering if I can use my credencial then, even if I take a morning bus to Roncesvalles the next day and start my walking from there?

Is here anyone starting her/his way from Barcelona on the same day?

Last time I was planning to do the camino it was lack of courage that stopped me. Going by several trains in a country where I don't know a word of the language became too much for me (starting from Le Puy). It turned out though that I was reallly glad I had cancelled. This was last September, I would have got stuck in Paris not getting any further because of a major strike going on, with all the trains standing.

I told you I'll be walking the camino from Roncesvalles in the beginning of March, leaving the firstcoming Thursday actually. I can't go, due to illness in the family. Nothing very serious, still of such a matter that I have to stay home and be a support.

Maybe I will be able to do the trip later this year.
If not: The camino won't go away.
There is always another change.

Anyway; Buen camino to the rest of you! :)

Virve, there is a fellow by the name of Jeremiah who is walking around that time. You'll find him in the group Camino 2011. Best wishes.

€60,-
I will be meeting my German friend Hermann and starting from SJPdP on March 24th. I hope to be in Santiago for Easter. The calendar does not indicate too many starts from SJPdP at that time but I am sure it will pick up as we get closer to Easter.

it will pick up as we get closer to Easter.

Indeed it will. With Easter rather late this year it truly will presage the "greening" of the Camino. A beautiful time to be walking the Way. The weather remains rather cool, a bit wet...but invigorating all the same.

Welcome...and Buen Camino,

Arn

Hello to all! I will be starting my Camino from Burgos on March 29. Although I am new to the group, I have been reading a lot on the General Issues (don't remember the exact name) and have found a lot of helpful advice. I am from Puerto Rico, hope to cross paths with some of you along the Way!

Enriquealfonso...welcome to the Forum and to the Class of 2011!

I see you've been going over the many sections/links of the Forum and encourage you to also consider the following:

Pilgrim FAQ at the top right of the page

Camino Calendar at the bottom right so you can see whom else may be on the Camino at the same time.

Burgos is a great place to start and as you meander along the Meseta you will have plenty of time to enjoy miles and miles of miles and miles.

Buen Camino

Arn

Arn said:
Burgos is a great place to start

I highly recommend taking the Segway tour around the city - it was a blast. I did an hour for around 30 Euros back in 2007 w/two guides who ended up giving me a cool tour with some extra time at no charge...buen Camino! :arrow:

Hola fellow peregrinos!
My name is Susan and I'll finally be hiking on the Camino in April of this year! Very excited and spending lots of time getting gear and researching! Still trying to determine which route ( either Frances from St. Jean or El Salvador Leon-Oviedo and then Primativo Oviedo to Santiago). Am getting a little concerned I may not see any pilgrims on the el Salvador or Primativo ( plus the weather in the mountains) so am starting to look at Frances. Plan will be to start somewhere between 6-13th April. Sharne ..seems like you will be starting around then so perhaps we will meet!

I'll be taking my time at a leisurely pace and am very excited to get started!! Also a little anxious about conditioning etc but am so looking forward to the introspection that daily walking brings! Hearing a freedom song..ha!

Buen camino and peace to all this day!
Susan

€149,-
SabineP said:
hi Carole and Sharni, thaks for the positive thoughts and wishes...the same goes for you both too...
Yes, sharni...maybe we will meet " en route "...

Hi SabineP
My name is Susan and I am considering starting on the Frances around the same time as you and Sharni. So sorry to hear of your run in with the truck but wishing you a consistent and steady recovery! Perhaps we'll meet along the way! Sending healing and peacefulness your way!
Susan

Hi Sabine and Susan, Yes, we could potentially meet up enroute that would be nice - listen out for the Australian accent :wink:
I hope everyone's training, planning and packing is coming along nicely, I am looking for items to leave behind as I have obviously packed too many "just in case" things :shock:
Not long now :D
Regards Sharni

Sharni said:
Hi Sabine and Susan, Yes, we could potentially meet up enroute that would be nice - listen out for the Australian accent :wink:
I hope everyone's training, planning and packing is coming along nicely, I am looking for items to leave behind as I have obviously packed too many "just in case" things :shock:
Not long now :D
Regards Sharni

Hi Sharni
Seems we both may be online at the moment. Yes if I decide to travel this way I'll look for the Aussie accent. I'll be sporting a southern slang from North America ( southern US in Atlanta) mixed in with my butchering of Spanish. Hoping it will return as I lived in southern Spain back in 95-98..eons ago but I work with some Spanish speaking families in my job so tend to get by.

Will you be traveling to Madrid and then over by taxi from Rondevelles? Need to research this as I was planning on just taking the train to Leon and starting on the e lSalvador from there. Ye gads..so much to do and I leave in 4 days for Peru! Will then have only a week at home to finalize my pack, etc. This stress is a GOOD stress but like you,,,what do I really need, etc? Anyway....best of luck with the planning and prep and perhaps we'll share a vino or cafe con leche enroute. All my best--Susan

Hi Sharni and Susan,

This is all getting very real isn't? You two will be a couple of days in front of me and considering I'm a sloooowwwww Belgiam I probably will not meet up with you but you never know.....
Will travel via Zaragoza to Pamplona and then bus to Roncesvalles for starting the 12th of April.
Still lots to organise at work before my sabbatical and training of course. Tomorrow after two weeks of " light " walking due to my accident back to full backpack walking.

Will glue the forumbadge on my backpack and keep looking out for you guys!!! Good luck and buen camino.
Sabine

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.