• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2011

This is such a great forum!
I will be starting my Camino on July 5 from Roncesvalles. I have been wanting to walk the Camino for years now, ever since I lived in Spain and first heard about it in 1990! Finally, I have a month in summer free. I will be flying from Hong Kong to Paris on July 3 and will switch to the night train to Dax, changing to Bayonne and then changing to SJPDP and arriving at about half past nine am. I only have 26 full walking days and want to reach SDC, so will get a passport in SJPDP and take a taxi to Roncesvalles on July 4. Two days walking to Pamplona, a bus to Santo Domingo and then walk the rest of the Camino. Sad to have to use the bus at first, but much better this way than to keep on waiting and waiting for a time when I may (never) have 5 weeks free. Excited! Nervous! Worried about the heat in spite of having spent the last 10 years in tropical Asia!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi all!! Am in library in Estella, walked a little bit more than planned since albergue in Villatuerta was closed. And I met Susan from the forum in Villatuerta!!! So nice!!!!!

Stayed in Obanos yesterday and today staying in the parroquial of Estella.

Speak soon and good luck to everyone!!!

Buen Camino!!

Hi Sabine,
The same thing happened to me in Sept 2007 I was so wrecked when I arrived in Estella that the Hospiladero came around the desk and took my ruck off my back for me. They were so very kind and caring in Anfas. In fact I stayed in Estella a second night to recover from my too long walk that day
just part of being a pilgrim..

Buen Camino Sabine,

Lydia

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Swallow, I feel your excitement good for you. I hope we hear more from you on this forum, like what is your 20 year story? :)

Simdel, you are doing what is right for you. I am thrilled for you that you will make the journey. Santo Domingo is a beautiful town so hopefully you will hvae time to be a "tourist pilgrim" if you get an early bus. The Albergue is a "Palace" no joke. I stayed there in 2009 in May and it had just opened in April or March. It is spectacular indeed. Also, you must visit the Roosters in the cathedral there. The story of the roosters along the Caminos are plentyfull but they all have the same theme. But in Santo Domingo they keep Roosters in the Cathedral and the farmers in the area compete to have their birds chosen for the honor.

The stories, if you haven't heard them go something like this, (I take liberties here)
there is an innocent person who has been wrongly convicted of a crime. (Someone steals something or runs away with someone's daughter :shock: ) They are captured and are to be hung at dawn :roll: There is always a bigshot who is eating eggs the next morning around the time of the hanging and they have been told the man is innosent and a mirical will happen to confirm his innosence. Well sure enough the eggs turn into chickens and the man is saved. The wrongly accused man usually ends up becoming a Saint and that is why Chickens are in the cathedral in SD and Portugal has large chicken statues all over the place. :D
Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm getting into Camino mode as I make my way to Europe in two days, visit family in Germany and then make my way to Le Puy en Velay via Lyon. The plan is to start Camino number 3 from Le Puy on April 26. Hope to meet other forum members along the way.

Good on ya...and times two days and a wake up!

Take a gander at the Pilgrim Calendar and see if any other pilgrims will be starting near/with you. Not a bad idea to hook up when possible.

As a veteran pilgrim along the Way...you'll have valuable insight to share.

Buen Camino

Arn

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello! Writing from Najera! Have met lots of lovely people and very glad I came to do this. It's not half as scary as I had imagined, to come by yourself that is. Maybe I'll see some of you down the road!

Hi Everyone, I am in Ages (tomorrow Burgos) so far the weather has been good but a late shower/storm yesterday and today. Look after your feet as I have blisters now and they hurt :cry: . The people are great and so far every Albergue has been clean and has had pillows. So I am regreting carrying around my pillow, water bladder, plate and head lamp I would like to leave these items behind but I don´t know what is ahead :?

Hi All...currently on the Way!

It's a real gas to go back and reread your many tales of trial and tribulation leading up to your Camino and...NOW...read about all the many good, and sometimes painful, experiences you now share.

These "real time" updates are valuable to those just behind you.

Please keep us all in the loop as you make your Way to SDC.

Saludos,

Arn

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Luce and Sharni,

I can just imagine you over there. I'll be on my way in 12 days time.

Buen Camino to you both

Lydia

Today I walked from Morille into Salamanca on a delightful mornings walk. The forecast was fro rain but it has held off until now, about 5PM. So in 22 days of walking I have had about 4 hours of rain spread over 2 days, just wonderful. I guess the first thing to say is that the numbers of pilgrims have dropped off greatly and I have had no trouble getting a bed since getting past Galisteo. I do not see many during the day and it is usually the same people you spend each night with. The best albergue yet was at Toremejia, and my Dutch walking companion of that time described it as the Parador of Albergues. The worst was at Aldeanueva which after a long 39 km walk we found was dirty with waste baskets still full, the floor was grotty and the was no hot water. I am told it was in the same condition the next day as well- I went to the Hostal Montesol at the far end of town and got my own room with ensuite and HOT water for a pilgrim price of 15 euros.And I have to give a `plug for the great little albergue we stayed in last night at Morille. Only 3 double bunks, so they dont come much smaller, but the bar next door did the usual 3 course meal with style and penache. There is no choice in the courses, you just eat what is put in front of you, but we enjoyed it immensely, we being a Frenchman from Alsace, an American from Washington D.C., and 2 Aussies a long way from home.
Thats it for now, will post some more when the opportunity arrives.
Buen camino

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Hola Alan. Glad to hear all is going well.
Sharon

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hey Alan, glad you're enjoying you camino, and it's great you got to witness the semana santa in Salamanca. Good information to know about the albergues too!

We're arriving in Madrid on Monday a.m. and taking the train to Huelva and then we're off! Carole H will be a couple of days ahead of us, but we'll meet up somewhere.

Anxious to get going, and hope the rainy weather doesn't continue! I'm looking at what I wrote and I think my anxiety is destroying my ability to write a coherent sentence!

lynne

Hello from Costa Rica (PURA VIDA),

Me and a good friend are planning our first Camino for next month (May) and very excited about the journey. This forum has been wonderful for advice and information. We` look forward to meeting new places and faces. Still in the process of selecting good hiking shoes and back packs. The hardest part has been finding a good ticket price from San Jose to Madrid..think we'll have to bite the bullet on that one and just pay.
Good luck to all and hope to meet soon.

Michael

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello from Bristol!

I am starting the Camino in St. Jean Pied de Port on the 9th of May. The plan is to walk the Northern route to Santiago in roughly 26 days. I am now starting to feel pretty nervous about the overall distance but I've been walking 20 odd miles a day without too much problem on the coast of the UK albeit not for many consecutive days. I would be really keen to get some feedback from people who have already done it - is this overly ambitious?!!

Look forward to meeting people on the way!

Paddy

Irun to Santiago de Compostela is generally 34 days (854 km), and you don't say how you will get from St.-Jean-Pied-de-Port to the Camino del Norte. Twenty mile walks are excellent training, but you will be surprised at the cumulative effect as the days pass. Good luck, and have fun!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
mikecr said:
Hello from Costa Rica (PURA VIDA),

Hello Michael - There aren't many who walk the Camino coming from Costa Rica - so join the Club! Most years they average approx. 30 Pilgrims. Two years ago I met a lady Tica cyclist from Cartago, who recognised my "Costa Rica" emblem on the back of my pack. It's very difficult to get decent equipment here (sometimes I buy in a tienda Ropa Americana), sometimes I borrow and sometimes I'm just fortunate to visit one of the few shops when new things have just arrived. Boots are easier to find. I had my backpack brought to me from the US, as 5 years ago there just wasn't ANYTHING! Sleeping bag ¢10.000 from Mas x Menos (for all you readers this is a chain supermarket here in Costa Rica - I mean a supermarket - not a sports equipment shop)! Get in touch - I sent you a PM! Anne

mikecr said:
Hello from Costa Rica (PURA VIDA), The hardest part has been finding a good ticket price from San Jose to Madrid..think we'll have to bite the bullet on that one and just pay.
Good luck to all and hope to meet soon. Michael
>
>
This year we'll walk the Camino Francès for the nth time. (september-October)
We fly IB to Madrid and connect to Pamplona, then return from Santiago dC via Madrid. The rates have always been good value, since the connecting times in Madrid are excellent and the whole trip is less tiring (than some cheaper flights with several stops). We have 8 hours time difference, which requires recuperation of jetlag during various days.

Hi Sabine,
I'm following you and thinking of you. Thanks for the tips.

Buen Camino Lydia

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi All, I am in El Burgo Ranero now so Leon the day after tomorrow :) The weather is still lovely but the Albergues are starting to fill up early!! We have been 2nd and 3rd last in Hornillos (dirty Albergue but best Pilgrims meal yet in the pub across the roadand also here. We lost our way coming into Burgos as did many other Pilgrims so pay attention to the yellow arrows and guide books!!

Hi everyone!

I'm starting my Camino from St. Jean Pied de Port on the 10th of May and I'm really excited about this journey :) I'm travelling alone for the first time in my life and it actually worries me more than a little bit :? I'm looking forward meeting new people but also spending time alone during walking. Is there anyone else who is coming from Lourdes on the 9th of May? I'm travelling from Finland via London (Standsted) with Ryanair. It would be nice to find someone who's travelling to St. Jean Pied de Port on that same day.

Buen Camino! :)

Popli said:
Hi everyone!

I'm starting my Camino from St. Jean Pied de Port on the 10th of May and I'm really excited about this journey :) I'm travelling alone for the first time in my life and it actually worries me more than a little bit :? I'm looking forward meeting new people but also spending time alone during walking. Is there anyone else who is coming from Lourdes on the 9th of May? I'm travelling from Finland via London (Standsted) with Ryanair. It would be nice to find someone who's travelling to St. Jean Pied de Port on that same day.

Buen Camino! :)

Lähden itse matkalle vasta 30.6. mutta toivottelen sinulle hyvää matkaa. Et varmaan kadu päätöstäsi. :D Kävelin viime vuonna Leonista Santiagoon. Jos sinulla on aineesta jotain kysyttävää niin laita viesti minulle. Yritän vastata parhaani mukaan - tosin tämä nettisivu kertoo lähes kaiken.
t. Virve

and same in English: I will start my Camino June 30 but I wish you a great time during yours. Last year I walked from LeĂłn to Santiago, so if you have any questions I will be happy to answer - allthough this website will tell you everything you need to know. Virve :lol:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ok it is official, I really am part of the class of 2011! Just bought my ticket and now I'm a wreck! And this from someone who's done a short part of the Camino Portuguese!! Esh! So ya'll please say a prayer, I've got 10 days and a wake up!

ksam said:
So ya'll please say a prayer, I've got 10 days and a wake up!

Hi, I will and good luck.

Feel nervous myself now, committed to the 21st september to walk the Primitivo. Will start from La Isla to try and walk myself in before the hills. Will have 23 days so there is no rush, but hopefully will have time and energy to get to Finistera and Muxia.

Mike

Hey Mike, I think I'm calming down. I don't easily spend large amounts of money without getting queasy! Make sure you blog/post when you do the Primitivo, thats another one I'd love to do. But, guess I should get this one solidly under my belt first before I start making lists of other future Caminos! :roll:

Buen Camino, Karin

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
joining the wrecks here, am walking the priitivo in seven weeks and an ankle injury has kept me on the couch for the last 3 weeks now and still has not gotten better...

so IF i'm walking, there will have been no such thing as a lot of training for it... :|

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims, I will be working as a volunteer hospitalero in Najera from 11 to 22 June, then travelling to San Sebastian about 25km from Irun then walking Del Norte and Primitivo until end of July. Reading this Forum I am sure some of us will be meeting up on The Way :lol:
To my friend Joy, OJ, the Other Joy, I wish you Buen Camino on the Frances for the 29th May.
Joy

Good luck Joy, will try and post you the rest of the info as soon as possible. I liked the Najera municipal hostal, stayed in a hotel that night, but walked over there to see some friends, there was a couple of people playing guitars and some singing, a really relaxed place.

Mike

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Pieces said:
joining the wrecks here, am walking the priitivo in seven weeks and an ankle injury has kept me on the couch for the last 3 weeks now and still has not gotten better...

so IF i'm walking, there will have been no such thing as a lot of training for it...

Hi Pieces,

I had a similar build up to my first camino. I developed Celluitis in my right leg in early march(10) 4 months before i was due to walk, because for some reason all the scans werent showing it up and they couldnt get any cultures to grow, they had to open up my right thigh, I have a lovely 5 inch scar down the inside of it now. For a couple of months afterwards i felt it hard to walk around on. When i did eventually get out to do some training in early may i found after my 1st day training that my right foot had swollen up, and one of my bones in it was cracking, not quite sure how that happened, i didnt feel any pain at the time, didnt train again untill 3 weeks before i was due to walk.

I have had a lot of ankle injuries, i just hope for you that the time before you walk is enough. If you do walk, have real easy first few days, short etapas. Be wary of swelling, if you can, cold compressions at the start and end of each day.

Buen Camino

Mike

Thanks Mike :)

I actuallt just went for a testwalk (a short 3km) and the ankle seems to be fairly fine for walking even if still a bit sore when trying to flex it. However, I had the "luck" of developing bursitis in my hip from walking on the bad ankle, and that one is no better, so Im back on the couch for the day a least (but with lots of choclate :p )...

Suppose it was my own fault, when it started hurting I just kept walking thinking on the Camino it will be no use to sit down and cry at every ache and pain, and thus developed all sorts of strange ailments in the process :evil:

P - not even sure she learned anything :lol:

Ahh Mike & Pieces...you really do a girls heart good!! So me...I've gotta neuroma..had a bunch of cortisone shots and am using a few mechanical aids! We are a mess, aren't we! And yet...we walk, we the few, the brave, the crazy! You really do make me feel calmer, 'cause everyone here thinks I really am nuts !

Buen Camino, and take it slow...one single step at a time! Karin

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
well...

I suppose there is no shame in crawling into Santiago if one is unable to stand on ones own feet :D

P - did look at bike rentals today just in case she was also unable to crawl...

Stayed in Obanos yesterday and today staying in the parroquial of Estella.

How was the albergue in Estella?

ksam said:
Ahh Mike & Pieces...you really do a girls heart good!! So me...I've gotta neuroma..had a bunch of cortisone shots and am using a few mechanical aids! We are a mess, aren't we! And yet...we walk, we the few, the brave, the crazy! You really do make me feel calmer, 'cause everyone here thinks I really am nuts !

Hi karin,

I hope you have a great time, pity i am not walking soon, if i saw you in Santiago if give you a big hug and smile :D
Pieces said:
Suppose it was my own fault, when it started hurting I just kept walking thinking on the Camino it will be no use to sit down and cry at every ache and pain,

Hi Pieces but dont hold back if you really feel you need to have a good sob, i did it one day on the norte, everything came together at once, my boots werent working, i was feeling ill, i was lost and few other things, i just sat down and let it all out. It losened me up, i took the camino as it came after that. So if you really have too, let it out.

Mike

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Plane tickets now bought. Meenakshi, my 15 year old daughter, and I will be walking the Camino Ingles from October 23rd. We've got limited time in the school holidays, so we're walking from A Coruna. It should be very different from my previous Camino, the Levante a couple of years ago - really looking forward to it.

Andy

Congrats Andy & Meenakshi! I'm very excited and a little nervous...leaving next week! Of course todays news doesn't help any. The US has apparently and not surprisingly just issued a travel advisory, which...has the hubby a bit concerned. Have to say though that Spain has always seemed for me to be one of the safest places to travel. All in all, I'm going to pay attention, use my smarts and most of all...give it all over to someone a whole lot bigger than me!

Go well Karin. I'm sure things will be fine with travel. And the Camino is all about risk in all sorts of deep and important ways,

Andy

€60,-
Hi Pieces,

I sympathise with you. I think my ankle and knee are ganging up against me and trying to tell me to stay at home, but I am off tomorrow morning early.

For the past few weeks I keep losing things, like the birthday present I bought for my husband, my pilgrim passport, my carefully prepared medication, I even managed to delete an article I had written for the parish bulletin and had to rewrite it.

Now I am all packed but have reached the danger zone of thinking 'maybe this would be useful',or 'maybe that would come in handy sometime'. So I am sitting here at the computer so that I do not enter into temptation.

I start in Pamplona on Wednesday May 4th, and will meet up with Carol from Australia there and hopefully will meet up with some more of you on the way.

Buen Camino to you all.

If the gale that is blowing from the East at the moment keeps up we will all be in Santiago in no time
|Lydia

good going Lydia !

I have no intention of staying home either, hopefully we will both make it, and not need anything amputated afterwards :D

in any case, there are always bikes (supposing crawling will not be an option for you with a bad knee :D )

anyways, I am sure everything will work out wonderfull for you, just keep sitting on those hands, and if they escape only let them bring disposable extras :wink:

Buen Camino

Pieces & Lydia, Buen Camino! I just had a thought, we could all get those hand type bicycles. That way all our achey bits and pieces can rest while we get a fab upper body work out!

OR...If their going to amputate...it'll save on the surgery I'll eventually wind up with anyway! Probably cheaper too! :shock:

Lydia, have a great trip tomorrow! I'll be thinking of you...a whole week ahead of me! :mrgreen:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In Ponferrada tonight, the Albergue is nice. The weather has been very kind to us and the wildflowers are stunning. To those of you who are leaving soon and planning your gear - don´t pack too much, resist the temptation to add things - you really can buy things here and you don´t need much. Look after your feet!! Use vaseline and cover with tape if sore. Keep on walking. Buen Camino

Beverley said:
Simdel, you are doing what is right for you. I am thrilled for you that you will make the journey. Santo Domingo is a beautiful town so hopefully you will hvae time to be a "tourist pilgrim" if you get an early bus. The Albergue is a "Palace" no joke. I stayed there in 2009 in May and it had just opened in April or March. It is spectacular indeed. Also, you must visit the Roosters in the cathedral there. The story of the roosters along the Caminos are plentyfull but they all have the same theme. But in Santo Domingo they keep Roosters in the Cathedral and the farmers in the area compete to have their birds chosen for the honor.

The stories, if you haven't heard them go something like this, (I take liberties here)
there is an innocent person who has been wrongly convicted of a crime. (Someone steals something or runs away with someone's daughter :shock: ) They are captured and are to be hung at dawn :roll: There is always a bigshot who is eating eggs the next morning around the time of the hanging and they have been told the man is innosent and a mirical will happen to confirm his innosence. Well sure enough the eggs turn into chickens and the man is saved. The wrongly accused man usually ends up becoming a Saint and that is why Chickens are in the cathedral in SD and Portugal has large chicken statues all over the place. :D
Buen Camino

Thank you Beverley for the great information. Your story is really interesting and I am all the more excited to be starting the main stage of the Way from Santo Domingo! :)

New member here, just posted a rather lengthy introduction. Planning on reaching St Jean on 19th September and actually starting out on the Camino on the 21st.

Heading out next week for my first Camino

I am so excited... This week I completed the final steps for my retirement of my corporate career - turned in my assets, and signed the paperwork. Now, just getting some last minute items for my journey, and I will be heading out to Madrid next Tuesday, and should be taking my first Camino steps next Thursday or Friday.

I want to take this opportunity to all of you who have posted on this forum - I have learned a lot from your sharing of information, and I hope upon my return I can in turn, help others !

My blog will be updated as often as I have wifi access -
http://www.sylviehanes.ca

Buen Camino to all who are heading out!
Sylvie (Aldy)

Hi everyone! I have been reading all the great advice and information on this forum for the last couple of months. I'll be starting my first camino on May 20. Maybe the 21 if i choose to stay a day in Madrid after landing. I'm trying to keep an open mind and take the trip as it comes since time isn't really a limitation for me.

Anyway, just wanted to thank everybody for all the wonderful advice posted on these forums and I look forward to being a part of the class of 2011!

Jon

€60,-
Buen Camino Jon! I'm off tomorrow...so say one for me! :)

Hello All! I am from upstate New York, and will be walking the Camino beginning in early July and hopefully ending in mid-August. I know that's the busiest time, which I am not thrilled about, but I am a school teacher, and that's when I can get two months off!
I am planning to walk Camino Frances, but I am nervous about all the crowds, and I might end up walking Camino del Norte. I have no desire to rush and compete, and from what I have been reading, it is a common problem. I plan to begin from SJPDP. Any advice or pointers?
Cheers!

You are likely to enjoy either one. On the Camino Frances use mental discipline to stay out of the bed race. Most of the time everyone gets a bed even as hundreds worry about getting one! The smaller towns will have beds when the cities are full, so you may want to contemplate just visiting the big places instead of staying in them. Give up incompatible goals, and the stress may disappear. You cannot 1) sleep late; 2) walk all day; 3) stay with a group of friends you have made; 4) tour a big city all day; and 5) get a lower bunk. You may have to pick a single objective. If you are still worried, start early and stop early. There always will be early risers, so instead of resenting them, join them. You will have time for an afternoon siesta! Have fun!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you very much for your feedback -- it does help put my mind a bit more at ease. I am, by nature, an very early riser, so waking up with the others will not be an issue! I am leaning more towards the Camino Frances, as this is my first Camino and I'd like to see the most famous route. Also, the landscape of the Frances will be rather new to me, whereas I lived for a long time in an area similar to the landscape of the Camino del Norte.

I have been wanting to walk the Camino for years, and now that it's less than two months away, I can't even believe it! I've been preparing and training for the last two years and, despite multiple setbacks (my husband had major surgery, I came down with walking pneumonia, etc.), I have persevered. I'm still so nervous that something will happen and I'll have to postpone it again. But the thought of being on the Camino is keeping me going!

Thanks again for your advice, it is much appreciated :D

Hi all, just had a planning meeting with my Buddy Nick, that i will be walking with.

We are two Aussie's that will be leaving SJPdP on Tuesday 6th September. we have set aside 40 days for the walk... yahoo!!!

I tried to figure out the calendar below, with no luck.. i'm not very computer savvy.

we are sooo excited. We have booked the first night in Orisson and are working on getting that pack weight down. All the foot care stuff and toiletries are so heavy!!

Still tying to figure out how to book the train from Paris on 5th September?

i look forward to meeting some of you on "the way".

kind regards julie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello Julie, We might just meet, because we leave Roncevalles on 7th Sept and are slow walkers, so you will probably overtake us! Look for a badge from Costa Rica sewn to our packs! A hint to reduce weight for toiletries, etc. DON´T take large hard plastic bottles. Either use small tubes of, for instance, sun protection cream. For shampoo , either decanter some into a very small plastic bottle or take these sachets that you find free of charge in hotels (start saving them now). You can always stock up again on the Way. I buy a bar of soap for laundry and cut it in half. A half a bar lasts the 40 days and that´s for 2 of us! Once I bought detergent in powder form, took what I estimated I would need until Santiago and left the remaining bulk at the Albergue where I was staying. As far as medicines are concerned, if it´s not a daily needed prescription one, just take a couple of pills, sachets of powder, foot care products and then, if you DO need them, buy them at that moment. Just don´t bring everything along¨just in case¨. Anne

Hi to all,
I am planning to walk the Camino France starting in mid July ending late August. I will be doing it solo so I appreciate all the great info on this site.
I am nervous about the first day from St. Jean to Roncesvalles but don't have an exact day yet to book the Orrisson so I will have to leave it to chance--I am hopeful there may be other places to stay.
Is anyone else planning to walk around this time?
I'm coming from Canada and plan to fly into Paris--this seems like the easiest way to get to the start.
All info is welcome and good luck to all walking this year. :)
Kim

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi ,
I am walking a short leg of the camino (SJPDP to Pamplona ) with my 2 boys and husband late July. We are stopping at Orrisson to break up the first day and looking to not over extend any day. Does anyone know of somewhere to stay around Viscarret or Larrasoaña. I don't want to take a chance with kids and would like to reserve. We are flexible in where we stop but don't want to walk more that 16 K in a day if possible. I have read about some nice Casa Rurale in Viscarret but can't find contact details....thanks

janyan said:
Hi ,
I am walking a short leg of the camino (SJPDP to Pamplona ) with my 2 boys and husband late July. We are stopping at Orrisson to break up the first day and looking to not over extend any day. Does anyone know of somewhere to stay around Viscarret or Larrasoaña. I don't want to take a chance with kids and would like to reserve. We are flexible in where we stop but don't want to walk more that 16 K in a day if possible. I have read about some nice Casa Rurale in Viscarret but can't find contact details....thanks

I don't know if these are up to date, but contact details are given:-

Viscarret:- http://www.laposadanueva.net/

Larrasoana:- http://www.sangalo.net/web4.htm

Hello all,

I've been wanting to walk the Camino for...about 10 years, and this morning I decided, "Well, all right. Do it already!" So now I've just begun researching logistics. Aiming to start sometime in September or October, probably just a short piece (7-10 days) due to work/vacation restraints.

Super excited to read through these message boards and learn from you all! Thanks in advance for all the shared wisdom here.

Well the day is approaching. Next Monday I leave for Madrid where I will stay two days then off to Lourdes by train from where I will start my Camino...excited and looking forward to another venture :D

Hi all,

I walked the Camino last year, Vezelay, Aragonese and Frances to Finisterra...this year the Norte (maybe the primitvo).

buen Camino everybody

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My name is Tracy and I am from Fort Myers, Florida, USA. My friend Julie and I will be starting our Camino on Aug 24 from SJPdP. We will get as far as we can by Sep 14 as our husbands and kids will be missing us.

We are making final arrangements, rough estimating our daily walks, gathering supplies and training.

We are both very excited and a little nervous at the same time.

Tracy

Take sunscreen, though maybe that is not necessary advice for someone living in Florida!! Have a great walk; good health and good weather to you. Ask any questions you might have, and someone will provide an answer. There is a lot of information in the FAQ sections above.

Buen Camino.

Hello everyone!

I am a student from Sweden and will take the camino from St. Jean to Santiago by unicycle starting 13 of June, something like a week from now. The thing is, I will begin my first of five years at university in Sweden this autumn, and I've already been studying for many years now. Before I go back to school, I really need to see something else. This will be really terrific! And yes, it really is unicycle. I felt like doing something different, and unicycling is perfect, a little faster than walking, little slower than biking. So if you are starting a couple of days earlier from St. Jean, don't be worried when you see a unicyclist passing by. :wink:.

Rasinj said:
I am a student from Sweden and will take the camino from St. Jean to Santiago by unicycle starting 13 of June, something like a week from now. :wink:.

WOW good luck! I have not seen one of those on camino yet - but you are probably not the first one doing the camino on a unicycle though...
Let us know how you are doing!!!

Hi,

I am from Lithuania. Planning to start June 14-16 in Roncesvalles and will walk the whole way. It's my third time doing the Camino but first time alone (I am 17yo).

Hello, class of 2011. I have just returned from my first Camino, starting in Vézelay on 4th April and arriving in Santiago 7th June, with a few rest days (2-3 enforced by tendinitis). St James had his blue umbrella over me the whole way, as in 65 days there was only 40 minutes of rain on me. The Voie de Vézelay was wonderful: peaceful, calm, solitary for the most part. Nothing prepared me for the shock of St Jean PdeP and the THOUSANDS of pilgrims streaming over to Roncesvalles, to be joined by more - and more as I headed west. Everywhere along the Camino Francés people said there were record numbers, and it seems to me (words of advice here) that the Francés is at saturation point. People were in tears as no beds in albergues, having to press on in the heat of the late afternoon for many more km, or to take a taxi if they couldn't face more walking. The daily stampede for beds was stressful, and - although it didn't take the joy away - it sometimes spoiled the peace I felt. If you must walk the Francés go for private albergues and always ring ahead and arrive to take up your booking by 4pm. Also, if you've got the funds, try to stop where there are hostals or pensións as a fall back.
That said, I had the time of my life, and felt fully alive all the way. Harington, 64

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
harington said:
Hello, class of 2011. I have just returned from my first Camino, starting in Vézelay on 4th April and arriving in Santiago 7th June, with a few rest days (2-3 enforced by tendinitis). St James had his blue umbrella over me the whole way, as in 65 days there was only 40 minutes of rain on me. The Voie de Vézelay was wonderful: peaceful, calm, solitary for the most part. Nothing prepared me for the shock of St Jean PdeP and the THOUSANDS of pilgrims streaming over to Roncesvalles, to be joined by more - and more as I headed west. Everywhere along the Camino Francés people said there were record numbers, and it seems to me (words of advice here) that the Francés is at saturation point. People were in tears as no beds in albergues, having to press on in the heat of the late afternoon for many more km, or to take a taxi if they couldn't face more walking. The daily stampede for beds was stressful, and - although it didn't take the joy away - it sometimes spoiled the peace I felt. If you must walk the Francés go for private albergues and always ring ahead and arrive to take up your booking by 4pm. Also, if you've got the funds, try to stop where there are hostals or pensións as a fall back.
That said, I had the time of my life, and felt fully alive all the way. Harington, 64

I started from SJPDP on 27 April and had the identical experiences. I nearly had a heart attack when I saw the masses of pilgrims streaming out of Roncesvalles, and Zubiri was 'complete' by 2.00 pm, and I believe that not a bed was to be had at Larrasoana by about 2.30 pm. Things improved somewhat after Estella as the numbers spread out, but after Sarria, the nightmare began once again with the enormous number of pilgrims on the road. I also experienced the stress of being woken up around 5.00 am as the stampede of pilgrims got up to leave the albergues in the dark. I thought that they had a long day planned, but discovered that the early start was only so they could their next albergue by noon in order to get a place. I often got caught up in their stress and ventured out in the dark quite a few times, which is so pointless. I did finally get into a rhythm of being able to ignore these pilgrims and starting at at dawn at 6.30 am and walking until about 3.00 pm, but I did book ahead a few times. The downside of walking until 3 pm also meant that I could not get into the smaller albergues, like Granon. I also agree that the Camino Frances is nearly reaching saturation point at certain times. Nevertheless, it was an incredible, life-changing experience and I am planning my next Camino, and either from Le Puy to SJPDP or the Camino Del Norte. May is a wonderful time to see the spring flowers on the Camino which were stunningly beautiful, but if I did the Frances route again, I would do it in April simply to avoid the masses.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Setting off from Leon to SdC on Monday and getting nervous! As a first-timer I am worried about how busy it is going to be - from recent posts it sounds bad. I can't take a sustained period of leave at other times of the year so have to go mid June to early July so I guess I will just have to accept the crowds. Any advice from the old hands on the best way to find somewhere to stay - e.g. should I consider taking my light-weight tent (though my pack is at 7k without it)? I'm doing the whole thing on a tight budget so need to watch the money...
Thanks G

Just thought to add to my last posting that I am travelling alone - does that make it any easier to get a bed for the night?!
G

I guess I will just have to accept the crowds. Any advice from the old hands on the best way to find somewhere to stay
I also experienced the stress of being woken up around 5.00 am as the stampede of pilgrims got up to leave the albergues in the dark. I thought that they had a long day planned, but discovered that the early start was only so they could their next albergue by noon in order to get a place.
The winning strategy is often repeated. You may not want to start early and stop early, but it works!!

Thanks Falcon. I am an early riser anyway - just love the dawn and sunrise and usually get up around 5.30 every day so that won't be a difficulty. (But for any late sleepers I promise not to 'rustle my bag' and disturb your slumbers!!)
G

Hi, I just completed my first Camino by myself from SJPP to Santiago de Compostella on May 31 and had started May 1 2011. Loved the whole experience with meeting people and the scenery with nature all around and the peaceful feeling when walking. I only can say it was a great experience. The only problem I had was blisters on my toes. Had to take one day off in Astorga due huge blister on big toe with nail lifting and infected. Saw a Dr in an ER there and was prescribed antibiotics and suggested to take a day off and I also had other toenails which were bruised so he suggested that I needed bigger shoes. Took the day off, bought new shoes then bought walking sandals as I had seen others walking in sandals . Some had walked the whole way in sandals and had no problems. It worked for me for my last 10 days of the Camino and I also did another 90K to Finisterre but was careful and also had walking poles for support on walking on rough terrain. I did wear the shoes for 3 days during that time due to some rain and water puddles after the rain storms at night.
I only had one experience of having an albergue full when I got there and it only had 12 beds so had another 5K to walk to the next village, did hear about others who had the same experience.
I usually started walking at 0630 just when the sun was coming up and stopped from 1:30-2:00PM to get settled in. Some days walked to 3 but liked to be off the trail before it got too hot.
Looked forward to seeing the red or silver chairs outside knowing that there would be coffee and something to eat. The pilgrim dinners were worth the money but did make a few meals when had kitchen facilities and shops to buy groceries.
Am home now and have lost a few toenails but other than that the feet feel good so would consider to do the Frances Camino again or do one of the other Caminos.
Remember to take earplugs . I sleep well and did not have a problem with the snorers but a lot of people did.

Buen Camino

€149,-
Fantastic Cadbury... well done!!
i just wondered if you gained any tips about blisters.... i'm following your path in September so am interested for obvious reasons.
regards juju

Hello Everyone! My name is Maleka and I am from Seattle, WA. I am really excited to start my camino at the beginning of July from Porto to Santiago. Hope to meet some of you on the journey :p I have really been inspired by reading all the posts and can't wait!

Hi everyone,
I came home a week ago 11th june and am still exhausted. I started from Pamplona on May 4th, but obviously got caught up in that same wave of pilgrims that Jenya mentions. I was slow at first because of the job done on my knee back in march. I too saw pilgrims arrive and not be able to get a bed. For me it was a constant anxiety, even though I really tried to trust in the Lord.

On reflection I guess I was not fit enough because I had not been able to train on account of my knee, secondly I was walking with somebody who was a much stronger and faster walker then me. Tiredness build up then exhaustion. Then I had the fall, landing on my forehead. It was all downhill for me after that. The news that my son and daughter-in -law had lost their unborn baby shattered me and I fell apart psychologically

Still, I went, I did my best. I arrived in Santiago even though buses and taxis had to used at bad times I'm 67 and I am home safe and wiser and glad I did it.

On a very positive note the twice I had to attend doctors i was treated quickly and efficiently, the little European health card taking care of everything.

I am very glad that I had learnt enough spanish to deal with crises. and would encourage you all to learn as much as you can
When things were bad I thought of how few things we have to contend with compared with pilgrims of old

First time pilgrim here, 29 year old filipino-american from chicago. Thanks for all the great tips on these boards! Starting out in Ronces July 2nd or 3rd! Excited, nervous, anxious...but ready :D

Got home on Sunday after a truly wonderful Camino - only three weeks, but wonderful weather, no rush for beds as we had booked ahead, great company, and I got to meet THREE forum members and Ivar.

The day Caroline's Express Bouricott took us to St Jean I sat next to an Aussie who had just finished walking the Camino Frances and was on her way to St Jean to collect luggage she left at Tim's B&B. She turned out to be 'CrazyWoman' from the forum!! Hug, hug, surprise, surprise.

I was walking up the hill into Rabanal del Camino and a pilgrim got off her chair and came towards me. "Are you Sillydoll?" she asked. Hug, hug, surprise, surprise - it was Kaysam from the forum. We kept bumping into eaqch other after that. Hi Karin!!

We were waiting for our mini-bus to take us from Villafranca del Bierzo when a pilgrim walked past. "Is one of you Sil?" she asked, hearing our South African accents. Hug, hug, surprise, surprise! Anna from the forum.

Then I met with Ivar at Suso's in Santiago - a lovely visit over a cup of Cola Cao with Janet (from the Forum).

I'll be walking again from 1st September to 24th September. This time the motivation was my youngest nephew who finished school last year and is taking a gap year in England. He has always wanted to walk the Camino with his Aunty Sil so I invited him to join the group of 6 who will be doing a three week walk with me in September. I have room for two more if anyone is interested in walking the three most scenic parts of the Camino Frances - with no rush for beds!

okay, wow. it's been such a busy time getting all prepared and trained and all the resat of it and i realise i haven't even found the time to say hello. My Names Timothy and i'm off via Biarritz tomorrow 28th june. Yes It's my birthday and seems to be a popular gift to one's self. Indeed. well from london to Biarritz. Norte, Primitivo Of course "Santiago" and then , legs willing, on to Finisterre. But i guess everyone thinks that when they start. on to Finisterre, as if you feel the same about an extra three days as you do before you've even begun. So i'll qualify with "I'd like to go on to Finisterre. I'd Like to make it to Santiago. Honestly, i can't wait. And as i sit here in a fried london town about to burst it's heavens with rain and threatened tornadoes i can't help thinking...is something about to happen? indeed. My first pilgrimage. Not a momement too soon.

For all those i'm about to meet along the way i look forward to meeting with myself. Again, not a moment too soon.

Blessings and good humour to you all fellow pilgrims, blessings to you all

Tim x

Have a great walk; may all your expectations be met. Buen Camino. (And there are buses to Finisterre, if you need one.)

So nice to "check in" here again! I had a wonderful time walking SJPP-Burgos in July 2009 and was well prepared very much thanks to this forum and all of the knowledgable Veteran Posters. I learned how to treat my feet and how to schedule my day before I had started.

Every morning I treated my feet with vaseline before walking, and again after the days hike and shower. I also took the advice of preparing them now and then with a "Salad dressing footbath", hot water, olive oil, vinegar, salt (you can find all of these ingredients in almost any albergue, in some I bought this and left it for other pilgrims). I didn't have any blisters, my feet did a great job!

I walked with my exfiancee (it wasn't the Caminos fault that an "ex" has now been added to the word :) ) and two German brothers who we met in SJPP and had so much fun with that we walked together all the way to Burgos. We took the advice of walking out with the sun rising and apart from this being absolutely gorgeous, having the world waking up around us, we also beat the heat that way and arrived at our intended albergues always in time for getting bedplaces.

This year I'm starting out alone, I walk out of Burgos Saturday July 9th. I've booked my first nights stay at El Puntido, Hontanas so I won't need to worry about a bed.

I'm a little worried about the heat this time, although I am well prepared when walking (hat, 2 liter camelpack, electrolyte drink tablets) it is a bit of a worry walking alone if I should suffer from heatstroke.... I guess I'll stop worrying as soon as I start walking....

I'll be blogging along the Camino as I did last time, here is my blog if anybody wants to follow!

http://hali.bloggsida.se/

Hi everyone,

I'm over for a wedding in Spain late July so will squeeze in 5 days walk - Sarria to Santiago from 2nd August.
I know it is the bare minimum etc and in the peak of summer, but am hoping to just enjoy the crowds and atmosphere.... perhaps another time I can do the quieter longer option! I hope it will be ok and crowds etc not too bad. I am also thinking of taking a tent so I can camp if alberge queues etc just gets too bad. Is that a good idea? Any other advice for coping at this time of year? Many thanks and look forward to meeting fellow pilgrims!

best wishes, Liz

Hi pilgrims,

I am Catherine, 23, Aussie. I live in Europe and am spending a few days in Marrakech, then making my way over to Porto (bus, train, ferry), and walking up north to Santiago from approx Sep 15-28.

Super super super excited! After the Camino, I will say goodbye to my friends in Europe, and return back to Australia (after 3 years of living abroad). So this year is a big year for me.

This forum and other internet sites have proven so helpful in my research on the Camino. I just started posting some questions after doing lots of reading for months. I found out about the Camino in December when I was in Copenhagen. A German backpacker told me about, and I thought it would be perfect for me prior to returning home to my family.

Thanks or all the advice on this channel, it's been a great help!

I hope to be able to provide others with advice and peace of mind after I have experienced it for myself!

Catherine. x.

€149,-
I did my first Camino at the start of June, amazing experience ...... looking forward to returning already. Love this site, great information.
Thanks. :)

SilviaD:

This site is full of all the information you might require for your Camino (suggested packing lists, food to try, places to stay/avoid etc). The three things I always offer to those requesting feedback are pack light (everyone packs to much), start slowly, (how your first day goes can impact the next few days) and The Camino will take care of the rest.

Ultreya,
Joe

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Welcome to the Forum SilviaD and Free-peregrino.
@ SilviaDet us know how you are doing!

Greetings pilgrims. Jimmy C. here from Ireland. Just felt like putting a few thoughts down on paper.I actually dont have any more Questions. I decided to do the Camino Frances five or six months ago and have booked flights for September 4th. Straight away I started researching on the net. This forum was one of the first resources I hit on and have found it invaluable, not to mention enjoyable. The members are so helpfull with any info you need. So my daughter and I head off soon confident of a hugely successfull Camino. Tanya will have to do a bit more roadwork in the next 6 weeks though. Oh and I havent told her about bed bugs. She'd freak. Doubt if they'd bother with my gnarly old skin though. I know the precautions to take though and theres always anti histamines if needed, lol. We have invested in good walking boots and thousand mile socks lightweight packs and sleeping bags etc. so we are better prepared than most starting off. I am SO looking forward to this journey. Initially it's for the adventure and excitement.but I'm also hoping for something more meaningfull from it. My faith isn't what it should be for reasons I wont go into. So maybe...... Anyway people, enjoy your own Camino's and maybe I'll see you on "the way". Jimmy C.

Hi All,

Am starting my first Camino from SJPP on Sept 10th. Hope to meet those walking during that time along the way.

Hi Pilgrims,
I will start from SJPDP on September 9. I walked from Sarria to Santiago in June this year. I got so excited so I decided to walk the whole Camino now. Now in planning stage. Equpment and training.
Tom

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.