• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2012

I'm leaving for Spain two weeks tomorrow with my mum - all very exciting now it's just round the corner! We're setting off from Leon on July 26th and are allowing a leisurely 3 weeks to arrive in SdC.

For those of you walking the Camino Frances at the same time, perhaps our paths will cross - I do hope so!

Buen camino peregrinos del mundo, y bueno suerte!
Caroline :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
CaminoCaroline said:
Buen camino peregrinos del mundo, y bueno suerte!
Caroline :)
Buen Camino! You'll have a ball. :D

Hi.

I'm been thinking about walking the Camino de Frances since April and gradually adjusting my life toward that goal. I'm from the D.C. area. My mother recently died, and that's just given me a renewed purpose. I plan to start around Sept. 1. I'm setting aside about 40 days and hope to walk from SDJPP to Finisterre.

Michael

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
BoldenMD said:
Hi.

I'm been thinking about walking the Camino de Frances since April and gradually adjusting my life toward that goal. I'm from the D.C. area. My mother recently died, and that's just given me a renewed purpose. I plan to start around Sept. 1. I'm setting aside about 40 days and hope to walk from SDJPP to Finisterre.

Michael

Michael,

I plan of doing the same and the same time. I'm from Chicago. Hope to see you out there. I like your quote from M.Twain. That should be reason enough to go.

Hi Michael and Bolden (?). I should not be far from you guys. I am from Colorado and landing in Madrid on the 29th Aug. I will likely start on the 30th or 1 Sep from SSJP. I have not decided my route yet. Likely Frances but I am also attracted to Del Norte. So I may head north after Pamplona. But I am definitely going to Finisterre. Returning from zmadrid on the 4th Oct. i should have enough time.

Buen Camino
Suzanne

BoldenMD said:
Hi.

Michael

Nice to know that DC will be represented at least twice in September on the Camino Frances.
We'll be coming up behind you on the 27th September, also from the DC area. We are setting aside
40 days too, the traditional sojourn time in the wilderness.

Buen Camino,

Alice

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sorry to hear of your loss Michael, I think walking the Camino will be exactly what you need. I will be leaving SJPDP on Sept 1, hope to meet you there!

Caroline, Michael and Suzanne!
Welcome to Forum!
Don´t hesitate to ask any questions you might have.
Have you seen the Calendar???
There are about 15 other Forum members starting from SJPP the first days of September!

Buen Camino,

Hi all! Abby here, currently stationed in Bahrain, but transferring on Sept 1st and heading to Madrid! I get into Madrid at 1:30pm, I'm hoping to take a bus to Pamplona arriving around 8pm, then catching a late night taxi (anyone care to split?) to SJPDP for a morning of the 2nd start. I unfortunately dont have limited leave, so I'm planning on walking a week, then taking a bus/train to Sarria to finish the last 100km, before flying home to America (finally!!) on the 17th. Can't wait to see so many of you out there; this forum is a wealth of knowledge!
Cheers,
Abby

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Does anyone know how to get to SJPDP from Madrid and how long it takes. I'm hoping to land in Madrid on Aug 29 or 30th and head from there to SJPD. Would like a day to see the sites in Madrid a day before heading out to SJPD. I just want to alot enough time. I'm not in any hurry, just curious. Hope to see many of you along the road.

Poppz

Hey all!

I'm looking to catch the 1505 train from Madrid (Atocha) to Pamplona, arriving at 1826, then taking a taxi (TaxiPamplona) from the train station to SJPDP. I'd love to share a taxi with someone that evening to help cut the cost! Please let me know! I can't believe this is finally happening - flights booked!!!

Cheers,
Abby

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Friends, Jonathan from Brisbane here. I've been planning the walk for the last 7 years. It begins on 8 or 9 th September 2012. Can't wait! My pack is ready and shoes broken in hopefully!If you're around that time let me know. Cheers.

JonathanPT said:
Friends, Jonathan from Brisbane here. I've been planning the walk for the last 7 years. It begins on 8 or 9 th September 2012. Can't wait! My pack is ready and shoes broken in hopefully!If you're around that time let me know. Cheers.
Gerard from Brissy here Johnathon. Planning to leave SJPDP around Sept 1st. I'm strolling to Santiago so put a forum badge on your pack (see below) and maybe we'll catch up.
Buen Camino Cobber
Gerard

Hello!
This is Jess from North Carolina. I begin the Camino from Porto in just two weeks!! I have not been planning this as long as I would have liked, which makes me a little nervous, but I am hoping that I will be okay. I have been doing as much backpacking as possible since I decided to go, and am trying to squeeze in as much information as I can about the journey. I just turned 28, and have spent the past few years slaving away at a corporate law job - I am hoping the Camino will provide me with inspiration on how to spend my coming years in a way that will bless the world around me.

I also have a gluten intolerance - which will make this journey a bit more of an adventure, haha. I plan to bring printed cards in portuguese and spanish that explain my dietary restrictions, and am hoping I'll have adequate access to fruit and trail mix type foods to sustain me when necessary. If anyone has any advice for a celiac pilgrim, it would be much appreciated!!

I hope our paths cross!

Jess

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
gerardcarey said:
JonathanPT said:
Gerard from Brissy here Johnathon. Planning to leave SJPDP around Sept 1st. I'm strolling to Santiago so put a forum badge on your pack (see below) and maybe we'll catch up.
Buen Camino Cobber
Gerard

Gerard
You've got a week up on me. My ETA in Santiago is around 16 October so we'll see how we go. My badge came in the mail from Iver yesterday. Mate I hope we don't encounter weather like we currently have in BNE. Cheers Jonathan

Hi everyone. My name is Rob and I'm beginning the Camino at the beginning of September this year. I'm flying from my home in Cleveland, Ohio to Paris and then train to SJPDP. I'm 62, a new grandpa, and in reasonable physical shape. I'm walking since I need a spiritual 'adjustment' of sorts. My plan is to take about 40 days to complete the journey and then meet my significant other somewhere on the French Riviera for a little R&R. Personally, I'm not a walker and the most I've ever walked was in 2009 on the breast cancer 3-day, 60 miles in 3 days, so this will be a different experience. I have 2 daughters, both in their 30's and they think this a wonderful thing to do. I love their support.

So, that's about it. I'm trying to prepare as best as I can, I have all of my supplies, walking 3 to 5 miles every couple of days (just had knee surgery), and reading everything I can find. If anyone else will be on the Camino in September, please let me know. I feel humbled by having the opportunity to follow the hundreds of thousands who have already completed this journey!

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,731
Welcome Robbc!

Sounds like you're getting ready for it, and 60 miles in 3 days on your previous walk is no minor achievement. The Camino is a series of days as well - it could be 3 or 40, just take each as they come and rest if/when needed (enjoying the food, wine, scenry and company as you go!).

Great you've got so much support. You can involve your family through a blog etc as well if you/they wish!

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
(just had knee surgery)
You may find that the repetitive stress of daily walking will cause discomfort. Unless you are injuring yourself, you should be able to keep going if you have a plan from your doctor to treat the pain. Ice and ibuprofen are regularly recommended. Take care of yourself, pace yourself, and have a great time! Buen camino.

Hey Robbc,

Sounds like you have a handle on it. Lots of info on this forum. Time on ur feet will make a big difference. I have not walked the Camino (yet) I plan to start Sept 1 from SJPDP. When I was running ultramarathons, time on my feet was part of the training.

Check out the calander on this forum and you can see who is starting and when.

robbc49 said:
Hi everyone. My name is Rob and I'm beginning the Camino at the beginning of September this year. I'm flying from my home in Cleveland, Ohio to Paris and then train to SJPDP. I'm 62, a new grandpa, and in reasonable physical shape. I'm walking since I need a spiritual 'adjustment' of sorts. My plan is to take about 40 days to complete the journey and then meet my significant other somewhere on the French Riviera for a little R&R. Personally, I'm not a walker and the most I've ever walked was in 2009 on the breast cancer 3-day, 60 miles in 3 days, so this will be a different experience. I have 2 daughters, both in their 30's and they think this a wonderful thing to do. I love their support.

So, that's about it. I'm trying to prepare as best as I can, I have all of my supplies, walking 3 to 5 miles every couple of days (just had knee surgery), and reading everything I can find. If anyone else will be on the Camino in September, please let me know. I feel humbled by having the opportunity to follow the hundreds of thousands who have already completed this journey![/quote

It looks like there will be plenty of company in Sept. Most people that are active on the forum are leaviung then. I'm heading that way on Aug 29th and starting in SJPD on the 1st or 2nd. I'm planning on 40 days also. Next week I'm heading to Cleveland to see my sister who lives out there. I'm from Chicago. In case you wondering where that might be, look in the newspaper under the baseball box scores and look above the Indians .

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi,my name is graeme mayne from victoria,australia.Off from SJ on Sept 5 through to santaigo in
5 weeks.First timer.Pack weighs in at 1lb.Never walked anywhere.Im 66.Going because of a book I
read,Shirly McLeans,The Camino.Felt called to do this.Yahoo

Hi guys. I'm Stuart from Scotland and will be leaving JP around 3rd Sept and heading to Santiago. Don't know how long will take me but I'm in no hurry as long as my Euros don't run out lol. Really looking forward to this trek and hope to meet some of you on my travels . Don't worry I won't be wearing a kilt and playing the bag pipes!
Regards Stu

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Plumber1000 said:
Don't worry I won't be wearing a kilt and playing the bag pipes!
A pity, because I love to hear the bag pipes in Galicia :cry:

Plumber1000 said:
Hi guys. I'm Stuart from Scotland and will be leaving JP around 3rd Sept and heading to Santiago. Don't know how long will take me but I'm in no hurry as long as my Euros don't run out lol. Really looking forward to this trek and hope to meet some of you on my travels . Don't worry I won't be wearing a kilt and playing the bag pipes!
Regards Stu

Looks as if there are a lot of us starting around this time. I'll be a day or two ahead of you depending if you stop the first day in the mountains. I'll keep an ear out for a Scottish accent.

Buen Camino.

Hi Jill yeah looks like there could be lots of us starting in Sept. Hopefully bump into you at some point on the Camino and buy you some tapas lol. Going to book my flight next week and get the wheels in motion. All the best and good luck Stu

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Guess I should add myself to this thread. :) I'm Mandy, 38, originally from Chicago and DC, currently from Mexico. I land in Barcelona on 6 September and will be there a couple days to deal with jet lag and last minute purchases. Could potentially stop in Andorra for a few days as it's probably the last time for a while I'll be in that area but if not I'll be starting from Ronc. on the 9th of September or so and I'll be walking slowly to Fins. and then maybe down to Portugal, depending on timing. Hope to see some of you along the way.

Hi Mandy hope you have a great Camino. Lots of Americans seem to be doing this walk around Sept time. You might even bump into a wee Scottish guy lol

I'll be there in September also. Starting out from SJPdP on Sept 4th. Hope to see many of you along the way :arrow:
Ultreya
Arlene

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi All,
I could use some help. I'm planning on starting the Camino on the 1st of September. I'm coming in from Chicago, Il USA. What's the easiest way to get to SJPDP. Should I fly into Madrid or Paris? If I fly into Madrid there seems to be a problem getting into SJPDP. No flights go to Biarritz from Madrid? Any suggestions from anyone else heading that way. I have a serious brain fart going and for some reason Ctrl, Alt, Del keeps running through my head. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :idea:

Poppz said:
Hi All,
I could use some help. I'm planning on starting the Camino on the 1st of September. I'm coming in from Chicago, Il USA. What's the easiest way to get to SJPDP. Should I fly into Madrid or Paris? If I fly into Madrid there seems to be a problem getting into SJPDP. No flights go to Biarritz from Madrid? Any suggestions from anyone else heading that way. I have a serious brain fart going and for some reason Ctrl, Alt, Del keeps running through my head. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :idea:

Hey Poppz,
I'm flying into Dublin from NJ and then flying Ryanair from Dublin to Biarritz. Look for a flight to Dublin the change of airlines isn't supposed to be bad at all in Dublin. Then you can get a shuttle Van from Biarritz to St. Jean.
Arlene

Hi September pilgrims,

Count me in as well! I will be in arriving in Toulouse, then on way to Lourdes for 4 days..taking train to St Jean on Sept 2 and leaving on Sept 4 (up and "over the hill" :wink: for my 43rd bday at Orrison!) to start the camino--Hope to meet everyone along the way..and a blessed, BUEN Camino to all..so glad to be in such good company!

Lisa- from NJ but currently in OH

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Poppz said:
Hi All,

I'm flying into Barcelona and from there I'll train to Pamplona and bus to Ronc. I'm not starting from SJPdP so I've not looked into onward travel but I know it exists. That might be an option.

vagabondette said:
...I'm not starting from SJPdP so I've not looked into onward travel but I know it exists...
there is an Alsa bus service twice a day between Pamplona- Roncesvalles-SJPP during the high season.
http://www.alsa.es

Hi!
I don't know what the BEST way is to get to SJPP, but we plan to fly from Boston to Paris, take the TGV to Bayonne, then the regular SNCF train to SJPP. After we complete our Camino, our plan is to take the train from Santiago to Madrid, then fly back to Boston.

Anyone else do this open-leg journey?

Buen Camino,

Kathleen

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
adventurekq said:
Hi!
I don't know what the BEST way is to get to SJPP, but we plan to fly from Boston to Paris, take the TGV to Bayonne, then the regular SNCF train to SJPP. After we complete our Camino, our plan is to take the train from Santiago to Madrid, then fly back to Boston.

Buen Camino,

Kathleen
Sounds like the best way from Paris-SJPP to me. You could probably get a cheap flight from Santiago to Madrid if you wanted to, but that's just down to personal preference and timings (also train fares are less variable than airlines).

Buen Camino!

adventurekq said:
Hi!

Buen Camino,

Kathleen

Kathleen,

Remember there are NO non-stop trains from Paris to SJPdP . The route is generally a SNCF TGV (Tres Grand Express) train from the Paris Gare Montparnasse to Bayonne and then a regional TER line 62 train from Bayonne to SJPdP. Once you know your dates you can see schedules up to 3 months in advance at this SNCF (French Nationl Rail Road ) link. http://www.voyages-sncf.com/. You NEED a reservation for any TGV train and it is cheaper to book the ticket well in advance. You can book both tickets at the same time. If you take the mid morning TGV train from Paris you can be in SJPdP by late afternoon. However, if you prefer you can take the slower night train from the Paris Gare Austerlitz to Bayonne and get an earlier TER connection to SJPdP in the morning.

Bon Voyage and Buen Camino,

Margaret

Kathleen,

I fly into Paris on Aug 30 and arrive at 0830. I have booked a train ( well 3) from Paris to SJPDP that leaves at 10:16 and arrives in SJPDP at 2007 that evening.

I have booked a return flight out of Madrid on Oct 10.

I'm not sure when I will finish and what all or where I will go before I go to Madrid. That end of the trip is open.

€46,-
Just checked flights. I can go from Glasgow to Stanstead London with Easyjet for ÂŁ36. Then from Stanstead to Biarritz with Ryanair for ÂŁ28 all on the 30th August. Not bad eh? Have not booked my return flights as have no time limit when I need to return. Might end up living in Spain milking a few goats and crushing grapes for a few Euro lol

Plumber1000 said:
Might end up living in Spain milking a few goats and crushing grapes for a few Euro lol

That sounds like a great plan to me :D Be open to what the Camino has in store for you!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Might end up living in Spain milking a few goats and crushing grapes for a few Euro
The Scots may need the luck of the Irish with Spanish unemployment at 22% and nearly 50% among the youth! If there is a Euro to be made from the goats and grapes, the Spanish may be doing it. Regardless, buen camino! :mrgreen:

Luckily I'm a plumber and can milk twice as many goats as the Spanish and as for crushing grapes my size nines are up to the job lol. As of many people doing this walk I want a new start my last 12 years have not been great. I'm probably looking for something I can't find but going to give this a go with all my heart

Plumber1000 said:
As of many people doing this walk I want a new start my last 12 years have not been great. I'm probably looking for something I can't find but going to give this a go with all my heart

And I'll drink to that! Cheers peregrino - hope we all find what we are looking for :lol:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It looks like there will be a number of birthday celebrations on the Camino in September. Mine is the 1st -65th birthday and I walked with the American Pilgrims on the Camino (APOC) in CA today with a man who is celebrating in Spain on the 8SEP. I found getting from the US going to Paris (CDG) you can take a train (TGV) directly from the airport after an overnight flight to Bayonne. I rested one day and took the 1 hour train ride to SJPdP the next morning. This helped me easy into the trip without too much jetlag. I will be returning to Leon to continue my Camino to Santiago. At the pace I walk you may all catch up with me. Buen Camino!

Plumber1000 said:
Just checked flights. I can go from Glasgow to Stanstead London with Easyjet for ÂŁ36. Then from Stanstead to Biarritz with Ryanair for ÂŁ28 all on the 30th August. Not bad eh? Have not booked my return flights as have no time limit when I need to return. Might end up living in Spain milking a few goats and crushing grapes for a few Euro lol

Nice. Now you're a day ahead of me. I've been fantasying about not using my return ticket. Another day of rain here. At least I will be well use to it if it rains a lot when I'm there. That said, I hope for sun. Lots of sun.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Jill
Yeah hopefully the weather will be real nice and sunny. Poncho will be packed in case of any downpours. Not sure what day I'm officially going to start but the best price on flights were on the 30th August. Hopefully see you on route Jill to Santiago. Cheers Stu

Greetings from Philadelphia!
I am planning to walk my first camino starting mid September this year. Unfortunately I only have 15 days to do it so I plan on starting in Roncevalles or at Orisson around the 14th and walk as far as I can before I need to return home. Ultimately I would like to make ut as far as Burgos. My biggest concern is that I don't speak Spanish and I have (self imposed) dietary restrictions. Mainly no meat and no wheat. Other than that, I'm very excited and I hope to meet some of you along the way.
BUEN CAMINO
Carolann

no meat and no wheat
Almost everything is cooked in a meat broth, including vegetables. Pasta and bread will have wheat in them. Fish, cheese, salads, beans (remember that meat broth), juice, and self-catering will all be available. Like mental images of distance and achievement, self-imposed dietary restrictions will add to the difficulty of the camino. If you do not stick to a diet for medical reasons, you might consider relaxing them on the camino. Your energy level will definitely benefit!

Buen camino from an omnivore! :mrgreen:

If you do not stick to a diet for medical reasons, you might consider relaxing them on the camino. Your energy level will definitely benefit!

The good news is that I'm not a vegetarian. I think the buzz word for people like me is pescatarian as I don't eat meat but I do eat some fish (also eggs and dairy). If necessary I will eat things that are cooked in a stock. I haven't eaten meat in over 15 years and I've been gluten free for 2 years. I wouldn't want to get too lenient with my eating habits as I would be afraid that it would wreak havoc on my digestive system and cause more problems. Maybe I will add a jar of peanut butter and some protein bars to my packing list! :)

adventurekq said:
Hi!
After we complete our Camino, our plan is to take the train from Santiago to Madrid, then fly back to Boston.

Hi,
I've never done it but I've been told that you can get inexpensive flights from Santiago to Madrid to you may want to compare the train cost to the flight. I think RyanAir has flights for under $70.
Buen Camino,
Carolann

Thank God..... Flight Booked and confirmed.... Rail Book & Confirmed.....Bus to SJPDP Booked...... All that's left is a couple of hotel reservations and I'm on my Way. :lol:

If you're gluten-free because of an allergy, you might find that it doesn't impact you in the same way in Europe. I was having this convo with a group of travelers the other night and they're only lactose intolerant and gluten sensitive when eating US foods but while they're traveling they can eat anything and they don't get sick. We concluded it's likely because of all the chemicals, hormones and other crap the US pumps the food full of. So, you may be surprised at your reaction - at least to gluten products.

Yay! We are officially peregrinos (well actually, we've been peregrinos since we first looked at each other several weeks ago, and shared we had the intense impulse to walk the Camino de Santiago).

So we have our flights and our train reservations. Boston to Paris, TGV to Bayonne, regional TER to SJPP. Then after our Camino, fly from Santiago to Madrid to Boston.

Our regional train from Bayonne arrives in SJPP around 8:30 in the evening on Sept. 26. Can anyone suggest a family-run hotel in the village of SJPP that we might make reservations, and how far is the village from the train station? I'm wondering if we might arrive too late to consider the albergues in SJPP.

Thanks to anyone who's willing to share info on this.

Ultreya!
Kathleen

The tourist office and the albergues stay open until after the last train arrival, but there are plenty of alternative accommodations. The train station is on the edge of the rather small town, about a 10 minute walk to the pilgrim office. Days will be shorter by the end of September, so you may not have much daylight.

Bon chemin!

Thank you for that information. Yes, it'll be good for us to remember that it will most likely be dark when we arrive.

Our Camino has already begun, so we will TRUST (!) that we will have a place to sleep once we arrive in SJPP.

Kathleen

Kathleen,

in Saint-Jean the office for the Amies du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle stays open open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h.. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. They can provide you with a Credential and lodging assistance. Their volunteers help run the albergue at 55 rue de la Citadelle which is a fine place to stay, but they do NOT take reservations. If their albergue is full they will help you find lodgings when you are on site.

If you prefer to reserve a hotel in advance of your arrival here is a link in English for all accommodation types from the local tourist office.http://www.saintjeanpieddeport-paysbasque-tourisme.com/en/accomodation.html

Bon Voyage and Buen Camino,

Margaret

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
OH MY GOSH...the thought of eating bread or pasta in Spain just made the 7 weeks between now and my camino seem like an eternity!
:D

vagabondette said:
If you're gluten-free because of an allergy, you might find that it doesn't impact you in the same way in Europe. I was having this convo with a group of travelers the other night and they're only lactose intolerant and gluten sensitive when eating US foods but while they're traveling they can eat anything and they don't get sick. We concluded it's likely because of all the chemicals, hormones and other crap the US pumps the food full of. So, you may be surprised at your reaction - at least to gluten products.

bklyntraveller said:
It looks like there will be a number of birthday celebrations on the Camino in September. ...

Yes! Mine will be 3 September. That's one of the reasons I plan to start on 26 August. I want to be well along when my birthday rolls around. Happy early birthday, everyone!

Buen Camino.

willysmom said:
OH MY GOSH...the thought of eating bread or pasta in Spain just made the 7 weeks between now and my camino seem like an eternity!

vagabondette said:

lol! I hope it works out for you. I'm lucky in that I have no food allergies but I have met many many people around the world who are only allergic to things in the US and when they travel they're fine so maybe you'll get lucky!

I have no food allergies either. Looking forward to some raw Spanish steak and some stewed bulls liver. Might even go all out and try some gold Johnny Walker whisky

willysmom said:

I would be careful because people seem to misunderstand wheat intolerance and gluten intolerance. Gluten is a protein composite that comes from more than just wheat products. Rye, barley, malt and even some oats contain gluten. I live in the EU and still cannot go anywhere near wheat products without getting sick. It can be in anything from some processed meats, ice cream, ketchups and various other sauces. I have to check labels of everything I don't cook myself.

That said, I've made a list of Spanish words of major food issues so I can ask if need be. I plan to cook often for myself (and to share with others) and will always have snacks in my bag. I have also searched traditional cuisine of northern Spain and looked at the ingredients of those recipes to find out what is in them to have a better idea. It's not too bad for gluten (apart for the obvious of pasta and bread) but I'll stay away from soups too because flour often used as a thickener.

I'm not vegetarian but I would say it would be much harder to do both while travelling without cooking a lot for yourself. Eggs, cheese, nuts, fruit, veg, beans, chocolate, wine, chorizo, potato and rice will pretty much be my diet. Oh and coffee. Lots of coffee and water.

Popz-after much research we decided to fly from paris to Biarritz instead of train. About the same price and much easier after a long flight. Taxi is picking us up at airport and delivering us to our hotel in sjpdp for 33€. We land in Paris at 7 am and should be in sjpdp by 3:00 pm
Careful if you look at flights from paris, some leave from Charles de Gaulle, some from orly, and Ryan air from beauvais

Merryecho said:
Popz-after much research we decided to fly from paris to Biarritz instead of train. About the same price and much easier after a long flight. Taxi is picking us up at airport and delivering us to our hotel in sjpdp for 33€. We land in Paris at 7 am and should be in sjpdp by 3:00 pm
Careful if you look at flights from paris, some leave from Charles de Gaulle, some from orly, and Ryan air from beauvais

I chose to fly into Madrid and Bullet train it to Pamplona then catch a bus. I'm going to do a day in Madrid and see the sites and then a day in SJPDP before heading out. I want to be relaxed when I start. No worries. Anyone know of a nice reasonable place to stay in Madrid near the Train station and a lot of main attractions. Any help would be appreciated.
Poppz

Hi all.

I am heading to Paris on August 16 from Denver and plan to start in SJPDP on August 20... I am getting really excited (and slightly nervous!!) as the time draws nearer.

Thanks for such a great forum to find so many useful bits of information.

Buen Camino,

Stephanie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
stephw said:
Hi all.

I am heading to Paris on August 16 from Denver and plan to start in SJPDP on August 20... I am getting really excited (and slightly nervous!!) as the time draws nearer.

Buen Camino,

Stephanie
Welcome Stephanie! You have no questions or last minute fears, so you have prepared well. Have a great time. Your nerves will disappear quickly once you're on the route!

Buen Camino!

stephw said:
Hi all.

Buen Camino,

Stephanie

Hi Stephanie,

A friend and I start walking the same day ! We have booked into Orisson for that night, will probably see you somewhere along the way :)

Buen Camino !
Marilyn

Hello. I am planning on walking the Camino in April/May of 2013. I have been trying to find out what is the best route for me. This will be my first time and I have 6 weeks to walk.

I am not sure if I can ask my questions here in this post or if I need to find the appropriate areas. There seems to be a lot of information to sift through so I will ask here and then begin my sifting.

I am flying into Paris on April 2nd and planing on leaving from SJPP.

Is it easy to get from Paris to SJPP?

I am also planing on going to Muxia.

Is there easy transportation form Muxia back to Santiago ?

Thank you

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Irishgoose!

If you're starting from SJPP you're on the Camino Frances, which is probably the best route for your first Camino. There are lots of accommodation options so you can just go with the flow and don't have to plan too much from day to day. It's also the most walked, and at that time of year it's very sociable but not too busy.

With the time you have you should be able to make it on to Muxia pretty easily. I've never walked that route so I don't know specifics, but if you look on the Finisterre/Muxia section of the forum I'm sure there will be some details about buses etc. I doubt it would be a problem.

Enjoy your planning. Buen Camino!

ps. Most people seem to get the TGV down to Bayonne from Paris, then the local train to SJPP. There are flights, but I think they tend to go from Orly rather than CDG, so that could be a bit of a faff for no benefit depending on timings etc.

A great day indeed. All my travel plans are booked and confirmned from the plane to the train and all in between. Officially I will start in St. Jean Pied de Port on September 1 and hope to make it all the way to the Atlantic in 45 days. I look forward to a great experiance and meeting some great people. So to all heading out on or around Sept. 1st, I will see you on the WAY........ :D

Poppz

Poppz said:
A great day indeed. All my travel plans are booked and confirmned from the plane to the train and all in between. Officially I will start in St. Jean Pied de Port on September 1 and hope to make it all the way to the Atlantic in 45 days. I look forward to a great experiance and meeting some great people. So to all heading out on or around Sept. 1st, I will see you on the WAY........ :D

Poppz

Hi, I'm starting out Sept 4th - hope to catch up with you along the way :arrow:
Ultreya
Arlene

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
amourier said:
Poppz said:

Poppz

Hi, I'm starting out Sept 4th - hope to catch up with you along the way :arrow:
Ultreya
Arlene

Sounds good. I'm in no hurry and I walk slow.........

Dear All :D
I'm excited to join you on this amazing Road! Our paths will cross, our eyes will meet, our stories will be exchanged. This Road has been calling my name for so long and when calling wasn't enough it started screaming. So here I am. :)

The tickets are already booked and I'm leaving New York on September 10 for entire 7 weeks. Here's the plan:
Sept 10 NYC > Paris
Sept 11 Paris > Toulouse
Sept 12 visiting friends
Sept 13 Toulouse > Bayonne > SJPdP (start) > Santiago de Compostella > Finisterre > Muxia > Santiago de Compostella (end) around Oct 22-25.
Planning to visit Vigo and then off to Lisbon from where I will fly back home. :D

agnesczaj said:
I'm excited to join you on this amazing Road! Our paths will cross, our eyes will meet, our stories will be exchanged. This Road has been calling my name for so long and when calling wasn't enough it started screaming. So here I am. :)

The tickets are already booked and I'm leaving New York on September 10 for entire 7 weeks. Here's the plan:
Sept 10 NYC > Paris
Sept 11 Paris > Toulouse
Sept 12 visiting friends
Sept 13 Toulouse > Bayonne > SJPdP (start) > Santiago de Compostella > Finisterre > Muxia > Santiago de Compostella (end) around Oct 22-25.
Planning to visit Vigo and then off to Lisbon from where I will fly back home. :D

Sounds like the plan is coming together. Enjoy Bien Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sounds like I will be in good company all along the camino. Starting September 6 in SJPDP and heading up to Orisson for the night. Like some of you, my rucksack (backpack) is ready. Just counting down time, reading some interesting books. Setting up my blog and touching base with friends along Camino. I am Ingrid from Toronto, turning 60 during my walk. So, when you see a Tilley Hat with a Canadian flag attached, give me a smiling Buen Camino! Oh and if you are a tea drinker, let's share a cuppa!

Greetings from Gloucester, Massachusetts!

My wife, Pat, and I are flying to Madrid and then Bilbao September 18 and then doing the train / bus route to SJPDP. We are looking forward to this trip and have been training. It already amazes me how many people stop me in the street when I have a pack on my back and start asking questions about Camino! I feel as if we have already begun the experience.

Thanks to all who post here. Your advice has been a GREAT help!

Namaste,
Jim

JillHives said:
I would be careful ........ I live in the EU and still cannot go anywhere near wheat products without getting sick. It can be in anything from some processed meats, ice cream, ketchups and various other sauces. I have to check labels of everything I don't cook myself.
We too check all labels when at home in UK, but have found it is not the wheat but the additives E450 and 45; di= and tri- phosphates. If we avoid those we are fine and yes they can come in almost anything processed.
We have no problem with the bread from panaderias in Spain, and other products traditionally made but do watch the supermarket products.
For those with true gluten intolerance we noticed many more places selling gluten free this year.

"Greetings from Gloucester, Massachusetts!"
Hi Jim and Pat! I'm a little north of you :) Buen Camino! Hope to see you along the Way! Lynette
P.S. I sent you a PM about a meeting this Sunday "Boston Pilgrim Chapter" :D

Hello everyone,

I've been reading the forums for many months now -- I feel like I already know many of you, even though this is my first time posting! :D

There is an amazing amount of information here and everyone is always hugely helpful. I haven't had to post any questions simply because every time I have a question the answers are already there. My thanks to everyone for all the help and support you provide.

I'm going to be doing the Camino Frances (starting in SJPP) in late August or early September. I don't have an exact date yet since I am finishing off a company project and that is driving my timing. I'll be (hopefully!) going all the way to Santiago and then probably Finisterre and Muxia (feet willing...). I don't have any deadlines for completion, so I am lucky enough to be able to go at whatever pace ends up working for me. I'll likely lock in a departure date sometime in the next week.

Last year I hiked the Lycian Way in Turkey (509 km up and down mountains). That was an amazing trip -- very friendly people and an enjoyable hike. I did it *very* slowly, though, since my knees, hips, and back are all gimpy. Didn't help that I was overweight (still am, but not as bad). I am persistent, though, so with a bit of luck it will be enough to carry me through the full Camino.

I'm from Toronto, Canada though my family all hail from the Maritime provinces. There seems to be a lot of Canucks about to do the Camino, so I'll be in good company!.

Hopefully I'll meet some of you along the way.

Cheers,

Strato.

stratophile said:
Hello everyone,

I'm from Toronto, Canada though my family all hail from the Maritime provinces. There seems to be a lot of Canucks about to do the Camino, so I'll be in good company!.

Hopefully I'll meet some of you along the way.

Cheers,

Strato.
Hello Strato, Toronto here too, we might cross path. What an awesome hike you did already. Ingrid
Buen Camino Ultreya

A Canadian without a Tilley hat is like an Australian without vegemite. I have heard that they revoke your citizenship if you leave without it. :wink:

€46,-
Poppz said:
agnesczaj said:

Sept 10 NYC > Paris
Sept 11 Paris > Toulouse
Sept 12 visiting friends

Sounds like the plan is coming together. Enjoy Bien Camino

Thank you Poppz! See you on the road :)

Jim and Pat,
My husband Neil and I will be in SJPP Sept 19 staying in Orrisson the 20th... maybe we'll see you on the Camino... we live not far from you in the Seacoast of NH

Debbie

Hi Ingrid - hopefully we meet up! My project at work is ahead of schedule, so I might actually be able to leave sooner rather than later (possibly the end of August) - should know by the end of this upcoming week. I'm really excited to get going!

I had a good training week. I walked every day this week for at least 12km and did 23.7km today. Exhausting, but my feet seem to be holding up pretty good. That was without a backpack, though, and mostly on relatively flat terrain. I have at least a month still, though, to build up endurance, do more hikes with my pack, and generally toughen up my feet.

That way, on the first day of the trek from SJPP, when I'm about 20k of the way across the mountains and I collapse into a quivering, sobbing, broken mess of a shell of a man, I'll at least know I did some pretty good walking *before* I got there. [I always try to look on the positive side of things...]

Cheers,

Strato.

from SJPP, when I'm about 20k of the way across the mountains
It is downhill at that point! Of course, that is when the quivering legs must be relied upon to not give way. It is a trekking pole appreciation moment -- your arms get to stabilize your exhausted legs.

Good training; keep it up. :arrow:

stratophile said:
Hi Ingrid -
I had a good training week. I walked every day this week for at least 12km and did 23.7km today. That way, on the first day of the trek from SJPP, when I'm about 20k of the way across the mountains and I collapse into a quivering, sobbing, broken mess of a shell of a man, I'll at least know I did some pretty good walking *before* I got there. [I always try to look on the positive side of things...]

Cheers,

Strato.
Hello Strato, am averaging 10 to 13 km each morning, by 8 km I know, I don't even have to look at my pedometer... :D . I am walking with a neighbour who walks way too fast. Not a pace that I would be walking on Camino. Myself, not walking from SJPDP to Roncevalles in one go. Staying overnight in Orisson. I am in upsolutely no hurry. I want to take it all in, not just walking. All I know is that my return flight is on October 31 from Barcelona. This is a gift to myself to be in the moment, no structure, no timetable (sort of - don't want to miss the plane :wink: ). Buen Camino

Hi Ingrid - I agree - I am in no hurry either. Like you, I want to have time to enjoy everything I pass through, not just get to the end. :)

I'd like to stay in Orisson too on my first night but since I won't know my departure date very far in advance, I am assuming I won't be able to get a reservation (will probably try, though, once I finalize dates). Going over the mountain on the first day doesn't really bother me though (despite my earlier tongue-in-cheek comment). I'll make it or I won't! :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Irishgoose-Air France flies from CDg to Biarritz, and you can get a taxi straight to sjpdp for 33€. Other airlines fly out of roissy and beauvais Paris airports

32 days to go! I should really pick-up my training but just can't make myself go out in the rain. Right now I have a choice and my choice is staying dry. I might regret this soon. :)

JillHives said:
32 days to go! I should really pick-up my training but just can't make myself go out in the rain. Right now I have a choice and my choice is staying dry. I might regret this soon. :)

Jill,
I'll join in on the 32 days to go. I say deal with the rain when you have too, Stay dry for now and until then relax and enjoy. We will have plenty of time for it to rain on our parade. See you on the Camino

€149,-
JillHives said:

I feel ya! I don't walk in the rain and since this rainy season has been particularly unpredictable, i've not trained as much as I should have. Luckily I generally walk more than the average bear in normal life and I have no time frame so I can take it nice and slow until I get into the shape I need to be in. Just don't push yourself too hard when you start.

vagabondette said:
I feel ya! I don't walk in the rain and since this rainy season has been particularly unpredictable, i've not trained as much as I should have. Luckily I generally walk more than the average bear in normal life and I have no time frame so I can take it nice and slow until I get into the shape I need to be in. Just don't push yourself too hard when you start.

Yeah, my feet are my only mode transport daily so I am well use to walking. I don't own a car and every bike I've ever had was stolen, so I walk more than most. I can easily do 24km without issue but that's without my 5.5kg (still trying to get that lighter) pack and not everyday for a month. I was on a schedule of at least 65km a week but all this rain is making it less and less. I'm hoping for the thrill of doing it to lift me along a bit.

I leave in 30 days. I know it will be here in a flash. I'll fly to Paris and then find my way to SJPdP with a night at Orrison on the 2nd. I still don't have the right sleeping bag. I tried to convince myself that my 3lb Marmot wouldn't be too bad, but now I know it's way too heavy. I checked out the Golite website (thanks Vagabondette)and they have all gone. I'll come up with something. Probably most of us thought we were going to train more than we have. Train-as-you-go, that's my motto.
Katherine

katehawk said:
I leave in 30 days. I know it will be here in a flash. I'll fly to Paris and then find my way to SJPdP with a night at Orrison on the 2nd. I still don't have the right sleeping bag. I tried to convince myself that my 3lb Marmot wouldn't be too bad, but now I know it's way too heavy. I checked out the Golite website (thanks Vagabondette)and they have all gone. I'll come up with something. Probably most of us thought we were going to train more than we have. Train-as-you-go, that's my motto.
Katherine

I'll just be a day a head of you. I bought a one season bag (which I wonder if a thicker liner would be much different) here. I believe it was Pieces who suggested it (thank you if it was). I'm happy with my choice because it's very light 460g and am just hoping it will be warm enough. I figure lots of people indoors... it should be.

http://www.haglofs.com/en-US/products/sleeping-bags/1-season/unisex/lim_50_en-us.aspx

See you along the way!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.