• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2012

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am in the class of 2012. I am meeting my son in Astorga and we will walk to Finnestre. This is our first time on the el Camino and we are really excited! Just bought my hiking boots today so I can break them in. But I was wondering if I really need boots from Astorga? Next purchase is the backpack...

Greetings, Class of 2012. I've been thinking about walking the camino for many years and will finally go in September. I'll be meeting an old friend in Paris and we'll make our way down to SJPP on Sep. 6th. I'm doing my best not to worry too much about gear, but I did get a larger pack to fit my sleeping bag, trekking poles, and bivy sack - the last being a "just in case I can't find shelter" item. Fortunately, it's ultralight, but I will have to get used to carrying the larger pack. Hope to meet some of you along the way. ¡Buen camino!

Jocelyne

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A Canadian without a Tilley hat is like an Australian without vegemite. I have heard that they revoke your citizenship if you leave without it.
You need a Tilley hat and a hockey stick, lol.

I'll be starting a few days before you. I will probably be taking it easy for the first days, so our paths may well meet.
Katherine

We are thinking of taking the northern route instead of the traditional route. Has anyone any comments or thoughts on that route? We will be there mid October to Mid November. Thanks so much!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi peoples,
Myself and my partner walked from the French side at the usual start and only had time,3 weeks, to walk to Burgos. That was in May. But we hope to complete the rest to the coast at the end of August. I am 67 reasonably fit and didn't do any pre walks before I went just had good boots (and no blisters) that I have had for a while. The experience reminded me of my time hitch hiking in Africa for 4 years some 35 years ago meeting all kinds of folk. After an evening meal and the usual free flowing wine and some tall storeys from all you go to bed happy, but don't bank on a silent sleep.
Dave.

Hi my name is Troy, originally from the Cayman Islands but leaving from the UK. I will (God willing) be leaving SJPdP on 2nd September. I'm still not sure why I'm doing this but I'm certainly looking forward to it. Blessings and buen camino to my fellow pilgrims.

kaiman said:
Hi my name is Troy, originally from the Cayman Islands but leaving from the UK. I will (God willing) be leaving SJPdP on 2nd September. I'm still not sure why I'm doing this but I'm certainly looking forward to it. Blessings and buen camino to my fellow pilgrims.

Hi Troy,
I'm Rich aka: Poppz. I'm not sure why I'm doing this either? That's probably why we are doing this to find out why. Most likely to find out a lot of things. Anyway, I will be a day ahead of you, Sept.1 so we might see each other on the road. I too am looking forward to this. I hope we find what were looking for? I think we will. You would be surprise what you find when your not looking for it. Buen Camino. :?:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Everyone,

It's been really quiet out there in Forumville? I'm leaving the 28th of August for SJPDP and I was wondering what is up the the Fire situations? In the U.S. they are talking about massive wild fires in the North of Spain? Is it effecting the Camino in anyway? If anyone has an update on that IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. Hopefully I'll be on my way soon.

Beun Camino All
Poppz

I have been dreaming for years now.. just booked my flights :) and will start from SDPP on 18th of Sept. I will arrive from Ireland on 17th. Can't wait! A little apprehensive about being on my own, I will only stay for 5 days and finish in Pamplona (I've got to start somewhere), if I was to wait for a 4-6 week window of opportunity, I would never get to the Camino. I was lucky enough to see the Camino at Jaca last year, and as we drove back to the airport we saw so many people walking the Camino. Anyway, anyone starting from SDPP on 18th September? I am trying to book somewhere to stay!

T minus 10 and counting. Feets don't fail me now. I'm ready. No word yet on the wild fires ?
I'll see everyone on the Camino soon.

Rich
Aka: Poppz

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello
My Camino started twenty five years ago. I was in Santiago on business and found time to look into the cathedral. The interior of the cathedral was dark and cold. A choir was singing and the botafumeiro was swinging. As my eyes adjusted I was awestruck. Shivering I went back out into the warm spring air.
I vowed to return.
Years later I picked up a book in “Julian’s” ( secondhand bookshop) in Fuengirola about a guy and a donkey.

This was the way, to return.

My son Alexander who lives in Andalucia sometimes helps out at a donkey sanctuary.
Leading one along the beach collecting stale bread from the beach bars.
Give the donkey a miss!

I persuaded him to join me and realistically we decided that work and family commitments meant that we could only have one week.
So Portuguese route.
We planned to arrive in Santiago on the 4th September 2010. My sixtieth birthday and also I believe a holy year.
And then I got cancer.
And then thanks to my wife Elizabeth and a wonderful surgeon in Oxford Mr David Cranston I got better.
I am an enthusiastic amateur as far as religion is concerned but I believe we had some other help too.
We will arrive in Santiago this year on the 4th of September.
If you are on the camino you can’t miss us.
I am the crazy Englishman with the biggest grin on my face

Buen Camino

Chris

Maryinmpls said:
We are thinking of taking the northern route instead of the traditional route. Has anyone any comments or thoughts on that route? We will be there mid October to Mid November. Thanks so much!

Hello, Im also doing my first Camino taking the northern route in Oct/Nov as well. Here are my thoughts; after checking out forums, articles etc..i was extremelly turned off by the French route, it's overcrowed, littered, touristy and I feel like my camino will be dictated by other pilgrims, they rush out in the early morning and get to the next albergue as fast as they can to secure a bedbug infested bed. So Ive decided to go for the longer but quieter Northern route, from what I've seen the scenario is spectacular, at one point is about 15km from Picos de Europa National Park http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Picu_Urriellu.jpg, the albergues are few and further appart and you cant beat being able to take a dip on the Cantabrian Sea when you feel like. Let me know what you think. Good luck!

Hi Maryinpmls and Skywalkwer. I am starting my camino on 30 Aug from SJPP but plan in taking the bus to the start of the northern route once in Pamplona. I am returning to the USA on 4th Oct. I can give you some feedback about what it is like. It will be a lot of mileage but I have this attraction for the coastal views. So is my rubber ducky. :)

Reality has not set in yet that I am leaving in 4 days.

Buen camino everyone. I look forward meeting many of the Class of 2012 on the way.

Suzanne

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello fellow Class of 2012. I will be arriving in Biarritz late on Sept. 2. and have therefore booked B&B there. Next day I will take train/bus or whatever available transport to SJPP and start walking. Following advice here on the Forum I will take it easy the first days at least and have booked a night in Orrison. Yesterday I finally bought the very last items such as vitamins w/minerals, carabines etc. so now I am trying to relax and enjoy looking forward to this what I believe will be te adventure of my life. I ordered my sleeping bag from Rei. It weighs 800 grams. I have packed 3 pairs of each t-shirts and socks, maybe I should leave behind one pair of each??? These questions will be roaming in my head until last minute! Since I visited the Vicoria&Albert museum in London 1996 and saw the copy of the door to the church in Santiago an heard first of the Camino it has been my plan to do this. Hard to believe it is happening now. Just wondeful. Can hardly wait this last week :)
See you!
Margrét

Manitougirl, I bet your rubber duck will appreciate it!! I kinda like your idea of staring out in SJPP and traveling up to the northern route. I want to fly into Paris and hang out for a day but Iam still not sure where Id go from there (i was not that excited about starting my walk in Irun) staring in SJPP would give me the chance to see some of the Pyranees and a pit stop in Panplona would be a nice treat. Keep us up to date!! Where are you flying back to the states from? Good luck and buen camino!

Hi Skywalker, I am flying back to Colorado Springs, CO. Besides my flight to Madrid and have the bus schedule down for SJPP, I have no other plan. I have the guide for Camino de Franes guide but will be printing enough information for the nortern coast. Not having any plans for a change is quite liberating.

Will keep you posted. You can send me your email if you want full updates.

Suzanne

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi everyone, 8)
Well the departure date is rapidly approaching for the September 2012 class of Pilgrims. I am excited and apprehensive all in one. I have never undertaken an adventure such as this and I look forward to it. I look forward to meeting the new members of the 2012 class and making some new friends and aquiantances. I will be in Madrid on the 30th and then head north to Pamplona on the 31st. If anyone is in Madrid and would like to meet up and see the sights, please get in touch with me as I am doing the Camino solo. I will be heading north on the 31st via the train and then taking the bus to SJPDP. I will be in SJPDP on the 31st and starting the Camino on the 1st. I look forward to meeting many and forging some lasting friendships along the way. So to all those leaving before, during, and after the 1st, I wish you all a buen camino, see you on the road. Again if anyone will be in Madrid and would like to meet up, please get in touch with me.

Rich
aka: Poppz
:arrow:

Hi Poppz,

Yes the day is rapidly approaching. I leave on Tuesday (Aug 28th) to spend a few days with my children and grandchildren in NJ. Then on the 1st I leave for the Camino. I will arrive in SJPdP on Sept. 2nd.

Sure do know what you mean about an exciting adventure, but I'm so looking forward to it! (I also have never done anything like this before, but what better time to embark on this journey). I hope to catch up with you somewhere along the way - remember you promised me a glass of wine.

Ultreya y Buen Camino mi Amigo,
Arlene

72 hrs from now I will be in the air headed to Paris. Then 3 trains to SJPDP. Will spend 2 nights in SJPDP and start on Sept 1. I'm ready to get this started!!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
amourier said:
Hi Poppz,

Yes the day is rapidly approaching. I leave on Tuesday (Aug 28th) to spend a few days with my children and grandchildren in NJ. Then on the 1st I leave for the Camino. I will arrive in SJPdP on Sept. 2nd.

Sure do know what you mean about an exciting adventure, but I'm so looking forward to it! (I also have never done anything like this before, but what better time to embark on this journey). I hope to catch up with you somewhere along the way - remember you promised me a glass of wine.

Ultreya y Buen Camino mi Amigo,
Arlene

Arlene,
I always keep my word. Stay thirsty. See you there.

The time is almost here...We leave the USA on 8/29 and arrive Madrid 8/30. We will spend the day exploring Madrid and overnight before taking the train to Leon and begin our walk on 9/1. We won't be fast, only going about 20km a day and hope to arrive in SdC by 9/17. Then onto Finsterra and bus back to SdC on 9/22.
We have had two practice walks with full packs. The first was 15k with the last 5k in rain. All went well except it took my shoes 3 days to dry so I purchased new and only have 40k on them. I have been working on my spanish so hopefully it will come to me when I need it. I still have many questions in my mind, but try not to worry about the details.
We will rely on GOD to make our Way.
Buen Camino, Joan and Ed

Re: Class of 2012 starting El Camino 30/09/12

Hi all
I am a first timer doing the final stretch with about 24 people from Sarria starting 30th Sept till 7th Oct.
My Caminodesantiago.me badge is ready to be put onto my rucksack and hope to meet some other members of this great site.
I speak spanish so that may be of use to some. I have searched and searched. There is no suitable public transport from Airport to Sarria around 12.20 on 30th Sept!!! Someone should start a business there! So it will be either hiring a taxi (120 euros hopefully shared) or wait till 19.00 for the organisers mini bus. Seems a waste to wait all that time.
Thanks for all tips on this site.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Fellow Peregrinos!

We are counting down now since we have less than one month before we begin our Camino Frances! Wow. Gives me butterflies thinking about it.

I read somewhere (? not sure now. . . there are so many posts from so many folks) that there might be fall harvest festivals in towns along the way, and that many of the accommodations will be full. I'm guessing that we'll find beds surely in the albergues that are open, but if we did want to stay in a small hotel for one night, it might be good to know of festivals along the way that draw crowds.

Thoughts from any of you?

Thanks so much.

Ultreya!
Kathleen

Hola Aquarius27,
Are you being collected from the airport? If so I think you might find it quicker to wait for your group's arranged transport. If you have any problem with catching and then the change of bus in Lugo you might not arrive in Sarria until after they do. There may not be any staff on duty at Lugo to help/advise you as it is a Sunday.
It looks as though you should have time to go into Santiago for a meal and then back to the pick up point. Freire buses run a regular service between the airport and town bus station but the bus station is quite a walk from the centre, might be worth a short taxi ride for that.
Buen Camino

Well after a lot of work to re-schedule my trip due to a stupid mouse click, I will finally be off to Madrid come Saturday. I will catch the bullfights on Sunday and see the city and then head north to Pamplona and finally SJPD. On Monday I shall be off. The anticipation is driving me crazy. I feel like I'm watching paint dry. Anyway, I will be on the road soon enough. See you all soon.

Poppz

blaneymarine said:
Poppz,
Do you know anything about the bullfight schedule in Pamplona for September?
Thanks
David

From what I have found out, Bullfights are on Sunday afternoons and only in select cities. Madrid, Barcelona, and Pamplona. I went on line and googled it when I found out I would be in Madrid on Sunday and found that there was a bullfight that day and that it was not that far from where I am staying. So when in Rome do as the Romans do. I was not sure if I would be passing through any cities with bullfights and really wanted to catch one while I was there. Just part of the Spain experiance I guess. Good luck and I hope to see you on the Way.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello again to all my fellow travelers. After a little "hitch in the giddyup" as they say. I'm leaving Cleveland on Sept 11. Fly to Madrid, train to Pamplona and then a bus to Roncesvalles, all on the 12th. I'll stay in a hotel the first night in Rncv to get I hope what will be a long night's sleep, then to the albergue the next night, and begin walking on the 14th.

Safe and fascinating travels to everyone! Rob

OMG! A Cleveland area Pilgrim! I am a newbie, this is my first post. After hearing about the Camino when I was in Spain on a college visit (Marquette Univ. '72) I vowed to return someday. After viewing "The Way" and becoming inspired, I plan to make The Way in '14. I know it seems a long way off but I must use the time to get in shape (serious fibromyalgia) and save the money. I'm almost 62 so I will turning 64 on my Journey, God willing! I've been soaking up all of your kind advice and this first post makes it all real. If there are any Pilgrims in the Cleveland area, I would love to connect at some time - when you return or prior if you have a long lead time as I do. I will be making my way alone, so any advice I can get the better! I hope I can contribute as well. Buen Camino to all!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thomas Hugues said:
Did the Camino from May to June 2012. Took a lot of photos and wrote a lot of stuff in my journal. All of which I published here: http://baguette.over-blog.fr/
Enjoy[/quot
Thank you for sharing on your blog! Great photos. Enjoyed your comments, too!

We will be leaving for Paris in 23 days, and looking at La Baguette made our soon-to-begin Camino Frances REAL! OMG.

Thanks for sharing your journey.

Kathleen

Hi everyone,
I'm Aine, from Galway - the west of Ireland. I'll be heading off on my first Camino (yipeee!!) on October 1st - arriving into Ponferrada in the very early hours of the morning on the 2nd. Very excited, very overwhelmed...can't wait! Really looking forward to meeting anyone who'll be travelling the Camino at the same time as me as I'll be travelling alone. Really looking forward to meeting my brother in Santiago when I finish as well - he'll be coming up from Madrid to meet me - and celebrate with me!
Buen Camino all,
Aine

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Glad to see you're doing the Camino Áine! Your comment jumped out at me because I named my daughter Áine 27 years ago. In the US it is a rare name and she has to constantly tell people how to pronounce it. She loves her name, thank goodness.

You're walking the Camino at a great time of year. We did it last year in Sept/Oct and loved the weather (and less crowded conditions.) Keep us all posted on your progress and have a great time out there.

Hi Dennis,
You're a lucky man having an 'Aine' in your life...or so my dad tell me all the time!! Thank you for your lovely message.
I'm absolutely so excited about walking the Camino, something I've longed to do for some time - and then in the end it all happened and was booked on almost a whim and during a random skype chat with my brother in Madrid two weekends ago! I feel like i've almost started my Camino journey already though - from talking to people here who have walked the Camino (or parts of it) to reading books and reading messages on this forum to getting new boots and going out walking in them. And of course - from being so grateful that i actually have the opportunity to walk the Camino and a chance to go there.
I'm well used to rain and windy weather here in the West of Ireland but hopefully I'll encounter more dry days than wet when i'm there in early October - we'll see!
Aine

I'm in! :D

Leaving Toronto on September 9th and arriving in Madrid on September 10th. Will somehow make my way to Leon where I will cool my heels for two days. Will begin my camino on September 12th and plan on arriving in Santiago on September 29th where I will spend two days. Flying back to Canada on October 1st :shock:

Hope to see some of you there. I will not be hard to miss. Just look for the fat Canadian :lol:

Tim

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Tim,

Great to see you back on the forum.

Hope all well with your trip.

I had planned going in back on Sept 11 to do two more weeks walking, but with the back giving trouble it seemed unwise.

However amazing amazing, my husband John had agreed to come with me to Burgos, Santa Domingo de Silos and Burgos, It will be a camino with a difference. And I am very excited about it.

Buen camino to you Tim

Lydia

Today is the day! I catch the airplane out of Toronto later today and it is a direct flight to Madrid. I will take it slow and see how it goes. I have had aweful bad luck with my knee but with a new cortisone injection, I am ready to go. My challenege today is to get my pack down from 20 lbs to 15lbs. The pack itself is 4 lbs empty. I have 5 lbs of clothes packed. So we will see. It will mean taking everything out and eliminating - sort of like when they had to load Noah's ark!

Tim

Tim-the-fat-Canadian said:
Today is the day! I catch the airplane out of Toronto later today and it is a direct flight to Madrid. I will take it slow and see how it goes. I have had aweful bad luck with my knee but with a new cortisone injection, I am ready to go. My challenege today is to get my pack down from 20 lbs to 15lbs. The pack itself is 4 lbs empty. I have 5 lbs of clothes packed. So we will see. It will mean taking everything out and eliminating - sort of like when they had to load Noah's ark!

Tim
Buen Camino Tim! Keep smiling! Happy feet...happy trails! Hope to pick up your joyous camino vibes when my feet land behind ya' in a week!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Tim

Tim,

All the best!

Simplify and keep up the good fight.

Ultreia!,

Margaret

Well I got it down to 18 lbs - so that will have to do. I had dreams of taking about 10 lbs but to do that I would only be taking the clothes on my back. I am taking 4 pairs of socks because my sucess will depend on my feet being able to carry me. As I begin the Camino on Wednesday, I likely will leave a trail of belongings as I lighten the pack. I was thinking of bring my tent as a just in case thing but there is no way. Thanks for all of your support and Camino, here I come! (I leave for the airport in under 3 hours).

Buen camino Tim! Take care of yourself and your feet!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have been on the Camino for 7 days now and having the time of my life! I've met some great people along the way so far.

Hi all,

Just got my ticket!!!
Starting from Carrion the 15th of October :D

Already dreaming, inclusive at daytime...

Buen camino to all who are on the leave!
/Jacques-D.

Hello from Finland!
I'm finally leaving tomorrow :D , taking flight to Zaragoza, then bus to Santo Domingo de la Calzada where I'm going to continue my camino which I had to quit last September because of knee problems.

Now I'm packing backpack and it seems to be easier than last time. Still wondering if all that stuff is needed :eek: .

A little bit nervous and excited but very happy to get back to the path. iHasta luego! Erja

erjanneli said:
Hello from Finland!
I'm finally leaving tomorrow :D , taking flight to Zaragoza, then bus to Santo Domingo de la Calzada where I'm going to continue my camino which I had to quit last September because of knee problems.

Now I'm packing backpack and it seems to be easier than last time. Still wondering if all that stuff is needed :eek: .

A little bit nervous and excited but very happy to get back to the path. iHasta luego! Erja
Erja
Please consider using a baggage taxi....you won't get a gold star for schlepping a heavy pack across Spain. In my humble opinion it is the only way to go especially for us pilgrims with knee problems.

Hi Arlene,

thank you for your tip. I've already planned to walk more less per day and perhaps slower too compared last time. Now I have 3 weeks to reach Leon or Astorga, so it's propably enough. But if isn't I'm going to continue next year :D

You are on your way right now - buen camino! Erja

Hi everybody,

Been on the Camino and just wanted to let you know how things are going since I have some good WIFI access here right now.

Spain is a very, very beautiful country -at least the sections I have seen from Madrid and up. And the residents are the most friendly people I have ever met - even friendlier than Canadians, lol.
An awesome country for sure.

My knee is holding out okay but my back is getting sorer each day. I expect to be in Santiago for Sunday, will bus to Finestarre one day the following week, and begin the journey home on Sept 30th.

This forum has been my lifeline in getting advice from all of the veterans - and a very special thanks to Johnny Walker.

P.s. with two MacDonalds and coca cola everywhere including a pop machine right on the trail just after Sarria, I may still be Tim the Fat Canadian when this is over, lol.

Tim

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In 24 days, we'll be starting our Camino from Roncesvalles. We appreciate all the help we've received from these forums and from the books: Cheri Powell's "Seven Tips to Make the Most of the Camino de Santiago," Paul Moylan's "Camino Planning Guide," and Jean-Christie Ashmore's "To Walk Far, Carry Less," which we read in that order. With the advice from all the postings in this wonderfully informative forum, we were able, over the past several months, to get our filled packs down to 18 pounds (mine: a Gregory Z40, Laura's a Gregory Jade 38), including the folded trekking poles. Because my feet are so wide, I will be walking in Merrell Refuges (mid-height) hiking boots. Laura will be wearing Montrail mid hiking boots. This time, we will have only 23 days to walk, so we will need to skip certain portions in order to do the final 100 km and reach Santiago. We already feel strongly that we will return to do those parts we will miss. Looking forward to seeing some of you on the way.
--Chris and Laura

Hola!! I will be travelling from Canada to begin the Camino Frances on Oct 24/25! I am very excited, but also a little nervous - I hope to hear from others who will be walking around the end of October and through November! I am walking alone and although I am reading and researching, I still have this feeling that nothing will be able to prepare me for the awesomeness I'm about to experience!!! Please reply and say hello if our Camino's coincide :)))

I have been in Santiago for a few days now. Met Johnny Walker - that was very cool. I enjoy watching all the new pilgrims as they go by my hotel which is across from the Catherdral - wide eyed with anticipation and excitement. Some holding hands as they walk - others singing and snapping pictures. It is so cool to watch them come in - and although it is almost the end of September, they are coming in a regular steady stream. Went to Finnestarre (bad spelling) and what a site. It was awesome. It is a 23€ round trip. Heading home Sunday. For those of you still to go, it is such an awesome journey that can not be duplicated anywhere. Buen Camino everyone!!!!!!

I walked the Camino Frances this past May/June and it was a life changing, wonderful experience! As soon as I returned to Phoenix, a pilgrim friend and I started the American Pilgrims on the Camino chapter here in Phoenix called Valley of the Sun Camino Chapter we have over 60 pilgrims! I plan on returning as a hospitalera next May ! as well as walk again, this time with my husband . Buen Camino!

I have been in Santiago for a few days now. Met Johnny Walker - that was very cool. I enjoy watching all the new pilgrims as they go by my hotel which is across from the Catherdral - wide eyed with anticipation and excitement. Some holding hands as they walk - others singing and snapping pictures. It is so cool to watch them come in - and although it is almost the end of September, they are coming in a regular steady stream. Went to Finnestarre (bad spelling) and what a site. It was awesome. It is a 23€ round trip. Heading home Sunday. For those of you still to go, it is such an awesome journey that can not be duplicated anywhere. Buen Camino everyone!!!!!!

Congratulations Tim....It was a great accomplishment and took strong resolve to return and complete the adventure.
Enjoy your stay in Santiago and start planning your return the Camino.

Hi Tim, Writing from Comox, BC. While out walking the other day I found myself thinking of you and wondering if you were on your way. How lovely to see your post this morning from Santiago. Though we've never met and may never do so, I wanted you to know that there's a teary-eyed, smiling face sending you this warm greeting from the west coast of Canada. So happy for you. Joan

And let me just add that ever since your first post I've smiled every time I've read "Tim-the-fat-Canadian." Thanks for that. And, of course, congrats!

I have been in Santiago for a few days now. .............. Heading home Sunday. For those of you still to go, it is such an awesome journey that can not be duplicated anywhere. Buen Camino everyone!!!!!!
Congratulations Tim, we were wondering how you were doing.
Time to ask Ivar to change your name to 'Tim-the-tenacious-Canadian' maybe??

Hi Tim,
Congratulations. You are a real example of "If at first you don't succeed, try, try and try again."

But surely by the time you reached Santiago your trousers were getting loose around the waist.!!,

I have said , "BY their baggy pants thou shall know them" meaning you will know those who have walked a long way.

You have been and are such an example to many of us.

Lydia

Thanks to everyone for their very kind words. The advice and guidance from the veterans on this forum was instrumental in allowing me to meet my goal - which was to walk to Santiago. I did improve my belt loop by 3 notches so I am assuming that I have lost some weight.

That being said, I have found both a Burger King and a MacDonalds in Santiago within walking distance (the advantage of being a pilgrim is that I can walk a very long distance). So in finding these two restaurants, the legond of Tim the Fat Canadian will live on!
I start the journey home tonight via all night bus to Madrid then fly back to Canada tomorrow afternoon

(I will update my blog once I get home and sort out my 4000 + pictures)

Once again, thank you all very much.

Tim

Well done Tim! Can´t wait to see your pics! Great!

Today has been my first day home after what was a total of 30 hours from the time I got on the bus in Santiago Sunday night to the time I got home from the Toronto airport last night.

Tonight I had a choice of either of begining to filter through my more than 4000 pictures that I took on the Camino so that I can begin uploading my blog, or go for a walk. I went for a walk, a long walk :D It is what Camino folks do :)

Hi, I'm Elana, from SF, California, and walking the camino has been a dream of mine for four years. I have been researching it for the last three months and was thinking of going in April/May 2013, but due to some changes at work, I'm going to be able to take a long vacation in November 2012 and I'm planning on going... much earlier than expected! I don't have time to do the whole thing, so I'll likely walk from Leon to Santiago de Compostela on the Camino Frances.

I've ordered some books and done a good deal of research, but I still haven't settled on a few things:
- a short-woman friendly lightweight backpack
- hiking shoes/sandals?
- which lightweight, WARM, sleeping bag to purchase

I'll be travelling alone. I'm a relatively fit woman in my late 20s... Walking is my primary mode of transport here in SF, as I don't own a car.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I'm so excited, even to go in early winter!

Hi Elana,
Isn't it exciting when you get to do something so meaningful a whole lot earlier than you expected!!
About backpacks - look at some of the Osprey light packs. I have an Osprey Kestral 38 and although I haven't taken it on the camino yet, I do have enough camino experience to know it will be great. There are Osprey packs and Deuter packs especially for women but I don't like the way the straps sit on me. They may, however, work for you so either would be worth a try.

Re:shoes or sandals? In November definitely waterproof shoes or maybe even light boots. It could be very rainy. The weather in Leon today is a low of 42 and a high of 60 and it's raining. Typically in November the temp varies between 2 and 10 degrees and 12 of the 30 days in Nov. are rainy.
I'm not trying to be a spoilsport but you will need to be prepared for some cold, wet weather, so rain jacket and even rain pants will be useful as well. I would take some silk or other long johns , a merino wool sweater and a fleecy vest as well. If it's an unusually warm November you can always mail things home or leave them for winter walkers.

Re: sleeping bag. Get whatever brand you can get that is good to about zero and weighs less than a kilo. It won't be that cold in the albergues but some of them will feel like it. If you think you will need more warmth there are often blankets in the albergues but some people are happy taking a light fleece blanket for extra warmth.

Have a wonderful trip and muy buen camino!

Hi All,

As planned, I have started from Carrion 2 weeks ago. I'm now in San Xulian and look forward to reach Santiago at Wednesday.

Galicia is beautiful these days, but very cold. So the sleeping bag is very welcome.

Best thoughts to all, Jacques-D.

Envoyé depuis mon ST18i avec Tapatalk

Hi Jacques! Enjoy the rest of your Camino and arrival in Santiago! Always amazing! As for your onward trip to Finisterre I think both the places I mention here will be open. They were 3 weeks ago at least.
santiago-to-finisterre-and-muxia/topic15675.html
Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.