• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2013

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
Hi to Geri and Verna,

Welcome to my fellow classmates. I am so excited to do this pilgrimage with all of you.

Whether it is to celebrate an important age milestone, to celebrate our return back to health after surgery or significant weight loss, to reconnect with spirit, to take in the beauty of the Spanish countryside and the history of its towns and cities, or thank God for the blessing of Christ each of us walks in a positive expectation of renewal, in appreciation and gratitude.

Even if we walk at different times, on different paths and for different reasons. With this forum we can share our knowledge, gain insight and knowledge from those who have gone before and support each other in our common goal.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
vdavis said:
I am Verna from Simonton, TX. My dearest friend and I are planning a Camino trip in 2013 to celebrate our turning 60. Thinking about going in May. Is this a good time to go? Because we only have 2-2-1/2 weeks, we are struggling with which portion we should do. Thinking of going from Leon to Santiago de Compostela - 300 km. To do this in 14 days would require 13 miles of daily walking. I would think that there would be a time that we wanted to rest and am not quite sure this plan is a good one. Can someone advise us?
Hi Verna!

Yes, that's realistic in 2-2.5 weeks. John Brierley's guide has that stage split into 13 stages. It will depend if that time includes travelling each end and how much time you want to spend in Santiago. Try to build in a bit of flexibility so you don't feel that you're rushing. Any spare time at the end can be spent enjoying Santiago or taking a trip out to Finisterre etc. Another option would be starting somewhere like Astorga.

May is a lovely time of year to go. It's before the summer heat and crowds, but all the albergues will be open. Buen Camino!

Torrent, You are lucky to have a group to train with. I am trying to train but solo going isn't as encouraging at training with others. I am hoping that this forum will help provide some of the support that I would get from a physical group and that I will be able to support others as they get themselves ready to go.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am going to give it a go for 2013! I have some knee issues to deal with and am in physical therapy now. I also want to take a language course in Spanish before I go. I am working on a target date for September. Will keep you posted! :D :D

I'll start training once I get the go-ahead from physio, probably end of summer. Lots of trails & moderate hills just down the road a-piece, I just ned to make the time. But there's one question that I haven't really seen addressed in the forums. How does the altitude affect folks when they first start out? I was in SJPP may 15 years ago, but only cycled back down to Hendaye (a fabulously hair-raising descent), so didn't really get to experience the effect of being up so high. Is there any altitude adjustment necessary (especially for cyclists.)

Hi, I am from NH and planning my first Camino next May when my granddaughter gets her Batchelors degree. She is an adventurist and loves the idea of travel so will accompany her 75 yr old grandmother on her first Camino. We might have one more grandchild (18) who also loves the idea of travel to go with us. I am so excited and have been training with a friend who will begin her journey this September (2012). I think about this journey every day and am counting the days until we can hop on to the plane and begin the trip. I love reading the info from all the people who have made the trip. I think I am in decent shape, but need to do a little more hiking to reach the needed number of miles each day on the trail. Thanks for sharing and hope to meet some of you on my first Camino! Wonzi

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Geri,

I was wondering about altitude as well. I live in a town where I am hardly ever more than 10' above sea level unless I am in a tall building.
I won't be riding but still altitude effects people even when they are sleeping.
Anyone from the lowlands have difficulty with this issue?

Hi!

Re. Altitude. This did come up as a concern fairly recently on another thread.

From what I read at the time on the UK's National Health Service website you never reach the altitude that could cause even minor effects on the human body. It can feel like we're climbing mountains, but they're really just big hills. :| Nothing to worry about.

Buen Camino!

Hello I'm paddy from Ireland I'm planing to walk from augsta in late may early June 2013 cant wait starting to buy gear already

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Everyone,

My name is Kathryn. I am planning on walking the Camino Francis in Sept/Oct 2013. I've been reading this forum for some time now and really appreciate all the advice and encouragement from all of you! I am having great fun planning my camino. I, too, am already buying gear. I can hardly wait for this year to go by and I can start my camino! Hopefully I will see some of you there.

Kathryn

Hello! My name is April, and I live in Kentucky. My husband and I plan to begin our trip in June 2013, no set date yet because we must figure out when school will release for the summer. We plan to take around 30 days to complete this journey. The plan is for our daughter to join us for the last week or so of the trip, along with her grandparents. Do you think that amount of time is appropriate for a 12 year old and her grandparents who are under 60 years old? We have been researching and planning for everything. We are so excited for this trip! The only problem I fear I may experience with this trip could be my seasonal allergies, what advice do others have?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi,

my name is Krystian and I'm from Warsaw, Poland. I plan to begin my pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port in June. Now I read about 7 kilos, light backpacks, stuff I need to take and stuff I should not take. ;)

Buen Camino!

Hola!
I returned from my first Camino a month ago today! It was deeper than wonderful and has certainly helped my vision to what is important. The weather was incredible on my Camino - rain, rain, snow and rain... I am not complaining as the weather was certainly a binding agent to those who walked together.

I miss my Camino family and eagerly for another set of emails and photos to relive meals, cafe con leche and drying out.

I am "addicted" and will be returning next September/October to experience a new Camino! As much as I am tempted to walk another route...I am committed to Camino Frances!

Hopefully I will see you SJPdP

Memphis Mike

Hello from Canada! My name is Suzie and I'm from Vancouver, BC. Who knew there would be a Class of 2013? I am thrilled! My plans are to do the Camino Frances starting end of April. I bought my boots and have been 'practicing' (not training LOL). Last weekend I walked 12K and carried 12lbs. Boy could I feel it at the end! Although many have said they want to walk with me, I suspect I will be alone.
I am happy to be part of this Forum.
:) Suzie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My online name is TrevelArabol, but I guess as a pilgrim I'll just go by me, Lyndee.
A friend of mine is class of 2012 and encouraged me to pursue this and at first I was concerned to do it as a single woman, but I see that's not really a problem, and as I do most things independently I am looking forward to meeting many new friends on the Way.
I also just saw Emilio Esteves' movie, "The Way" and became convinced I need to do this. I'm looking at June-July 2013. It's summer then, is that a good time :?:

"Class of 2013". Definitely has an infectious ring to it. High school class of '64 (We'll go far cause we've got more! We're the Class of Sixty-Four!) I know, it takes up valuable space in my brain, but I can't get rid of it. "Iowa State-Sixty-Eight! Catchy, too, but sounds a bit ancient now. Farmer John here, from the deep, black, rich soils of Iowa. Farming moves by seasons, not by days or weeks, so I have to "back plan" my seasons to try to nail down the jumping off date for my much dreamed for and sought-after Camino. As it stands now, I've pegged post-planting season 2013 as the time of departure.That makes it pretty much exactly one year from right now. Camino Frances starting from Le Puy has emerged as the preferred route for my inaugural trek on the Way of St. James. In addition to some very good books I have purchased, I plan on relying most heavily on this forum to make my preparations. My work on the farm keeps me very active and long distance biking is my avocation, but I'm well aware that hiking significant distances daily will require different and diligent training. I welcome that. I have livestock to feed and care for daily, and that will be the biggest planning challenge for me, but it's not an insurmountable problem. Checking in on this Forum daily will keep me focused on the goal. Hope to verbally meet many of the Class of 2013 as the days and seasons progress. A hopeful pilgrim, FJ

Hello Class of 2013!
My name is Joni and i live near Tampa Florida. I heard about this pilgrimage about a year ago and after seeing the movie "The Way" decided that this was how I wanted to spend part of my summer next year. I teach nursing in a local college and so have to finish my semester and then i will be ready to go-probably around May 15th. I spend lots of time on this forum and it's been so great to read and really exciting to see all of the info shared. I already have a pack, and other gear and so am pretty well set. now for the wait!

You're ready to go Joni! Have a great time. May is a great time to walk.

Buen Camino!

WayWalker63 said:
@Jeffnd - I know what you mean about obsessing. :wink: The call to the Camino has transfixed nearly everything even my much anticipated trip to Ireland this fall. I know what you mean about being out of shape. I am as well but I have about 30 years on you. So if I can do it I know you can. Just take it slow and steady. I walked a whole 4 miles yesterday (with a nice lunch break in the middle) and lived. :eek: I will be doing just about 30-40 minutes today. Enough to work out the kinks in my muscles and let my body heal from yesterday's abuse. When I walked 30min a couple weeks ago I felt like I would die any second! :(

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm slowly trying to build up my walking abilities, but I have learned the importance of proper footwear. I don't have any real walking shoes, so I just took off in my tennis shoes, which have zero support. I'm seriously paying for it with blisters and hurt ankles. Time to get some real boots to break in I guess.

Farmer John, it sounds like we'll be there about the same time. I grew up on a farm, so I know that it must be hard to take such a long time off, especially in the summer.

Hi- my name is Leanne, and I feel that if I put this out there in cyberspace, then I have to make it come true. I am currently planning to walk the Camino in May 2013, starting with a small section of Pamploma to Lograno. Wish I had a full month to do the whole thing, but cannot take that much time from work. I just saw the movie, "The Way" and have thought of nothing else for the past week. How does that happen? From reading here, I'm not the only one. All of a sudden it just seems like something that you HAVE to do. Anyway, I have been filling my head with all the information that I can, and feel that I am up to the challenge. Starting in Pamploma to avoid the Pyrenees because I'm not sure I'm up to that. I have airline employee flying privileges, so flying in/out of Madrid is doable.

My first step (so to speak) is to purchase a pair of walking boots to get them broken in. I'm 57 years old and in fairly decent athletic shape, working out 5 days per week, but still feel that I need to get some long walks in to train for the journey.

I've told my family that I want to do this, but I'm sure they think that I am not serious about it. I'll have to start breaking it to them gently, because I plan to walk alone. Anyway, that's my story and hoping to connect with other classmates for 2013.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Jeffnd!

It will be good for us to encourage one another as this year progress. Obviously, getting the correct footwear is an important first step. It will be easy for you to get overwhelmed with the myriad of choices out there, and the amazing amount of money that can be spent on them. On my farm, it's normal for me to wear out a pair of good quality boots every year just in everyday walking and wear and tear. Admittedly, they exist in a, to be polite, harsh, environment. The point is, there are a lot of good boots/hikers/trainers out there. But there is only ONE set of feet for them, yours. The more you walk, the tougher your skin will get, IF you don't abuse it. If you got serious blisters walking for only half an hour, you've got some pretty tender skin to get toughened up. Wait for your blisters to heal up, find a recommended pair of boots, a quality pair of socks (Just as important in my eyes and the eyes of the USMC, who taught me all I know about marching/hiking/walking) and start walking. Start out something less than what caused your blisters, do it often and gradually increase the distances.

We're all in this together- Farmer John

Hello, my name is Denise and I have decided to walk the Camino Frances to celebrate my 45th year on this planet. I am a newbie in all respects and haven't decided whether to go in the Spring or Fall of 2013. Either way, I hope to meet some of you out on the trail in 2013. Buen Camino! :D

Restless Welcome. We are much alike. I will start in late April at SJPP and maybe we will meet. I to was struck by the movie The Way caused me to immediately start researching which lead me to this forum. I just picked up a set of boots at REI (thank you Jessica), it took almost two hours and I don't have a clue to how many I tried on. Different lacing methods to easy off tender places. REI also will accept returns at no cost. Jessica was a trooper and very knowledgable. I can highly recommend REI. My family is not an issue, they think I have gone mad :lol: . They are very supportive but have little interest in walking 8k much less 800k

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, I'm just new to the forum today, and hope to begin my pilgramage in early September '13 or possibly April/May '13, to avoid the strong sun of the summer months. Can anyone suggest a route for me that could be completed in 2 weeks ( and won't be too hilly :)). I plan to travel alone, so one of the routes most travelled would be great!!
Mo

Hi Mo123,

Welcome to the forum. I am kind of new here myself. I will be walking in September-October for that same reason and to avoid the summer crowds. I will only have about 3 weeks :( and so I plan to do a portion of the Camino Frances which is the most popular route. I will probably start from Leon or some where west of there. I have put some feelers out to my family and have interest from a few but may find myself doing this trip on my own. At least until I meet up with the other prilgrims on the road to Santiago :D
If you decide to walk in September who knows we might meet up some where. I will have my Forum patch on my backpack.

@Jeffnd

I know what you mean about the shoes. I had what I thought were good shoes and they might have been if they fit correctly for walking. I have spent the last couple weeks hunting down good walking shoes. I am not doing the boots yet since the guy at outfitter store recommended that I wait until about 4 months before my trips so I could build up the muscles in my ankles and not wear out the boots and have to purchase another pair. I finally settled on a New Balance W1080LS2 with NB insoles. I am also getting custom orthotics this Friday. I want to have all my foot issues sorted out before I get on the trail. :roll: . Which ever way you go make sure the shoes fit and that your toes can play the piano inside the toe box. :lol: I can tell you even with out the orthotics it is like night and day walking now as compared to a couple weeks ago. I am ready to chuck all my other shoes in the trash bin!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola!

My name is Nancy. I am from the Los Angeles area. I am planning to go September 2013. I can't wait ~ to put it mildly! :wink: I have been wanting to do this for almost 5 years now. I have told everyone about my dream of walking the Camino. Even one of my friends I told is currently walking ~The Way. I have inspired several other friends to make the journey someday. I have read and bought a lot books over the last five years to help keep my dream alive. You might ask, "Why have I waited for so long?" The reason is that I help care take my 95 year old, wonderful Dad! I thought, I would make the journey, after his journey here was over. I have come to realize that he might live for another 5 years or more! Also, something might happen to me in the meantime? I don't want to live with any regrets. Luckily, I have two terrific older siblings who will help out while I am gone. My Dad has given me his full blessing. I can't tell you how much that means to me. He even insisted on buying me my backpack. He loved the one I picked out too. :D

My work is totally behind my adventure too. I am already starting to walk home from work occasionally. Plus, I try to hike every weekend. I have already bought some new boots that I need to break in, since I know my current pair might not last another 500 miles. :roll:

For me, I feel the Fall will be the best time to go. Plus, my birthday is in the Fall. I always like doing/going on adventure to celebrate another year on this planet. This will be the biggest one yet!

This is my first post I hope I did it right?

Buen Camino ~ Class of 2013!

Nancy :D

Hi Nancy!

Enjoy all your planning. It's great that you've got the support of your family, friends and work.

Others on this forum have mentioned leaving a map or web links with relatives so they can follow your progress and feel part of the experience. Your Dad and siblings might enjoy that.

Buen Camino!

Hi everyone-
need advice from some of you with more experience on the camino. My husband wants to do a portion of it with me- and i don't know what portion I should have him do with me, the beginning or the end. I like the idea of him starting off with me, cause then he would be a part of the excitement of starting the camino and I would in some ways feel more comfortable that there were 2 of us finding our way from the U.S. to Madrid to SJPdP to get me started. However, in some ways it would be great if we could meet up to walk the end portion to celebrate the end and see the cathedral and then come home with together. The only problem I can forsee is meeting up somewhere in the middle, although I am sure there are plenty of ways to stay in touch with each other to meet, if needed. Advice please on what others have successfully done---
thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Everyone, it's great hearing from you all...it really seems to be like a bug that gets a grip of you and cant be shaken off :) Reading everyone elses posts just excites me more..by the way, is there a way to reply to individual messages without using pm?

Hey, my names Colin

I will be starting my Camino June 2013, after I graduate. So far the only thing set in stone, is that i'll be leaving the United States, arriving in Paris, and then leaving from Barcelona and flying back to the United States. Planning on 35 - 40 days for the trip. Going it alone, but hoping to find some friends along the way. Who knows, maybe if i buy a forum badge, i'll be able to find a fellow forum member along the way.

jackiec said:
Hi i am jackie, i am from South Africa. Planning to walk in September 2013, very much looking forward. :D
Hi Jackie! Welcome to the forum. September is a good time to walk. Buen Camino!

I got my forum badge yesterday! Exciting stuff, and I am going to sew it on my pack right now! In a year, I will be 30 days into my camino and hopefully only will have 10 days left to walk.

Hi, my name is Bonnie and I live in California. Earlier today I posted an introduction saying that my heart felt goal is to walk El Camino de Santiago in Aug/Sept 2013. Then I started reading the many comments from other class of 2013 members, so I wanted to add my name to the list. Stating things aloud - or in print - helps to fulfill the dream. I have many things to consider - like having to put my things in storage and giving up my apartment (can't afford both my rent and the pilgrimage), fighting with my daughters who will both think I am nuts, you know, simple things like that. But I can't stop thinking about it and feel I must do it for myself. Hope to meet some of you other late summer 2013 pilgrims along the way.

Buen Camino,
Bonnie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, I am 78 years old and I can't tell you how long this has been on my bucket list. Procrastination and life's bumbling blocks have put it so far back and now it is near the top. Am I too old to do it? I am not fit and a bit overweight, but have set myself some fitness goals and figure I can be fit enough (?) by next spring. I know I will be slow so I don't know if a companion is willing to do it at a slow pace. I retired a couple of years ago so am in no rush. Any hints as to the flatest terrain, the shortest and or easiest route will be so helpful. Also if there are some other seniors out there that might like to get together for a last hurrah, let me know. Goals with companions is so much easier to reach.

I admit that I am one that has read this site for ages, but just joined today, no longer an onlooker, I want to do it. Encouragement would help. I haven't told my kids because they would all panic. I told my granddaughter that I would sky dive with her on my 80th birthday, I got a rousing, "we will see about that when the time comes".... from her mother.

Hi enosfolly and welcome!

You'll find others walking at your pace I'm sure! Although it's nice to have someone to travel with, that can also tie you to someone else's pace and preferences, so just trust yourself and other pilgrims around you to enjoy each other's company and support.

You ask about shortest and flattest routes. How far do you want to walk, or how long do you want to walk for? The main hilly sections are from St Jean to Roncesvalles, after Astorga around the Cross of Iron, and O Cebreiro. Needless to say there are a few other smaller ones in between. If you want a long walk maybe start in Pamplona rather than St Jean to avoid the mountains. For a shorter one perhaps start in Sarria.

Just take your time, have a phone with taxi number from the last albergue (ask a Spanish pilgrim to call it for you if you don't speak Spanish), and don't be afraid to use luggage transfers or buses when required. On this forum we sometimes make the Camino sound like climbing Everest, but it isn't. You'll love it. :D

If your kids all kick off it's just because a) they love you, b) they're worried about you, and c) they're jealous! :twisted:

Buen Camino!

Hi I'm a newbie pilgrim from Portugal planning to take the route from SJPP to Compostela starting on the 26th of April. Thank you for creating such an amazing forum full of useful sharing and information.
Greetings from Portugal
Ultreya!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hedwig said:
Hello, I am Hedwig from Holland. I walked this year from Leon to Santiago de Compostela. Left on Monday the 18th of April and arrived wednesday the 4th of May.It was the most wonderful time of my life! And I have decided to go again in 2013. This decision has made me calmer and I feel better now. I still miss my wakingcompanions, they were with me from Ruitelan to Santiago. I wonder if I can replace these memories for new memories.
I have 3 weeks, so maybe the same stretch..... Suggestions are welcome.
Hi! Good to hear that you want to do it again!

I really hope to join the Class of 2013...

I have been walking my own Camino from Amsterdam in pieces. Arrived in Auxerre last summer. Hope to move on via Vézelay and heading for Le Puy en Velay in September. And then, the big plan... in one stroke on to Santiago next summer! Starting in Montbrison (about 100 kms before Le Puy) the beginning of July and arriving in Santiago the end of September.

I really, really hope my employer can miss me that long...

Hello everyone……..what a great forum! I have been reading posts for the last month and finally got around to joining.

My name is Jay, I am 43 years old, and I am from California. I have been interested in walking the Camino for years and next April (2013) I will do it !

I have a lot of family in Northern Spain and I like to visit them once a year. I have done short day trips on various parts of the Camino, but next year will finally be my chance at more. I will be in a wedding near Pamplona in early May, and I have freed up 28 solid days (in April) to devote to the Camino. Wish I had more time, but that’s all I have before family commitments for the wedding.

Still working on my plan since I will have to bus it over a few sections to accommodate my 28- day limit. Thinking of starting in Pamplona but may still start in SJPP. Either way I am looking forward to it !!!!

I am sure I will have plenty of questions as my time nears………Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello Class of 2013!!

My name is Kristina and my husband (Aj) and I will be walking the Camino from SJPDP to Santiago in June/July of '13. Of course if funds permitted right now we would be on the next flight! I live near Cincinnati, Ohio. We have just begun to plan/train for our trip. We don't have dates set in stone yet, but just from looking at flight info I believe we may fly into either Paris or Madrid and take a bus/train to SJPDP. I have begun to learn Spanish as well, although it is going pretty slowly.

Anyway I wanted to introduce myself to all of you. Buen Camino!

AKJohnson said:
Hello Class of 2013!!

My name is Kristina and my husband (Aj) and I will be walking the Camino from SJPDP to Santiago in June/July of '13. Of course if funds permitted right now we would be on the next flight! I live near Cincinnati, Ohio. We have just begun to plan/train for our trip. We don't have dates set in stone yet, but just from looking at flight info I believe we may fly into either Paris or Madrid and take a bus/train to SJPDP. I have begun to learn Spanish as well, although it is going pretty slowly.

Anyway I wanted to introduce myself to all of you. Buen Camino!

Nice to meet you Kristina,

I will be doing my first Camino in April. I am also in the early planning stages, but at least my dates are set. I am also excited and wish I could start tomorrow !!!

Buen Camino !

Hola and welcome Kristina, Aj and Caminobull (??) to the class of 2013

Hope to see you on the path somewhere next year

My wife Catherine and I should be starting towards the end of April and expect to take around 35 to 40 days. St Jean to Santiago (CF).

We have booked tickets to London already for April 6 from Melbourne Australia. Hoping to have couple of weeks seeing Prague and Vienna before taking a train across France to the Pyrenees.

This will be our second Camino having completed the CF in April 2009.
We cant wait to get back there. I am a little obsessed and already have our packs ready, weighed and waiting in the corner and it's still 9 months away.

We have a blog at
http://www.walkingtotheend.com
if you want to look at some of our pics and Catherine's diary from 2009.

Make sure you get a forum badge so others know you part of this great group of people once you're on the way.

Buen Camino
Ian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ian and Catherine from NZ

Just viewed your blog and videos of Camino 2012. Video series are particularly touching and rich in detail. Edited with intelligence and feeling, nice mixture of music, interviews and landscape.

Camera details please ?

BC for 2013
soch

Add two more to the "Class of 2013". Steve & Wendy from Tamborine Mountain, Qld Australia. We have been talking about doing this for years but after watching "The Way" we have made the desision not to delay it any longer. Hope to start mid to late April 2013 and will spend up to 8 weeks on the trail as we are both retired and in no hurry.

Greetings to all the newest members of the Class of 2013! It's looking like a wonderfully diverse and interesting group.
Temps in Iowa have been extreme since July has arrived. The last four days have broken the hundred degree mark each day. I remind myself that a year from now, the conditions could be the same in Spain.
I wanted to pass on what looks to be a valid and useful tip, one I can take no credit for inventing. As I have said in earlier posts, the training I am doing now involves daily walking of 5 to 6 miles regardless of the heat. As can be expected, the amount of sweat produced under these conditions is about as much as the body can produce. It makes for wet and hot feet in a very short time. The tip I came upon suggested coating the soles and sides of the feet with a good quality antiperspirant. I'm already wearing a good pair of light "wicking" socks and a pair of heavier hiking socks. This application really helped keep the bottoms of my feet dry where the hot spots usually develop first. Admittedly, I haven't tried the process out yet on a 10 or 15 miler, but when I do, I'll pass on the results of that test also.
Still planning on mid-May start at LePuy and checking off the fast disappearing weeks of 2012.

A hopeful Pilgrim,
Farmer John

Hi, my name is Vincent. I will be 63 in August. Next Wednesday I'm having my right hip replaced. I plan to walk the Camino Frances starting at St Jean on Sept. 8, 2013 which is the birthday of my childhood friend who died last year. I would like to arrive in Santiago on Oct. 11th, the anniversary of his death. I want to honor the wonderful person he was, and how much I miss him.

Buen Camino!

Hello!

I’m probably going to be doing the Camino Frances (solo female) starting about Monday April 22 with an aim of reaching Santiago about Sunday May 26. I’ll also want to continue on to Finisterre May 27-29th or thereabouts. I’m excited! I remember when I first saw the painted yellow shell on a street in Rabastens (a small market town in southwest France) and vowed I’ll be doing this walk one day – this was the spring of 2006. Six years flew by and I’ve finally decided, you know what? Just go. So I’m finally planning! And besides, it will be a great way to enter my 30s with a bang! But first I gotta request the time off :wink:

- T

Hola to all my new classmates! Welcome to the forum. I am hoping we can support each other over the coming months so that we all experience our Camino.
I am planning to walk a portion of the Camino Frances, probably from Leon or somewhere west of there, next September. That's my plan!
However, the doubts are setting in. Trying not to listen to those mean voices that say I can not do it, that question my reasons and the expense.
Right now I am putting my Camino on a back burner and focusing on my long anticipated trip to Ireland (99 days to go) and getting healthier so I give myself the best chance possible to make it to Santiago in one piece.
Starting Spanish class tonight, hopefully by next year I will be a little more proficient.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi everyone, Count me IN! I am going to be walking the Camino for the first time. Planning to start out in mid-to-late April 2013. So excited to do this! Need to start training and planning for it both in body mind and spirit. Here's to my effort to go from "Couch potato to Camino" in 9 months! Holly242 from Jacksonville Florida!

Hey All
Glad to see so many planning their walk in the fall. I am leaving in late August of 2013 and will start on my first Camino hike from SSJP. Plan on just taking it slow and enjoying. Walking has always been my greatest pleasure in life. To be on a trail where everyone is determined to go on will be heaven. LOL
:D

Hi, I'm planning on doing the Frances from SJPDP mid April 2013. It will be the second time for me but first for my friend :) I'm looking forward to staying in some different Albergues and doing more sightseeing (if I'm not too weary ;) )
Buen Camino

Such a good idea to connect fellow pilgrims. I am leaving our home in SW France (directly on the route and mentioned in some of the French guide books)early/mid May 2013. I will probably be going alone (unless I can cajole another retiree here to start with me) Ten months away and I have started packing already! Still in the throes of convincing my husband that I have to do this, but am unbelievably excited and think of it each morning when I wake up. Anyone else having trouble convincing husbands/wives/partners, or any tips on how to do it?!

RestlessInMissouri said:
Hi- my name is Leanne, and I feel that if I put this out there in cyberspace, then I have to make it come true. I am currently planning to walk the Camino in May 2013, starting with a small section of Pamploma to Lograno. Wish I had a full month to do the whole thing, but cannot take that much time from work. I just saw the movie, "The Way" and have thought of nothing else for the past week. How does that happen? From reading here, I'm not the only one. All of a sudden it just seems like something that you HAVE to do. Anyway, I have been filling my head with all the information that I can, and feel that I am up to the challenge. Starting in Pamploma to avoid the Pyrenees because I'm not sure I'm up to that. I have airline employee flying privileges, so flying in/out of Madrid is doable.

My first step (so to speak) is to purchase a pair of walking boots to get them broken in. I'm 57 years old and in fairly decent athletic shape, working out 5 days per week, but still feel that I need to get some long walks in to train for the journey.

I've told my family that I want to do this, but I'm sure they think that I am not serious about it. I'll have to start breaking it to them gently, because I plan to walk alone. Anyway, that's my story and hoping to connect with other classmates for 2013.

Hi Leanne, my name is Karin and I posted earlier today. I am leaving from SW France on about 10 May. You are a little younger than me and fitter, but leaving at around the same time and have exactly the same thoughts. I seem to be obsessed about it! And the film didn't help! Now I am ordering all the books and maps to read to help me through the next ten months. Husband has forebodings - but once I have bought my boots and rucksack, then perhaps he will admit that I am being serious! Hope we meet up?

Bon Jour Karin!
I'd be happy to trade some of my stamina and/or conditioning, which you consider yourself short on, for what I presume to be your command of French, living in the SW of France. My plans have me starting from LePuy mid-May 2013 for an all-in-one-go to Santiago. Since that route is nearly half spent in France, my feeling of least preparedness is learning/knowing enough of the language to make that part of the pilgrimage as enjoyable as I know it can be. I've started using the Pimsleur Learning Tapes as I do my daily hikes and think they are quite effective for an old farmer who hasn't studied any languages for 50 years. I would sincerely like to be able to master at least minimal conversation with the citizens of that beautiful country as I pass through it. Yours is the first post I have found on this forum with a great "French Connection" :eek: !
A hopeful Pilgrim,
Farmer John

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ola everyone! I'm Michelle and new to the forum. This is my fist post but I have enjoyed reading all of your posts! Hoping to start in SJPdP and finish in Santiago in 2013 taking about 5 weeks. Have been dreaming of this for my whole life it seems. I'm from Coffs Harbour NSW Australia if anyone out there is like minded for training and chats etc. Happy travels.. :D

Hello to all - My wife, Terra, and I (Kevin) are planning for Fall 2013 (Sept/Oct) from SJPdP. We are not in a hurry so plan on taking it all in with a potential goal of reaching Santiago on October 23 to celebrate our 37th wedding anniversary. We are from Las Vegas, Nevada and really look forward to the many people we will meet and the quiet reflections the Camino seems to provide. Having just retired from 37 years in the fire service, I look forward to the "detox" that the Camino offers and the opportunity to reconnect to my wife. While already getting funny looks from some when we talk about it, our young niece was so excited she ran out and purchased us several guide books and maps. Our three daughters are now saying they would like to go. One I could see. The other two I am not sure there is enough outlets for their blowdryers and curling irons! LOL. I really look forward to chatting with anyone who is planning for Fall 2013. Kevin

A selection of Camino Jewellery
February 2013 is my goal. I considered the Portuges Coastal route, but I am going alone so I settled on the French route. I think about it every day. Sometimes I want to chicken out, raising all kinds of road blocks for myself. "Stay the course" keeps floating around in my head, pushing the doubts away. Thank you for this forum.

Hi All! I am planning to do el Camino Frances starting mid Sept. thru Oct. in 2013. I want to take it slow to drink in every wonderful moment, even spending an extra day in locations worth the extra time. It's not a race and I want to cherish every day. I would have loved to do the Camino del Norte, but since I will be alone I opted for el Camino Frances. I am looking forward to meeting many that are as driven to do this as I am. I grew up on a farm (Minnesota), am now on a high altitude ranch (Colorado), I will be simplifying my life and living in northern Nevada by the time I make this journey. Can't think of a better thing to do in my retirement than el Camino, no matter which route! If anyone, two, or more want to meet up and start together, that would be great! No whining allowed, only laughs and happy times! Susan
email me at: mtnfoxtrotter@gmail.com The foxtrotter is for the breed of horse, not the dance.

Cbeelex said:
February 2013 is my goal. I considered the Portuges Coastal route, but I am going alone so I settled on the French route. I think about it every day. Sometimes I want to chicken out, raising all kinds of road blocks for myself. "Stay the course" keeps floating around in my head, pushing the doubts away. Thank you for this forum.

Cheelex,

Welcome to the Forum!

It is wonderful to have a goal and now February 2013 on the Camino Frances is yours.
For your planning these Forum threads hold a wealth of information.

Past pilgrims love to share their advice and experiences. Such sharing is a large part of the Camino spirit; besides being informative for future pilgrims it help keeps memories current for experienced pilgrims as we recall our journeys anew.

Be sure to read the encyclopedic information on Winter Walking compiled by Sillydoll who is a Forum member at http://amawalker.blogspot.fr/ Another good account of winter walking by a Forum member is the 2010 blog http://agoodwalkunspoiled.blogspot.fr/

Have you walked in winter elsewhere? Can you read the sky? Winter walking is NOT for the inexperienced. Be sure to do a Forum search on the terms Winter Walking to see what equipment/techniques other pilgrims suggest as necessary. The weather can truly be treacherous during the winter months and you MUST take precautions. Whenever a snow storm hits it is imperative to walk on the road, seek shelter, ask the locals for advice and wait for the weather to clear. Don't take chances.

Wanting to continue from Villafranca Montes de Oca to San Juan Ortega in February 2006 when the path was completely hidden under deep snow I waited snowbound two days in the Villafranca municipal albergue for the storm to finish. Similarly in March 2009 the path was totally obliterated by deep snow drifts from Foncebadon to the Cruz de Ferro; at the albergue Monte Irago in Foncebadon all waited two days and nights for clearer skies. Such blustery experiences are NOT for the fainthearted.

Whatever you decide I wish you Buen Camino,

Margaret

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Buen Camino Suzy! You sound as if you have a clear idea of how you want to make your Camino! Others may want to do it in a different way, so just be prepared to lose and pick up fellow peregrino friends along the way. Ask yourself how flexible you will be depending on who you meet and want to continue walking with. There's no right or wrong, and whatever you choose when you're there you'll love it! :D

Hello,

My name is Leslie and I am from Denver, Colorado, I am going to start the Le Puy to Muxia Camino Starting on March 17th 2013 by myself. This is my first Camino de Santiago. I got the inspiration from that wonderful Emilio Estevez movie. I hope and plan on finishing by July 3rd. I am 52 year old, over weight and disabled married woman with 5 (15 - 33 year old) children, I am a little scared but I just know with all the knowledge I have gotten off this site and the encouragement from my family and friends I will be able to have the adventure of my life. I hope I see many of you from the class of 2013 there. I will also be doing a blog and taking lots of pictures and filming as often as I can. http://ornerywomanwalking.wordpress.com/.

Buen Camino!
Leslie

Hi Leslie from Denver,
Congratulations - that's a long walk for a first camino! (or for a second or third one for that matter). My friend and I are also planning to walk from Le Puy to Finisterra and Muxia about that time although our actual start date is not yet fixed. We're from the west coast of Canada. I've walked a couple of times from SJPP and done two shorter caminos as well. I tried to access your blog site but it's logged off as private as you probably know. You've no doubt done enough research to know that you'll likely encounter some snow in those March and early April days and, of course, it will likely be really hot at the end of June. What I've done in the past to make sure I'm warm enough for early spring walking(but not carrying extra clothes when it does warm up) is to bring along layers including some older ones that I don't mind leaving behind for other walkers when the warm weather hits.
Hope to meet up with you along the way.
Buen camino
Cecelia

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I started in early March this year for a taste of a quiet, winter camino. I would not do it again. The crowds are small, which is nice, but too many places were closed even when it became early April. France will be similar. In April in France it was surprisingly cold, so be ready for that and the extra weight involved in clothes for three season.

Bon chemin and buen camino.

Luka said:
I really hope to join the Class of 2013...

I have been walking my own Camino from Amsterdam in pieces. Arrived in Auxerre last summer. Hope to move on via Vézelay and heading for Le Puy en Velay in September. And then, the big plan... in one stroke on to Santiago next summer! Starting in Montbrison (about 100 kms before Le Puy) the beginning of July and arriving in Santiago the end of September.

I really, really hope my employer can miss me that long...
My employer didn't say no! He didn't say yes either, but I have the feeling that we can work this out. I am getting more and more excited!!

Hello again!

My children kept telling me they could not get into my blog and I finally went in and discovered how to make this public, hopefully everyone can read it now, If not let me know. In response to my time of starting my camino, I absolutely love snow I am hoping there is plenty of snow when I get there, I am in my post menopausal state and heat is a big boo! I do not know what else to do to avoid the heat of June. I also will be bringing my tent so if there is no places open yet I will at least have my tent. I hope I see you there.
http://ornerywomanwalking.wordpress.com/

Buen Camino!
Leslie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Trishkerry said:
Hi,
Today I learned that I am allowed to take all my 2013 leave at the same time :D Which means that I SHALL be on the Camino de Santiago route from May 20th to June 21st 2013. I am soooo excited. I have already bored the pants off of anyone that will listen. Most think Im crazy ,hay ho :shock: They all ask me 'Why' ?. I honestly dont know why at the moment, its just something that I feel I have to do. I will probably know why when ive done it.
So I am going to invest in a good quality rucksack and walking boots and start my training ASAP.
Any one else planning to be en route around that time ?

Trish
Hi,
I am going tо accomplish same journey, starting from SJPP. Could be great to start together, if you don't mind.
Plamen

Hi to all dreamers are here.
I will be at SJPP south France around 20 may 2013. Shell be happy if somebody share with me this unforgettable journey.
Plamen

Greetings from south of Sydney Australia.

My bride and I will be walking from Saria or thereabouts late April early May 2013- we both still work so have limited leave, but now our sons are allegedly more independant we can finally holiday without them!
I am an ethusiasic bush walker Margert a strong beginer, we both have a lot to learn I am excited by all the possibilities.
Safe walking all of you.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello everyone,

Yes, I admit to stalking this forum for an obsessive month or so. This is my first post. I have been putting this off because if I actually introduce myself to the class of 2013, that means that I have made a decision to go. I suspect that the Camino has already decided that I'm going, thus I feel the constant tug to read these forums and anything else I can get my hands on, instead of working! :oops:

I guess I am slowing catching up to what the camino wants of me and so yes, I am finally declaring my intention to go in May/June 2013. There, I said it!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm looking forward to preparing to walk the Camino with you all over the next months...

Patricia

SkyDancer said:
I have been putting this off because if I actually introduce myself to the class of 2013, that means that I have made a decision to go.

I guess I am slowing catching up to what the camino wants of me and so yes, I am finally declaring my intention to go in May/June 2013. There, I said it!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

That seems to be the hardest part, doesn't it? Admitting that you're actually going to do this.

Congrats on the May/June dates, that's when I'll be heading out too! It'll be my first time as well.

Oh, and I don't think St. James asks anything other than that you be there.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, I'm Doug, from Georgia in the US.

I plan to do my first camino (francés) beginning mid-June 2013. I'm used to high humidity and biking long distances, but walking will be a new challenge. I am a light traveler and hope to use just my 30 liter REI day pack. I'm not decided on shoes yet.

A question: a friend suggested that running might be a good wy to train. I wonder if others have done this. I am NOT a runner, but I am willing to try.

Btw, I first really got interested when I read the book by German comedian Hape Kerkeling.

Thanks, all. Great forums!

Great to see so many of you starting SJPP around 20 May - I will have started alone (although others here are being tempted by my great plan) 10 May in Gers department where we live. Hopefully my body will have become accustomed to this new routine by then - no lolling around in bed in the mornings reading my iPad...! Only nine months to go, so better get up! Look forward to meeting new friends of class of 2013 along the Way.

CaminoGen said:
Hello, I'm Geneviève, from Montréal Québec. I have just returned from my first Camino. I walked from SJPdP to Santiago from May 14 to June 18. I am now a Camino addict and have already started planning my 2013 Camino. I am lucky that I can accumulate some paid hours that are added to my yearly 20 days of vacation; by 2013 I will have more than 6 weeks to do the camino.

Some people may think "She's still on a high from her last Camino. Give her a few months and she'll stop thinking about doing it again". By putting my name in the Class of 2013, I am making a promise to myself to do this again.

The only decision i have to make now is: Should I go in May-June again or late September-October?

Hello Geneviève. I'm Laura, also from Montreal, and also trying to arrange my work schedule so that I can start my camino in Barcelona in the fall of 2013. I'd love to get your advice and hear about your experiences, if I may.

I've loved reading the posts here.... I'm rather shy about talking about myself, so do forgive my brevity. I teach at university here in Montreal and my son is now old enough to be on his own, so it's time for me to think of ME, finally! I completed an undergraduate degree in Spanish lit years and years and years ago, and have the best memories from my time in Barcelona. I've travelled extensively, and wanted a new challenge, of a different nature than being a "tourist" (nothing wrong with being a tourist, mind you). I'm smitten by the idea of the camino...

Merci d'avance!

Laura

SkyDancer said:
Hello everyone,

Yes, I admit to stalking this forum for an obsessive month or so. This is my first post. I have been putting this off because if I actually introduce myself to the class of 2013, that means that I have made a decision to go. I suspect that the Camino has already decided that I'm going, thus I feel the constant tug to read these forums and anything else I can get my hands on, instead of working! :oops:

I'm looking forward to preparing to walk the Camino with you all over the next months...

Patricia
Hi Patricia
I took my decision already and will be there - Camino Frances, about 10 of may next year. Could be nice to meet interesting people all the countries.
See you there
Plamen

My husban is retiring in July 2013 - I am already retired :)
We are planning to start from Le Puy en Velay in October of 2013.
Just began studying french . Usually we stay fit, we will be walking from Porto to Muxia October 2012 but have to intensify my uphill traings :(
We are Camino addicted, of course :)

Hello fellow pilgrims: I am Julie from Arizona, USA. My life partner, Will, and I plan to walk in April, May, and June of 2013. We are newbies. We are not sure it will take us more than 50 or 60 days, but we intend to remain flexible so as to fully -- and safely -- enjoy the journey. I have spent many hours reviewing this forum. Thank you all for the thoughtful sharing. I am already truly overwhelmed by this experience. Although I have read quite a bit, I have an initial question that I have not seen addressed. Is April too early to start? Thank you for your opinions.

juliecarteraz said:
Hello fellow pilgrims: I am Julie from Arizona, USA. My life partner, Will, and I plan to walk in April, May, and June of 2013. We are newbies. We are not sure it will take us more than 50 or 60 days, but we intend to remain flexible so as to fully -- and safely -- enjoy the journey. I have spent many hours reviewing this forum. Thank you all for the thoughtful sharing. I am already truly overwhelmed by this experience. Although I have read quite a bit, I have an initial question that I have not seen addressed. Is April too early to start? Thank you for your opinions.

Hi Julie
We look forward to seeing along the way at that time next year. This will our second Camino at that time of the year. Last time (2009) we had all weathers but it was wonderful. We aim to start in STPDP about the 20th of April 2013 and are allowing about 40 days. Last time we allowed 33 and that was not enough. Please don't think you need to follow guidebooks to the letter. Your speed is the right speed as they say. Take days off as needed and enjoy the towns and villages along the way.
If you are interested my wife posted her diary of the 2009 Camino on our blog site walkingtotheend.com It gives you some insight into weather, aches and pains and everything.

Ian and Catherine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Julie!

April is an ideal time to start. Last year I walked mid-April to the end of May and the weather was perfect. Warm but not too hot. This year the weather has been cooler and more varied according to posts on this forum. I walked a bit earlier this year (March-April) and the weather varied from cold to hot sun (but not necessarily in that order!).

From April the wild flowers are coming out, the albergues are all open and there is plenty of good company. Enjoy! :D

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I agree you have to be prepared for rain, but take any stats with a pinch of salt. I had torrential rain on my first Camino...but only after 8pm when you're comfy in your bed/bar/restaurant rather than walking. The next morning when the thunder clouds have cleared everything is fresh and green and looooovely! :D

Buen Camino!

I'm planning to go with a friend by bicycle in March/April 2013. I am hoping to collect sponsorship along the way in memory of another friend who died earlier this year, but that's by the bye. I have always wanted to walk the Camino and am cycling simply because walking would take longer than we can take off work.

I have lots of questions but will first check whether they have been asked before!

Buen camino a todos!

Hey everyone! I'm going to be walking in the Spring (after I graduate Virginia Tech in the class of 2013!). Three other hokies and I will be practicing in the Appalachians to prep for the trail. Good luck to everyone in the class of 2013 and I hope to see you out there!

Hello everyone. This is such a great forum for the uninitiated traveler. By the way, My name is David. Just today I've cleared my work calendar for the Sept - Oct, 2013 time frame to begin the Camino in St Jean. I haven't decided on a start date which I hope to do in the next month after a little more research into getting there from Boston. Can't tell you how excited I am with the prospect of this. Would like to know others that may be starting in this time frame and would be hopeful of running/walking into others I may meet on this forum. If any one has some good suggestions on coordinating logistics from the Northeast I'd love to hear them. ~ merci et bonne chance

Bonjour, Waterlight,

I'll be walking the Camino at the same time. Since this is my second Camino, I'll walk from Florin-Ste-Marie on the Arles Way to Puente La Reina and then to Santiago. I'll watch out for you!

Envoyé depuis mon HTC Panache avec Tapatalk

Hello again....my name is Sue and I am also a 'Newbie' - now progressed to making 'Definite Plans' to walk from SJdP in Late August-early September.....I plan to take 'as long as it takes' . This is to be a special 'goal for me to attain' as 2013 is the year I turn 65.
Regards Sue.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We had thought about being 'tourigrinos' next year, to go through the Picos to Covadonga. It doesn't feel right somehow, we are not yet ready to reach that stage. Now we are thinking that we will walk part of the Norte as peregrinos again, and into Covadonga from the west, in 2013.
Maybe we should be signing up to 2014 too for the next stage :)

Hi!
Well this is my first EVER post on the forum... though I have been reading it nightly before bed.
My name is Jenny, and I will be walking my first Camino in 2013. I will start end of April or Early May
(I don't know for sure which route yet, probably the Frances) and if I am addicted after that...then I may possibly do another route in the fall 2013 (VDLP?)

You are all so inspiring, and I am so glad to have found this online community to help me on my journey!

Buen Camino!
JEnny.

Bon Jour, fellow 2013 Classmates!

Since my planned jump-off location is Le Puy, I'm spending my walking time with Conversational French in my MP3 headphones. Wasn't sure how many "new tricks" this old dog can learn, but the exercise in my head helps keep the exercise in my legs from being so monotonous. I've logged a shade over 300 miles since making the commitment to becoming a Pilgrim next year. The primary accomplishment being a solid faith in my choice of shoe/sock combo. I've also selected and purchased my backpack and am researching (many thanks to the Camino Forum!) my hiking poles. Lucky to have a great outdoors store nearby that will let me try out the gear and return what doesn't work out. I'm hoping to have everything major purchased and tried out by the end of fall. I intend to keep up the daily walking even thru the winter months here and that will require carrying some extra clothing as I go from home to the cattle feedlot. We'll see how it goes. My family is a bit skeptical on this part.

The Iowa Public Television Network aired a nice episode of the Rick Steves Travel Show focusing on the Camino. Well, sort of. A lot of the air time focused on the Running of the Bulls in Pamplona, but there was enough shown of the Pilgrims and the sights they will expect to see on the Camino Frances to make it extremely enjoyable for our family. As they usually do, IPTV took a very neutral look at the event and neither downplayed nor over-hyped the religious basis for the Camino. I appreciated that approach.

Really enjoy reading the posts from the newly minted class of 2013 members!

A hopeful Pilgrim,
Farmer John

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good afternoon all - have just returned from my first 'long walk' as part of my preparation for my Camino next year......this one today, was only 12ks but I managed very well, although I have not yet progressed to carrying much in the way of weight as yet.....planning to do a few walks with my pack and my boots on during the coming weeks.
Cheers and looking forward to reading more posts from Class of 2013....Susanawee

DjennyHeart said:
Hi! Well this is my first EVER post on the forum... though I have been reading it nightly before bed. My name is Jenny, and I will be walking my first Camino in 2013. I will start end of April or Early May (I don't know for sure which route yet, probably the Frances) and if I am addicted after that...then I may possibly do another route in the fall 2013 (VDLP?) You are all so inspiring, and I am so glad to have found this online community to help me on my journey! Buen Camino! JEnny.
Welcome, Jenny, and good to have you with us on the Forum. Here you will find answers to 99.9% of your questions. The choice of route is, of course, entirely down to you, but you will find the VdlP much quieter than the French way. Personally that suits me fine. I take lots of photographs, and enjoy talking to the animals - yes, even the butterflies sometimes!
May is usually a lovely month on the camino, though this year it was a wash out, with rain almost every day. The important thing is just to relax and enjoy the experience, as I'm sure you will.
Buen camino Jenny!
Stephen [in hot Suffolk - it was 31.1 degs C yesterday!]
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

Hi! I am Mary Margaret from Raleigh, North Carolina. I will be walking my first Camino in June 2013. I love this forum. I think of the Camino every day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello from California - have been reading these posts for a couple of weeks now. We are going to walk the camino from Porto, Portugal in late April or early May 2013. Love reading all the tips and support from those who have been.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.