• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2014...In Review

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
2015 here:
My mark on the Camino will be my blog: neverlost4good.com
My intention is to listen and report. This year will be a turning point for me.

For the Class of 2014

What mark did you leave...what did you take away?

Up to now, only the Camino knows. How about letting the rest of us in on your experience.

Arn

I dont know If I have learned it( I think that would mean being it with every single step and breath) but what I can take away and maybe be is have a positive attitude with every experience. I adopted it on my last Camino -out of respect for something that has been very special to me and I had taken it for granted on my two previous ones. Its given me a way forward and much work to do.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked July 4 to August 7. Prior to departure, my mindset was that I was going to 'do' the Camino as an exercise in solitude and fitness.
The big shift for me was that I learnt to be a part of the Camino and to accept the myriad of incredible things that it had to offer - people, sites, experiences, and emotions. I didn't 'do' the Camino; I was fortunate enough to get past myself enough to experience and feel more than I had initially expected to.
2015 will be a year for me to visit people and places in North America, with time in 2016 set aside for another Camino experience, again in July, and likely del Norte or Portugués. Buen Camino to those setting out in 2015.

2015 holds 365 days for the new class to discover, recover, share, or just be there, possibly for the first time...ever.
Buen"Class of 2015" Camino.

For the Class of 2014

Up to now, only the Camino knows. How about letting the rest of us in on your experience.

Arn
i wouldn't know what 'mark' i left ... i actually was not aiming for making marks or leaving traces, if that is possible. of course, i always aim for kindness, knowing that i am not necessarily 'nice' . --
it's perhaps only the people and places encountered who could/would report on that, no? am actually quite content to fly below the radar, not to be noticed, so to speak. and it was only after i had left santiago that i realized that i don't have a single photo image of myself in santiago. clearly, i am not into that 'selfie thingy' - which is a good thing
:)
felt very grateful that i was able to undertake that pilgrimage. time wise, $$ wise, energy wise, health wise etc etc - and felt very protected and looked after. even when one day i felt i was suddenly loosing my eye-sight in the middle of an olive grove miles ahead of rabacal, with no one else around... when i couldn't see well anymore, i was well looked after.

similarly - don't know what i did take away. but surely i was given a lot! and it's a gift that keeps giving.
just in the last few weeks, perhaps inspired by the lovely christmas lights here at residences, i turned into a night-walker. i LOVE walking in the dark, through the streets here, with one hiking pole (for pesky dogs, etc) having a marvelous view across the bay, to see city lights and even better: night skies and stars.
i love the energy of night time walking, indrawn, more reflective... almost a walking prayer time.

how about you?

Last edited:
Definitely a year to remember - Camino de Madrid, short CF & Camino de Invierno. These Caminos and especially its people surely left mark in my soul.
Did I left a mark? It's up to others I've met to tell that ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What mark did I leave? Well my name in a book on an El Salvador hill? A bum mark in the mud on another El Salvador hill? A lasting impression of how nice Ender is and a feeling of gratitude for the signposting by him and his amigos!
What did I take away? Well dog bite marks on my leg from a village on the El Salvador.
Seems like the El Salvador and I had quite a conversation!
Actually loved that part of my Caminos the most. Might get tempted to turn right again at Leon this year if my hell is up to it.
Fingers crossed as ever. :)

I wrote an entire "Dr is IN" on this topic...then spiked it.
Life is complex. The Camino makes life appear simple. We worry about our past life with all its cudda, shudda, wouldas. We plan a future based on what may be.

The mark that I made is on my heart. The Camino put me in touch with my "here and now" by introducing me to what IS as it is.

What did I take away?
In a world divided into so many arenas where we can be blinded by prejudice often birthed in ignorance, or dogma...the Camino accepts all asking only that we treat each other along the Way as what we are: fellow pilgrims heading toward the same goal where the only difference is the direction from which we departed.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That's a good question , and a "right" question .

I Left
  • Two pair of shoes in Logrono
  • Friendships
  • Donations for the hungry and destitute
  • A new perspective of the Camino ... (don't try to picture it before you go , it's not what you think. whatever you think it is)
  • Understanding of my capabilities ( and lack there of)
I took back with me
  • A lasting passion to return and finish
  • Damaged back,hip, and knees
  • Humbleness
  • Joy and a new fresher more broader view of life
  • Many friends
  • A love of Spain
Returning in Sept 2016 - Logrono .

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
2015 holds 365 days for the new class to discover, recover, share, or just be there, possibly for the first time...ever.
Buen"Class of 2015" Camino.

For the Class of 2014

Arn
We left behind our life sadness at Cruz de Ferro. We told the story of Miracle Man's operation (my husband) to walk the Camino with me and it inspired others.

We look at our photos and fantastic memory board and can't believe we actually did it. Everyday we say "remember that place, person or thing we saw/did on the Camino". So many people ask what was the "best" thing about our pilgrimage and I say, without hesitation "the Spanish people and the other pilgrims". They all live within our hearts.

This is the first time I have been on the forum since returning in late October. I think part of me has stayed there, and probably will, forever. I have returned home more contented and frequently draw on the magical energy that lives within me to handle difficult situations. After all, anyone who has walked the Camino Frances at 66 years of age can stand tall and draw confidence from the experience, but there is also a knowingness of something bigger and greater within my being to help me through.

Buen Camino to the class of 2015. It was much more physically demanding than I thought it would be, and I had watched every Youtube video I could find and read everything on the Forum, but just remember one step at a time, one day at a time and most of all..... Enjoy every second....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I sit here in my parlor, less than two weeks until I begin my Camino in Burgos.
I honestly thought, by this Camino, I'd be more confident, more nonchalant, more imbued with the "veteran" approach to the Way.
In that regard, I am as excited and ready for the unknown to what this Camino will bring as I was Lo many years ago.
I will travel much the same Camino as before, yet know it will be different.
I will set out alone, but hope I will meet a Forum member or two.
I will, at one point join up with Fr Jonathan with the intention to expose him to the Camino hoping the Way has something unique, or familiar, to impart to him.
I will accept that each goal, hope and need will be given it's true weight and significance as I walk the Way open and ready to accept what will come.
Blessings to the Class of 2015.
Arn

We left behind our life sadness at Cruz de Ferro. We told the story of Miracle Man's operation (my husband) to walk the Camino with me and it inspired others.

We look at our photos and fantastic memory board and can't believe we actually did it. Everyday we say "remember that place, person or thing we saw/did on the Camino". So many people ask what was the "best" thing about our pilgrimage and I say, without hesitation "the Spanish people and the other pilgrims". They all live within our hearts.

This is the first time I have been on the forum since returning in late October. I think part of me has stayed there, and probably will, forever. I have returned home more contented and frequently draw on the magical energy that lives within me to handle difficult situations. After all, anyone who has walked the Camino Frances at 66 years of age can stand tall and draw confidence from the experience, but there is also a knowingness of something bigger and greater within my being to help me through.

Buen Camino to the class of 2015. It was much more physically demanding than I thought it would be, and I had watched every Youtube video I could find and read everything on the Forum, but just remember one step at a time, one day at a time and most of all..... Enjoy every second....
WOW!
I turned 67 the week after returning home from our second Camino.
The first was in 2012, right after I had 2 procedures for cardiac stints. In 2014, we left for Spain one month after a cardiac ablation (I had another after we returned).
You took the words out of my mouth.

Already planning for a Camino during my 70th trip around the Sun.

Buen Viaje to the 2015 peregrinos.

I *almost* left a grizzling child behind one day, but my conscience got the better of me;-) Besides, she knew how to follow the arrows.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.