• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2014

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have been preparing for a few years, reading all your helpful advice on the forum, gathering equipment and waiting for the right time. Now is the time! I leave Minneapolis on May 15 heading for Pamplona. From there, I will bus to SJPP on May 17 and finally start my Camino on May 18. Flight reservations are made. Hotel in Pamplona reservation made. L'Esprit du Chemin full. Shoot, no reservation available. Orisson reservation made. It's real. I am officially part of the class of 2014. :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We start may 16th only 10 weeks before we leave and the thought of 10 weeks just my wife and I is wonderful to share the camino even more wonderful to be able to be close to nature and to pray in peace and quiet bliss to met fellow pilgrims to share our shared experiences just can't come soon enough - patience and preparation = a wonderful experience - it has been said before it's our Camino and we make of it what we want it to be - remember you don't choose a life you live your life

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have been preparing for a few years, reading all your helpful advice on the forum, gathering equipment and waiting for the right time. Now is the time! I leave Minneapolis on May 15 heading for Pamplona. From there, I will bus to SJPP on May 17 and finally start my Camino on May 18. Flight reservations are made. Hotel in Pamplona reservation made. L'Esprit du Chemin full. Shoot, no reservation available. Orisson reservation made. It's real. I am officially part of the class of 2014. :)
Pbucilla, good to hear your all set! I too am arriving in Pamplona on May 16 and ride to SJPP on the 17 to start my trek on the 18th. I will be with a group until May 21 when we arrive in Pamplona. Then we are on our own. I am in Michigan so not too far from you. I have not been able to train outdoors since early December and can't wait to get back outdoors again. For now I walk on a treadmill with an incline adjustment. I am not allowed to wear my backpack in the gym so I now wear a weight vest (not the same at all but certainly added "work").
If you want to visit some more just private message me. Hope to meet you along the way.
Stefania

I plan on doing the camino from June 23 to Mid/End of August. I will be starting on the camino arles from Auch, continuing on to the camino aragones, until meeting up with the camino frances. It will be my first camino! Anyone else going the same time as me, feel free to send me a message!

let's see on the comino Frances and Aragonese crossroad!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello class of 2014 !!
I spent one week on the Camino in May 2013 and it was an amazing experience! I'm hoping to complete the full Camino during June - July this year.
I'm starting my Camino experience with a few days in Paris, followed by the TGV to the south. I'm hoping to leave SJPdP on 17 June - I'd love to hear from any others who are starting off at the same time. I believe that the first stage from SJPdP is quite difficult with steep gradients, have any others completed this phase? Are there many accommodation choices on the first few stages of the Camino? Is accommodation booking in advance necessary?
Now....a burning question that I do have, are their options to have luggage moved to the accommodation if there had been particularly tough days .... I hope I'm not offending the real pilgrims with that question!!!
I'm so excited about my journey this year and look forward to meeting others. Buen camino

Hi Cynwhite,

I am walking the camino now, after starting in St. Jean on February 9. I'm 6'3" and was 88 kg before I began. I've lost weight the past three weeks; probably a few kg or one and half belt sizes.

My total pack weight (pack and contents) was about 7-8 kg -- without food and water. With food and water it's about 8-9 kg. Bear in mind your pack weight will vary from day to day depending on what you wear, which will be dependent on the weather.

Even at 7-8 kg, there are a handful of items I have never used:

-- third pair of UnderArmour boxers
-- fourth pair of socks
-- fleece neck warmer
-- sun glasses
-- ear buds
-- lightweight lock
-- lightweight razor

... a few items I have used once:

-- silk liner for Snugpack Travelpak Traveled (I didn't bring the Snugpak compression bag
-- lightweight monocle (like one-half of binoculars)
-- eye shade

... some items I have found essential:

-- topographic/distance maps and lost of open albergues
-- wool beanie and baseball cap
-- headlamp with bright white light and dim red light
-- Snugpak sleeping bag (2-7C rated)
-- wool base layer bottoms and top for cold days and cold nights in Albergues
-- Keen Targhee low cut trail shoes (with Goretex gaiters) and Classic Crocs
-- GoLite poncho tarp, rainproof raincoat, rainproof pants, wind proof gloves, pack cover
-- 15' lightweight cord and Velcro fasteners for drying wash
-- pair of walking sticks (purchased in St. Jean)
-- hiking pants (and fleece pants while hiking pants are drying and occasional sleeping)
-- iPhone (with charger and Spanish adapter) for photos, GPS/maps, translation app
-- ear plugs (in combination with wool beanie to hold plugs in and block light)
-- paper size piece of closed cell foam packing material for sitting on cold or wet surfaces
-- two tech shirts, three pair wool socks, two tech boxers
-- Vaseline, duct tape, KT tape, scissors
-- prescription antibiotic ointment
-- very basic toiletries

... and several items that are helpful:

-- Brierley guidebook (and separate Kindle camino guidebook when it's inconvenient to pull out Brierley)
-- the Camino de Santiago forum, of course
-- Booking.com to find and book an occasional hotel or pension (such as those nights when the hospitalero gives strange new meaning)

... and several items you cannot pack:

-- an occasional rest day
-- the opportunity to interact with locals to buy or replenish items along the way
-- a quick smile and compliment

About appearances: people who makes their life along the camino can recognize a pilgrim from the next town; nothing looks more out of place than a limping dog-tired pilgrim who looks like they just picked up their drycleaning. I haven't shaved since a week before I departed the US, which provided an opportunity to make an elderly local man smile when I complimented him on his beard (buena barba) and stroked mine -- we were fast friends.

In short, your pack is way too heavy! But that is a lesson the Camino teaches: whatever we pickup and carry, whether a physical item, worry, or responsibility, becomes a burden -- the Camino can teach one how to shed burdens ... the easy way, the hard way, or both.

Buen Camino

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My wife and I are taking the plane to Madrid this Monday, day after tomorrow. As i mentionec before, last week, on Saturday I landed in hospital with an infection. I was there for 4 days on antibiotics. And now, we both have pretty bad colds. What a way to start our pilgrimage.

We are going, our backpacks are ready, both of them at around 7 kg. We were just talking. We are going to spend a night in Pamplona on our way to Roncesvalles. If we are not better, we will stay a day or two in Pamplona.

We do not want to finish before we start, but on the other hand, we are in His hands. We'll see what happens.

Hi! I'm Anastasia from California. I'm planning to walk the last 100km in May 2014 for my 50th birthday. I'm hoping to drag a friend along. Most of my friends think I'm crazy so I was very happy to find this forum.

Hi - I'm Gilly and I'm also planning to walk it this year in July and August to celebrate ( or hide from lol ) my 50th birthday.... I did the last 120 miles last year and just know this year I have to do it all.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Suzanne! If you leave sjpdp on 17 June probably you'll reach Burgos after about 10 days.. I start on june 27 from Burgos. ...hope to see you there!

Hello Deadfred, Tyrrek & Mysticl..and all others planning for 2014!
Regardless when you go in 2014 you will most likely meet Marly & me on the Camino. We are planning an April 2014 departure from SJPP...however, at that time I will be turning 76 and Marly will be 74...so, will take us a while to complete. So, if you see a couple of "turtles" trudging along, that will be us.

Marly & Harold
Naples, Florida
Hi Marly and Harold. I just came apon this thread. Where was it hiding all the time. I will be leaving SJPP on the 14 April of this year, 2014!!!! Six weeks from now we'll be sitting in SJPP waiting for tomorrow to come :) Are you still planning on walking this year April? And if so what are your dates?
Buen Camino
Carina

Hello all. :) I am planning on embarking on my camino (alone) in April 2014 - final dates will depend on which route I ultimately choose, but I've been focusing most of my research on the Camino Frances (per the advice on this forum). I can't really put into words the need I feel to experience El Camino, and how difficult it is to think about waiting more than another year before my feet hit the trail, so it is greatly encouraging to see others planning their trips so far out and knowing that, in some ways, our journeys have already begun. Buen camino!
Hi Marina, We might meet somewhere on the Camino. My sister and I are leaving SJPP on the 14th April this year!!! Buen Camino

Sooo - Outward flight booked for 3rd July and planning on leaving SJPP on the afternoon of the 4th, stopping at Orisson. Desperately hoping nothing stops it now.... I'm ridiculously excited :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Stefania we will be starting from SJPDP on the 16th May so we may see you as we intend to stop in Pamplona for a day and mayve further on as well - so we may catch up between SJ and Santiago - Buen Camino

The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:
Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2014?
Buen Camino
Arn

I have been searching the forum for a "Class of 2014" page couldn't find one so I took charge :lol: Ivar , if somehow I missed the 2014 page please feel free to delete this.. but first let me know where it's located. With that said ...

Hi , I am Joe from Springdale Arkansas. Laurie and I are in training for our trek from SJPdP to SdC ,scheduled to leave Sept 2014 for our 35th Wedding Anniversary ( was May but seems Oct has less rain?) . Counting the many days until that time. Walking much up hill & down holler to get our bones tuned up and leg muscles primed.

I want to thank you Ivar for this forum , been lurking here for a few weeks now with just a few postings to test the waters. a Tremendous wealth of information .

Hi Everyone!

I am hoping to make my walk this year 2014. Not sure where I will start but totally know where it will end. Lol. I most likely will do this walk solo. And I want it to be 30 days. So I am on here, reading everything you all have to offer. Obviously many plans ahead of mine, but I am excited that I discovered this site and also the walk.

Blessings to all in your journey. I will soon share more on my plans as they become more concrete.

Valerie from Virginia.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I found New Balance Minimum shoes that weight only 400 grams. So I will have my hiking boots, my wife's flip flops (they are small but they weight less than mine and we will share) and and the New Balance. Nike also makes ultralight shoes, they are the Barefoot line. I selected the New Balance because they make wide sizes.
I hope this helps.

Thanks, Gil A. I have a pair of New Balance trail runners I like a lot, and will look at NB options for ultralights.

I found New Balance Minimum shoes that weight only 400 grams. So I will have my hiking boots, my wife's flip flops (they are small but they weight less than mine and we will share) and and the New Balance. Nike also makes ultralight shoes, they are the Barefoot line. I selected the New Balance because they make wide sizes.
I hope this helps.

Thanks, Gil A. I have a pair of New Balance trail runners I like a lot, and will look at NB options for ultralights.

We start may 16th only 10 weeks before we leave and the thought of 10 weeks just my wife and I is wonderful to share the camino even more wonderful to be able to be close to nature and to pray in peace and quiet bliss to met fellow pilgrims to share our shared experiences just can't come soon enough - patience and preparation = a wonderful experience - it has been said before it's our Camino and we make of it what we want it to be - remember you don't choose a life you live your life

Hi Larry from Sydney, wow! it's only 10 weeks away??!! I will also be leaving SJPDP May 16th, I am opting to take the Napolean Route all been well but I hope to meet you and your wife in SJPDP and/or on the Way :) how beautiful that you're both sharing this journey together.
Buen Camino,
Marie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello All,

I am planning to walk the Camino starting the end of August. I will have about 12 days total including travel from the west coast of the U.S. I'm thinking that will allow me 6-7 days of walking time? I would prefer to start before Sarria as to not draw the stares and judgments of those who have been putting in time from SJPP. I would love to do the entire 500 miles, but that will have to wait for another day as I simply don't have the time from work and family.

With regards to my starting point...I would love to hear those of you with experience chime in on this question. With the number of days I have available to actually walk would it be better to start in O'Cebreiro or the next natural point which I believe is Triacastela (I don't have my Brierley book in front of me). Also, is 7 days doable considering I only have 12 total with travel. I would love to spend a couple of days in Santiago at the end of my walk and maybe a full day/night in Madrid upon arrival in Spain before traveling to my starting point.

Also, wondering what I should expect with regards to weather in Galicia this time of year...thinking of leaving the U.S. on 8/30 returning 9/9 or 10th.

Thanks and Buen Camino,

Dave from Portland, OR

Hello Everyone.
Walking the Camino de Frances from SJPP. Can't wait to spend a month away from London (and work!) walking, learning, laughing and meeting some great people along the way!

I fly into Biarittz on 3rd May 2014 and will start the trail on Sunday 4th. Anyone else leaving then? Also, anyone else arriving at Biarritz airport the 3rd and fancy sharing a taxi/bus/train/donkey to SJPP?
Fell free to drop me a message and say hello. You'll probably be seeing alot of me as I'm going into this pilgrimage blind. Infact, it's the first time I've just followed my gut instincts and jumped in at the deep end. Splosh. :cool:

Buen Camino!
Nick

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Nick,

Welcome to the Forum!

Here is one way to get from Biarritz airport to SJPdP. From Biarritz airport take a Chronopost bus 14 to the BAYONNE rr station (Gare SNCF). For times see this link. At Bayonne rr station take a regional TER line 62 train to SJPdP. See this link for times until July 2014 Generally there are several TER line 62 trains from Bayonne to SJPdP each day. There are NO reserved seats; seating is open as on a tram or metro. The cost to SJPdP from Bayonne is about 10 euros. SJPdP is the last stop; journey time roughly 1 1/2 hours. The TER train also transports bikes.

Happy "sposhing" and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Hello Everyone.
Walking the Camino de Frances from SJPP. Can't wait to spend a month away from London (and work!) walking, learning, laughing and meeting some great people along the way!

I fly into Biarittz on 3rd May 2014 and will start the trail on Sunday 4th. Anyone else leaving then?
Nick
Here's a link to the forum calendar, where you can add your start and also see some other people. Sadly not all people do this, maybe they don't know about it.
I'm leaving exactly one month before you, and thinking that most people arriving at Biarritz are going to SJPdP, so I'll just ask somebody to share. At least we are easily recognizable :)

Buen Camino!
Ulla

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Here's a link to the forum calendar, where you can add your start and also see some other people. Sadly not all people do this, maybe they don't know about it.
I'm leaving exactly one month before you, and thinking that most people arriving at Biarritz are going to SJPdP, so I'll just ask somebody to share. At least we are easily recognizable :)

Buen Camino!
Ulla

Thanks so much for this! Have entered my arrival on the calender. Had a look at your blog. I wish you all the luck in the world with your feet! Be strong!

Hello everyone,

First time pilgrim here who will be walking the Camino de Frances from SJPDP in June. This trip is something I have been talking about doing for probably 4 years or so, and now, I am pleased to say, my trip is booked, and I will proudly be part of the class of 2014. I love to travel, and I have done my fair share, but never a hiking trip such as this.... I think (and hope) I will be up to the challenge.

I must admit, even though I am beyond excited to be finally doing the Camino, trying to plan for a trip like this having no previous experience does make me nervous. I have done a lot of research, and have found a lot of conflicting information on some subjects, so I have plenty of questions which I will post. I'm sure the good people of this forum can help me with some useful information, and I thank you all in advance for any advice I receive.

I fly into Paris CDG on the 4th of June 2014 at 7:20am, and ideally I am really hoping to make it all the way to SJPDP on the same day. Then provided I am not too jetlagged or tired from the plane and train rides, I will start walking the Camino immediately on the 5th. Is anyone else leaving SJPDP around this time?

I look forward to meeting some great people on the road, and I am sure it really will be the trip of a lifetime!
Cheers, and Buen Camino to you all!

Neil.

Hello everyone,

First time pilgrim here who will be walking the Camino de Frances from SJPDP in June. This trip is something I have been talking about doing for probably 4 years or so, and now, I am pleased to say, my trip is booked, and I will proudly be part of the class of 2014. I love to travel, and I have done my fair share, but never a hiking trip such as this.... I think (and hope) I will be up to the challenge.

I must admit, even though I am beyond excited to be finally doing the Camino, trying to plan for a trip like this having no previous experience does make me nervous. I have done a lot of research, and have found a lot of conflicting information on some subjects, so I have plenty of questions which I will post. I'm sure the good people of this forum can help me with some useful information, and I thank you all in advance for any advice I receive.

I fly into Paris CDG on the 4th of June 2014 at 7:20am, and ideally I am really hoping to make it all the way to SJPDP on the same day. Then provided I am not too jetlagged or tired from the plane and train rides, I will start walking the Camino immediately on the 5th. Is anyone else leaving SJPDP around this time?

I look forward to meeting some great people on the road, and I am sure it really will be the trip of a lifetime!
Cheers, and Buen Camino to you all!

Neil.

Hey Neily! Pity i'm walking the month prior to you mate as we could've teamed up. You'll be pleased to hear I haven't got a bloody clue what I'm doing. For the first time in my life, I'm arriving somewhere totally planless. I have a month off work and I'm just gonna hit the road and see what happens!

Hi Nick,

Welcome to the Forum!

Here is one way to get from Biarritz airport to SJPdP. From Biarritz airport take a Chronopost bus 14 to the BAYONNE rr station (Gare SNCF). For times see this link. At Bayonne rr station take a regional TER line 62 train to SJPdP. See this link for times until July 2014 Generally there are several TER line 62 trains from Bayonne to SJPdP each day. There are NO reserved seats; seating is open as on a tram or metro. The cost to SJPdP from Bayonne is about 10 euros. SJPdP is the last stop; journey time roughly 1 1/2 hours. The TER train also transports bikes.

Happy "sposhing" and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Margaret,
Thanks so much for all of the detail regarding TGV and transfers to SJPdP - very helpful!
Stefano69, yes, it would be great to overlap - I'm hoping to get going on June 15 from SJPdP so should cross paths en route.
Buen camino everyone, based on my one week experience in May 2013 - it will be a very rewarding time on the Camino :)
Regards,
Suzanne

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Stefania we will be starting from SJPDP on the 16th May so we may see you as we intend to stop in Pamplona for a day and mayve further on as well - so we may catch up between SJ and Santiago - Buen Camino
Larry, I will look forward to meeting you two! I am planning to attach my forum patch to my pack as well as a circle inside a triangle so you might spot me.
Take care and hope to see you both soon
Stefania

Hey Neily! Pity i'm walking the month prior to you mate as we could've teamed up. You'll be pleased to hear I haven't got a bloody clue what I'm doing. For the first time in my life, I'm arriving somewhere totally planless. I have a month off work and I'm just gonna hit the road and see what happens!
It is nice to see someone else as clueless as me, haha...That's the thing that appeals to me the most, the fact that you can leave the stresses of life at home, and all you need to do is get up every morning and put one foot in front of the other, and like you say, see what happens. It's always good to meet new people of varied age and backgrounds, that's probably the thing I have enjoyed most about travelling in the past, and it's something I very much look forward to on the camino.

Looks like we'll be class of 2015 now, not 2014. The doctor has advised us that I should not to go at the moment.:(

Went to Ash Wednesday Mass at 0700. As I helped to dispense ashes I thought "Easter on the Camino!". My son says, with a smile, that I am obsessed. If so, it is a magnificent obsession. I leave home one month from today!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It is nice to see someone else as clueless as me, haha...That's the thing that appeals to me the most, the fact that you can leave the stresses of life at home, and all you need to do is get up every morning and put one foot in front of the other, and like you say, see what happens. It's always good to meet new people of varied age and backgrounds, that's probably the thing I have enjoyed most about travelling in the past, and it's something I very much look forward to on the camino.
So right!!!!!

Hey Nick,
Starting from Pamplona May 9. Going in blind just like you. Should be fun and an experience like no other.

Looks like we'll be class of 2015 now, not 2014. The doctor has advised us that I should not to go at the moment.:(
Tia, I am so sorry to hear that you have to put your next Camino off a year. I appreciate your comments on the forum and hope to keep learning from you. I too had to hold off a year because of knee problems but I am starting my first Camino May/June this year (leave SJPP May 18th). I am enjoying the process of getting ready both physically and emotionally. Take care.
Stefania

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Really sorry to hear your news. I'm still 6 months away from my walk and it would be fair to say I'm obsessed - I can't imagine how sad I'd feel if I had to wait a year... so I'm sending you good wishes and hoping that the doctor soon says you can go!

Doctor knows best Tia. Disappointed for you, even though 2015 will be here before you know it.
Buen Camino,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, whenever it happens.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I will be leaving right behind you on the 8th. Hoping to meet you and Ullamae somewhere on the road. In the meantime, God Bless and Buen Camino (love saying that)!
You'll definitely see me - I'll be walking SLOWLY, so being only 2 days behind you'll catch me up for sure, and with Ulla only 2 days ahead of me, and also planning on going slowly, we may all meet together at some stage :) Look out for a kinda lime coloured pack, and an Aussie accent. Buen Camino! (It does feel pretty great saying that, doesn't it!).

Red and black pack here, forum patch should be attached. My beloved Tilley hat, and the beginnings of a scruffy beard:).

€46,-
Hi Cynwhite,

I am walking the camino now, after starting in St. Jean on February 9. I'm 6'3" and was 88 kg before I began. I've lost weight the past three weeks; probably a few kg or one and half belt sizes.

My total pack weight (pack and contents) was about 7-8 kg -- without food and water. With food and water it's about 8-9 kg. Bear in mind your pack weight will vary from day to day depending on what you wear, which will be dependent on the weather.

Even at 7-8 kg, there are a handful of items I have never used:

-- third pair of UnderArmour boxers
-- fourth pair of socks
-- fleece neck warmer
-- sun glasses
-- ear buds
-- lightweight lock
-- lightweight razor

... a few items I have used once:

-- silk liner for Snugpack Travelpak Traveled (I didn't bring the Snugpak compression bag
-- lightweight monocle (like one-half of binoculars)
-- eye shade

... some items I have found essential:

-- topographic/distance maps and lost of open albergues
-- wool beanie and baseball cap
-- headlamp with bright white light and dim red light
-- Snugpak sleeping bag (2-7C rated)
-- wool base layer bottoms and top for cold days and cold nights in Albergues
-- Keen Targhee low cut trail shoes (with Goretex gaiters) and Classic Crocs
-- GoLite poncho tarp, rainproof raincoat, rainproof pants, wind proof gloves, pack cover
-- 15' lightweight cord and Velcro fasteners for drying wash
-- pair of walking sticks (purchased in St. Jean)
-- hiking pants (and fleece pants while hiking pants are drying and occasional sleeping)
-- iPhone (with charger and Spanish adapter) for photos, GPS/maps, translation app
-- ear plugs (in combination with wool beanie to hold plugs in and block light)
-- paper size piece of closed cell foam packing material for sitting on cold or wet surfaces
-- two tech shirts, three pair wool socks, two tech boxers
-- Vaseline, duct tape, KT tape, scissors
-- prescription antibiotic ointment
-- very basic toiletries

... and several items that are helpful:

-- Brierley guidebook (and separate Kindle camino guidebook when it's inconvenient to pull out Brierley)
-- the Camino de Santiago forum, of course
-- Booking.com to find and book an occasional hotel or pension (such as those nights when the hospitalero gives strange new meaning)

... and several items you cannot pack:

-- an occasional rest day
-- the opportunity to interact with locals to buy or replenish items along the way
-- a quick smile and compliment

About appearances: people who makes their life along the camino can recognize a pilgrim from the next town; nothing looks more out of place than a limping dog-tired pilgrim who looks like they just picked up their drycleaning. I haven't shaved since a week before I departed the US, which provided an opportunity to make an elderly local man smile when I complimented him on his beard (buena barba) and stroked mine -- we were fast friends.

In short, your pack is way too heavy! But that is a lesson the Camino teaches: whatever we pickup and carry, whether a physical item, worry, or responsibility, becomes a burden -- the Camino can teach one how to shed burdens ... the easy way, the hard way, or both.

Buen Camino
Great info, thank you !!!
Buen Camino !!!!!

€46,-
Emonty Ulamae Misspixy Lonestar are the folks I have identified arriving or will be on the trail within a few days of my departing SJDPP on the 7th of April. I look forward to meeting you all as we go. I still have not been able to get my name on the calendar but that is ok. Like all of you these last few weeks are getting so exiting as I get closer to April 5 departure. Green osprey pack, big hat
Buen Camino
Keith

You'll definitely see me - I'll be walking SLOWLY, so being only 2 days behind you'll catch me up for sure, and with Ulla only 2 days ahead of me, and also planning on going slowly, we may all meet together at some stage :) Look out for a kinda lime coloured pack, and an Aussie accent. Buen Camino! (It does feel pretty great saying that, doesn't it!).
Red and black pack here, forum patch should be attached. My beloved Tilley hat, and the beginnings of a scruffy beard:).
Emonty Ulamae Misspixy Lonestar are the folks I have identified arriving or will be on the trail within a few days of my departing SJDPP on the 7th of April. Like all of you these last few weeks are getting so exiting as I get closer to April 5 departure. Green osprey pack, big hat
Buen Camino
Keith
Swedish accent here, and a bright orange pack (Gregory z40) :)

Last edited:

€46,-
Hi All, my name is Jess and I am from Canada. I will be walking from SJPP to SDC in June/July of this year (2014). I hope to complete the walk within 33 days so that I have a day in SDC to relax & sightsee.

I will also be in the slow lane! Iv given myself lots of time so in no need to rush. No idea what colours my back pack will be but it'll have a scottish flag stitched on somewhere.

Yeah!
Way to go Angie!
I won't have a Saltire or Rampart Lion badge personally - they're in my blood :rolleyes:.
Love the sentiment that you know you'll have the flag on your pack before you have your pack.
Wha's like us eh?
Buen Camino

Wha's like us?

D*mn few of us!

Emonty (Clan
Montgomery ) And although I live in Nebraska I will be flying the Colorado colors because it's my birthplace and I do a lot of hiking there. I think I really like the class of 2014. Under a month now!

A post earlier made me sad as we have less than 9 weeks till our walk - but while I wish this would pass quickly - the walk iteslf is say 6 weeks and will pass faster - I think I better start planning my next walk :)

Starting 16th May with my wife - we will have Australian flags on our packs - but I am sure from what I have read there are many Australians starting around the same time - we should try and meet up on the 15th for a pre-walk drink in SJPDP

I know what you mean Larry, haven't yet started walking but I have a feeling I won't want my Camino to end when it does... still the excitement for the journey ahead is building & it's all I can think, talk & dream about...
Buen Camino my fellow Peregrinos ;)

Starting 16th May with my wife - we will have Australian flags on our packs - but I am sure from what I have read there are many Australians starting around the same time - we should try and meet up on the 15th for a pre-walk drink in SJPDP

With you on that one for a drink, not that I drink anyway but be good to catch up. I'll have my PNG & Aussie flags on my backpack. Well I probably won't be hard to miss with my afro ;)
Cheers
Marie

Meri I am sure we will catch up - have you booked at SJPDP yet as accom is already tight - if you want details for baggage carriers let me know or look at
AnaĂŻs - Advisor Stay
Tourism office of Saint Jean Pied de Port-Baigorry
+33 5 59 37 03 57 - +33 5 59 37 47 28
Find us on your mobile : www.mamontagnebasque.com/

Thanks Larry, I booked a bed last weekend in SJPDP with UltreĂŻa.
Thank you so much, I'll have to message you for more details re baggage carriers, thank you for the links, I've just had a look at but I can't read French... I'll ask a friend to help me translate tonight.
Gee, I really need to learn some level of French, Spanish and oooohhhhhh I'm a little stressed now as I don't learn languages too well. I suppose a smile is universal so I will always be wearing one :D :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Not very kind of you pilgrims: stop talkin about u are leavin in a month. I still missing 4 months!!!!!!!:-( ;-):)

Noticed your home town. our first exchange student was Lucrezia Jalongo from Milano. A few years back we stayed with them in Tuscany. Pace e bene!

It's great to see so much happy anticipation, and I've definitely got it too! Should be starting from St Jean on 8th May - all travel bookings made, etc. My only problem is shoes - I still haven't found a pair that fit well but will keep trying. The perfect pair must be out there somewhere...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
On the Camino. I am in bad shape. Today we walked only 10 km Biskarret to Zubiry. The slowest pilgrim on the Camino.
But, I am famous, we met two pilgrims that have read my entries in the forum.
It was a beautiful day but lots of mud.
The Camino is a lot busier than I expected
Everything hurts .

Gee, I really need to learn some level of French, Spanish and oooohhhhhh I'm a little stressed now as I don't learn languages too well. I suppose a smile is universal so I will always be wearing one :D :)
Don't bother with the French, at least not for this trip. You'll only be in France for a day or two! I'm focusing on a few Spanish sentences and words, and will make up for what I can't say with a smile :D

On the Camino. I am in bad shape. Today we walked only 10 km Biskarret to Zubiry. The slowest pilgrim on the Camino.
Everything hurts .

Praying for you Gil.

Buen Camino!

€46,-
I know what you mean Larry, haven't yet started walking but I have a feeling I won't want my Camino to end when it does... still the excitement for the journey ahead is building & it's all I can think, talk & dream about...
Buen Camino my fellow Peregrinos ;)
I think you and I will be walking at a similar time. I will be leaving SJPP on May 18th. I will be with a group until May 21st when we arrive in Pamplona. Then I will be on my own. Hope to see you along the way. I will have an Osprey backpack with my forum patch and a triangle in a circle patch. I am 5'6'' and slender with light brown/dark blond hair that curly.
Buen Camino
Stefania

:D
Don't bother with the French, at least not for this trip. You'll only be in France for a day or two! I'm focusing on a few Spanish sentences and words, and will make up for what I can't say with a smile :D

Cheers Ullamae, I'll be in France a few days so have learned some words and phrases to help me get by plus it's always good to know a little of the language of the country I'm visiting (in my humble opinion).
But yes I agree, I've been concentrating mostly on learning Spanish - I'm keen to interact with the locals should the opportunity arise :)
You must be getting so excited! You'll be on your Camino soon aye :)

I think you and I will be walking at a similar time. I will be leaving SJPP on May 18th. I will be with a group until May 21st when we arrive in Pamplona. Then I will be on my own. Hope to see you along the way. I will have an Osprey backpack with my forum patch and a triangle in a circle patch. I am 5'6'' and slender with light brown/dark blond hair that curly.
Buen Camino
Stefania

Looking forward to meeting you along the way Stefania :)
I'll have a PNG & Aussie flag on my pack & you can't miss me with my afro unless I have it in braids or something.
Buen Camino
Marie

Everything hurts .

I'm sure you're not the only one hurting and I think it doesn't matter the distance you walk each day, it's your journey and no one else's so you enjoy it, make your own pace & embrace your whole journey.
I know I'll feel pretty much like everything hurts after my first few days on the Camino.
Buen Camino
Marie

The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:
Buen Camino
Arn

I have been searching the forum for a "Class of 2014" page couldn't find one so I took charge :lol: Ivar , if somehow I missed the 2014 page please feel free to delete this.. but first let me know where it's located. With that said ...

Hi , I am Joe from Springdale Arkansas. Laurie and I are in training for our trek from SJPdP to SdC ,scheduled to leave Sept 2014 for our 35th Wedding Anniversary ( was May but seems Oct has less rain?) . Counting the many days until that time. Walking much up hill & down holler to get our bones tuned up and leg muscles primed.

I want to thank you Ivar for this forum , been lurking here for a few weeks now with just a few postings to test the waters. a Tremendous wealth of information .
My wife and I are members of the class of 2014. We too will be walking our first Camino this September. Departing SJPP on the 16th. Our plan is to have none. We will walk on the days if it feels right and sit on the days that it doesn't feel right. I hope we have many sit days. As like you and your wife we have been walking every day in this bad winter weather up and down hills and on long walks. We do at least 5 miles per day and add on good days the 14 mile walk. I am sure when the day comes that we start our Camino we will be prepared physically, it is the mental that I am concerned about. We shall see when it all comes together.
Buen Camino see you on the trail.

To continue my saga, today I passed out 1km short of Larrasoaña, eventually we made it there, we took a taxi to Pamplona to the ER. The doctor said my problem is extreme fatigue. So we are going to spend a couple of days resting in a hotel. Thank God my wife is wonder woman and she takes very good care of me.
I am not giving up yet.

To continue my saga, today I passed out 1km short of Larrasoaña, eventually we made it there, we took a taxi to Pamplona to the ER. The doctor said my problem is extreme fatigue. So we are going to spend a couple of days resting in a hotel. Thank God my wife is wonder woman and she takes very good care of me.
I am not giving up yet.

I'll keep the prayers coming your way Gil, be safe.

Thank you guys. We arrived yo the hotel around 5 pm and i was sleeping within minutes and now it is midnight and I am just waking up. I am feeling better.
It looks like you are never alone in el Camino. The first day we met Luis in Roncesvalles, he walked slowly with us all morning just to make sure I was OK, a guardian angel. The old lady at the hotel, Felipe another walking companion, the taxi driver, Ana the nurse, Maria-Jose the doctor. Everyone seems to worry out me, and all of you, who are praying and thinking of me.
Yes, people are more loving in el Camino.
I thank Jesus because I am fine. Nothing a few good meals and sleep will not cure.

Nothing a few good meals and sleep will not cure.

And nowhere better to have good meals than Pamplona. Sleep whenever you can - some of the locals like to party (even when it is not San Fermin). Siesta is a fine tradition.

If you are still there on Tuesday you could drop in on the Pamplona English Club at O'Connors Irish Pub, Paseo Surasate No 13. They welcome pilgrims to help them practise English and enjoy tapas together.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Does Pamplona have any "nightlife" on Sunday evenings? Also, does anyone know if the pilgrim store is open on Sunday's?

Buen Camino
Arn

Hi Joe and Laurie,
I too am planning on hiking Sep-Oct on the Camino Frances. I am working on thinning down my frame, as well as my backpack. And, planning a walking schedule to begin the end of this week. Does anyone have insight into weather Sep 10-Oct 20? Rain? Temps? Hoping to meet you all enroute!

Hi Joe and Laurie,
I too am planning on hiking Sep-Oct on the Camino Frances. I am working on thinning down my frame, as well as my backpack. And, planning a walking schedule to begin the end of this week. Does anyone have insight into weather Sep 10-Oct 20? Rain? Temps? Hoping to meet you all enroute!

I'm going about the same time as you. Starting from SJPdP on the 9th of Sept and flying back home from Madrid on the 18th of October. I would also be very interested in info on what temps to expect.

Does Pamplona have any "nightlife" on Sunday evenings? Also, does anyone know if the pilgrim store is open on Sunday's?
I don't know a out nite life but I saw yesterday, Sunday, a pilgrim store open on the street that goes up to the cathedral. It called something like "tienda del Camino". The street ic called mayor or its continuation.

Starting from St Jean Pied de Port on the 20th of April 2014, hoping to be in Santiago de Compostella at the end of May.

Hi Joe and Laurie,

Monk Moses and California Dreaming .. I have vigorously researched the weather for this time period and all I can gather is be ready for anything and everything . I am planning on 36 days of rain and high winds. thinking like this , then whats the worse that can happen? - 36 days of rain and high wind :(

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.