• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2014

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My daughter and I start May 31st and her 22nd birthday is June 8th.

I don't think it matters too much where you are really - just let everyone know it is her birthday and the Camino family will respond - especially for a 22 year old girl!

But in answer to your question, if you have plenty of time and are travelling slowly I believe there is a really lovely albergue called "La Casa Magica" at Villatuerta, just 2 kilometres before Estella. Lots of raves on this forum about it. (Search the forum).

Search this site for up to date information for albergues or other accommodation between Estella and Logroño - you will be somewhere between I suspect.

The two places I have never enjoyed are Villamajor de Montjardin and Sansol - both are tiny villages and when I stayed the albergues were not pleasant, and there were no restaurants. However things do change.

Look at Los Arcos, Torres del Rio, and Viana. Viana is notorious for the albergue with triple bunks which can be a shock, but it does have alternative accommodation if you book. And a few good restaurants.

You would really have to be pushing hard to get to Logroño but it's a big place with lots of hotels, restaurants, bars.

There is another thread asking about a present for someone's birthday and there was enthusiasm for a jewellery scallop shell pendant - they are plentiful in Santiago but keep an eye out along the way, you might see something suitable. I bought a pretty blue and white porcelain one in Roncesvalles from the monastery (not expensive) and there are also enamelled or silver ones.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Tamaey, Im starting from SJPDP on September 17th. I'm from Vermont and VERY excited about this trip. Hopefully we will bump into each other- Jessica
I think we have posted to each other, my wife and I start our Camino on the 16th. Sooo excited it is like waiting for Christmas as a 5 year old. We are from up state NY. Hope to see you along the way.
Buen Camino

Des and I are at Sydney airport waiting to leave on our first leg to Dubai / Paris then the train to SJPDP to start our walk in Friday the 16th MAY - see you on the walk over the next 6 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app
Safe journey to France and Buen Camino as you start your adventure. I hope to see you along the Way. It's so exciting! Pennie

Hi all
Are there enough sockets in albergues, or should I bring a Socket Adapter 3-Way Multi-Plug ?
I've heard that the pilgrims who bring the 3-way plug are very popular. ; )

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
After almost a whole year of dreaming and talking about the Camino plus driving my friends and family up the wall with my Camino obsession... I've finally arrived in Europe and am currently on a train to Bordeaux to rest up for the next two days before I start my Camino on Friday.
It's been about 40 hours (traveling & transit time) so far since leaving Alice Springs on Sunday... so I haven't slept in almost two days!!!
Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to meeting some of you walking around the same time I am. See you Friday in SJPDP or somewhere along the Way! :)

Buen Camino!
Marie

P.s. my longest travel time ever so I'm feeling very tired yet pleased that I haven't got lost... yet!? No better not jinx myself... I don't feel like missing my stop in Bordeaux when I'm this tired.
BTW! It's past 8pm and it's still light! And there's been so many gentleman helping me out at the train station... chivalry is not dead I'm pleased to report :)

Thank you for sharing your list John. Sad to hear that you may not be leaving this month. Was looking forward to walking with you for a ways. Hope that your health issues get resolved quickly. You must take care of yourself first!!! Ed

Ed,
If I can be there and share a few miles with you I would be delighted.

Long story short. Double lung infection these past couple of months. Infection clearing but have a cough which as it stands today certainly means if I share dorms or rooms with other folks the least that would happen to me would be a lynching :confused:

Not giving up though. Due to fly out 24th May and will make the go or not call on the 23rd.

Hope to meet you in person.

Buen Camino Ed.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Leaving in twelve days, walking in 14!!! Still working on packing and unpacking....hard to decide what to leave in/what to leave out! Not too worry, I know. I shall be clothed, fed and tucked in somewhere each night! I am looking forward to my time on the Camino, life lessons learned to be brought back and put into practice....so excited that it literally takes my breath away. Buen Camino to all you current pilgrims out there, pilgrims about to start and those contemplating when to start. May our paths crossed, for I know I will be the one truly blessed!

Buen Camino,
Rosemary

Ed,
If I can be there and share a few miles with you I would be delighted.

Long story short. Double lung infection these past couple of months. Infection clearing but have a cough which as it stands today certainly means if I share dorms or rooms with other folks the least that would happen to me would be a lynching :confused:

Not giving up though. Due to fly out 24th May and will make the go or not call on the 23rd.

Hope to meet you in person.

Buen Camino Ed.
Good luck John....I hope it works out the way it is supposed to!
Rosemary

After almost a whole year of dreaming and talking about the Camino plus driving my friends and family up the wall with my Camino obsession... I've finally arrived in Europe and am currently on a train to Bordeaux to rest up for the next two days before I start my Camino on Friday.
It's been about 40 hours (traveling & transit time) so far since leaving Alice Springs on Sunday... so I haven't slept in almost two days!!!
Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to meeting some of you walking around the same time I am. See you Friday in SJPDP or somewhere along the Way! :)

Buen Camino!
Marie

P.s. my longest travel time ever so I'm feeling very tired yet pleased that I haven't got lost... yet!? No better not jinx myself... I don't feel like missing my stop in Bordeaux when I'm this tired.
BTW! It's past 8pm and it's still light! And there's been so many gentleman helping me out at the train station... chivalry is not dead I'm pleased to report :)

Go Meri !
It's another beautiful world over there isn't it? Enjoy those long evenings with a drop of vino.
I'm glad to read that you are having a couple if days rest before starting after your very long haul !

I wish I was there too !

Buen Camino.
Annie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you Kanga. Yeah I don't want to rush it. But appreciate the input. Am going to put your comments in my notes folder on my phone.

Go Meri !
It's another beautiful world over there isn't it? Enjoy those long evenings with a drop of vino.
I'm glad to read that you are having a couple if days rest before starting after your very long haul !

I wish I was there too !

Buen Camino.
Annie

Thanks Annie, certainly is different... I'm afraid my fear of falling in love with Europe is coming true! ;)
I'm glad too I fitted in some rest days, my body clock is not happy at the moment but hopefully I'll be good to go by Thursday :)

Buen Camino!

Marie

Today is my day. I leave Minneapolis, fly to Dallas, then to Madrid, then to Pamplona. I will spend the night there, and bus to SJPP on Saturday. On Sunday I will begin my walk to Orisson, and then onward to SDC. I have learned so much from all of you here on the forum and hope to meet many of you on the Way. Thank you for your knowledge, wisdom and kind words as I planned and prepared. As I look towards my Camino I wonder, what lessons await me? What unexpected experiences? What new relationships will develop? I know this will be an adventure of a lifetime. I am so excited! Pennie

ps. Yes I have my spork and my 3 way adapter. ;)

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Today is my day. I leave Minneapolis, fly to Dallas, then to Madrid, then to Pamplona. I will spend the night there, and bus to SJPP on Saturday. On Sunday I will begin my walk to Orisson, and then onward to SDC. I have learned so much from all of you here on the forum and hope to meet many of you on the Way. Thank you for your knowledge, wisdom and kind words as I planned and prepared. As I look towards my Camino I wonder, what lessons await me? What unexpected experiences? What new relationship will develop? I know this will be an adventure of a lifetime. I am so excited! Pennie

I envy you right now. I have to wait till mid September before I start my new life. Please

Today is my day. I leave Minneapolis, fly to Dallas, then to Madrid, then to Pamplona. I will spend the night there, and bus to SJPP on Saturday. On Sunday I will begin my walk to Orisson, and then onward to SDC. I have learned so much from all of you here on the forum and hope to meet many of you on the Way. Thank you for your knowledge, wisdom and kind words as I planned and prepared. As I look towards my Camino I wonder, what lessons await me? What unexpected experiences? What new relationship will develop? I know this will be an adventure of a lifetime. I am so excited! Pennie

Buen Camino Pennie. I am certain that what you are looking for you will find on the Way. Keep your eyes open and pray for guidance as you walk.

Buena Suerta.

Ed

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Hey Pennie and everyone!
I too leave today and start my walk from SJPP on Sunday. Pennie, I will see you at Orrison. I can not express how grateful I am for all the help, suggestions, words of encouragement and humor on this forum and of course Ivar. Without this forum and Ivar's continuous work/support I can't imagine that I would be prepared as I am.
I look forward to meeting so many of you! My forum patch is on my pack! Good luck and Buen Camino to all!
Stefania

Today is my day. I leave Minneapolis, fly to Dallas, then to Madrid, then to Pamplona. I will spend the night there, and bus to SJPP on Saturday. On Sunday I will begin my walk to Orisson, and then onward to SDC. I have learned so much from all of you here on the forum and hope to meet many of you on the Way. Thank you for your knowledge, wisdom and kind words as I planned and prepared. As I look towards my Camino I wonder, what lessons await me? What unexpected experiences? What new relationships will develop? I know this will be an adventure of a lifetime. I am so excited! Pennie

Buen Camino Pennie. Be safe!!

Rosemary

Hey Pennie and everyone!
I too leave today and start my walk from SJPP on Sunday. Pennie, I will see you at Orrison. I can not express how grateful I am for all the help, suggestions, words of encouragement and humor on this forum and of course Ivar. Without this forum and Ivar's continuous work/support I can't imagine that I would be prepared as I am.
I look forward to meeting so many of you! My forum patch is on my pack! Good luck and Buen Camino to all!
Stefania
Stefania!
Buen Camino! Take it ALL in!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I reached SJPDP today and am staying at Gîte ULTREIA which is a lovely Albergue, 20 euros including breakfast.
I started making new friends from Bordeaux and tonight I have had a lovely meal and maybe a bit too much vino but it feels great to be finally here!
Also ditching a few things to lighten my pack. SJPDP is so hilly you get a feel of uphill climbing already... I reckon I'll be really quite slow tomorrow but looking forward to the adventure none the less :)

Tomorrow on to Roncesvalles and beyond ;)
It has been beautiful sunny weather the past two days and I hope it continues for a while yet.

Buen Camino!
Marie

I reached SJPDP today and am staying at Gîte ULTREIA which is a lovely Albergue, 20 euros including breakfast.
I started making new friends from Bordeaux and tonight I have had a lovely meal and maybe a bit too much vino but it feels great to be finally here!
Also ditching a few things to lighten my pack. SJPDP is so hilly you get a feel of uphill climbing already... I reckon I'll be really quite slow tomorrow but looking forward to the adventure none the less :)

It has been beautiful sunny weather the past two days and I hope it continues for a while yet.

Buen Camino!
Marie
Hey Marie,
Glad you made it! Looks like you are going to have great weather crossing the Pyrenees! Maybe som rain on Tuesday.
Buen Camino my friend! Leave a little of your happy spirit in St. Jean so I can grab it when I get there next week!
Rosemary

Hey Marie,
Glad you made it! Looks like you are going to have great weather crossing the Pyrenees! Maybe som rain on Tuesday.
Buen Camino my friend! Leave a little of your happy spirit in St. Jean so I can grab it when I get there next week!
Rosemary

Hola Rosemary
I think I was praying for Sunshine to cross the French Pyrenees and then whatever else comes comes ;)
I'll send put positive energy just for you Rosemary :) and hopefully we shall meet along the way, I plan to go as slow as I want so you may very well catch up with me!
Buen Camino my friend :)

Marie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm going through a bit of a health issue that has put my Camino start date of 25th May in jeopardy :(

Cheered myself up by having another practice pack and thought I'd share my packing list in case it can be of use to others.View attachment 9778

John,

Sorry to hear about the health issue. I hope it rights itself by then. On the other hand, I hear September is a good month. ( ;) That's when I am going. Hee hee.)

The photo was great. I need to start organizing a bit myself. Thanks for the help.

Buen Camino.
Mary

John,

Sorry to hear about the health issue. I hope it rights itself by then. On the other hand, I hear September is a good month. ( ;) That's when I am going. Hee hee.)

The photo was great. I need to start organizing a bit myself. Thanks for the help.

Buen Camino.
Mary

Thanks Mary.

Health greatly improved. So much so I'm certain to start from StJPDP as planned on the 25th of this month. (Which means I won't need to wait until September like you ;).

Took the advice from our experienced and dear friends on the forum (not for the first time I might add), and sprayed some essential gear with bed bug deterrent this morning. It's all hanging in the sun right now drying.

image.jpg

If anyone wants catch up with me during my Camino and learn from my mistakes I'll be attempting to blog each day. My blog link is below in my signature block.

I saw a book title about a Pilgrims' Camino called something like "A million steps......." That set me thinking (which usually gets me into trouble of some sort :rolleyes:), and I've decided to take a pedometer with me to record the steps I take. It won't be a scientific trial, just a bit of fun out of curiosity.

Buen Camino

Hi
I will also start on June 1st from SJPP. I will fly to BCN on May 30, get a train to Pamplona an spend the night at Corazon Puro. Next day they will take me to SJPP. I am 46 yo and I am from Romania.

PS You can check on "Events" who will be around.
Hi crios. I will be Spending the night at Corazon Puro on the 30th on May on my way down from Roncesvalles so might get to meet you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi. Hope someone cane help us decide which camino to walk. We're in our early 50s, reasonably fit and plan on staring our walk October1st. We have long service leave from our jobs so time isn't an issue, but we're not sure whether to do the Norte, de la plata or frances . Norte and silver walks appeals because of the route but the frances seems more practical for 2 non Spanish speaking novices. Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks

Thanks Mary.

Health greatly improved. So much so I'm certain to start from StJPDP as planned on the 25th of this month. (Which means I won't need to wait until September like you ;).

Took the advice from our experienced and dear friends on the forum (not for the first time I might add), and sprayed some essential gear with bed bug deterrent this morning. It's all hanging in the sun right now drying.

View attachment 10011

If anyone wants catch up with me during my Camino and learn from my mistakes I'll be attempting to blog each day. My blog link is below in my signature block.

I saw a book title about a Pilgrims' Camino called something like "A million steps......." That set me thinking (which usually gets me into trouble of some sort :rolleyes:), and I've decided to take a pedometer with me to record the steps I take. It won't be a scientific trial, just a bit of fun out of curiosity.

Buen Camino
Excellent news John. Buen Camino!!

Ed

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Mary- what did you use as a bed bug deterrent for your clothes? Permethrin?

Hi. Hope someone cane help us decide which camino to walk. We're in our early 50s, reasonably fit and plan on staring our walk October1st. We have long service leave from our jobs so time isn't an issue, but we're not sure whether to do the Norte, de la plata or frances . Norte and silver walks appeals because of the route but the frances seems more practical for 2 non Spanish speaking novices. Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks

What is your motivation? I ask because if you are just after a lovely long distance walk I would suggest starting in Le Puy and walking to SJPDP, but if you are seeking the pilgrim experience then for a first Camino it has to be the Frances. As you are talking about long service leave I'm assuming about 6 weeks - if you have 3 months then you could start at Le Puy and walk all the way to Santiago - that way you get both!

Mary- what did you use as a bed bug deterrent for your clothes? Permethrin?
Hello zolarose,

I think you may have meant that question for me.

I did use Permetherin, but, I didn't spray any clothes. I only sprayed the inside and outside of my pack, outside of of my sleeping bag, outside of a pack liner and outside of a sleeping bag liner.

Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I did that, over 24 hour travel, one night in Pamplona next day to Roncesvalles and started to walk right away; tired and jet lagged. Result I passed our with exhaustion two days later. I had to rest in Pamplona for 3 days.
My suggestion: if you can afford the time spend an extra day in Pamplona resting
Buen Camino

Leaving in 60 days!
It finally hit me today that I leave in exactly 3 weeks! I arrive in Madrid on May 6th, and will start from Roncessvalles on the 8th. I'm starting to feel under prepared!
30 day countdown. For the past week, I've been forgetting things, losing things, unable to focus, extremely sensitive, just to name a few things. My neighbor found my wallet in the laundry room and I have no recollection of even being in the laundry room. Couldn't figure what was going on until I realized that my 880km overseas adventure begins in the-wink-of-an-eye; knowing myself as I do, I suspect I'm having a subconscious anxiety attack although intellectually I am certain I will have an amazing experience. Glad to know I'm not the only one feeling this way. Sariah, you must be a couple weeks into the Camino at this point.

I did that, over 24 hour travel, one night in Pamplona next day to Roncesvalles and started to walk right away; tired and jet lagged. Result I passed our with exhaustion two days later. I had to rest in Pamplona for 3 days.
My suggestion: if you can afford the time spend an extra day in Pamplona resting
Buen Camino
Hi Gil
That is one of the BEST bits of advice anyone can give.
Rest and revive first - from jet lag before you start.

Unfortunately, so many of us (count me) want to get going ! And like someone quoted on another thread recently (I think Rebekah ). We all have to. 'Touch the stove'. I could understand the expression perfectly !

Thanks Mary.

View attachment 10011

Buen Camino
John,

Excellent news about your health! I'm very happy for you. I had to smile when I saw the color of your fence. It looks like the same color I chose for my gate. Enjoy your "walk." :) I, and many others, I'm sure, will enjoy reading your blog.

Buen Camino,
Mary

What is your motivation? I ask because if you are just after a lovely long distance walk I would suggest starting in Le Puy and walking to SJPDP, but if you are seeking the pilgrim experience then for a first Camino it has to be the Frances. As you are talking about long service leave I'm assuming about 6 weeks - if you have 3 months then you could start at Le Puy and walk all the way to Santiago - that way you get both!

I like the sound of that! We actually have until 21 November when we have accommodation booked in Santiago. Not sure what our motivation is really. It's been on my bucket list for many years for many reasons. I'll check out the Le Puy route. Many thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
One more week and I leave the states. I had to take Melatonin last night just to sleep. It is nice to know others are going through the forgetfulness, anxiety, emotions, and worry. I have traveled a lot to Europe and never felt like this. I think it is the emotions of the actual walk. It did not help when I saw my airline was going on strike. Good thing the strike does not start until the day after my last flight with them. Don't know how unions work in Europe so just crossing my fingers they can't change the date once it is set.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks Larry. We will be purchasing our walking sticks in SJPP. If anyone has any suggestions for what to get and where - would be much appreciative.

Almost anything you need you can get in SJPDP or later in Pamplona - anti pain cream to relieve legs is helpful - watch your weight

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks Larry. I am good on the weight. I have packed my bag twice so far and I am under the 10% right now. But I still have a few things to pack so should be at my 10% when I leave. I am a low maintenance person so it was not hard to keep my pack light. I am also the type of person that is ok with purchase as you go. I am also ok with using services when needed. I am fortunate that I don't have a time frame.

Bring spare caps for your walking poles we wore out ours after day 3

Hi larry
Why do you leave your caps on when walking? I remove them, except when i want to stop the tap tap on concrete or early mornings thru towns so as not to wake others. My caps are fine . A friend I walked with liked to keep caps on all the way and hers wore thru. You can buy spares along the way tho. The shop in O'Cebrero where she asked, had plenty in stock. They did fit her poles too, no probs.
Buen camino Larry. Good to hear you're travelling well

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I will arrive in Pamplona on July 4th. I want the stop at the Cathedral and a few other places then on to SJPDP. I will be coming back through Pamplona on July 7th. First day of San Fermin. Any suggestions on best way to deal with the crowds?

...Any suggestions on best way to deal with the crowds?
You will inevitably meet crowds: Pamplona, as always with S. Fermin, is solidly booked out and so are the nearby accommodation facilities in villages. So the best way on your pilgrimage is to stay in an albergue well before Pamplona, cross the town by public service (bus, taxi, bus) past Cizur Menor and walk towards Puente la Reina. Various albergues in villages before will probably have vacancies.

Hi larry
Why do you leave your caps on when walking? I remove them, except when i want to stop the tap tap on concrete or early mornings thru towns so as not to wake others. My caps are fine . A friend I walked with liked to keep caps on all the way and hers wore thru. You can buy spares along the way tho. The shop in O'Cebrero where she asked, had plenty in stock. They did fit her poles too, no probs.
I remove the rubber tips on soft surfaces where the poles are more likely to slip if they are left on. On concrete and asphalt, I replace the rubber tips. I carry spares, but if they are available, I will buy them to replace a worn out pair of tips.

€83,-
Hi all, I'll start my camino june 8th in Santander. Love to read all experiences and also the questions from other rookies! Will Come back in this topic after reading more! Tnx!

In 20 minutes time I will leave my home and start making my way to my first Camino. I'm starting from StJPDP on 25th May.

This message is simply to say a huge THANK YOU to all the Forum Members who have shared their knowledge, time and experience with me, who have encouraged me and who have become my physical and e-friends. You have all helped me to get to this starting point.

Buen Camino.

In 20 minutes time I will leave my home and start making my way to my first Camino. I'm starting from StJPDP on 25th May.

This message is simply to say a huge THANK YOU to all the Forum Members who have shared their knowledge, time and experience with me, who have encouraged me and who have become my physical and e-friends. You have all helped me to get to this starting point.

Buen Camino.

Buen Camino John!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Buen Camino.
Keep in touch John. Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Buen Camino.

Hello John, happy walking!
I am currently on my 7th day on the Camino & am at the Azofra municipal Albergue! If you get a chance to get here, you should stay as it's €7 a bed, all rooms have only 2 beds! There's a pool, kitchen, washing machine, dryer, restaurants... it's darn good especially if there aren't too many pilgrims & one is given a room to herself to rest up!
Great place yo stay :)

Buen Camino!

€83,-
We are leaving Dublin in the morning to fly to Biarritz. Leaving St Jean Monday morning for Roncesvalles. Will be walking to Estella. Can't believe I'm going in the morning! Booked the flights in November and now it's here. How did that happen do quick?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
MeriPNG thank you for the heads up on good place to stay. We start next Saturday so interested in good places to stay.
No worries paladycamino, I'll do my best to put infor up here on great places to stay, the Azofra municipal Albergue really seemed like an oasis and I was glad I pushed on another 6km after Najere. Definitely a gem :)
Bon Camino
Marie :)

P.s. this Camino is fabulous, already I have met and made so many new friends and celebrated my 33rd birthday last night with beautiful new friends. Even went to a local bar in Santo Domingo de la Calzada to watch a Spanish football match between Real Madrid and Athletico... what an experience! And the Spanish people are great! :)

I did use the caps only for concretely, I had to replace them 3 times - I guess I am hard on the sticks - and I did not have any problems finding where to buy them.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi all !
I am leaving early morning tomorrow from Bucharest to Barcelona (landing at 10:40 - backpack on board). I will be fast (and lucky) enough (EU citizen !), I will catch the 12:10 train from BCN Sants to Pamplona (arriving at 16:06) and then the 17:30 bus to SJPP.
If not, I could catch the 15:30 train and arrive to Pamplona at 19:20. In this case I will try to get the credencial and spend the night at Albergue de Jesús y María, and the next day take the bus or share a taxi to SJPP. In the worst case scenario, I will start my Camino Monday, June 2nd.

Just can't wait !

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Is anyone else starting around August 24?

Hi Solarose,

You will be ahead of me by a day. I will stay the night at Refuge Orisson on the 25th of August. I might catch up with you somewhere towards Pamplona, God willing.

Buen Camino!
Marie
Marie, what did you ditch to lighten your pack? Alyssa:)

Thanks Mary.

Buen Camino
Started reading your blog today; am really enjoying your wordsmithing. Ultreya!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Starting from SJPP on 21 September. 110 days and counting...

Hi Solarose,

You will be ahead of me by a day. I will stay the night at Refuge Orisson on the 25th of August. I might catch up with you somewhere towards Pamplona, God willing.

That would be wonderful Angelo. I intend to be a very slow walker for the first week. I'm sure we will find each other along the way.

ZolaRose

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
That's a good approach to the Camino, ZolaRose. Walk slowly but surely and enjoy the walk injury-free.

I wonder how MeriPNG is going now? We haven't heard from you again, Marie. Keep those lovely messages coming if you have a chance.

Narrowed to sometime during the first 2 weeks in September Ivar.. don't want TO much heat ,as we get plenty here in Arkansas and would like cooler climes while treking. Thinking 2 days to cross to Rancasvalles which hopefully will be cool... then take our time to enjoy the other 490 miles , smell a few roses along The Way.
Hope to see you on the Way as I am leaving again from SJPDP in or around the 5th September.
Trevor

Hi Everyone!

My name is Tamaey and I'll be walking the Camino Sep/Oct of 2014 and have visualized this for over 10yrs and finally see the starting line :) in site! I am from South Bend, IN and will flying from Chicago to Paris then taking the train from Paris to Bayonne and then onto SJPdP. I'm wanting to avoid BIG crowds so thought maybe the 3rd week in Sep to begin and taking my time up to 45 days. Anyone know if its too cold to walk mid-late Oct?

Looking forward to connecting with all of you, thanks for this GREAT forum, I've learned so much already!
2013 was fine around then I am back but starting 5th September last year I started the 21st. September.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Things I have learned on my first week on the Camino. If you have the time stop in Orisson. The hills are soooo steep going up to there and Roncevallas that everyone we spoke to said they wished they stopped if they would have known. But book in advance because they do fill up. Do not push yourself because you will pay for it again if you have the time. We have met a lot of people who have had to walk 4 towns to find a place to stay. We only had problem one night and we just pushed on and we found a place. But I think the best thing we have done so far is not to follow the guide books on where to stay because everyone else follows that and that is why they are full. The spanish people are soooo helpful that you don´t worry about anything. Our system now is when we stop for lunch we have someone at the cafe call ahead and reserve for us so we don´t have to worry about getting a bed. That has worked out well. We are in Lagrono now and they have a week long festival going on and it is really festive here. I would highly recommend the aberge entresuarios (but book ahead because they fill up) here because it is like a modern hotel for only 10 euros and it is centrally located. Plus the computer is free and the keyboard is as close to american as you can get in spain. large gathering area to sit and relax and nice kitchen. It is a wonderful journey and exactly like everyone has said you can´t really describe how you feel but things I would complain about at home are not a problem here. So tranquil.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Trevor
Am leaving St Jean on the 4th, so no doubt we will cross paths.
Happy planning!
I will be in STPDP on the 3rd we should catchup for a drink and to say hi where are u staying.
Trevor

Th
Hi Trevor
I'll be touching down in St Jean on the 3rd, starting out on the 4th
Booked into Gite Ultreia.
Keep in touch.

David
thats good as that is where I stayed and am staying again I will be in on the 3rd but I stay two nights as its a long trip from Oz, how about dinner and a drink on the 3rd.
Trev

Th

thats good as that is where I stayed and am staying again I will be in on the 3rd but I stay two nights as its a long trip from Oz, how about dinner and a drink on the 3rd.
Trev

Sounds perfect Trevor!
Sould be arriving in St Jean close on 6 after the bus trip from Bayonne.

I will be starting my second camino on the 29th September '14. Starting in Lisbon and doing the Portugal route. I'm super excited and can't wait to get going. Plane tickets already only have injury ATM (plantar fasciitis ). Really hoping this is all good by then.

Greetings, one and all! I suppose it's time we weighed in as part of the Class of 2014 (September). We are now 100 days away from departing for our first Camino. We plan to leave SJPdP on Friday, September 19 and, if all goes reasonably well, will arrive in Santiago de Compostela on or around October 24. Looking forward to perhaps meeting some of you along The Way.
Richard and Marla

Is anyone else starting around August 24?
Zolarose, Are you still starting out on the 24th as I have booked into Orrison so might see you and all the others on the road.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi John,

Thanks for sharing your daily experiences on your Camino. I have just found your blog and started to read it. A big help to us who are about to start our pilgrimage. It's very insightful and the photos are interesting.

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.