• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Closed albergues in Pamplona during San Fermin

Barbara95hr

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan on waking the camino in July (2015.)
I ahve written about this in another topic but maybe not all will read it so here it goes...

Fellow peregrinos. As some of you are aware I was trying to find accommodation in albuergues in Pamplona on July 5th-6th since I will be arriving pretty late (either at 22:00h or next day in the morning at 04:00h). Some of you have suggested Albergue De Jesus y Maria. I have emailed them and this is their response:
"Good morning we close the hostel from 5 to July 14.
a greeting"

This is a note for peregrinos who might be on the Camino in that period so they know not to look for accommodation there since they will be closed. So you don't walk there in vain. Also a lot of other albuergues are either full or won't charge you regular price but much higher. I have also emailed all the other Pamplona albergues from the list and I'm waiting for their reply. I will let everyone know if some of them are closed too. Maybe it would be best to avoid Pamplona and keep walking to another town or take alternative route like someone suggested here before.
Hope this info helps ;)

Also if some of you have info on this please share with the rest of us. thanx and buen camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked through Pamplona the day before San Fermin. No danger off getting a bed. Absolutely mobbed. Eveeryone, myself included walked on to Cizur Menor- 2 albergues there. Loads of beds.

I walked through Pamplona the day before San Fermin. No danger off getting a bed. Absolutely mobbed. Eveeryone, myself included walked on to Cizur Menor- 2 albergues there. Loads of beds.

well my problem is that I'm coming from Barcelona and I need to go to SJPdP first where I will start my camino, so walking anywhere from Pamplona that late makes no sense and I need to be rested to start my walk the next day from SJPdP. I have posted this for other peregrinos who will be on Camino during that period so they will know not to expect accommodation (or at least for peregrino price), like I will do myself when I get back to pamplona again in few days and will listen to your advice and just keep on walking through it to Cizur Menor ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There are still places available in Pamplona on booking.com, though the prices are rather high of course.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You can get a Pamplona pickup, bus station or airport, a bed, food, and delivery to SJPdP from:
http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html

It is faster and cheaper than most of the alternatives.

I have already contacted them and unfortunately my arrival is too late (by train at 22:45) or too early (by bus at 04:00) and they said they can't pick me up and I can't stay with them so....... :(
Thank you for the advice though

If you don't have problems to sleep/rest in buses, instead of taking the bus from Barcelona to Pamplona, take it all the way till Irún. That's an 8 hours route that would allow you enough resting in the bus. Once in Irún (on the Spanish side of the border), walk accross the river to Hendaye (on the French side of the border), and continue from Hendaye to SJPP by train (changing trains in Bayonne and from train to bus in Cambo des Baines). Take a look at www.sncf.com for info about the route from Hendaye to SJPP and at www.monbus.es for the route from Barcelona to Irún. If all goes as planned, you would arrive to SJPP around 09:00 a.m.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi. I've been to the San Fermin festival before. The Australians all sleep in tents outside of town, in part because many hotels will not rent the rooms if they present Australian passports -- or so I was told by a desk clerk. In any case, there are plenty of places outside of town that will book you a campsite with amenities such as food, shower, etc. It may not be quiet, it may be a little bit off the beaten path, but you will find something in advance if you look around. This is a rather large hostel type accommodation. If memory serves, they also offer the furnished tent option. http://www.campingezcaba.com/san-fermin-2/?lang=en Buen Camino.

I ahve written about this in another topic but maybe not all will read it so here it goes...

Fellow peregrinos. As some of you are aware I was trying to find accommodation in albuergues in Pamplona on July 5th-6th since I will be arriving pretty late (either at 22:00h or next day in the morning at 04:00h). Some of you have suggested Albergue De Jesus y Maria. I have emailed them and this is their response:
"Good morning we close the hostel from 5 to July 14.
a greeting"

This is a note for peregrinos who might be on the Camino in that period so they know not to look for accommodation there since they will be closed. So you don't walk there in vain. Also a lot of other albuergues are either full or won't charge you regular price but much higher. I have also emailed all the other Pamplona albergues from the list and I'm waiting for their reply. I will let everyone know if some of them are closed too. Maybe it would be best to avoid Pamplona and keep walking to another town or take alternative route like someone suggested here before.
Hope this info helps ;)

Also if some of you have info on this please share with the rest of us. thanx and buen camino
Does one need to call in advance if arriving at 2:40 in Pamplona by train?

Whom do you mean to call in advance?!? I've found an albergue de villava (just outside Pamplona) that offered me a place for 20€ (totally acceptable) but I needed to pay it up front. Since I'm not sure I'll make the last train I didn't do it but at least they offer accommodation.
And 2:40 is in the afternoon or early in the morning?!? I'm European so I assume that's in the morning otherwise it would be 14:40 but I'm just checking ;)
Also if it's in the morning I'm not sure they will let you in. You have to contact them and ask yourself: info@alberguedevillava.com

What date are you arriving and where from if you don't mind me asking? Maybe we can share a transport or something. You can private message me
Best of luck in searching accommodation and buean camino :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Barbara.
Have you solved the problem? If you still have problems, I can help you .
I wait for your news.
Un saludo.

Hello Barbara.
Have you solved the problem? If you still have problems, I can help you .
I wait for your news.
Un saludo.

Dear Mikel,
my problem is that I still don't know if I'll catch the last train to Pamplona. my plane lands at 17:30 and the last train from barcelona to pamplona is at 18:35. If I catch it then I'll be in Pamplona at 22:45 and then maybe I could use your help :) if not I'll try to catch the last bus for Irun or last train via Touluse. I don't want to catch the last bus to Pamplona as it would make me arrive to pamplona at 04:00 in the morning :-/

Hello Barabara.
There isn't problem. You come to Pamplona. No matter if train or bus.
Just tell me the time of arrival at Pamplona. I'll be waiting and after rest will find a way to go to Saint Jean. Ok
Un saludo.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Honestly, if I was walking through Iruna/Pamplona during San Fermin, I'd make it one of my (very few) splurge nights, book a hotel in advance, plan a short walking day the next day (the albergue in Uterga is very nice), and take in some of the fiesta! It's one of the most famous of all Basque festivals, supposed to be a good time, and at its heart it is a religious festival.

ondo ibili!

Honestly, if I was walking through Iruna/Pamplona during San Fermin, I'd make it one of my (very few) splurge nights, book a hotel in advance, plan a short walking day the next day (the albergue in Uterga is very nice), and take in some of the fiesta! It's one of the most famous of all Basque festivals, supposed to be a good time, and at its heart it is a religious festival.

I would avoid Pamplona (Spanish name of the city)/Iruña or Iruñea (Basque names of the city) like the plague during San Fermín Festival. Even more if I was a woman (some reading: http://bajoelfuego.blogspot.com/2013/07/espana-las-tradicionales-fiestas-de-san.html). I think San Fermín will by crying if he's seeing all what is made in his honour. However, lovers of massive partying may enjoy San Fermín festival (or so I think).

P.S.: Pamplona is the capital city of the Autonomous Community of Navarre.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would avoid Pamplona (Spanish name of the city)/Iruña or Iruñea (Basque names of the city) like the plague during San Fermín Festival. Even more if I was a woman (some reading: http://bajoelfuego.blogspot.com/2013/07/espana-las-tradicionales-fiestas-de-san.html). I think San Fermín will by crying if he's seeing all what is made in his honour. However, lovers of massive partying may enjoy San Fermín festival (or so I think).
As someone who lives in New Orleans Louisiana I have a lot of experience in differentiating between some elements of a festival and other elements---and in not letting some elements define all of the elements. For instance, Carnival and Mardi Gras are actually a family festival here, but I wouldn't take a child to Bourbon Street during Carnival. San Fermin is certainly a rowdy party, and there certainly are unsavory things that go on in part of that party. Trying to define all of San Fermin by those unsavory things is not fair, however.

Trying to define all of San Fermin by those unsavory things is not fair, however.

It seems my post needs some clarification(s) because I wasn't really defining (all) San Fermín festival by the sort of acts quoted on the link I provided.

I said I would avoid San Fermín festival like the plague but I didn't say why so I'll explain it. I would avoid it because I don't like crowds and Pamplona/Iruña/Iruñea gets really crowded during the Festival (with full accommodations, people sleeping in parks...). Moreover, if I was making a pilgrimage, I wouldn't like to have to research when and where I could be within a city to avoid typical Festival things (in Spain) like (too much) noise, finding drunken people...; things that usually get bigger as bigger, in attendants, is the Festival.

Being the OP a woman, I felt it was necessary to warn her about aggressions towards women on the Festival so she could take whatever preventive measures she considers neccessary. As I said, if I was a woman, those aggressions would be for me another reason to avoid the festival. It doesn't mean they define the festival. It means I find sexual (3 rape reports on 2011) and/or sexist aggressions serious enough as to avoid any situation that might mean to be victim of them.

P.S.: The city council made a guide with info about how to prevent that sort of aggressions and what to make if you suffer them during the festival (you can read it: www.sanfermin.com/files/Image/guia/guia_sexismo_es.pdf).

As someone who lives in New Orleans Louisiana I have a lot of experience in differentiating between some elements of a festival and other elements---and in not letting some elements define all of the elements. For instance, Carnival and Mardi Gras are actually a family festival here, but I wouldn't take a child to Bourbon Street during Carnival. San Fermin is certainly a rowdy party, and there certainly are unsavory things that go on in part of that party. Trying to define all of San Fermin by those unsavory things is not fair, however.

As someone who has spent countless days and night at Carnival in NOLA and has been to the Festival twice, I cannot echo this enough. People think I am crazy when I tell them that if I have a daughter someday we will go to Carnival together until she is about 13, then she is never allowed to go again!

That said: If you are in the area during the Festival, you are making a mistake, even if you are a single female, by not going to the festival. The partying and problems they are describing are non-existent until well after 11pm and the festival has plenty of wonderful religious and family activities, as well as bull fights, during the day. Standing on the side of the road surrounded by fascinated locals with their children as the gigantes y cabezudos
parade goes by will be a cherished memory for a life time ... or maybe just a good excuse to splurge on cotton candy or the amazing roasted nuts and wine being sold by the street vendors.

Here's a look:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It seems my post needs some clarification(s) because I wasn't really defining (all) San Fermín festival by the sort of acts quoted on the link I provided.

I said I would avoid San Fermín festival like the plague but I didn't say why so I'll explain it. I would avoid it because I don't like crowds and Pamplona/Iruña/Iruñea gets really crowded during the Festival (with full accommodations, people sleeping in parks...). Moreover, if I was making a pilgrimage, I wouldn't like to have to research when and where I could be within a city to avoid typical Festival things (in Spain) like (too much) noise, finding drunken people...; things that usually get bigger as bigger, in attendants, is the Festival.

Being the OP a woman, I felt it was necessary to warn her about aggressions towards women on the Festival so she could take whatever preventive measures she considers neccessary. As I said, if I was a woman, those aggressions would be for me another reason to avoid the festival. It doesn't mean they define the festival. It means I find sexual (3 rape reports on 2011) and/or sexist aggressions serious enough as to avoid any situation that might mean to be victim of them.

P.S.: The city council made a guide with info about how to prevent that sort of aggressions and what to make if you suffer them during the festival (you can read it: www.sanfermin.com/files/Image/guia/guia_sexismo_es.pdf).

The link you provided is in spanish and pdf so I can't translate it, but thx anyway. I must say I agree with you and will avoid the festival because I'm going to this pilgrimage for certain resons and not to party at a festival. If I do want to see it it would be a special trip just for that and not now. :)

Just curious, is it difficult to walk thru Pamplona during the festival? I mean as a pilgrim just passing thru, so that would be during the day. The typical time frame of mid-morning till about 1:00 pm.
I stopped there for both my Caminos, but they were not during San Fermin festival time.

Portions of the route will be closed during the running of the Bulls at 7am. In addition, on certain days, they will move cows and test the course. So it will be closed briefly. Otherwise, you will find it easy to get around.

The portions of the Camino that pass through the festival are quickly deserted after the morning running. The party goers have been up all night and go home to sleep. The "normal" are not yet out or avoiding the heat of the day. Literally twenty minutes after Estefeta street is jam packed with the pandemonium of runners and bulls, you'll find it deserted except for annoyed cops and ambulance workers enjoying the overtime. The crowds don't return until 4 to 5pm, unless there is a religious parade going on.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The link you provided is in spanish and pdf so I can't translate it, but thx anyway. I must say I agree with you and will avoid the festival because I'm going to this pilgrimage for certain resons and not to party at a festival. If I do want to see it it would be a special trip just for that and not now. :)
Then may San Fermin guide you and protect you until you return.

Hi Barbara.
I'm doing queries train ticket.
I'll tell you.
Mikel.

Hi Barbara.
The ticket for the train is necessary.
If you think you can catch the train you can buy in advance.
Mikel.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello Barabara.
There isn't problem. You come to Pamplona. No matter if train or bus.
Just tell me the time of arrival at Pamplona. I'll be waiting and after rest will find a way to go to Saint Jean. Ok
Un saludo.

Thank you so much for your generous offer :))) How could I not accept it ha ha
can you then check is it possible to buy tickets on the train and if it costs more. Also I've checked again timetables of trains and they have changed it. The last train leaves barcelona at 19:30 which I would I have time to catch but it says it's full (tren completo) :(
now I'll see when I have buses from barcelona to pamplona and let you know. it's a bit hard to navigate through those sites as many don't have english translation :-/
Also how will I let you know which train or bus I got on and what time I should be in pamplona?!? here on this forum or???
thank you once again for your generous offer. we will stay in touch :)

At this time (Sanfermines) are very difficult to come to Pamplona for the amount of people who come here.
My mobile number is 695 171 786.
When you know the arrival time you call me. Ok?
To access the train ticket must be presented.
Un saludo.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Is that +31 695... I might use my phone number if I don't buy a Spanish one. Can I text you too on that number?!?
And thx for all the info. I'll let you know my travel details as soon as I know what bus I will take.
I can't believe it's just a week away :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Sorry. +34 695........
You can send messages for WhatsApp.

Hello Barbara.
If you have trouble booking a ticket on the bus, I can do it from Pamplona.
Do it as soon as possible, these days (Sanfermines) many people will be traveling.
Mikel.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
the festival has plenty of wonderful religious and family activities, as well as bull fights, during the day.

Your post reminded me another tip: avoid acts with presence of local politicians because you might find incidents. For example, 4 persons have been arrested for last years' incidents at the procesion of the Saint (they happened at the pass of some politicians of the city council accompanying the Saint in the procesion). Another example (this time in English): www.sanfermin.com/index.php/en/la-fiesta/riau-riau

The link you provided is in spanish and pdf so I can't translate it, but thx anyway.

I don't know of an English version of the guide but if you know Basque, I can link the Basque version.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I came to Los Arcos on my 5th day of the camino. So far so good.
I also wanted to thank my (first) angel on this camino Mikel Olivares :))))
I can not thank you enough for everything you've done for me. I enjoyed our time spent together and the walk we did. :) I we never forget what you did for me, picking me up at 4 in the morning in Pamplona and driving to SJPDP...all the advice...YOU ARE THE BEST!!!! :)
We will stay in touch my camino angel:)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This thread has been really enlightening. The questions, concerns, downplaying of risks by certain members and willingness to face the risks by the others. There is a certain spirit of walking the camino that i feel is lost on the minds seeking thrills and "fun". I agree that the problem of sexual assault ( which is almost always against women) is a big problem and should never be downplayed by anyone defending their town or country. One assault or theft or harassment is one too many. Statistics or not. Perhaps if the route can not be officially rerouted, all the pilgrims who care only for the spiritual can just agree to avoid places that foster an inhuman behavior ( or is it human, all too human ?) People have a right to know if there are certain risks involved in some events at some point on the camino, whether that question was directly asked or not. Blind nationalism and vain pride is of no use here. just my two cents.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.