• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pamplona during San Fermines, pros and cons?

camster

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés 2023
Hi, I've been thinking about crossing through Pamplona around July 6th-7th, right at the beginning of the running of the bulls. Is this a good idea from a pilgrim's perspective? I would like to experience the festivities, but at the same time, if too much of the city is closed off and you have to take detours, I wouldn't want to miss being able to sight-see a little.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We took a bus through there last summer during SF after the morning bull running. Town was bustling and we had a coffee amid the sea of white and red clothed festival goers. Spoke to a couple on our bus who had spent 2 nights and spent a lot of money, but they were not pilgrims. And they were on their way to enjoy San Sebastian (as were we). I think you should check. Not sure albergues will be open. If you want to enjoy the party and can afford it, make reservations to stay over. Otherwise, walk through after the bull running is over for the morning.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, I've been thinking about crossing through Pamplona around July 6th-7th, right at the beginning of the running of the bulls. Is this a good idea from a pilgrim's perspective? I would like to experience the festivities, but at the same time, if too much of the city is closed off and you have to take detours, I wouldn't want to miss being able to sight-see a little.
I was there last year, albeit not while doing the Camino. The city is only closed off for a very small period of time. In fact I was amazed how quickly it got back to normal. Of course there are crowds of people enjoying the food and wine post the run which you will enjoy if you join I am sure. I thought it was fantastic .

Ok, it isn't THAT bad. There are lots of family activities. We saw groups of 3 or 4 generations out walking and enjoying the day...it would take more time to walk through town and you may have to wait in a long line for dining, coffee, etc.
I found service very quick and very quick and easy to walk around.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You could avoid Pamplona totally during the Festival of San Fermin.

From the Pamplona airport walk southeast to Tiebas to join the Camino Aragones and perhaps stay in the Tiebas albergue. (This is their Gronze page). Reservations are accepted.

The hub of Tiebas is the bar/resto in the Centro Social de Tiebas, at # 34 Calle Mayor, tel +34 948 36 00 02

After Tiebas walk west on the CA paralleling route NA-601 to the splendid circular Romanesque church at Eunate where the albergue is now unfortunately closed and then 4km further to Puente la Reina/Gares to re-meet the Camino Frances.

Happy planning and Buen camino

The municipal albergue Jesús y Maria is closed during San Fermin, I do not know about the other albergues. Hotelprices go up to € 700,00 per night...
If you like the smell of beef on barbecues all day and night, if you like drunk people vomitting in the streets day and night, it should be a nice stay....
If not: keep away during San Fermin! I like Pamplona very much, because of the good food and the nice atmosphere, but I always avoid to be there during San Fermin.

I think only you can decide! Many people on here dislike it, probably the vast majority, which doesn’t surprise me, but a few of us. i am sure, love it. There’s crowds. partying, drinking in abundance, and just a wonderful camaraderie. It’s high octane so if you like that sort of thing then I think it’s worth getting involved. If you don’t stay well clear!

That said I didn’t see anyone be sick, no violence or even anti social behaviours. In my experience, Spain has a very gentle culture and they don’t really get ‘out of order’!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think only you can decide! Many people on here dislike it, probably the vast majority, which doesn’t surprise me, but a few of us. i am sure, love it. There’s crowds. partying, drinking in abundance, and just a wonderful camaraderie. It’s high octane so if you like that sort of thing then I think it’s worth getting involved. If you don’t stay well clear!

That said I didn’t see anyone be sick, no violence or even anti social behaviours. In my experience, Spain has a very gentle culture and they don’t really get ‘out of order’!
Possibly not the Spanish acting out. The festival draws people from all over the world.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Possibly not the Spanish acting out. The festival draws people from all over the world.
Yes it does, but (albeit my one and only two day visit), it still felt that Pampolian/Spanish culture/behaviour was ‘adhered to’ and to me it didn’t feel touristy at all. Certainly a big contrast with ‘La Tomatina’ the tomato throwing event just outside Valencia, which felt touristy. Just my view of course!

The municipal albergue Jesús y Maria is closed during San Fermin, I do not know about the other albergues. Hotelprices go up to € 700,00 per night...
If you like the smell of beef on barbecues all day and night, if you like drunk people vomitting in the streets day and night, it should be a nice stay....
If not: keep away during San Fermin! I like Pamplona very much, because of the good food and the nice atmosphere, but I always avoid to be there during San Fermin.
Thank you for this. Judging by other people's comments, I might choose to pass through the city 2-3 days prior.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We passed through during the San Fermines in 2016. We didn't try and find a place to sleep in Pamplona but rather stopped about 5 km before the town in Trinidad de Arres and then passed through early in the morning before the run (watching it on TV in the bar on the other side of Pamplona where we stopped for breakfast). It is definitely a very festive time, although we didn't really participate in the festivities (my own experience running in the encierro was many decades ago, about a year before my first Camino).

The risk of pickpockets is definitely higher in Pamplona during that week, for what it's worth.

I can't imagine a worse possible time for a pilgrim to pass through the wonderful city of Pamplona than during the infamous San Fermines!

I actually really enjoyed walking through the streets of Pamplona during San Fermines. It was so fun seeing all the locals dressed in white and red, along with parades, music, etc. We did not stay in Pamplona, rather we had reservations in Cizur Menor, but some pilgrims that I met got beds at Casa Paderborn.

Do plan to spend quite a bit more time getting through the city than you would otherwise.

If you don't like crowds you should avoid it, and if you are going this year it will be hard to or very expensive to find a place to stay, unless you can get into Casa Paderborn. Some albergues are closed during this time, or very expensive.

Pamplona.jpg

After reaching SDC in early July, 2016, I trained back to Pamplona for the festival. Stayed 5 days--the best rate I could find was about $300 a night, and that was with booking six months in advance. If you are a Pilgrim, it will be a pain in the butt from about 7:00 until 9:00. The running of the bulls part of the festival starts at 8:00 am (although people congregate on the course starting at 7:00) and is over in less than five minutes. The route is 800ms right through the heart of the old town. I ran on two days--although at 69 back then, there wasn't much speed. One is more likely to get injured by a 22 year old Australian who has been drinking all night, than being gored by a bull. There's a bit of a break after the run, and as mentioned previously, the businesses along the route are up and running within minutes after the run ends. Then, by the afternoon, the partying starts and by evening it is wild and wooly. It must be one of the last permitted events in the civilized world where public participants are put in such a dangerous situation, and injuries are guaranteed--there are medical personnel stationed all along the route. As to waking through Pamplona during that week (July 6-14), if you arrive after 9:00, there will not be partying throngs, and the Way will be unimpeded. On the other hand, if you get there before 8:00 am and you'll be in the mix, you'll get a glimpse of the actual running of the bulls.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The route is 800 kms right through the heart of the old town.
I think you might have an extra "k" in there. I know there are a few twists and turns, but not enough to fit an 800 km route in Pamplona. And even if they did, no one would have the time nor endurance to run it each morning.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I got there after 9:00 am and the streets were packed. But it was fun!

View attachment 144876
That looks like Calle Estafeta (the last strait away before the Arena) which runs parallel to Plaza del Castillo. The Camino runs along Calle Mayor by the Ayunamiento a block or so north of Plaza del Castillo, shown on your first photo. I seem to remember the section of the Camino passing the Ayuntamiento was not packed like the area nearer the Plaza.

Last edited:
In 1973, I was hitchhiking around Spain and stopped in Pamplona for San Fermin. Even then, it was completely insane and I can only imagine it is far worse now, with hoards of people. When I was there, everybody, including the Guardia Civil was drunk. I was young and cute in those days (that was a LONG time ago) and gangs of young guys would see me and shout, "There's one! There's a girl!" and they would give chase. I ended up going to the bullfight, because it was the only safe place to be. As a pilgrim, my guess is that it would be a nightmare. Good to hear that you had fun, though, Trecile!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In 1973, I was hitchhiking around Spain and stopped in Pamplona for San Fermin. Even then, it was completely insane and I can only imagine it is far worse now, with hoards of people. When I was there, everybody, including the Guardia Civil was drunk. I was young and cute in those days (that was a LONG time ago) and gangs of young guys would see me and shout, "There's one! There's a girl!" and they would give chase. I ended up going to the bullfight, because it was the only safe place to be. As a pilgrim, my guess is that it would be a nightmare. Good to hear that you had fun, though, Trecile!
I just realized that that was FIFTY YEARS AGO.

Crossing through Pamplona...
Hmm. It is not something I would recommend on those dates.
I have a fair amount of experience of being in the city at those dates, though as a guest, not as a pilgrim.
Put all the above comments into a sieve and make up your own mind.
Ask the people in the albergues, I mean the locals, in the days before you are due to reach Pamplona.
It could be prohibitively costly, financially. The best idea perhaps that you have already received is to sleep in Trinidad de Arre the previous evening, and that would give you just about 5km to reach Pamplona so you could be there early enough in the morning to pass through during the day, savouring the sights that you have researched, and then continue at least to Uterga - but book ahead, do book ahead! There are two albergues there at least, the one I know is on the left as you go into Uterga, and was perfectly adequate. Bed, laundry, food. If needed, there is another in Muruzabal, and I think it has a pool 😁 and the following morning you could detour to Eunate - not really a detour, but it offers a chance to visit a most beautiful octagonal church. Our Lady of Eunate. From there, do not retrace your steps, follow the remaining few kilometres on the route to Puente La Reina. Do let us all know how it turns out for you. 👣

I can't imagine a worse possible time for a pilgrim to pass through the wonderful city of Pamplona than during the infamous San Fermines! Curse you, Ernest Hemingway!
I imagine that the encierro in Pamplona back in Hemingway's time there looked a bit like the one you can experience a few days each year in Sahagún halfway along the Camino Francés when they celebrate their saint's day for San Juan de Sahagún on or near June 12th.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
the one you can experience a few days each year in Sahagún halfway along the Camino Francés when they celebrate their saint's day for San Juan de Sahagún on or near June 12th!
The Sanfermines long ago lost its authentic Spanish cultural identity, its local meaning and value -- the things Hemingway saw and enjoyed back in the 1920s.... Its become a kind of 21st C global "Frat Party." Mobs of intoxicated youths, noise, chaos, crime, outrageous costs -- and if you're naïve enough to ask anyone who San Fermin actually was, or what his festival actually celebrates, they'll look at you as if there were lobsters coming out of your ears!

But -- there are, as you point out, Rick, other "livestock events" in other places along the Way, which have not been debased. (Viana, for example.) Where might we find a list of their dates -- for walk planning purposes? Can anyone help with that?

Last edited:
I walked through in the early morning a few years ago. The smell of stale urine was revolting. Never again.

Thank you for this. Judging by other people's comments, I might choose to pass through the city 2-3 days prior.
I think you just need to go with what you like. Remember it is a much older demographic on here and a quick look at posts on many threads shows that many don’t like crowds and noise, and would rather spend time looking at a church than partying in Pamplona. Nothing wrong with that of course, each to their own, and if that’s you then heed that advice, but older Americans disapproving of the behaviour of younger Europeans is not a revelation!!! I loved it as did my friend who flew over and I saw no examples of bad behaviour’.

For me to be so close to a major festival and not attend is a non runner but I suffer from extreme FOMO!

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you decide to walk the (very wonderful) Camino Aragonés, there is an albergue in Tiebas, which is 14 km south of Pamplona with frequent buses in and out. When I walked through there several years ago, the hospitalero told me that he was happy to let pereginos spend a couple of nights in the albergue. That way you could take the bus in and escape back to normalcy whenever you wanted.

I have mentioned this before on the forum, but am not sure if anyone has ever tried it.

Last edited by a moderator:
My view is that this is a bad time. There will be NO accommodation, unless you book six months in advance, and you will have to pay three times as much as usual. You could sleep in the parks, as many do. It can be dangerous at this time - robbery, sexual assaults etc. There will be half a million drunks.

I’m in Pamplona on the 4th July and continue the next morning. What time do they start the bull running in the morning or should i plan to leave the Albergue Plaza Catedral early in the morning Before the rowds start to form?

My view is that this is a bad time. There will be NO accommodation, unless you book six months in advance, and you will have to pay three times as much as usual. You could sleep in the parks, as many do. It can be dangerous at this time - robbery, sexual assaults etc. There will be half a million drunks.
You would need to check that. I booked two weeks before and we got a double room for £35 per person, per night. Accommodation seemed much cheaper towards the end of the festival than the beginning last year.

I’m in Pamplona on the 4th July and continue the next morning. What time do they start the bull running in the morning or should i plan to leave the Albergue Plaza Catedral early in the morning Before the rowds start to form?
I think the run starts at 0830 and starts to get busy a few hours before.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
San Fermín doesn't start until the 6th at noon, so you'll be fine.

I’ve walked through before and are doing it again this year. The running is over by the time we get there from Zubiri. There is carnage everywhere but colour and vibrancy Make it an exciting walk through. We have booked two nights at Puente La Reina so once in the city, like last time, we’ll grab a taxi to our accommodation and then a taxi back in the morning to continue our walk. The prices for accommodation are astronomical in Pamplona itself. Happy planning.

But -- there are, as you point out, Rick, other "livestock events" in other places along the Way, which have not been debased. (Viana, for example.) Where might we find a list of their dates -- for walk planning purposes? Can anyone help with that?

Wikipedia had the following piece of further reading.

Hillmann, Bill (2021). The Pueblos: My Quest to Run 101 Bull Runs in the Small Towns of Spain. Chicago, Illinois: Tortoise Books. ISBN 978-1-9489-5417-4.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Camster... following along here! I asked a similar question a while back as this will be my first Camino and also have little choice date-wise but to walk thru Pamplona during the festival. I had some good advice, similar to above - such as waiting to walk through until the streets are cleared. Someone else shared photos and fond memories of the lively daytime festival/family friendly atmosphere, which I found really helpful. As long as we can still find the arrows, I'm hoping this will be fun!

We plan to stay in Arre the night before (booked ahead), and maybe being a Monday morning will be in our favour. It'll make for a long day if we are to get to Puenta la Reina, so we have ruled out Pamplona sightseeing on this trip, and will keep the taxi idea mentioned above in mind. We would stop before but accomm seems to be in sort supply any closer.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
After reaching SDC in early July, 2016, I trained back to Pamplona for the festival. Stayed 5 days--the best rate I could find was about $300 a night, and that was with booking six months in advance. If you are a Pilgrim, it will be a pain in the butt from about 7:00 until 9:00. The running of the bulls part of the festival starts at 8:00 am (although people congregate on the course starting at 7:00) and is over in less than five minutes. The route is 800ms right through the heart of the old town. I ran on two days--although at 69 back then, there wasn't much speed. One is more likely to get injured by a 22 year old Australian who has been drinking all night, than being gored by a bull. There's a bit of a break after the run, and as mentioned previously, the businesses along the route are up and running within minutes after the run ends. Then, by the afternoon, the partying starts and by evening it is wild and wooly. It must be one of the last permitted events in the civilized world where public participants are put in such a dangerous situation, and injuries are guaranteed--there are medical personnel stationed all along the route. As to waking through Pamplona during that week (July 6-14), if you arrive after 9:00, there will not be partying throngs, and the Way will be unimpeded. On the other hand, if you get there before 8:00 am and you'll be in the mix, you'll get a glimpse of the actual running of the bulls.
Thank you for the valuable info!

Crossing through Pamplona...
Hmm. It is not something I would recommend on those dates.
I have a fair amount of experience of being in the city at those dates, though as a guest, not as a pilgrim.
Put all the above comments into a sieve and make up your own mind.
Ask the people in the albergues, I mean the locals, in the days before you are due to reach Pamplona.
It could be prohibitively costly, financially. The best idea perhaps that you have already received is to sleep in Trinidad de Arre the previous evening, and that would give you just about 5km to reach Pamplona so you could be there early enough in the morning to pass through during the day, savouring the sights that you have researched, and then continue at least to Uterga - but book ahead, do book ahead! There are two albergues there at least, the one I know is on the left as you go into Uterga, and was perfectly adequate. Bed, laundry, food. If needed, there is another in Muruzabal, and I think it has a pool 😁 and the following morning you could detour to Eunate - not really a detour, but it offers a chance to visit a most beautiful octagonal church. Our Lady of Eunate. From there, do not retrace your steps, follow the remaining few kilometres on the route to Puente La Reina. Do let us all know how it turns out for you. 👣
I took note of the albergues you suggested! :) thank you, and yes, I will let you know how it all goes!

Hi Camster... following along here! I asked a similar question a while back as this will be my first Camino and also have little choice date-wise but to walk thru Pamplona during the festival. I had some good advice, similar to above - such as waiting to walk through until the streets are cleared. Someone else shared photos and fond memories of the lively daytime festival/family friendly atmosphere, which I found really helpful. As long as we can still find the arrows, I'm hoping this will be fun!

We plan to stay in Arre the night before (booked ahead), and maybe being a Monday morning will be in our favour. It'll make for a long day if we are to get to Puenta la Reina, so we have ruled out Pamplona sightseeing on this trip, and will keep the taxi idea mentioned above in mind. We would stop before but accomm seems to be in sort supply any closer.
Thank you for your input! I will keep it in mind. I'll be thinking of you in Pamplona as we both will be there around the same time! :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
[[Remember it is a much older demographic on here...older Americans...
Hey, I resemble that remark! :) For the record, I don't disapprove of young Europeans... I sometimes with young Americans were more like them. And yes, I don't enjoy huge, commercialized "fiestas" while walking the Camino. Especially ones where people mix wine with Coca Cola and piss and vomit in the street. Happening into unexpected local celebrations in small villages have been wonderful and memorable, however. But not the ones I came across where they release young bulls into the plaza for people to chase and torture. I root for the bulls.

I am so familiar with Pamplona, from a perspective of being a regular visitor, that it is hard to focus on the precise question you actually asked.
Maybe the best thing I can say is: it is a great little city to wander in.
You have a fine exhibition in the Cathedral.
El Corte Ingles is airconditioned.
You have an independent outdoor shop with all things Camino, in fact more than one - Caminoteca and Muga, not to mention the recent addition of a small Decathlon.
You have the option of sitting and looking around you in the Plaza del Castillo, capturing your photos of the famous Hemingway... and the style of the locals.
During the dates you have available, you have already received and responded to suggestions, and I hope you will not be disappointed.
In addition to other suggestions, this one could work - https://www.alberguescaminosantiago...-peregrinos-de-la-orden-de-malta-cizur-menor/
To the best of my knowledge it is still open. It is about 5km beyond Pamplona, but I doubt you can reserve.
Whatever happens, without being trite - you will get what is meant for you.
As others have said - yes, trust in whomsoever you wish, but don't forget to tie the reins of the camel tight to your ankle! I am not quoting verbatim, but you can picture it!
Also, as many others have said: this is not the desert. you are just a phone call away from a taxi or a bus ride to help you if there is an emergency.
Additionally, 8km before Pamplona, Zabaldika has a donativo - you need to be sharpish to get there - no booking, and only 18 beds.
In Huarte, if you follow the river route from the area de descanso instead of climbing to reach the path to Trinidad de Arre, there is also an albergue. Don't worry - it will be ok, just keep the reins of the camel within a tug's reach. 😈

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I can't remember exact dates, but there were a bunch of festivals late Aug-Sept all along the Camino, especially in Navarre. I kept ending up at them as I was walking. Obanos, Puente de la Reina, Cizur Menor, etc. Some of the guidebooks list festival dates.

The city is packed
The bull run is over by 9am
Stay just before or past
It goes for 7 days
The last day " family day " is great , music and bands in the alley ways
Don't count on walking too far the next day

Having been in Pamplona during San Fermin I can say the pros are it's a blast, crazy colorful vibrant spectacle. Lots of good booze and food and partying and running alongside bovines like I read about in college when we covered Hemingway. Oh wait, I did that many years ago as a piss and vinegar filled young lad, no Camino involved. :D
As a pilgrim now I would approach it much differently but secretly wishing I was young again and there to party, forget the Camino lol. After all, the spirit is willing, but the body is weak. ;)

Are we permitted to refer to ‘livestock events’ now? It might be a slippery and very steep slope if we are, as I find ‘livestock events’ abhorrent.
I believe that would be referring to bullfighting in particular, not the San Fermin as a whole as it encompasses more than just the bull run and bull fighting every afternoon.
Bit of a stretch but good job sneaking in your opinion and disdain for livestock events. Props to you. 😉

Are we permitted to refer to ‘livestock events’ now? It might be a slippery and very steep slope if we are, as I find ‘livestock events’ abhorrent.

Henry , the lass asked what the atmosphere was like , she has received positive vibes ....yours included.
I'm never going to visit a country and judge mate .....not on something that has been going on for 600 yrs.
On Family Day , those kids we see in prams and carried on shoulders in the square , they will continue this festival when their time arrives.

I'm sure the young ones today in Australia have no idea that our greatest treasure died last night.
If we all google Dame Edna / Barry H then we will laugh & the world will be a better place.
OMG She / He has said some ????????????? things .....thats why she's adored world wide.

Let the festivity's conclude that day in Pamplona as they commence in France celebrating Bastille Day .

Last edited:
Henry , the lass asked what the atmosphere was like , she has received positive vibes ....you included.
I'm never going to visit a country and judge mate ...........not something that has been going on for 600 yrs.
And on Family Day , those kids we see in prams and carried on shoulders in the square , will continue this festival when their time arrives.

I'm sure the young ones today in Australia have no idea that our greatest treasure died last night.
If we all google Dame Edna / Barry H then you will laugh & world will be a better place.
OMG She / He has said someone ????????????? things .....thats why she's adored world wide.
RIP Dame Edna/ Barry. Much loved here in UK and getting huge media coverage.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola! The City of Pamplona during San Fermin is complicated because the municipal albergue is closed. The Catedral does not host pilgrims during las Fiestas de San Fermin usually around July 4th. We walked around the city of Pamplona to Cizur Menor. In Cizur Menor, we stayed at a wonderful private albergue with a hostess that keeps pet turtles. I don’t recall her name or the name of the albergue, I remember clearly because she was a wonderful person and very knowledgeable on the Camino. Alternatively, you may attempt to find accommodations at one of many hotels in Pamplona. As you can imagine, lodging is very expensive during this time. The best part of walking past Pamplona is that you are approaching el Monte del Perdon just beyond Cizur Menor. During July there are fields of sunflowers on the east side of Monte del Perdon. The crops rotate from year to year so there is no guarantee of Sunflowers 🌻. I do caution you to be attentive descending Monte del Perdon. It’s a modestly steep descent and you want to ensure proper footing to prevent injuries. This is not the time to be distracted. I hope this helps you. Please keep us posted on what you decide to do.
Buen Camino!

Attachments

• 7E8704E6-C2B9-4733-8013-0EE8BA14F3DB.jpeg
    7E8704E6-C2B9-4733-8013-0EE8BA14F3DB.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
A selection of Camino Jewellery
We walked around the city of Pamplona to Cizur Menor. In Cizur Menor, we stayed at a wonderful private albergue with a hostess that keeps pet turtles.
If it was Albergue Maribel Roncal, unfortunately it is now closed.
There is still the Albergue de la Orden de Malta in Cizur Menor.

If it was Albergue Maribel Roncal, unfortunately it is now closed.
There is still the Albergue de la Orden de Malta in Cizur Menor.

Thank you for the update! I pray Mrs Roncal is well. A wonderful person. She helped us so much!

Judging by other people's comments, I might choose to pass through the city 2-3 days prior.
You can have a look at what is on the program of the San Fermin festival on the websites of the city of Pamplona (see link for English version).

One could sometimes think that it is called the Bull Run festival 😅, founded by E. Hemingway, but the name San Fermin festival is a giveaway and pilgrims, of all people, will of course know that it is one of the hundreds of festivals in Spain and elsewhere in Europe that has its origin in the Middle Ages and in the devotion to a regional saint or a local saint. The religious festivities were soon accompanied by fairs and markets and general merrymaking and the tradition is still alive, obviously having gone through changes since then.

Bulls and running and toreros are of no or very little concern to the Camino pilgrim. The bull ring is not on the Camino, you won't even see the building when you walk through Pamplona. The bulls' short stampede (over a short distance of less than a 1 km) lasts from 8:00 to about 8:03 in the morning; the track coincides with the Camino Frances for a grand total of about 100 m. If you arrive or walk through Pamplona during the afternoon, as many pilgrims do, you won't see it. If you stay in Pamplona for the night and set out by 8 am or earlier you take one look at the map and will know how to avoid the street closure.

You could get a local or regional newspaper and have a look at the full festival program; it is also online.

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back