• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cluny to Le Puy en Velay (and onward)

gypsy9

Bonjour!
As the title suggests, this is my plan for early July/late June. If you have walked this way, would you recommend the orange guidebook put out by CSJ? It is in English (important for me) and seems from the website to be comprehensive. It is called, The Lightfoot guide to the Via Podiensis. I am pretty sure this includes the Way from Cluney.

I have the standard queries:

Is this section from Cluny well waymarked? (part of GR, so I assume, oui)
Is it possible to stay in The Abbey of Cluny as a pilgrim?
Is accommodation mostly in gites (I hope so) on this particular section (from Cluny to Le Puy en Velay?).
Is it necessary to book ahead or is this Way quieter....or perhaps this time may be popular for tourists/French ramblers...

Thank you for taking the time to answer these queries
Bon Chemin!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Last edited:
Thanks for the links.

I am hoping to find a blog that is very current as I am sure there have been changes in the last few years. The orange CSJ seems a must!
Regarding the Abbey...
Disheartening that such a beautiful, holy and historic building was torn down.

No lodgings here, as I can understand from the website.
I am thinking the grounds of Cluny must be rather special if this was the chosen site all those centuries ago to be the "mother-house"...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just because a route is GR does not mean there are frequent or well-maintained waymarks. A map or gps will still be very useful.
Is accommodation mostly in gites (I hope so) on this particular section (from Cluny to Le Puy en Velay?).
The Amis guide gives current lodging information
http://chemins.amis-st-jacques.org/?page_id=6
Is it necessary to book ahead or is this Way quieter....or perhaps this time may be popular for tourists/French ramblers...
This section is much quieter overall; the French school holidays begin with Bastille Day and you can expect lodging competition from tourists from then onwards.

I've actually done this walk, back in '95 or so, and it is a very well waymarked and really not very difficult GR.

No, it's a ruin, as the Abbey was closed under the French Revolution, and in one of the worst acts of anti-religious architectural vandalism that they came up with, they demolished what was one of the three largest church buildings in the world, and used it for construction materials.

Yes, it would be, though there should also be campsites (I was sleeping rough when I did it)

I'd book ahead if I were you, regardless of how many ramblers you'll find (and you shouldn't expect to meet even one other pilgrim 'til you reach Le Puy), as the gîtes could fill quite independently of how many are on the hiking trail.

Bonjour!
As the title suggests, this is my plan for early July/late June. If you have walked this way, would you recommend the orange guidebook put out by CSJ? It is in English (important for me) and seems from the website to be comprehensive. It is called, The Lightfoot guide to the Via Podiensis. I am pretty sure this includes the Way from Cluney.

Bon Chemin!!

Hi Gypsey9

I am also planning to walk from Cluny to Le Puy also in the middle of this year so I am very interested and if you could share any info you have researched , I would greatly appreciate it.

So far I am getting a friend to buy the Orange Guide Book from the tourism Office in Cluny- it will be in French which is fine as I can read a little French. But they will check if its available in English.

I am wondering if there is a credencial available for this route?

How many stages are you planning to make it in? Do you enjoy the long km days?

Cheers
Susie
Thanks for the links.

I am hoping to find a blog that is very current as I am sure there have been changes in the last few years. The orange CSJ seems a must!
Regarding the Abbey...
Disheartening that such a beautiful, holy and historic building was torn down.

No lodgings here, as I can understand from the website.
I am thinking the grounds of Cluny must be rather special if this was the chosen site all those centuries ago to be the "mother-house"...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Can anyone help I am trying to obtain the Camina Guide for Cluny to Le Puy but it seems out of stock from their website and I have had no reply from them when I sent them a message on their website.

Bonjour!

Bon Chemin!!

Hi
I am currently walking the Cluny Camino.
These are my impressions so far.
No you cannot stay at the Abbaye in Cluny. It is a ruin.
The Orange book can be helpful and bought at the tourism office. Do not rely totally on this information it is already incorrect in parts.
By your Credentula before Cluny if you can. We did manage to get one after alot of ringing around and waiting.
If walking to Cenves on the 1st day buy food in Tramayes as restaurant probably will be closed and Gite offers no food at all.
Yes you need to book at least 1 to 2 days ahead. Ask if food is readily available nearby and actual location. You could be klms away from the village.
This Camino is not like the camino Francis at all. Boulangeries are a god send buy lunch/sandwiches.
Most Camino signs are quite small look on upper right hand corner on GR(RED/WHITE)
Be vigilant as the direction can change quite suddenly.
Good luck Bon Journey

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you for replying...changes in Camino plans! (yes, this happens). Lourdes early August to SJPP and then Camino del Norte from Irun...(this too may change, but I now have the del Norte guidebook)>

I would definitely still love to visit Cluny and surrounds...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back