• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coastal route hotels

Dwayne Schulz

Time of past OR future Camino
" Porto to Santiago " proposed for May 2017
We are starting the coastal route from Porto in the middle of May. We will be wanting hotels or other accommodation with a private bathroom. Does anyone have a list of this type of accommodation?
Thanks in advance

Dwayne

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hey Dwayne, I do not have a list, but walked that route last May, into early June. We had no issues finding a hotel when we wanted one.

I did the Coastal Route from Porto last July using hotels, both large and small. I have to run out the door, but I will send you my list tomorrow.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'll do the same, perhaps others will jump in with their info too. We can then create a list?

Hola - greetings from Viana do Costelo. I started out from Oporto last Sunday. I've walked this route before. This time there are many more pilgrims - today at least 40 walked from Esposende. The stages Matosinhos, Vila do Conde, Pavoa de Varzim, Esposende etc are all villages or small towns frequented by Spanish and Portuguése holidaymakers. All hostel and hotel accommodation is on booking.com - I'd advise you to book sooner rather than later.

Buen Camino

John

Wow 40 pilgrims! We didn't see half that many people the entire time until the coastal route joined the interior.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wow 40 pilgrims! We didn't see half that many people the entire time until the coastal route joined the interior.

I had the same experience in September.

Here's my list:
Porto; Porto Suites do Marque
Vila do Conde; Erva Doce Guest House
Esposende; Hotel Suave Mar
Viana do Castelo; Hotel Rali
Caminha; Hotel Wine & Design
Mougas; Albergue Turistico Aguncheiro
Ramallosa; El Pazo Pias
Vigo; Kaps Hostel
Redondela; Albergue A Casa da Herba
Pontevedra; Hotel Avenida
Caldas de Reis; Hotel Balneario Acuna
Lugar de A Esclavitude; Casa Grande de Capellania
Santiago; Hotel Rua Villar

We have places we definitely enjoyed and would return, and places that we definitely won't. I've been on this forum too long to offer my opinion of local establishments here, but would be happy to share via the "conversation" feature on this forum if you want.

I had the same experience in September.
No kidding?! We didn't see another pilgrim or even got a "Bom Caminho" until lunch on our first day. We saw the same 10 people for days. There were only 12 of us bunched up waiting for the ferry crossing at Caminha in the late morning. We didn't see most of them again after that crossing. We stopped for breakfast in A Guard, and they all moved on. Even the albergues were empty. We met one guy who said he was the only pilgrim at many of the albergues he stayed at.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I understand. I've walked this route three times a now with more pilgrims each time. Yesterday in the Church of Santiago I counted 32 names in the visitors' book for the day with more pilgrims coming up the hill after me!

I understand. I've walked this route three times a now with more pilgrims each time. Yesterday in the Church of Santiago I counted 32 names in the visitors' book for the day with more pilgrims coming up the hill after me!

That is quite a change. Last summer between Matosinhos and Redondela, I probably saw 10 others the whole way. That is quite an increase, although it is a very nice route and fits nicely with those that cannot afford 6-7 weeks to walk the CF or other longer routes.

I started in Matosinhos, so here is my list of hotels:

Povoa de Varzim - Grande Hotel Povoa
Esposende - Suave Mar
Viana do Castelo - Pension O Laranjeira
Vila Praia de Ancora - Hotel Meira
A Guarda - Vila da Guarda
Oia - Casa Puertas
Baiona - Anunciada Baiona
Vigo - Hotel Compostela Vigo
Redondela - Hotel Santa Apostolo (4km past Redondela)
Pontevedra - Hotel Ruas
Caldas de Reis - O Cruceiro Centre
Padron - Rosalia Padron
SdC - Hospederia San Martin Pinario

All of the above were quite acceptable. I hope this helps. Buen Camino!

That is quite a change. Last summer between Matosinhos and Redondela, I probably saw 10 others the whole way. That is quite an increase, although it is a very nice route and fits nicely with those that cannot afford 6-7 weeks to walk the CF or other longer routes.

I started in Matosinhos, so here is my list of hotels:

Povoa de Varzim - Grande Hotel Povoa
Esposende - Suave Mar
Viana do Castelo - Pension O Laranjeira
Vila Praia de Ancora - Hotel Meira
A Guarda - Vila da Guarda
Oia - Casa Puertas
Baiona - Anunciada Baiona
Vigo - Hotel Compostela Vigo
Redondela - Hotel Santa Apostolo (4km past Redondela)
Pontevedra - Hotel Ruas
Caldas de Reis - O Cruceiro Centre
Padron - Rosalia Padron
SdC - Hospederia San Martin Pinario

All of the above were quite acceptable. I hope this helps. Buen Camino!

I know all of those hotels well and have stayed at many quite a few times so they are reliable except Hotel Rosalia, that's the only one I would change !

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I know all of those hotels well and have stayed at many quite a few times so they are reliable except Hotel Rosalia, that's the only one I would change !
Oh boy! I have a rez at that place June 11th. Care to elaborate?

Oh boy! I have a rez at that place June 11th. Care to elaborate?

My bed had bedbugs and second time I stayed there they hadn't cleaned the room at all before occupation...food was not good...reception do their best...but owners have seen better days...great location next to Rosalia de Castro Museum but there are better places to stay in Padron

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My bed had bedbugs and second time I stayed there they hadn't cleaned the room at all before occupation...food was not good...reception do their best...but owners have seen better days...great location next to Rosalia de Castro Museum but there are better places to stay in Padron

Sounds like you have not had good experiences there. I have stayed there twice as well (in 2013 & 2016) and it was not spectacular but quite acceptable both times. Funnily enough, before I saw your comment, I was going to say that the one drawback was the location. It is a about a 15 minute walk outside the heart of Padron.

Sounds like you have not had good experiences there. I have stayed there twice as well (in 2013 & 2016) and it was not spectacular but quite acceptable both times. Funnily enough, before I saw your comment, I was going to say that the one drawback was the location. It is a about a 15 minute walk outside the heart of Padron.

Yes I know what you mean your right...it's great if you want to visit the Museum next door..or take a short-cut next morning parallel to the railway line back onto the Camino..otherwise yes better to stay nearer the centre...I fear this place has gone downhill...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Last edited:
I understand. I've walked this route three times a now with more pilgrims each time. Yesterday in the Church of Santiago I counted 32 names in the visitors' book for the day with more pilgrims coming up the hill after me![/QUOTE
Hi planning to start from Porto late Sept early Oct. Will higher pilgrim numbers affect possibility of Albergue accomodation along mostly the central route.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back