• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coastal route in August!

angeliki louk

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2014 camino Frances.
June 2015 Camino north
Camino primitivo
Hello everyone! So I have the guide of Brierley s but we decided to walk the coastal route... where can I find the stages??? My husband has already downloaded something but is there a written guide??

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello everyone! So I have the guide of Brierley s but we decided to walk the coastal route... where can I find the stages??? My husband has already downloaded something but is there a written guide??
The coastal route is in the guide as well. I completed the coastal last year using the book

The coastal route is in the guide as well. I completed the coastal last year using the book
But I don’t understand....I keep searching in the book and I don’t see the coastal route except the first day from Porto to vila do conde...and maybe the next stage...I am a bit confused....maybe I have the old guide?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
A selection of Camino Jewellery
But I don’t understand....I keep searching in the book and I don’t see the coastal route except the first day from Porto to vila do conde...and maybe the next stage...I am a bit confused....maybe I have the old guide?
Ok I just saw that I have an old edition.

"Thank so much! I see two guides which one would you suggest? "

I will probably take the new Wise Pilgrim guide in late August on the Litoral way in late August. The Portuguese caminos are truly confusing.
The Litoral route stays close to the sea and shares some of the route with the Coastal. The traditional Coastal Route isn't always on the seaside...the Litoral Route is. The Coastal Route is more defined and better marked...but the popularity of the routes in Portugal have made route marking much better.

There are three very good guides:
1. The Camino Portugues by @Wise Pilgrim. The author Michael is active on the forum and will answer questions.
2. The Confraternity of Saint James excellent Camino Portugues, 2017. Part 2 .... by Johnnie Walker who is also an active forum member.
3. Brierley's guide

Both the CSJ Guide and the Wise Pilgrim guide are very good. I have walked the Litoral/Coastal Routes and can attest that both guides will be of interest to you along the way. Both have accomodation suggestions and help in negotiating the sometimes confusing multitudes of painted arrows.

The real bottom line is that you really do not need a guide to insure you will stay on track.
You simply walk north with the sea on your left.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I bought my guide December 2017. You have to go near the back of the guide book and the maps are there. You can also email John Breierly and he will reply. I lent my book out or i would tell you the page that the coastal starts on

I bought my guide December 2017. You have to go near the back of the guide book and the maps are there.

Hi Cila, Angeliki has an old version of Brierley, and she will most definitely not find the Coastal Route anywhere in it. The Coastal Route appeared in Brierley for the first time in the 2018 edition, which came out in September 2017. I hope that explains things ;).

Jill

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Does anyone know of an interactive app that works well for this route? I was initially going to do Camino Frances and purchased Brierley's guidebook for that, but now that I'm in Europe have decided to do the Camino Portugues (so don't have option of having something I purchase shipped to me). I did check out the maps and website Mark mentioned above (thanks for that!) but it's a bit overwhelming.

Does anyone know of an interactive app that works well for this route? I was initially going to do Camino Frances and purchased Brierley's guidebook for that, but now that I'm in Europe have decided to do the Camino Portugues (so don't have option of having something I purchase shipped to me). I did check out the maps and website Mark mentioned above (thanks for that!) but it's a bit overwhelming.

We used both Luis Freixo’s superb maps and the maps.me app.
Once you have maps.me you can download the route from this website.
Never will you feel uncomfortably misplaced ever again!
Bom Caminho!

I walked the Portugues last year and had the Wise pilgrim app on my iPhone and it was GREAT!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We used both Luis Freixo’s superb maps and the maps.me app.
Once you have maps.me you can download the route from this website.
Never will you feel uncomfortably misplaced ever again!
Bom Caminho!

Very helpful!! Thank you so much!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
When will you start walking? We will also be there in August and plan to start from Porto on augst 11th. We fondly (well mostly fondly) refer to John Brierley as "Drunken" Brierley. We have had occasion to wonder if he has actually walked the route given some of the instructions and descriptions we have found in his other publications. The Portugues Brierley guide is a bit of a challenge to wade through but after the first stage you need to jump to page 204 for the coastal route.

When will you start walking? We will also be there in August and plan to start from Porto on augst 11th. We fondly (well mostly fondly) refer to John Brierley as "Drunken" Brierley. We have had occasion to wonder if he has actually walked the route given some of the instructions and descriptions we have found in his other publications. The Portugues Brierley guide is a bit of a challenge to wade through but after the first stage you need to jump to page 204 for the coastal route.
Hello! We will start on the 1st and decided to walk the inner route!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I will be walking the coastal route from Porto to Caminha and then crossing over to Valença to do the central route and then continue on to the espiritual route. I am looking for sauna’s...
We would like to go up to Monte Santa Tregla to see the archiological site, church and view but I do not want to add the 7.2 rt KM to our day (and especially walk the downhill). Does anyone have...
Have just finished my first Camino from Porto (via A Guarda). Happy to answer any questions.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back