• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Large increase in numbers walking the Coastal route

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
An article from La Voz de Galicia notes that so far this year numbers walking the Portugues coastal route are up by 75% on the same period in 2022. Numbers on the traditional inland route have dropped by about 2%. The article also notes that the proportion of foreign pilgrims opting for the coastal route is significantly higher.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
An article from La Voz de Galicia notes that so far this year numbers walking the Portugues coastal route are up by 75% on the same period in 2022. Numbers on the traditional inland route have dropped by about 2%. The article also notes that the proportion of foreign pilgrims opting for the coastal route is significantly higher.

I wonder if it is because of rising temperatures and pilgrims hoping walking on the coast will keep temps relatively cooler. I will probably do the coastal route for the third part of my three camino walk starting in late September. I should be in Porto the last week of October. I would think it will be pretty quiet then.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks for the information. I'll start Coastal in mid-September. Hope the situation is better by then. I'll try to book the accommodation in advance (but how early should I book?) as much as possible. though it will reduce the joy of walking Camino greatly.

I met a few pilgrims who gave up on the coastal route and switched to the frances because they were tired of the bed race
During the busy season, there's a lot more reservation on the Coastal than elsewhere, however last Autumn I did end up sleeping in a few Albergues that were either fully booked or are nearly always so, just from turning up and some people cancelling, or being lucky on that particular day in places that usually have zero beds available (that happened half a dozen times).

More often I would get in simply because my bad knees at that particular period of my last Camino, combined with the heat, were leading me to stop early, so that I was getting into places with few beds available, which was the norm for most Albergues -- there are very many with only a small number of beds.

The one really bad spot was Redondela, where the huge numbers from Vigo and the Central combined to make everywhere 100% bang full, dozens of pilgrims preparing to sleep outside or getting taxis ; but even there, my ginormous credencial + inflatable mattress led to my getting a spot on the floor at the Parroquial by exception to normal rules in that place, where I slept very well, good shower, and machine wash for dirty clothes.

I slept in the garden of one Albergue at Caminha, outdoors a few times, in the street in the rain at Porto.

So ? I survived ... An inflatable mattress is good weight to carry (though sadly mine deflated at some point after leaving Santiago, so it just became a sleeping mat on the Francès, but I'm definitely getting a new one for my next pilgrimage ...).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Interesting discussion. Thanks for posting! I'm currently planning a Portuguese Camino for June 2024. I've gone back and forth between the central or coastal route but haven't made up my mind yet. Currently I'm leaning toward the central route and perhaps do the coastal route on another Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back