• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coastal route - starting in Porto on July 3rd, 2015

Irneska

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2nd, 2015: camino portuguese along the coast (then Baiona or Valencia).
Is there anyone who is going to walk the coastal route starting around July 3rd?
I am planning to leave Porto (Matosinhos) on Friday and walk along the ocean
(Portugal side) Porto - Matosinhos - Vila do Conde - Pavoa da Varzim - Rio Alto - Esposende - Marinhas - Viana do Castelo - Caminha - Valencia -
(Spanish side) - Tui - Redondela - Pontevedra - Portela - O Pino - Padron - Teo - Santiago de Compostella.

I know that there are not so many people walking this route, this is also the reason why I hae choosen this one, but it would be to know (and maybe meet) some of you, walking this lonely route!

Bom caminho!

Elizabeth

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
May I recommend the monastery at Herbon instead of Padron? It is absolutely amazing!!

Is there anyone who is going to walk the coastal route starting around July 3rd?
I am planning to leave Porto (Matosinhos) on Friday and walk along the ocean
(Portugal side) Porto - Matosinhos - Vila do Conde - Pavoa da Varzim - Rio Alto - Esposende - Marinhas - Viana do Castelo - Caminha - Valencia -
(Spanish side) - Tui - Redondela - Pontevedra - Portela - O Pino - Padron - Teo - Santiago de Compostella.

I know that there are not so many people walking this route, this is also the reason why I hae choosen this one, but it would be to know (and maybe meet) some of you, walking this lonely route!

Bom caminho!

Elizabeth
Hello Elizabeth and welcome, sorry not this year but my wife and I will walk it next year. But I wish you a great time and a Bom Caminho, Peter.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Elizabeth,
Welcome
I will be starting from Porto on Tuesday morning, than Matosinhos, Póvoa de Varzim, Esposende, Viana do Castelo, A Guarda, Mougás, A Ramallosa, Vigo, Redondela, Pontevedra, Armenteira, Villanova de Arousa, Pontecesures, Santiago.
Boom Caminho, Suzan

Hi Elizabeth and Susan,

As Albertinho points out why not continue along the coast? It won't be that lonely for you although you might not see that many pilgrims you will pass alot of friendly people and communities...! These videos summarise the route nicely for you :

Hi Elizabeth and Susan,

As Albertinho points out why not continue along the coast? It won't be that lonely for you although you might not see that many pilgrims you will pass alot of friendly people and communities...! These videos summarise the route nicely for you :

I am following the coast ;)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
May I recommend the monastery at Herbon instead of Padron? It is absolutely amazing!!
Dear Kiwi-family!

Thank you for this advice - I put it on my list and will definitely think about going through Herbon.

Elisabeth. Welcome on the forum
Read a little bit back on this forum. The last few weeks there is published a lot about the coastal route. I placed some vids among others the variante espiritual from Pontevedra and a blog of our recent caminho along the coast.

If you want to walk the real coastal you should cross the Minho river in Caminha and head for A Guarda , Oia, Baiona and Vigo to Redondela. In Pontevedra the variante espiritual to Vila Nova de Arousa and take the boat to Padrón. Very beautiful.

Dear Albertinho!
yes I am going through all the posts about the coast route in this forum. They are amazingly helpful.
My original plan was to go from Caminha to A Guarda, but considering the fact that after couple days of "not meeting" enough pilgrims I will get a bit lonely. I think I will decide it on the way, and keep the option open. For me it is definitely worth to keep on going along the ocean, but afraid of getting to lonely ;)
Thanks, though!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Dear 19SY69!
Which day are you leaving? are you walking alone?
Maybe we see us on the way?!

Bom caminho!

I will start walking tuesday the 7th. A friend of my will walk with me, but she's not sure if she will be walking all the way to Santiago. If you think you will be feeling lonely, you're always welcome to join or meet somewhere on the way! :)

Hello everyone. It's my first time to post here but I have been 'researching'...sifting through the forum for the last 2 weeks, and gravitated here since I have planned to do the Camino Portugués on the last week of November to first week December. Just booked my ticket this afternoon for a 30-hour air travel (jet-lag challenge).

I will land in Porto , stay for a day, then take the train to Viano do Castelo and stay overnight , sightsee , before I start my walk. Similar to the previous poster, I plan to walk til Caminha on the first day, then proceed to Valença or Tui the next day, with the succeeding days following the typical Interior route. My reason for this hybrid approach is that I reckon 'coastal overload' might overwhelm a First-time Camino walker like me, and I do like to engage and meet other pilgrims along the way. Plus I reckon the wind of the coast might be colder around that time.

Passing off the chance to see the wonderful coastline from A Guarda to Vigo during that time (hopefully I could do them in the years to come), would anybody care to comment on the route from Caminha to Tui, if albergues would be open November-December, and any foreseeable challenges?

Your inputs would be very much appreciated. Bom Caminho!

Welcome to the Forum! You must be so excited now as you plan your late autumn camino! Once you arrive in Spain at Tui all the Xunta albergues going up to Santiago should be open; generally they rarely close and are a great bargain at 6 euros a night. Walking into Tui from Valenca do Minho across the 19th century International bridge attributed to Eiffel is a wonderful experience especially at dusk when the lights are lit.

Happy preparation and Bom caminho!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you very much, mspath. Starting my conditioning and logistical preparations. Wish me luck and Bom Caminho!

would anybody care to comment on the route from Caminha to Tui, if albergues would be open November-December, and any foreseeable challenges?

The route is well signed from Caminha to Valenca. If you want a shorter day there is an albergue in Vila Nova de Cerveira, but I don't know when it is opened. I walked Caminha to Valenca in one day, but would stop at VNdC if I did it again.

I'm in Coimbra at the moment and making my way to Porto also doing the Caminho alone. I'm planning on spending a number of days in Porto. I was thinking about leaving Porto on the 7th, if you're flexible with dates we may be able to walk together.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm in Coimbra at the moment and making my way to Porto also doing the Caminho alone. I'm planning on spending a number of days in Porto. I was thinking about leaving Porto on the 7th, if you're flexible with dates we may be able to walk together.

Will you also be walking the coastal?

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
Hi everyone, I did the CF in 2022 and found the planning quite easy as there were albergues all the way so yiu can walk as much or as little as you please and there is always somewhere to stay. I...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back