• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

código de buenas prácticas

DettheKangaroo

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2024
You're probably all aware of this already but I just found out - from a look at the local news - two points of particular interest for us wandering pilgrims:

A código de buenas prácticas (code of conduct) has been introduced for pilgrims in Santiago DC in the past week. The G television report interviewed a few pilgrims outside the Cathedral who seemed unaware. Another report pointed to cases of people "picnicing in the Praza do Obradoiro", sleeping outdoors overnight in sleeping bags and noisiness as inappropriate behaviour. I think the focus at present is more on public awareness than penalties - but I'd think fines are on the table.[/HEADING]

I quite like the slogan - "You have the right to enjoy it and the obligation to take care of it!"

Tourist Tax: A bill has been proposed for a DAILY tourist tax to be introduced across Galicia's most culturally popular locations - including Santiago De Compostela.
They're looking at charging between 0.5 Euros in pensiones and 2.5 Euros in five-star hotels (charged at max of 6 days regardless of duration)
If approved, there will be exemptions for some travellers, including under-18s and those living with a disability "equal to or greater than 66 percent."

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Santiago isn´t the only city having problems with visitors: Barcelona, Amsterdam, Venice are just three cities where the influx of visitors has caused locals to complain and where sheer numbers have put a strain on public services such as police, health and transport as well as pushing up the price of housing. Misbehaviour by some visitors has not exactly helped endear them to the resident population. A tax to help meet the cost and a code of conduct to reduce anti-social behaviour sound like a good idea.

Yes the new code went into effect on Monday, I believe. It includes things like not riding your bike in pedestrian areas, not playing music in the plaza, not eating in the plaza, not drinking alcohol on the plaza, not banging your poles or walking sticks on the paving stones, not sleeping in the plaza, etc.

The story I read said that there are not currently ordinances for all these, but the new mayor is going to encourage the city council to consider fines, etc.

Several stories over recent weeks in La Voz about locals being run down by bikes, and videos of pilgrims eating, drinking, playing music, sleeping. Ivar has also mentioned it in one of his videos.

Wondering what will happen with the bagpipers since that location is also nearby...wonder if they will clear out the circus of mimes, etc?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Wondering what will happen with the bagpipers since that location is also nearby.
The bagpipers and other musicians in the space/gate before you enter the Obradoiro square have a licence from the city administration. They work on a rota basis and strictly during the permitted time of the day.

wonder if they will clear out the circus of mimes, etc
This comment is not aimed at any poster in particular, it's just to say that it often amuses me greatly when the medieval patrimony needs protection from the less spiritual and the less aesthetical and the less non-commercial. We want it to be medieval looking but please not too much medieval scenery - what did the spaces around the Cathedral look like in the years from 1140 to 1492 I wonder? Who was milling around there, the sights, the smells, the noises, the ongoing daily activities ... 🤭

In any case, this Code of Good Practice is a good move and apparently necessary.

This comment is not aimed at any poster in particular, it's just to say that it often amuses me greatly when the medieval patrimony needs protection from the less spiritual and the less aesthetical and the less non-commercial. We want it to be medieval looking but please not too much medieval scenery - what did the spaces around the Cathedral look like in the years from 1140 to 1492 I wonder? Who was milling around there, the sights, the smells, the noises, the ongoing daily activities ... 🤭
Probably people selling scallop shells for the return trip, but I doubt a St James look a like with silver make up was posing for photos or a tourist train clattering around...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I saw some pretty deplorable behaviour today - people physically pushing others out of their way to race into the Cathedral once the Botafumeiro Mass had finished. A girl and her friends clearly and desperately wanted some attention by wearing an inflatable pig costume through the Praza da Obradoiro in the morning.
The 'Me First-Look At Me' pandemic almost every few metres made me wonder why are so many actually here.
And then I also saw some sweeter signs of humanity (together with their canine friends). It will certainly be interesting to see how/if there will be any effect on the rather ugly side of this otherwise very beautiful journey.

Yes the new code went into effect on Monday, I believe. It includes things like not riding your bike in pedestrian areas, not playing music in the plaza, not eating in the plaza, not drinking alcohol on the plaza, not banging your poles or walking sticks on the paving stones, not sleeping in the plaza, etc.
Can you point us to a copy of the new code? It would be helpful. Thanks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Don't know if you can access this? Several articles in La Voz the past few weeks. This is one.
I've seen this article and the photo, and I think that I found copies of the code online but they do not say "not playing music in the plaza, not eating in the plaza, not drinking alcohol on the plaza". The one I found says in point 7:

7. VISUAL QUALITY
The cityscape surrounding you is of exceptional value: it is not a picnic area or a campsite. Discover Santiago as a gastronomy capital in our magnificent restaurants.
This is why I wonder whether there is another new code and if so whether there is a link to it.

The code sounds like a sound move forward and a tourist tax is becoming more common. I'm less sure about a pilgrim tax though and as a pilgrim, I wouldn't be happy being considered a tourist, especially after all the years of Spain and SdC in particular promoting the pilgrimage and encouraging people to walk as pilgrims.

I've seen this article and the photo, and I think that I found copies of the code online but they do not say "not playing music in the plaza, not eating in the plaza, not drinking alcohol on the plaza". The one I found says in point 7:

7. VISUAL QUALITY
The cityscape surrounding you is of exceptional value: it is not a picnic area or a campsite. Discover Santiago as a gastronomy capital in our magnificent restaurants.
This is why I wonder whether there is another new code and if so whether there is a link to it.
I just know there was a reference to guitar playing, eating and drinking as being looked down on although is perhaps no specific ordinance so a fine could be exacted. I have read several articles in the past months and not sure specifically if there was a link to this new code.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So many finish the physical Camino, but many more have a long way to go toward working on their pride and conceit. It seems so simple - respect for others over oneself.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...
Hello, What time does the office close in Santiago today? The website lists different times in different places.
Hi All, Me and my boyfriend planned to go to Armenteira tomorrow on the Spiritual Variant. But now we faced that everything is booked already in Armenteira… We found a whole house on Booking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back