• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Collapsed black diamond z poles don’t lock anymore

Aimzywynn

Time of past OR future Camino
Choquequirao
Hi all. I bought my z poles a while back and collapsed them in storage. I recently pulled them out for a new hike and saw that the plastic inserts inside the poles started to degrade. When I try to extend it, the joints are loose and don’t lock anymore so the extended pole isn’t secure. Wondering if anyone has any tips to fix this. Hate to trash them after just a single use!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Maybe they were close to some materials/chemicals than makes the plastic to degrade faster or easier. Also those poles were designed for trail running, not for backpacking, so using them for that might shorten their life expectancy. Just my thoughts. Maybe I´m wrong. Best regards

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi all. I bought my z poles a while back and collapsed them in storage. I recently pulled them out for a new hike and saw that the plastic inserts inside the poles started to degrade. When I try to extend it, the joints are loose and don’t lock anymore so the extended pole isn’t secure. Wondering if anyone has any tips to fix this. Hate to trash them after just a single use!
If broken, duct tape is your friend.

I had one of my BD poles locking mechanism break last year while on the Camino del Norte. Couldn't get it fixed. Fortunately I only had two days without it. When I got home and called BD they said it was out of warranty ( 6 yrs old), but they did give me a 60% discount on my current poles.
I finished the Camino today and they were wonderful. Light, strong, and fold up very small.

Contact Black Diamond Customer Service. They are very good. Here is the contact information for those in the US:

In most cases, your poles can either be adjusted, or the worn out parts replaced. I have even used spray silicone on my internal silicone bands to rejuvenate them for one more Camino. I also store my poles without tension on the joint hardware, I allow them to hand loose in a closet.

If you noodle about the website, you will find other useful links.

Hope this helps,

Tom

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Gosh, seems so soon for them to go wrong. I have walked 1000s of kilometers with my Black Diamond Z-Poles and so far they have worked fine. Since they are getting old, I do worry they will give out on me at an inopportune time. Your post is making me worry even more.

If broken, duct tape is your friend.

Agree! One of my Decathlon poles started to fall apart after 2 days. I used duct tape to hold them together very successful for a very long Camino. And easy to collapse them again for the flight home. I will use the same poles (and new duct tape) for my next Camino.

I had one of my BD poles locking mechanism break last year while on the Camino del Norte. Couldn't get it fixed. Fortunately I only had two days without it. When I got home and called BD they said it was out of warranty ( 6 yrs old), but they did give me a 60% discount on my current poles.
I finished the Camino today and they were wonderful. Light, strong, and fold up very small.
Locking button on my BRAND NEW z’s broke on first day of hiking del Norte last month. I jammed a twig into the hole where button used to be and duct taped it into place. Did not collapse second pole after that for fear same thing would happen. 12 days later, button on second pole disintegrated. Plugged that one with fat tooth picks at a cafe. Both poles finished the camino on my field repairs. Back in the USA now fighting to get a new pair (warranty is 2 years, by the way) with better design and sturdier materials. You can apparently get a 5 year warranty on that new pair, which sounds like the ones I just bought, by registering them. You are gonna need it!

I had the 6 year old version that I had to field-repair 4 Camino’s in a row for various reasons. BD was good about sending parts until both internal strings broke last spring. They only gave me a 40% off coupon for the new ones, although I asked for more. You were lucky… sort of…

And to the post saying z’s were only for running, No, that is a different model. My z’s are for backpacking and running. They also cost more.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Maybe they were close to some materials/chemicals than makes the plastic to degrade faster or easier. Also those poles were designed for trail running, not for backpacking, so using them for that might shorten their life expectancy. Just my thoughts. Maybe I´m wrong. Best regards
Hmmm, if that is the case, then MEC should not have sold them to me for backpacking....

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.