• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Communal dinners

DPetronio

Time of past OR future Camino
5/23
My son and I are walking the Portuguese Camino next May. He is Vegetarian, and we are also looking for some communal dinners. Any advice?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Communal dinners in albergues are actually pretty rare.

Look for the covered dish symbol on Gronze.

Screenshot_20231022_114814_Firefox.jpg
The large pot symbol means that there is a kitchen available. Many pilgrims will make their own communal dinner with others using albergue kitchens.

One of the things I enjoyed about the Camino was letting go - taking the pilgrim meal that was offered, and ordering "un vino tinto" without asking what varieties were available. Never disappointed with what I was offered (and I am normally a pescetarian).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I encountered two communal dinners but that were on the Portuguese central. Casa
Fernanda in Lugar do Conde and Ninho/Pilgrims Nest in Rubiaes. I don’t know anything about the coastal, sorry.

Last edited:
Whilst I too have no personal experience, but given that Portugal is the second highest fish eating country in the world (after Japan) you and your son should be able to join in this pilgrim experience. Maybe inquire of the hospitalero when you check in. If there is one on that night offer to help with the process. I think you will find that there are more and more " vegos" on the Camino. Cheers

I encountered two communal dinners but that were on the Portuguese central. Casa
Fernanda in Lugar do Conde and Ninho/Pilgrims Nest in Rubiaes. I don’t know anything about the coastal, sorry.
When I stayed at Ninho in Rubiães in September 2022, there was no communal dinner at the albergue. Everybody went to a restaurant a few hundred meters down the road.
The communal dinner at Casa Fernanda, of course, is legendary.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My son and I are walking the Portuguese Camino next May. He is Vegetarian, and we are also looking for some communal dinners. Any advice?
Whilst I too have no personal experience, but given that Portugal is the second highest fish eating country in the world (after Japan) you and your son should be able to join in this pilgrim experience.
Fish is not vegetarian.

For @DPetronio, there aren’t many (any?) communal dinners on the CP Coastal, and traditional Portuguese restaurants are generally lacking in vegetarian options, as the menu is typically divided into two sections: meat and fish.

But fortunately there are some options. Going quickly back through my own CP Coastal last year, here are some restaurants with veg choices: À Moda Antiga in Viana do Castelo has a veg burger and veg super salad, Sebastião in Caminho has a veg lasagna and a veg pizza, and La Pepita Burger Bar in Baiona has two veg burgers.

Personally, when I end up in an albergue that offers a communal dinner, and the hospitaleros don't ask if there are vegetarians there that evening to prepare something seperately, I'll just eat what is vegetarian anyway. Sometimes that's only bread and salad but that's okay. It's easy to ask for a bit of salad to be put aside before tuna is added - no extra work for the hospitaleros. But often the hospitaleros even asked, any vegetarians today? And then would prepare a version without meat.

Easiest option is to prepare a communal dinner yourself, together with other pilgrims! Those who want to add some meat can still do so seperately. All you need is an albergue with kitchen, a food shop nearby, and then ask around, "who's interested in cooking/eating together?". Especially younger pilgrims on a budget are usually happy to join.

It is a lot of fun, too, and a good way to get to know your fellow pilgrims.

I had a really lovely vegetarian communal dinner at O Lagar de Jesus, just after Padron (so final night before walking into Santiago) last month. Really good albergue and lovely hosts too. Would definitely recommend 👌🏻

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My daughters and I stayed at the Ninho/Pilgrims Nest in Rubiaes in June and there was a meal. You had a choice of meat or vegetarian. My girls got the vegetarian and it was very good when I tasted it. I toook the meat, chicken. It was also very good. Wish I had chosen the vegetarian as they brought out a platter of extra chicken for everyone to share, I could have had the best of both worlds.
One of my daughters just asked if anyone knows the brand of vinho verde they serve with dinner. She loved it and felt it was the best vinho verde she had on the camino Portugues.

Vegetarian communal meals in Portugal are rather unlikely.

The Portuguese are VERY strong on communal eating, and when they walk in groups from their villages to Fátima, and on religious Feast days, communal eating is a matter of course. But pretty much they are not vegetarian.

The one place I *do* remember as having a vegetarian option in that scenario was at the excellent donativo Albergue Casa Catolico at Branca.

Last edited:
My wife and I stayed at three Albergues on the Portugese Central route in April 2023 where we had communal dinners. In addition to Casa Fernanda, I thoroughly recommend Quinta Estrada Romana at Pacos, (9 km north of Rubiaes).
Also Casa Alternativo at Orbenlle, which is north of Tui.
Both are likely to be able to offer a vege alternative, particularly if you ask in advance.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
When I stayed at Ninho in Rubiães in September 2022, there was no communal dinner at the albergue. Everybody went to a restaurant a few hundred meters down the road.
The communal dinner at Casa Fernanda, of course, is legendary.
I went in April 2023 so maybe it’s a new thing.

I did not partake of it, but there was a vegetarian communal dinner at the Bom Caminha Albergue in Caminha on the Coastal.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I always let the places I was staying know I was a vegetarian when I booked. That way, if it wasa communal meal and they were able to prepare something vegetarian we both felt good. It's hard to be a vegetarian on the Camino. Some people think "there's plenty of bread and pasta", but vegetarians know that's not a healthy meal that will enable you to keep up the pace day after day.

I had a really lovely vegetarian communal dinner at O Lagar de Jesus, just after Padron (so final night before walking into Santiago) last month. Really good albergue and lovely hosts too. Would definitely recommend 👌🏻
I’d second that . Wonderful albergue and great meal . I stayed there in June . It’s worth remembering that lots of the communal meals are vegetarian. I guess it’s easier to cater for diverse needs and it’s cheaper too. Enjoy your Camino .

The one place I *do* remember as having a vegetarian option in that scenario was at the excellent donativo Albergue Casa Catolico at Branca.
At Oasis Trails (Villamayor de Monjardín), we would prepare a separate portion for vegans or gluten-free if we were informed before 16:00. I haven’t been there since 2019, but I’m confident they will still be accommodating.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I recommend the Happy Cow app. It finds restaurants with vegetarian/vegan offerings all over the world. I’ve used it in Portugal, Spain, and France in my iPhone. It’s free.

At Oasis Trails (Villamayor de Monjardín), we would prepare a separate portion for vegans or gluten-free if we were informed before 16:00. I haven’t been there since 2019, but I’m confident they will still be accommodating.
My impression on the Coastal last year was that, apart from restaurants etc with veggie/vegan options, the closer you got to Spain the more frequent these choices became.

Similar just over the border with Spain near Vilar Formoso in a completely different area of Portugal.

And of course Porto ...

The Bom Caminha hostel in Caminha and Casa Gwendoline Vila Nova Cerveira hostel both make a communal vegetarian dinner with a meat option.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I did coastal, senda littoral and there was no communal meals. I ate at the nearest restaurant, early...

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
Another wonderful walking day! Definitely feeling it in my legs today- a few more stretch breaks needed! And lots of wonderful places to take them! Theme for the day boardwalks! Received a few...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back